1 dead, 4 wounded at Ohio high school

Gilligan740

Saw this on the news just now...the shooter arriving at court for initial hearing. I'm looking forward to hearing that he's officially to be tried as an adult.

post-10945-1330460552.jpg

:iamwithstupid:

True stuff. One of the big barriers standing in front of medieval-style capital punishment is the accuracy of the conviction. Plus there's just something odd about the the "State" killing you legally. Just seems out of date to me. I guess it's just wishful thinking, but it'd be nice if we were past that as a species.

I was bullied in Jr. high. Never really took a hard stand. I always stood somewhere between letting it go and calling them out on it. I guess I had bigger issues to worry about - plus strong support from my parents.

I hear ya. I always chuckle when people hypocritically say that the state can both sentence one to death and prevent 'one' from dying (no abortion). I think they forget what the meaning of a "right" is! Lol!

My take from the news reports and witness accounts hasn't been that he was bullied so much as he had just fallen out with his group of friends. One of them began dating his ex-girlfriend apparently. I think the media likes to add details when they don't want to waste time learning the facts.

It seemed pretty clear from the stories yesterday that this was not a random mass shooting though. He was targeting a group of kids.

38% cheaper than the death penalty though.

That might be the case maybe but I guess my opinion is we need a tougher system in place. Not just for incidents like this either. There is a reason people keep doing dump shit all the time (robberies, murders, theft, etc.). Bottom line, there are less people being murdered than robbed, and less being robbed than stolen from. Reason IMO is the punishment for the crime. As much as you may want to hurt someone sometimes, for what ever reason, 99% of us don't do it because of the consequence. Most of these people who have very little to lose look at things a little different, sometimes the risk is worth the potential reward. I'm referring to criminals as a whole, not just this individual involved in the shooting.

That might be the case maybe but I guess my opinion is we need a tougher system in place. Not just for incidents like this either. There is a reason people keep doing dump shit all the time (robberies, murders, theft, etc.). Bottom line, there are less people being murdered than robbed, and less being robbed than stolen from. Reason IMO is the punishment for the crime. As much as you may want to hurt someone sometimes, for what ever reason, 99% of us don't do it because of the consequence. Most of these people who have very little to lose look at things a little different, sometimes the risk is worth the potential reward. I'm referring to criminals as a whole, not just this individual involved in the shooting.

I think it's that ignorance is running rampant in our society and dumb people are raising dumb children who do dumb things. I won't go into further detail as it violates forum rules but I think the cause is quite clear and obvious.

This kid's parents were seriously F'd up -- lots of violence, convictions, etc. Twisted people. He was living with his grandparents because his parents weren't functional human beings.

I think it's that ignorance is running rampant in our society and dumb people are raising dumb children who do dumb things. I won't go into further detail as it violates forum rules but I think the cause is quite clear and obvious.

I agree.