Do you use your Gallardo as a daily driver?

BGTHEMOGUL

Do you use your Gallardo as a daily driver? If not, why? I'm currently considering purchasing one to use as a daily driver. I've heard so many conflicting opinions so I'm curious if you use yours as your every day driver and if not what your reason is.

Thanks!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you use your Gallardo as a daily driver? If not, why? I'm currently considering purchasing one to use as a daily driver. I've heard so many conflicting opinions so I'm curious if you use yours as your every day driver and if not what your reason is.

Thanks!

In e-gear situations...no to pre 2009, yes to 2009 and later. I work downtown Chicago, when I had an 08 SL, the e-gear was very unfriendly for the commute. With the LP560, it's much more capable of being a daily and find myself driving it WAY more than the SL when weather is good.

Hopefully that sheds some light on the discrepancies you have been hearin'

In e-gear situations...no to pre 2009, yes to 2009 and later. I work downtown Chicago, when I had an 08 SL, the e-gear was very unfriendly for the commute. With the LP560, it's much more capable of being a daily and find myself driving it WAY more than the SL when weather is good.

Hopefully that sheds some light on the discrepancies you have been hearin'

Not really because I've spoke to many 2004-2005 drivers that use daily and say they have no e-gear issues. That's the conflicting part. They did say it's not ideal for "stop and go" traffic but fine for regular commutes like the gym, grocery store, bank, lunch, etc. Majority of the people I've talked to that said they do not daily drive was more due to comfort than it was mechanical. Thank you for the input because that's exactly what I want to hear. Each individuals story and reasoning behind why they do or do not drive daily.

Not really because I've spoke to many 2004-2005 drivers that use daily and say they have no e-gear issues. That's the conflicting part. They did say it's not ideal for "stop and go" traffic but fine for regular commutes like the gym, grocery store, bank, lunch, etc. Majority of the people I've talked to that said they do not daily drive was more due to comfort than it was mechanical. Thank you for the input because that's exactly what I want to hear. Each individuals story and reasoning behind why they do or do not drive daily.

Trust the people that have had both pre-09 cars and post-09 cars. Adam already gave you the only right answer to this question in terms of the e-gear difference in the equation.

As far as the actual daily-driving component (i.e., does it get old), you could hear a hundred opinions that all differ as it's really subjective. Some people feel the car is more special when they drive it once a week, while others enjoy it every day. It varies.

But the LP560's e-gear is a big difference-maker if you live in high traffic areas versus the older cars, which aren't as good in the 0-5mph range.

Trust the people that have had both pre-09 cars and post-09 cars. Adam already gave you the only right answer to this question in terms of the e-gear difference in the equation.

As far as the actual daily-driving component (i.e., does it get old), you could hear a hundred opinions that all differ as it's really subjective. Some people feel the car is more special when they drive it once a week, while others enjoy it every day. It varies.

But the LP560's e-gear is a big difference-maker if you live in high traffic areas versus the older cars, which aren't as good in the 0-5mph range.

Thanks for the reply Mako. I completely understand most opinions will all differ since it's subjective. Just like to hear opinions because it may give me things to consider that I had not thought about, etc. Can never learn or research enough!

I can tell you that the 560 e-gear is as smooth as butter around town. Might not mimick the lightning quick shifts of a DCT, but when it comes to strolling around town it is excellent and just as smooth!

I have never driven a pre-09 e-gear so I don't have any valuable input in that regard, just what the consensus is being that the pre-09 e-gear systems are not town friendly at all. GL

Oh, and I will be using mine as a DD in the summer.. :icon_mrgreen:

I can tell you that the 560 e-gear is as smooth as butter around town. Might not mimick the lightning quick shifts of a DCT, but when it comes to strolling around town it is excellent and just as smooth!

I have never driven a pre-09 e-gear so I don't have any valuable input in that regard, just what the consensus is being that the pre-09 e-gear systems are not town friendly at all. GL

Oh, and I will be using mine as a DD in the summer.. :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for chiming in Kisco. My budget only allows me for the range of a 2004-2006 Gallardo which is why I'm researching and getting as many opinions as possible so a 2009+ is just not in the picture for me. I guess it's just luck of the draw. Like I said I've spoke to many 2004-2006 e-gear drivers that have never had any issues other than routine maintenance and daily drive and others who say differently. Maybe I'm better off going with the Bentley Continental GT as a daily driver. Those are the two cars I've been between but the Gallardo is my hands down favorite dream car which is why I was really leaning towards it. Plus to me it has more of the "wow" factor and I'm a young single entertainment executive. ;)

Thanks for chiming in Kisco. My budget only allows me for the range of a 2004-2006 Gallardo which is why I'm researching and getting as many opinions as possible so a 2009+ is just not in the picture for me. I guess it's just luck of the draw. Like I said I've spoke to many 2004-2006 e-gear drivers that have never had any issues other than routine maintenance and daily drive and others who say differently. Maybe I'm better off going with the Bentley Continental GT as a daily driver. Those are the two cars I've been between but the Gallardo is my hands down favorite dream car which is why I was really leaning towards it. Plus to me it has more of the "wow" factor and I'm a young single entertainment executive. ;)

A solution to your delima is available. Go out and drive gan 04-06 egear around town and see what you think. =)

Ive put around 6k miles on my 2006 since March with zero issues with my e-gear. Yeah maybe not the smoothest in stop and go traffic but you learn to deal with it and modulate it accordingly. Guess the real question should be what is your driving situation? While the CGT and G may be in the same price bracket depending on year they are completely different, obviously. I drive the shit out of my car every chance I get.

