Diablo Roadster question

gemlender

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Diablo Roadster.  I have been drooling over Roy's 97 black /red one.   I like the looks of the 97 but was wondering if the 99 roadster was any more advanced or better.  I like the interior layout of the 99 but the exterior lines of the 97.   Can anyone give me the good or bad on the year models. 

Right now I have an 04G and a 996 TT.   I'm sure the driving is much different.   Any advice or details would be helpful.   

Thanks 

Only major cosmetic difference between 97 and 99 are the fixed headlamps on the latter. Everything else is more or less the same save a few changes in badge placement on the rear grille here or there.

Inside, the interior layout is the same as the later 6.0 and as such is a bit more ergonomic.

Mechanically, 99s had the uprated variable valve timing which kicked up horsepower from 492-530hp (or so the factory claimed).

The 99s are a very sought after car, and I'd probably wait around for the right one to come around, although Roy's 97 Black/Red is a gorgeous car with a very unique color combo.

Good luck in your search.

Tough call. What it boils down to is whether or not you like the exposed lights or not. Interior wise, they're both fine, I don't care for the newer interior unless it's a 6.0.

The brakes are much better on 98 and up cars. 98 and up cars also have much better ignition system then 97 and variable valve timing. If you get a 99.5 they have the upgraded heads different valve cover and end caps which leak oil allot less and you can use the better 6.0 gsks.

My thoughts are a 99.5 roadster is much better car then 97.

there is a red late 99 on ebay that just got listed

Thanks, I have been looking at that one. Not sure I want red or silver. But it is nice.

Jeff is correct, the 98/99 cars have the larger 18" wheels, as wheel as larger brakes a VVT. also some elctrical upgrades. The 99 have the expsoed headlight and a sliughtly changed dash. The 99/1/2 most where the Milliniuj edition do have the upgraded 6.0 engine partsd as well.

I think for cosmetics, you first need to decide exposed or non exposed headlights, if exposed you go for a 99, if pop up lights, you have 97 971/2 and 98 cars. I prefer the 97 over the 97 1/2 due to the UGLY ASS passanger air bag. I dont even like it in the 98 cars.

The 97 cars can easily be fitted with the larger 18" 98/99 wheels, ( I have a set available). IMO, unless you are tracking your car, the brakes is not a major issue, and you can upgrade them if you wish. From my experiance, the HP has not been that noticeable from 97 to 98 cars.

I do have a 98 Roadster just came in, have not advertised much yet as well.

I can tell you the 97 is stunning in and tip top shape.

Of course the later years will cost more as well.

I am open to offers.

Here is the pic of the 98, it was delivered in the snow last week. I have service I want done to it prior to sale, want to make sure it is the way I would drive one of my own cars. The interior is Black, also a pretty rare option. I am thinking of removing the wing, does not look right to me on Roadster cars.

post-23696-1327383710.jpg

I would go with the 99. To me the car felt more complete than the previous years and you got better brakes and an extra 30hp. the layout is very nice and fit and finish was at its best...though mine did have runs in the paint, crack in rear fender so on... all the things that made it an italian hand built car :lol2:

I would go with the 99. To me the car felt more complete than the previous years and you got better brakes and an extra 30hp. the layout is very nice and fit and finish was at its best...though mine did have runs in the paint, crack in rear fender so on... all the things that made it an italian hand built car :lol2:

Only thing that was different between 98/99 was cosmetic changes until mid year 99 when it got the heads change. This did not change power just less of a chance of a oil leak. Very late 99 cars got some gearing changes.

Nice 98 Roy leave the wing on it and let the next owner decide as most all US cars in 98/99 came with the wing from the Factory.

Only thing that was different between 98/99 was cosmetic changes until mid year 99 when it got the heads change. This did not change power just less of a chance of a oil leak. Very late 99 cars got some gearing changes.

Nice 98 Roy leave the wing on it and let the next owner decide as most all US cars in 98/99 came with the wing from the Factory.

Gasp! Regardless thats what I remember the manual saying, wouldnt be the first time they could have exaggerated

I prefer the coupe, but if I were to choose between these two, I would go black over red 1997.

I agree, go with a coupe. The roadsters look like an El Camino to me.

I agree, go with a coupe. The roadsters look like an El Camino to me.

Thanks for your input but I am wanting a Roadster. To each his own...

(and what's wrong with an El Camino? Lol )

Lol! They are pretty cool!

Great.... I'll just buy the El Camino and save money. Next someone will show me how the CT looks like a Fiero. There goes all my childhood fantistys and dreams

Here is the pic of the 98, it was delivered in the snow last week. I have service I want done to it prior to sale, want to make sure it is the way I would drive one of my own cars. The interior is Black, also a pretty rare option. I am thinking of removing the wing, does not look right to me on Roadster cars.

Uh, Roy, I can't imagine my car w/o the wing, would look naked, but that's just me. I also love my wheels though Steve bitches about 'em. Saw you a few times on Speed Chnl at B/J. Love the '99 SV, but silver?? How much to get it repainted in Canada in my blue?

Roadster vs coupe...Rdstr has 3 distinct looks, roof on, turtle back and roof left at home. regular coupe could get boring, SV, not so much..

roadster do loook better wingless

i found one for my 97 but decided to keep it as it left factory

Normal/Coupe is by far the better looking. Choosing from the roadsters I would have to say with popup lights, the open headligts looks very aftermarket on anything other than the 6.0 IMO.

But who cares what we thinks, get the the one YOU like, and maybe give the Brake upgrade a thought, if brake performance is important to you.

Great.... I'll just buy the El Camino and save money. Next someone will show me how the CT looks like a Fiero. There goes all my childhood fantistys and dreams

Diablo/Fiero GT. Enjoy :icon_super:

post-73833-1327495620.jpg

Roy, Emilio, I'd be happy to take a Roadster wing off your hands.

there was one for sale in US

new OEM

asking 3k$ i think

I definitely say leave the spoiler on roy...really finishes/balances the car.

we all knwo the newew lambos are can really be beat on...what about the diablos? what are the major issues/problems esp with the roadsters? Anyone have a run down of the years and the potential issues/faults?