Do you use your Gallardo as a daily driver?

BGTHEMOGUL

I daily drove an 08 with the old clunky e-gear. No issues. I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the overall consensus about driving most modern exotics is that they can be used as a DD no questions asked.

No car exotic car is really enjoyable in true, stop-and-go, accident-like traffic -- E-Gear, DCT, 6spd, or auto. If you had to do this every day, I'd skip the Gallardo for sure. That said, I'd skip owning any exotic car if the majority of my driving was stop and go traffic. What would be the point of such a car in that situation, right?

However, if you live more in the suburbs and rarely run into much traffic like that other than when downtime, then I'd say a Gallardo of any type will be no problem at all. If like most of us you only run into traffic in rush hour or in the occasional traffic jam, then the joy of owning the Gallardo 90% of the time will outweigh the shitty 10% that you sit in traffic.

That said, I'd choose a 6sp over any type of E-gear. And while I have no fact to back this up, I think I could get more life out of a 6sp clutch than an E-gear one.

I believe the overall consensus about driving most modern exotics is that they can be used as a DD no questions asked.

No car exotic car is really enjoyable in true, stop-and-go, accident-like traffic -- E-Gear, DCT, 6spd, or auto. If you had to do this every day, I'd skip the Gallardo for sure. That said, I'd skip owning any exotic car if the majority of my driving was stop and go traffic. What would be the point of such a car in that situation, right?

However, if you live more in the suburbs and rarely run into much traffic like that other than when downtime, then I'd say a Gallardo of any type will be no problem at all. If like most of us you only run into traffic in rush hour or in the occasional traffic jam, then the joy of owning the Gallardo 90% of the time will outweigh the shitty 10% that you sit in traffic.

That said, I'd choose a 6sp over any type of E-gear. And while I have no fact to back this up, I think I could get more life out of a 6sp clutch than an E-gear one.

Thanks for your input. I don't want a manual that part is out of the question. I also don't believe there are any facts to back up the fact of a manual clutch lasting longer than an e-gear clutch. At least I haven't found any in my endless hours of research.

Anytime buddy! :icon_thumleft: Just PM me if you want any more of my useful tips...

Well being that yo've owned several G's before I definitely would like to hear your actual opinion. :icon_mrgreen:

I've done 8k in 8 months and think the E-gear is phenomenal on my LP. I considered a pre LP Gallardo but one test drive put that thought away - the LP's e-gear is honestly leagues ahead and the steering is also far better with more feel and character than the numb drive of the pre LP's.

Obviously if you don't test drive anything else you'll know no better and ignorance is bliss but from my test drive of an 08 Gallardo Vert i was thoroughly unimpressed with the transmission and the night and day difference driving that 08 to my 11' LP was enough for me to place a deposit on the spot.

It doesn't sound like you do much driving and in that instance the transmission shouldn't give you any issues nor grind at you but if you're sitting in commuter traffic for > 30 mins every day i'd think twice.

Also, how on earth can you compare a CGT to a Gallardo - that's apples to oranges.

I've done 8k in 8 months and think the E-gear is phenomenal on my LP. I considered a pre LP Gallardo but one test drive put that thought away - the LP's e-gear is honestly leagues ahead and the steering is also far better with more feel and character than the numb drive of the pre LP's.

Obviously if you don't test drive anything else you'll know no better and ignorance is bliss but from my test drive of an 08 Gallardo Vert i was thoroughly unimpressed with the transmission and the night and day difference driving that 08 to my 11' LP was enough for me to place a deposit on the spot.

It doesn't sound like you do much driving and in that instance the transmission shouldn't give you any issues nor grind at you but if you're sitting in commuter traffic for > 30 mins every day i'd think twice.

Also, how on earth can you compare a CGT to a Gallardo - that's apples to oranges.

They are two completely different cars as I've said many times however they are both absolutely beautiful and the CGT is designed to be a daily driver. That's the purpose of this thread. To find out if I can drive a 2004-2006 Gallardo as my daily driver. If I can wonderful I'll buy one the second I find the right car at the right price. If not, I'll go buy a CGT and enjoy it as a daily driver. The Gallardo is my true dream car but I need a daily driver. Follow me?

They are two completely different cars as I've said many times however they are both absolutely beautiful and the CGT is designed to be a daily driver. That's the purpose of this thread. To find out if I can drive a 2004-2006 Gallardo as my daily driver. If I can wonderful I'll buy one the second I find the right car at the right price. If not, I'll go buy a CGT and enjoy it as a daily driver. The Gallardo is my true dream car but I need a daily driver. Follow me?