A solution to your delima is available. Go out and drive gan 04-06 egear around town and see what you think. =)

Just find someone that has one local for sale that I'm interested in buying and test drive it? Can't see any other way to just get a 2004-2006 car to drive around town. Wish it was that simple. :eusa_think:

Ive put around 6k miles on my 2006 since March with zero issues with my e-gear. Yeah maybe not the smoothest in stop and go traffic but you learn to deal with it and modulate it accordingly. Guess the real question should be what is your driving situation? While the CGT and G may be in the same price bracket depending on year they are completely different, obviously. I drive the shit out of my car every chance I get.

My driving situation is I want it to be a daily driver. I work from home so I don't drive tremendous amounts. Daily errands usually are things like the gym, bank, grocery store, restaurants for lunch or dinner, etc. Weekends I'm free so I usually drive more and hit the interstate for some cruises. I truly prefer the G because it's my dream car and I have the liquid to purchase a 2004-2006 cash but naturally the CGT is the better "daily driver". I don't mind some sacrifice in comfort or what not for the G to be the daily driver. Just want to make sure mechanically there's no issues doing so.

I work downtown Chicago, when I had an 08 SL, the e-gear was very unfriendly for the commute.

They did say it's not ideal for "stop and go" traffic but fine for regular commutes like the gym, grocery store, bank, lunch, etc.

Regular commute in Chicago is stop and go, regardless of destination

Regular commute in Chicago is stop and go, regardless of destination

Understood and that is not my situation. There are rare occasions I'm in stop and go traffic like rush hour on the interstate, if there's an accident on the interstate or I head down to South Beach for some weekend fun but majority of my driving is not those circumstances.

Understood and that is not my situation. There are rare occasions I'm in stop and go traffic like rush hour on the interstate, if there's an accident on the interstate or I head down to South Beach for some weekend fun but majority of my driving is not those circumstances.

Then you'll probably be fine IMO

Try the 06+ egear if you can swing it. If its your dream car why get the cgt?

Love the CGT also but the G is my true dream car. Would only get it though if the G couldn't be my daily driver since I know the CGT is meant to be one. I know about the gear changes made and I believe a clutch change with the 06+ it just ultimately depends on price. I really didn't want to drop over $100k cash. Don't think I'll be finding a 06+ for $100k realistically. My budget really has me more in the 2004-2005 range.

If you can't swing an 09+ Gallardo then you'd want to stay away from egear if you're daily driving. The pre-09 Gs manuals are fine around town. The egears tend to bog at low speeds, up inclines and in reverse. If this is your first exotic you'll also want to know the egears are a few more bucks maintenance-wise.

As an aside I personally love the BCGTs. Had one at the same time as my LP560 and it was a fantastic vehicle except for the gas mileage.

If you can't swing an 09+ Gallardo then you'd want to stay away from egear if you're daily driving. The pre-09 Gs manuals are fine around town. The egears tend to bog at low speeds, up inclines and in reverse. If this is your first exotic you'll also want to know the egears are a few more bucks maintenance-wise.

As an aside I personally love the BCGTs. Had one at the same time as my LP560 and it was a fantastic vehicle except for the gas mileage.

Thanks for the input. I was told the e-gears and manuals are comparable in maintenance and general clutch life. I definitely can't swing an 09+ Gallardo it's not even an option like I said I'm in the 2004-2005 range. Might be able to swing an 06' if I wait long enough for the right buy which I have no problem being patient. I'm not in a rush although I'd like to have one sooner than later. Any more 2004-2006 drivers here that can chime in? I really would like to pick up a G but if it's simply not feasible as a daily driver then I'll have to lean back towards the CGT.

I've put 27,000 miles my clutch. I have an 05 6 speed. That's a lot of city driving, stop and go traffic, hills starts and parking garages. I take it to work about twice a week as well. So, if mine is ok under this sort of stress I'm sure you'll be ok haha.

I've put 27,000 miles my clutch. I have an 05 6 speed. That's a lot of city driving, stop and go traffic, hills starts and parking garages. I take it to work about twice a week as well. So, if mine is ok under this sort of stress I'm sure you'll be ok haha.

Great thanks for that information!

Yeah but he is slow....I have 21k on a 6 spd 06 original clutch.

haha, yeah I think I need more down force!

Nice hoping to hear from some more e-gear drivers.

I was at the West LA service department last week for a check up. The unanimous opinion of the techs, chatting without a service adviser in the back is the manual transmission on the earlier cars is much much more reliable. That said, I hate being in stop and go traffic.