Would you buy a 6spd

gdodge

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it is that the automated shifters will continue to evolve. Because of this, the market will continually perceive the previous gen automated shifters as outdated, etc.

The true clutch-pedal manual will always be the constant.

The way I see it is that the automated shifters will continue to evolve. Because of this, the market will continually perceive the previous gen automated shifters as outdated, etc. The true clutch-pedal manual will always be the constant.

I agree, Deuce said similar words in the 991GT3 thread, and it's how the younger-gen views these things thanks to how common it is in F1, etc.

For me personally I just feel you lose some of the intimate connection with the car, the link between man and machine, and the satisfaction that comes from pulling off fast coordinated movements like rev-matching into a turn under heavy braking from high speed where you've got to heel/toe downshift 2-3 times in rapid succession.

Can't argue with the advantage of the tech itself though, it's obviously much faster in all applications, both on track and in a straight line for sure.

Love that E30!

Name the person you want dead for that E30! Whatever the price!!!

LOL thanks guys that car really is my baby. If you want a little more info here is my build thread on the car on S14 and a link to a photo shoot I did for Egarage.com. you really would have to kill probably me to get the keys lol.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?54233-The-new-guy

http://www.egarage.com/car-profiles/bmw-throwback-thursday/

• 2 weeks later...

From a philosophical point of view, I refuse to have a computer or a set of valves control the clutch and transmission of the car I'm driving. I don't care how fast or smart the computer is, I want to exert authority over the machine, not the other way around. I want to determine the shift points and conditions. Old school it is, and I know I'm one of the shrinking minority, but I think it's more satisfying. It also doesn't matter to me if I shave two tenths of a second off getting from point A to point B. All my cars all my life have been stick shifts, and I'll never buy an automatic.

Hi forum,

I have as second owner, recently purchased a grey 2006 Gallardo coupe 6 speed manual with 11,800 miles on it. Took it today for the first time to a race track, the local wanneroo race track here in Perth, Western Australia for a Jaguar Club 'tuning- driver experience ' day.

Have not driven a stick for 5 years since my 1969 XKE has ben undergoing restoration, so stick took some used to getting to , before looked like I knew what I was doing- a few too many bouncing off the rev limiter before up changing gears, etc. Got more used to the stick shift as morning runs progressed, but still thinking should have waited for grey e-gear G to come up for sale. I have also tracked my Audi RS6 V10 TT (750bhp,1000nm) with its 6peed ZF auto and paddle shifts to base comparison with stick. RS6 is fast (11.4 sec quarter mile), but still a bit of a barge on tight corners at 2100 kg.

However view on 'challenge' of using a stick shift changed when son-in-law took the grey ghost for a few hot laps with me as passenger executing perfect heel and toe technique on the brake and accelerator pedal with seamless changing down while braking from speed. So I am now practising my heel and toeing technique.

As first time on a track with my G , I came away very impressed at how a 2006 G handles and brakes on a race track and the low down torque of the V10 engine. Used 3rd and 4th gear with occasional foray into 5th on track . Certainly exceeded my expectations. Feels like a super go kart. lol.

The Gallardo has performance, glorious exhaust note, handling and looks! What more could you ask for- maybe a little more power than just 520 bhp.- Supercharger or TT coming up, perchance for real power increase, but might change the 'character and finesse' of the car.

I reflected on the confidence that the G's handling and sure footedness instils in the driver as the G passed a 308 Ferrari that had just spun off into a very deep sand trap run-off area with driving instructor at the wheel!!!.

So will stick with the 6 speed!

Just my two cents worth.

john

post-130322-1366129979_thumb.jpg

Recent new owner of a Gallardo. Purchased 2 weeks ago. I drove egear and manual. I have always enjoyed 6speed and being a part of the experience. All previous cars have been 6speed. Based on my experience testing the egear and the manual, I definitely went with the 6speed. Enjoy her very much.

Lamboperth - you were very brave to re-learn a stick at a race track. I practiced heel/toe shifting for several weeks before going on track for the first time with my manual transmission zeeohsixxx (my LP560 is an egear).

I agree with your comments about how the car handles on track. Well balanced and fun. The egear takes away all concern about shifting down - but for me - driving the egear on track wasn't nearly as engaging as driving a manual transmission. I also find the zeeeooosix liberating because I can get track insurance which I could not for the lambo (too valuable - exceeded insurance limits).

If you TT it I wonder if it would completely change the dynamics of how it handles. If TT'd - when you step on the throttle do you still have the finesse or does it become an exercise in trying to control a monster? At most tracks I don't use all the HP and torque at my disposal (but then again I don't like speeds over 155 cause I get scared - just being honest :D). For me - the HP is enough, the torque is enough, and I wouldn't want the changes that come with a TT (at least not for a track car).

Congrats and enjoy!

Carol

Lamboperth - you were very brave to re-learn a stick at a race track. I practiced heel/toe shifting for several weeks before going on track for the first time with my manual transmission zeeohsixxx (my LP560 is an egear).

I agree with your comments about how the car handles on track. Well balanced and fun. The egear takes away all concern about shifting down - but for me - driving the egear on track wasn't nearly as engaging as driving a manual transmission. I also find the zeeeooosix liberating because I can get track insurance which I could not for the lambo (too valuable - exceeded insurance limits).

If you TT it I wonder if it would completely change the dynamics of how it handles. If TT'd - when you step on the throttle do you still have the finesse or does it become an exercise in trying to control a monster? At most tracks I don't use all the HP and torque at my disposal (but then again I don't like speeds over 155 cause I get scared - just being honest :D). For me - the HP is enough, the torque is enough, and I wouldn't want the changes that come with a TT (at least not for a track car).

Congrats and enjoy!

Carol

With TT, you definitely need to make sure you execute the shifts properly. With these power levels, things can break if you make a mistake. However, I haven't had any issue with the manual shifting as the gears seem to be spaced well enough that you aren't tap dancing on the clutch and rowing as much as you'd think. The 8100rpm red line goes a long way in helping this. The throttle control is no different in a 6-speed manual than it would be on an e-gear, you just need to be aware of how the turbos spool up to stay off boost and only hammer down when you have to. In fact, while people trump up N/A throttle response all the time, the throttle response is not perceptibly different than stock, at least not on my '05 UGR car vs my previous stock '04 Gallardo-both were manual.The boost comes on in a linear fashion, not light switch fast.

Best of all, you also have the option of adjusting the boost for different situations.