No: they're far too different to cross shop.

If you want a possible DD and something sporty you should consider a Maser GTS or a Porsche 997 TT - both can be a DD, are sporty and look fantastic. A CGT is a complete opposite to a Gallardo and the drive is beyond dull.

Whilst gaining feedback on a forum is all well and good, go test drive the two cars and you'll have a far better idea of what the vehicles are like and how they'll suit you.

No: they're far too different to cross shop.

If you want a possible DD and something sporty you should consider a Maser GTS or a Porsche 997 TT - both can be a DD, are sporty and look fantastic. A CGT is a complete opposite to a Gallardo and the drive is beyond dull.

Whilst gaining feedback on a forum is all well and good, go test drive the two cars and you'll have a far better idea of what the vehicles are like and how they'll suit you.

Your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine. My two favorite cars are the G and the CGT and I'm open to purchasing either one of them. They may be too different for you to cross shop but certainly are not for me. I'm between those two cars specifically.

I daily drive mine and have had great luck with it. I drove it 6k miles in the last 4 months. It has been excellent.

Here some remarks about it - http://edbolian.com/?p=2919

It is my only car right now and I use it every day. It makes every drive feel more special and my commute to work a lot more enjoyable. Once you figure out any of the e-gear systems they are perfectly usable. The newer ones are unquestionably better, but people shopping for a $100k car and a $150-200k car are obviously looking at different options.

Do it!

IMG_9646-1024x615.jpg

Thanks for your input. I don't want a manual that part is out of the question. I also don't believe there are any facts to back up the fact of a manual clutch lasting longer than an e-gear clutch. At least I haven't found any in my endless hours of research.

General consensus is that in the earlier cars (04-05) the egear clutch has a life of about 7k miles where the manual can last 20k miles or more. This varies of course with different drivers/driving styles.

I daily drive mine and have had great luck with it. I drove it 6k miles in the last 4 months. It has been excellent.

Here some remarks about it - http://edbolian.com/?p=2919

It is my only car right now and I use it every day. It makes every drive feel more special and my commute to work a lot more enjoyable. Once you figure out any of the e-gear systems they are perfectly usable. The newer ones are unquestionably better, but people shopping for a $100k car and a $150-200k car are obviously looking at different options.

Do it!

Thanks Ed pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do as you already know. Only car, daily driver. By the way I got your message from last night just now. We'll get on the phone today. :eusa_dance:

General consensus is that in the earlier cars (04-05) the egear clutch has a life of about 7k miles where the manual can last 20k miles or more. This varies of course with different drivers/driving styles.

No idea where you got this information but I've spoken to over 20-30 owners of the earlier cars (04-06) throughout different threads and they have over 20k+ miles on clutch and still plenty of life left according to the e-gear snaps. Think it's dependent on your conditions and how you drive.

I find your tone condescending. You're talking to actual owners here, yet correcting them when they give first hand accounts. You've asked the same question a dozen times over, questioning anything that isn't congruent with your own belief.

You've got enough information from us.

I find your tone condescending. You're talking to actual owners here, yet correcting them when they give first hand accounts. You've asked the same question a dozen times over, questioning anything that isn't congruent with your own belief.

:iamwithstupid:

Assman knows his shit.... the man is an encyclopedia of gallardos on the market and the cars themself. I call your whole buying plan bullshit.

It's interesting that you find a "tone" condescending via a message board. That's certainly a first. Secondly I have not asked the same question once. Please show me two threads asking the same question. Thirdly a message board, or forum if you like, is designed for one to research, educate and interact with other members. As a "moderator" here you should understand those simple principles.

[edit from RD- This is the type of thing that really gets under my skin....]

:iamwithstupid:

Assman knows his shit.... the man is an encyclopedia of gallardos on the market and the cars themself. I call your whole buying plan bullshit.

And I think you're a joke. Who cares? Get a life and stop worrying about what I'm purchasing. Nobody asked you to come into my threads so go kick rocks, preferably with sandals on. :)

[edit from RD- This post is not a good one...]

I've put 2200 miles on my Gallardo in the month that I've owned it, and that's me trying VERY hard not to drive it everywhere. I've got 3 other cars to share mileage with, so if I drove the Gallardo everywhere I wanted, I'd easily have 3-4k miles, but I've got a manual transmission. The techs at Lamborghini Dallas told me that based on what they have seen, the first generation e-gears would need clutches at about 10k mile intervals. I'm sure you will see examples of people who have gone further, but if it's all highway miles, it's kind of irrelevant. Just be prepared to drop $5k+ for a clutch when the time comes.

