Diablo 6.0 Bumper Removal - Maybe GT Replacement

jason321

I don't want to get into a debate about what 'looks' better. I personally want to either remove the rear bumper or possible go with the GT diffuser/bumper.

Does anyone here have pictures (non photochop) of a diablo 6.0 without the rear bumper? I have pics of the GT versions, but I'm trying to find some higher res or at least clear pics.

Here are a couple pics of the 6.0 GT and GTR which show both bumperless and with the diffuser/bumper.

post-3092-1116193641.jpg

post-3092-1116193642.jpg

post-3092-1116193643.jpg

post-3092-1116193644.jpg

post-3092-1116193645.jpg

post-3092-1116193646.jpg

post-3092-1116193646.jpg

post-3092-1116193646.jpg

post-3092-1116193646.jpg

post-3092-1116193646.jpg

This picture shows the pieces which you need to fill in after the bumper is removed. Its my next question.. Where can I get these pieces and can they come color matched?

post-3092-1116202479.jpg

post-3092-1116202480.jpg

I live in the US, so another important aspect of this for consideration is liability..

If you are rear-ended without the bumper I would imagine the insurance company could avoid repairs for obvious reason..

This is why I was considering the GT diffuser/bumper, although it is not as appealing to me as no bumper.. I *think* the GT cars were street legal in the US which would mean that the diffuser/bumper would be ok.

Thanks diablo-4-ever... Are you, or do you know, the owner of this 6.0?

Why not mount the grey plates behind the bumper and have the inner area fab'd to be flush? Not to mention color matched? Was this just as an experement to see if it was liked?

Would it be possible to obtain a new rear bumper without the holes, similar to the GT? -I understand thats probably going to be expensive...

What exhaust is that on the car?

That looks terrible without the fillers for the quarter panels. Any update on where we can get those things?

Without the bumper looks awefull to me, as I said it looks like the bottom jaw missing. The plates look terrible! I'd either have the opening, plate welded or have at least a custom vent cover. Adding the sides would not be hard to fabricate but I still think having the full bumper just lightened would still look much better. The GTR style would never pass the crash test as it is not reinforced like the stock setup. I'm working on the rear bumper as we speak, the front bumper I'm having redone to remove the useless hella lights and getting rid of the metal useless vents. I'm also thinking for the bottom of the front bumper to fabricate a 1/8" to 1/4" thick carbon fiber plate to the bottom of the bumper don't get scratched up in case it bottoms out.

I dont quite follow you, how would the bumper look better with the metal bar removed? The bar is inside the bumper and cant be seen without completely opening the bumper?

modman, where in cali are you? What year diablo are you doing this to?

Modman,

I am also interested in the carbon fibre plate for the fronts.

Please post any updates that you may have or PM me if you have fabricated some.

Thanks,

PN

The GT was not street legal becasue the bumper wont pass crash tests. If you look at the gt bumper it doesnt have the cusion between the car and the bumper.

You can get the fills that go on the side of the car from a Lambo dealer but they arevery expensive. I hear it is better to get them custom made.

I already planned it out for the 98 SV I want. I will be doing all that to it including the GT rear grill, fan grills, removal of the bumper and the caps on the corners

Jason321, what I meant is I'd rather have the stock bumper with the inside bar removed than the missing bumper look. My car looks crazy now with the bumper missing and the tail lamps missing. I'm redoing the carbon fiber tail lamps I already had made and redoing in the 6.0 tail lamps. I'm debating on a one time make or spending the time to make the mold to start producing carbon fiber tail lamp covers to have the 6.0 lamps to fit for the pre 2000. I had the reflectors and reverse lights removed from the rear bumper and shaved to perfection so I had no choice but to finally find time to redo the tail lamps that come with the reverse lights. Next I'm going to redo the front bumper & get rid of the useless Hella lights and ugly vents, I'd rather opt for an SV bumper but I don't want to spend the extra for minor cosmetic improvement. By the way I'm in the Sacramento area up north. I wish I could find more time to finish up my projects faster and I still have the mold that makes the center engine cover to be made of carbon fiber as I made my own. When I get to the point of finishing up the pieces I'll post them as I come along.

I am also looking for a pair of quality carbon fiber (6.0) tail light covers.

As far as the carbon fiber engine cover, will this work on 6.0 or is it for 99?

Refer to bumper inserts to cover holes:

I checked the site above but couldn't fine them. Anyone else know where to get them?

Jason, the tail light covers is for converting pre 6.0 to fit the 6.0 lights. As far as the engine cover, they look the same shape but cannot guarantee they would fit exactly on the snap parts. If you want your tail light covers to be wrapped you can send me your bezels and I can work on making the mold for it for possible production. Making the mold for multiple production is slight costly but a one or two time use mold is cheaper. I'm working on a multiple production mold now and with just the materials alone I'm near $480. I just started yesterday on the first stage of the mold and hopefully if time persist I will start on the casting.

$1890!!! This part won't cost more than $100 to build per piece! Plus I think this is the GTR part and not the GT part that were talking about.