1 dead, 4 wounded at Ohio high school

Gilligan740

They say there was possibly up to 4 kids involved in the plot and one snippit i heard was that a shooter at one time was chasing a kid down a hall while shooting. WTF!

This is getting old quick. What the hell is wrong with people

The problem is we keep putting up with the problems rather than solving them. This guy will be thrown in jail for a few years, "rehabilitated", and back out on the streets to do something stupid again. All while tax payers are funding his housing, meals, guidance, education, etc. Big joke IMO.

The problem is we keep putting up with the problems rather than solving them. This guy will be thrown in jail for a few years, "rehabilitated", and back out on the streets to do something stupid again. All while tax payers are funding his housing, meals, guidance, education, etc. Big joke IMO.

38% cheaper than the death penalty though.

38% cheaper than the death penalty though.

What about firing squads? 5 guys firing. One hour of pay each. Five rounds total. So ~ $126.25?

I'm usually against the death penalty in most cases. I say make them work for the state....

What about firing squads? 5 guys firing. One hour of pay each. Five rounds total. So ~ $126.25?

I'm usually against the death penalty in most cases. I say make them work for the state....

That's the cheap part. It's the 'due process' that ends up costing big bucks. I LOVE the concept of capital punishment, my worry is accuracy. What's the acceptable % for killing innocent people? 5%? 1%? There is no case possible in which one could be 100% certain of another's guilt and therein lies the problem. If one could be certain, I say go old school and draw & quarter, disembowel, etc.

We're overlooking the real outcomes with these school shootings. This is actually a rarity. Usually by the time the cops arrive the shooter is among the dead having recently had a bullet sandwich with a side of self-inflicted head disassembly.

This is a lucky case where the shooter is in custody and can be questioned, tried and punished. The families will have an opportunity to come to a courtroom and watch him be told that he will spend the rest of his life in prison. Or, less likely in my opinion, that he will be put to death. They will be able to testify and describe the pain and suffering he has caused. Today was the most significant day of his life, which is now effectively over.

I always hate to hear that a shooter has killed themselves because they've taken the "easy way out."

What I would like to hear even more than "shooter in custody," though, is "shooter shot/killed by lawfully-armed bystander!"

We're overlooking the real outcomes with these school shootings. This is actually a rarity. Usually by the time the cops arrive the shooter is among the dead having recently had a bullet sandwich with a side of self-inflicted head disassembly.

This is a lucky case where the shooter is in custody and can be questioned, tried and punished. The families will have an opportunity to come to a courtroom and watch him be told that he will spend the rest of his life in prison. Or, less likely in my opinion, that he will be put to death. They will be able to testify and describe the pain and suffering he has caused. Today was the most significant day of his life, which is now effectively over.

I always hate to hear that a shooter has killed themselves because they've taken the "easy way out."

What I would like to hear even more than "shooter in custody," though, is "shooter shot/killed by lawfully-armed bystander!"

I'm with ya, although being killed is as easy a way out as killing one's self!

I'm with ya, although being killed is as easy a way out as killing one's self!

Almost. It's not on the shooter's terms. That's the part that frustrates me about the self-inflicted GSWs. They're giving themselves a luxury of choice they have just denied innocent people. At least a self-defense/"stop the active shooter" shooting is an intervention and not part of the "plan." Also, being shot by an armed bystander often will not mean certain death. Ideally, you would get the best of both worlds -- attack is stopped and shooter survives to be tried later.

^^ Very true. They almost always take a bullet to the head to get themselves out of it. I wonder this will play out. I agree with the above...firing squad with rusty nail guns.

T.J., he said, normally waits for a bus that goes to Lake Academy, a school in Willoughby that serves at-risk students.

What the hell is that? That might be the problem.

Back in my day they used to call it Juvvy. Then at 18 they'd go to prison. Now we molly coddle these kids and allow them to hurt others.

Maybe we should go back to the old days........

What the hell is that? That might be the problem.

Back in my day they used to call it Juvvy. Then at 18 they'd go to prison. Now we molly coddle these kids and allow them to hurt others.

Maybe we should go back to the old days........

It's because today everyone is a winner, and every life has value. I would argue that not every life has equal value. The shooter being a great example of a life with much less value than others.

It seems like today's Juvvy programs just teach kids to be worse than they were before they went in.

Hanging is always a great option-cost effective as well.

I think Texas and one other state still do it IIRC.

The news this morning said the kid was a "loner who was constantly bullied". Can the defense claim insanity in this case? Because of bullying?

The news this morning said the kid was a "loner who was constantly bullied". Can the defense claim insanity in this case? Because of bullying?

I don't condone bullying, but it seems every bad kid blames bullying. Bullshit, it's time to stand up and take responsiblity for one's actions.

When I was young, a kid I grew up with used to bully me constantly. I literally wanted to kill him (in my stupid kid mind). Instead one day when I had enough I kicked his ass.

Later we became friends. Now he's a convicted felon rebuilding his life.

That's the cheap part. It's the 'due process' that ends up costing big bucks. I LOVE the concept of capital punishment, my worry is accuracy. What's the acceptable % for killing innocent people? 5%? 1%? There is no case possible in which one could be 100% certain of another's guilt and therein lies the problem. If one could be certain, I say go old school and draw & quarter, disembowel, etc.

:iamwithstupid:

True stuff. One of the big barriers standing in front of medieval-style capital punishment is the accuracy of the conviction. Plus there's just something odd about the the "State" killing you legally. Just seems out of date to me. I guess it's just wishful thinking, but it'd be nice if we were past that as a species.

I don't condone bullying, but it seems every bad kid blames bullying. Bullshit, it's time to stand up and take responsiblity for one's actions.

I was bullied in Jr. high. Never really took a hard stand. I always stood somewhere between letting it go and calling them out on it. I guess I had bigger issues to worry about - plus strong support from my parents.

By no means was I trying to justify his actions guys! I was just saying what the local news said this morning.

We (I) knew that :icon_thumleft: