Would you buy a 6spd

gdodge

My first Lambo was a 2008 G w/ E gear. I was so totally bored out of my mind! For the routine driving I do 99% of the time I just did not feel connected to the car. Now, on the track, it would def be the way to go. But otherwise, the Egear did nothing for me. Traded it for a 2003 Murcie. Why this one? Found it to be VERY clean and cared for....6-speed in Blue Monterey, the perfect combo in my mind...and I remain thrilled with the car.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The older cars that are closer to the $100k market, appeal to a different buyer. They are guys coming up from other brands and experiencing a Lamborghini for the first time. To them, the manual transmission is the only way to go, a coupe, and most likely, a bright color. When I was looking, I didn't care if an e-Gear was the same price as a manual, I NEEDED a manual transmission. Several manual cars I found, had interiors that I didn't like, or bland colors, so I was very happy to find my low mile 05 6-speed. A Spyder buyer however, would most likely enjoy an e-Gear car more.

I've had both gearboxes. 6 speed is definitely way more fun stock, but if you're going to twin turbo it definitely do egear. My TT is a 6 speed manual, but if I were to do it again it would be egear.

Please explain .... Why ..... I thought the TT crowd would go the other way ............

Please explain .... Why ..... I thought the TT crowd would go the other way ............

Because having nearly a thousand (or more) HP under your right foot being limited by your slow-ass manual shifting gets old reaaaaaaaaaal quick.

Big power amplifies and illustrates the limitations of our poor old human bodies in a big big way... :crybaby2:

Plus most of the TT clients purchase their cars to enjoy them against other big-HP cars. And it's no fun losing because you missed a shift, or were slow, and some equally powerful GT-R whipped your ass because of the error. :icon_thumleft:

Wouldn't have anything but 6-speed on any car, unless there simply was no option for one.

++1

I had to look for quite a while before finding the right color G with 6spd. I only drove 1 e-gear and knew it was not for me.

E-gear is where it's at gents. I was too once set on a 6-speed manual, thinking like all other enthusiast that sport cars should only be driven manually. However, after my first e-gear drive I was hooked. I mean HOOKED. When it came time. to put the money down and get one I went for the e-gear. The 10K was well worth it, I just opted not to get a navigation, saved a little cash that way plus who wouldn't mind getting lost in a lambo spyder, I know I don't. I just put the top down and where ever I'm going I'll find it and have a hell of a time doing it while listening to that engine blip every time I have to down shift.

Because having nearly a thousand (or more) HP under your right foot being limited by your slow-ass manual shifting gets old reaaaaaaaaaal quick.

Big power amplifies and illustrates the limitations of our poor old human bodies in a big big way... :crybaby2:

Plus most of the TT clients purchase their cars to enjoy them against other big-HP cars. And it's no fun losing because you missed a shift, or were slow, and some equally powerful GT-R whipped your ass because of the error. :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

Thank you Mako. It was definitely fun at first, but gets old after you're used to the power and have to shift so damn fast every time you want boost.

I work on a lot of cars. If eGear was the only option, I would not own a Gallardo. 6 Speed 100% without question. I also would not own a Ferrari F1 shifting system.

If you really want a paddle shift car, you need a dual clutch system: Ferrari 458, Porsche PDK, Nissan GTR, etc.

It took me over a year to find my 2008 6speed Gallardo. Seems that 99% of them are eGear.

I was willing to pay a considerable more amount of money for a 6speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think the E-Gear is not only clunky, but now antiquated in comparison to the PDK and other dual clutch transmissions out there.

I also know how to drive and heel-toe and get all the throttle blip I need actively, not passively. As for upshifts, I have complete control of clutch slip manually and guarantee I shift better up than an E-gear does for routine driving. Basically, I never slip the clutch excpet to get rolling and only do that gently. NEVER EVER WOT without my foot off the clutch. The e-gears I have driven slip the crap out of the clutch to create a smooth driving experiencein routine driving. For more spirited driving, e-gear sure does not feel faster to me on track. It's the same transmission, just hydraulic actuators.

But, for resale, I'd fully expect e-gear to sell faster and easier.

Reason: Most Lambo owners and buyers are poseur clowns, unfortunately, and want the car to be "loaded." It takes the enthusiast who is also a competent driver and can get past what I personally think is a bad image of Lambos to buy a 6 speed and most of those guys look harder at Ferrari, Porsche, and even other options like the ZR1.

Hi all, it's my first post and I'm hoping to be a new Lambo owner soon. I just sold my 2009 997tt 6 spd and vowed to only drive auto manuel cars going forward. Part of my buying cycle is I usually only keep it for a season or so and then try to resell for a profit or keep my losses to a minimun. Based on the knoweledge of the forum how detrimental to the resale value of the car would a 6spd stick shift be to a 2008 gallardo spyder ?

I could live with the manuel and be quite happy but probably because I have no intention of keeping the car, would prospective buyers feel the same way?

Would a 10-15k price advantage over an automatic be enough for someone to buy a 6spd car?

Thanks for anyones input,

I, and everyone whom I know with a Lambo, would only ever buy an e-gear

I've always wondered if "older" people....like me...that grew up driving standard transmissions favor 6-speeds and "kids" that have only ever driven automatic transmissions favor the e-gear. Just one guy thinking out loud.

Thanks for all the insight, car has been purchased and it's a 2007 spyder Egear with 970 miles on it. It was a tough decision between a standard and Egear but at the end of the day I think the larger percentage of cars sold with Egear pushed me that way. The other thing I considered was what my next car would be and looking at cars that I would condider moving to other than the Gallardo and none of my picks are available with a standard trans.

• 8 months later...

I paid about $10k premium for my and it sure took quite a bit of effort to find one. I could had gotten E-gear really easy and pocket the $10k as there were just so many more out there. Selection is much larger.

I have a GTR and I prefer 6spd in my Gallardo over even that gear box.

Manual LP-Nice! I still haven't seen a manual like that in the flesh. I'm also in the minority-if given a choice, I'll always choose manual.

• 4 weeks later...
1001420[/url]']

I just picked mine up and it is a 6 speed. I enjoy rowing the gears.

Congrats, there is a thread where if you post few photos you can get an owners title.

RWD, 6 speed must be lots of fun :icon_thumleft: