2013 SRT Viper - Main Thread

Kisco

They need to give it paddle shifters as well. I would want to buy a car like this, but feel that a 6 speed would make it dangerous to drive with so much hp. But overall, I feel it is a very nice car. If it had paddle shifters than more people would be able to buy it and it could make more money.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one knows what the car weighs until it gets on an actual scale, with actual gas in it, in the actual real world. Any comparisons of the car's anticipated hp/weight ratio will need to wait until that point.

For all we know a ZR-1 has a better real-world power/weight ratio at this point, and a ZR-1 is nowhere near as fast to 150mph as an Aventador is.

Let's play bench-racer later, for now stick to the what we do know and can confirm.

Personally I don't think it's performance is going to be a problem, that's never been a weak point for this car during it's entire history. It will certainly be fast enough, but will it feel better behind the wheel...that's what remains to be seen.

The new Viper is supposed to have the full accoutrement of electronic braking and traction control assists. Should help improve road feel no??

Here's the 2013 Viper spec sheet for both models. Its 54 pages long.

http://www.viperexchange.com/images/2013-s...-spec-sheet.pdf

No, it's not. An FR layout can't perform as well as a mid-engine AWD layout even with a superior power/weight ratio.

The ratio isn't what makes the car move, it's traction. The Viper, like all high-horsepower FR cars will always be traction limited in it's performance off the line. There's only so much you can ask of the rear wheels, for that reason the new Viper's rear tires are of the 355 mil variety. Holy shit BTW!

The fcuking thing's built out of steel! STEEL! Are you kidding me?

Nobody's asking them to build a Pagani masterpiece carbon tub, but at least aluminum. Damn!

I think bushido is referring to circuit track performance. Street racing yes the AWD car will have the advantage over a RWD car most of the time. But on a circuit track that's not the case.

Also you need to read up on the specs before you lose it about the steel thing lol. The chassis is new re-engineered version of the outgoing one and a mix of high strength steel, magnesium and aluminum. Its also 30lbs lighter and 50% stronger than the old dominating ACRs chassis. The car is over 100lbs lighter than the out going model and lighter than the Aventador, ZR1, GTR etc. I just dont see the problem.

Here's a video of one of the engineers talking about the chassis and overall Viper design.

Engineer talking about 2013 Viper

I'm with you, I bet once this car actually hits the streets it will be embarrassing quite a few of the new "supercars"... and when the ACR comes out well look the fcuk out.

Forged internals is huge! I believe the compression is a little higher on this car, and the multi-air (I believe it has this) might make things a little complicated, but it's ready to eat some boost.

I'm still itching for a sapphire gts that got an arrow motor with the 99 cam and guts. . . just can't get the current owner to turn loose of it.

fwiw I'm a viper lover. Drive one that is dialed in and they are absolutely amazing cars.

Be interested to see if it can be boosted with the ECU. Owned a Gen IV and the lack of boost options seemed to be driven by the ECU.

I may be in the minority, but I like it! In the preliminary spy shots, I didn't care for it. Now that there are clear pics and videos of it, I really like it.

Can't wait to see what the mags get out of it. Should be a 130 mph car.

I may be in the minority, but I like it! In the preliminary spy shots, I didn't care for it. Now that there are clear pics and videos of it, I really like it.

Can't wait to see what the mags get out of it. Should be a 130 mph car.

I'll join you. I'm really liking the new viper a lot, the more I see clearer pics & videos of it. I can easily see this being my next acquisition.

From what I read the V10 does not have multi air yet. So thats 640hp without the benefit of multi air. They gotta be holding that back for the ACR or maybe a bump in hp in a year or two. Or maybe for when the C7 ZR1 comes out.

I am disappointed in the color options as according to the 54 page specs there are only 5 or 6 colors (?). No orange or green? And the interior option colors are red and tan beyond the standard black. I didn't think they would open it up to any color but I thought there would be a few more colors!

I am disappointed in the color options as according to the 54 page specs there are only 5 or 6 colors (?). No orange or green? And the interior option colors are red and tan beyond the standard black. I didn't think they would open it up to any color but I thought there would be a few more colors!

From what I heard at the Autoshow and on the Vforums it will be a very highly customizable car from the factory. You will be able to choose unique colors etc. This was preliminary info but I remember reading them saying that they wanted to be like the high end automfg's that offer what ever color options the customer wanted like Porsche etc. I just cant remember where I read it or I would link it. We shall see. Its all talk for now. But I like the direction they are going with this car.

I'll join you. I'm really liking the new viper a lot, the more I see clearer pics & videos of it. I can easily see this being my next acquisition.

:iamwithstupid:

Sick car! Really liking it. More emotional than most new Ferrari's imo.

From what I heard at the Autoshow and on the Vforums it will be a very highly customizable car from the factory. You will be able to choose unique colors etc. This was preliminary info but I remember reading them saying that they wanted to be like the high end automfg's that offer what ever color options the customer wanted like Porsche etc. I just cant remember where I read it or I would link it. We shall see. Its all talk for now. But I like the direction they are going with this car.

I also remember them saying that but I'm just not sure when that will be available. Doesn't look like 2013 MY

Sick car! Really liking it. More emotional than most new Ferrari's imo.

So all of you guys who say you love it really believe in your heart of hearts that it looks good?

Or is it more about a teeny-tiny bit of nostalgia creeping in there for previous owners who enjoyed the cars years ago and now look back at the brand with rose-colored glasses... :eusa_think:

Something to think about, because to me this new one looks horrible compared to the previous cars:

01_2013_str_viper_spy_shots_1335213163.jpg

So all of you guys who say you love it really believe in your heart of hearts that it looks good?

Or is it more about a teeny-tiny bit of nostalgia creeping in there for previous owners who enjoyed the cars years ago and now look back at the brand with rose-colored glasses... :eusa_think:

Something to think about, because to me this new one looks horrible compared to the previous cars:

Oh wow, that looks horrible

Awful color on that car. I bet within a month of it being delivered someone has a front facia which emulates the GTS and it turns into a home run.

You're supposed to say that and feel that way. You are a POS guy :icon_mrgreen:

BTW Ralph Gilles tweeted that its a preproduction mule and the ride height and panel gaps are not production spec. As for the yellow I think its the wrong shade of yellow for a car like this. It needs a perlescent effect maybe to add some richness and depth. This color doesnt accentuate the curves it hides it a bit. A pearlecent would play nicely off the curves.

A test mule ( prototype)..

From Ralph Gilles himself via twitter -

"Friends @ autoblog got a spy shot of one our early test Vipers height is not correct and gaps not to spec. She is destined for the wall : ("

• 3 weeks later...
Boring so far. But again, as I said in my post, it's never going to be some radical redesign.

They're following the POS playbook, which is to never deviate too far from what the base audience wants, which is to buy the same car over and over and over and over again apparantly. :icon_mrgreen:

Just curious, but don't Porsche and Lamborghini do this as well? Porsche has had the same basic design for their cars since forever, and the Lambo models are a continuous evolution with each new model so I mean why do people want the Viper changed radically?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the new Viper in person this weekend and I think it's hot!

Ralph Gilles (SRT CEO) was there, too, and he had some informative comments about the car.