And I think you're a joke. Who cares? Get a life and stop worrying about what I'm purchasing. Nobody asked you to come into my threads so go kick rocks, preferably with sandals on. :)

I think the problem is that you ask a question and when you get an answer you say, "Well I've talked to 30 owners that say different." If you have the answers already why are you asking the questions? You might say, well I'm trying to get more information but when you get more information you don't accept it or integrate it, you confound it.

This forum likes to help people who ask questions, but if you say our answers are wrong every time we answer what exactly do you expect?

We have many people on here who've owned several of these cars, we have some of the best lamborghini technicians in the USA here, we have do it yourselfers, and we have tuners who take apart these card bolt by bolt and reassemble them into 1500 hp monsters.

So pardon if we answer your question in a friendly manner and you throw it back in our face. Lets say we asked you information about something you are knowledgeable about and every time you answer we say, "Well you are wrong." It would annoy you right?

BTW, throwing insults at Porter and KMR? Really...of all the people? I can understand insulting some of the jerks on this board, but come on? You haven't even seen those guys yet.

I've put 2200 miles on my Gallardo in the month that I've owned it, and that's me trying VERY hard not to drive it everywhere. I've got 3 other cars to share mileage with, so if I drove the Gallardo everywhere I wanted, I'd easily have 3-4k miles, but I've got a manual transmission. The techs at Lamborghini Dallas told me that based on what they have seen, the first generation e-gears would need clutches at about 10k mile intervals. I'm sure you will see examples of people who have gone further, but if it's all highway miles, it's kind of irrelevant. Just be prepared to drop $5k+ for a clutch when the time comes.

Correct I understand clutch can run between the $5k-8k range. The idea is to puck up a G not needing one rather immediately.

I think the problem is that you ask a question and when you get an answer you say, "Well I've talked to 30 owners that say different." If you have the answers already why are you asking the questions? You might say, well I'm trying to get more information but when you get more information you don't accept it or integrate it, you confound it.

This forum likes to help people who ask questions, but if you say our answers are wrong every time we answer what exactly do you expect?

We have many people on here who've owned several of these cars, we have some of the best lamborghini technicians in the USA here, we have do it yourselfers, and we have tuners who take apart these card bolt by bolt and reassemble them into 1500 hp monsters.

So pardon if we answer your question in a friendly manner and you throw it back in our face. Lets say we asked you information about something you are knowledgeable about and every time you answer we say, "Well you are wrong." It would annoy you right?

BTW, throwing insults at Porter and KMR? Really...of all the people? I can understand insulting some of the jerks on this board, but come on? You haven't even seen those guys yet.

You may want to go back and look at who through the insults. Naturally I'm going to reply, not tuck my tail between my legs and run from these "keyboard bullies" as I like to call them. Thanks for your professional reply I certainly respect it. Yes I do respect your answers and I'm not throwing anything in anybodies face. I'm simply stating the facts and showing how all the information is contradicting, therefore playing devils advocate. By getting enough opinions on my own, I can then generate my own consensus and go from there.

You may want to go back and look at who through the insults. Naturally I'm going to reply, not tuck my tail between my legs and run from these "keyboard bullies" as I like to call them. Thanks for your professional reply I certainly respect it. Yes I do respect your answers and I'm not throwing anything in anybodies face. I'm simply stating the facts and showing how all the information is contradicting, therefore playing devils advocate. By getting enough opinions on my own, I can then generate my own consensus and go from there.

That's the other thing. There is a lot of sarcasm on this board. It's just for fun. THere's really no need to fight back to the 'keyboard bullies' If you stay around, try and see the culture of the board and figure out 99% of the insults are just normal guy insults and have no meaning.

When looking at an egear car know that stop and go driving and especially a lot of reverse driving makes more wear to the clutch. As time went on the clutches on the cars were improved resulting on longer lifespans. 04 cars with updated ecu software and newer factory clutches tend to do better than what they came from the factory with. Also the newer the car the better the egear box altogether so basically almost every year you got a better egear system from the factory due to the box or the clutch or a combination.

On egear cars you can get a computer egear snapshot to know how much clutch is left. On manual cars there is no snapshot. A tech is supposed to be able to see the clutch through access holes in the tranny, but they'll tell you it's not definitive. Additionally on egear parts you have to think about parts going bad, lines, pumps, etc. They can cost you significantly more than a clutch job. There is not known reason for when these parts fail, sometimes they just do.