And there was the Injection-prototype for sale as expected..

lambolp400s

This car is no prototype. The owner is merely hunting for a fool. A prototype is a one off, this car along with others where all simply a way to get by with using a hodgepodge of off the shelf items to create a jinky f/i system. The only thing special about this car, is its color. Owner thinks cause it was mentioned in a book or magazine that adds to value. Fact is, if you searched you could probably find just about every single Countach mentioned in a book or magazine. So if you want a f/i car, you buy a nice Qv.

I agree with Allan here This is not a prototype! A real prototipo from lambo is one of the four cars you see below here. The Fi car in question is merely a market adjustment. Any FI car is just as much a Countach as any other, since they were factory-built the way they are, only just with a few differences to a euro-spec car. Euro-spec or US-spec.... same for me, but I prefere carbs and the sound they make over the (what I belive) better drivability of a injected engine. So in my eyes, this is a FI car in a great color suitable for someone that wants the benefits of a FI car.

After a shitload of year saving up money to get myself a car, I should maybe be a follower of the little group that seeks to give the general public the impression the car is worth loads and loads of money, but I prefere people that actually sees what they have, and on a forum like this understad that the members more than any understand the value of the cars, and not spend all their time trying to talk their specific car up into a class where it does not belong. Remember this: We here on lambopower are not the unaware general public.

Proto1.jpg

Proto2.jpg

Proto3.jpg

Proto4.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, where is that Wallace Twin Turbo Prototype? :icon_mrgreen:

The Anniversary-look TT guy that knew the owner did in the end obviously not feel like responding to my e-mails... I told I would give a offer for it, but a realistic one. Asked for more contactinfo than his nick on this site, and that ended the communication...

Just another guy beliving all Lambos are gold when they are altered...

The Anniversary-look TT guy that knew the owner did in the end obviously not feel like responding to my e-mails... I told I would give a offer for it, but a realistic one. Asked for more contactinfo than his nick on this site, and that ended the communication...

I was just kidding with that comment. He actually seemed like a nice guy, just trying to help his neighbor out. If you are not in the know a one of three car built by someone that was at Lambo at one point would definitely seem like a worthy car. Heck if the other two hadn't blown up it help it's value a lot. Besides he was only trying to sell that one to get the other DD fixed, and I can respect that. I think most of us where interested until we saw pictures, and it's still an S2...kinda.

I agree with you on the prototype thing, I don't know that anyone is arguing aside from the owner. One thing to point out though, the injection converstion was done in the states on the two valve cars, they are not like that from the factory.

The green proto is in the museum, and the Evoluzione was intentionally wrecked. Do we know the status of the other two cars?

I am not sure if this statement is 100% correct.

I believe the DD cars had a few more differences such as.

Cams and exhaust headers as opposed to the manifold style headers on the FI cars.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you are correct on the cams. The different cams are better suited to each different induction system. I should have been more specific on the exaust, not just a muffler but headers to tail pipes.

The green proto is in the museum, and the Evoluzione was intentionally wrecked. Do we know the status of the other two cars?

The red restyling consept supposed to carry a 7 liter engine, hence named "7000" is in a japanese collection, and the yellow LP500 (the original show car) met the crash barrier at MIRA in England in 1970 if i don't recall it to wrong.

SO, the red and the green is the ONLY prototipos in existence worth mentioning in my book.

Ok guys.

First off, it is silly for people who own these cars to be bashing anyone who feels they are more valuable.

The car has history. It is not the typical Countach.

The car started as a carburetted car and that is what it originally was.

Recently a '78 4 litre car sold for 350k. I know first hand. Prices are moving.

The very idea that the car is worth low 100's is very shortsighted.

I would appeal to everyone to let private messages remain private and to use the same gentlemanly condut online that we strive for in the real world.

Again, if you own one of these cars be happy that anyone feels they are worth more

I was just kidding with that comment. He actually seemed like a nice guy, just trying to help his neighbor out. If you are not in the know a one of three car built by someone that was at Lambo at one point would definitely seem like a worthy car. Heck if the other two hadn't blown up it help it's value a lot. Besides he was only trying to sell that one to get the other DD fixed, and I can respect that. I think most of us where interested until we saw pictures, and it's still an S2...kinda.

I agree with you on the prototype thing, I don't know that anyone is arguing aside from the owner. One thing to point out though, the injection converstion was done in the states on the two valve cars, they are not like that from the factory.

Apologies, but this is incorrect. Ther were indeed factory injected 2 valve cars.

Ok guys.

First off, it is silly for people who own these cars to be bashing anyone who feels they are more valuable.

Not ment to be a bashing, but I question the way one talks up one specific car that almost nobody else seem to see the "significanse" of. But considdering what people say here, does'nt that make you wonder if the walue you think is fair might be a bit on the high side since there is a gap of $200K in what is considdered correct price?

Yes, it has some sort of history, but in general, a famous owner or movie-car like the Cannonballcar has more appeal, I would belive..

It might be to someones liking that it is a FI car, but of all the different markets around the world, only in the US would an FI maybe command the same price as a qualityvice like carbed car. In europe, Asia or middel east, a carbed would be considdered supreem!

A 1978 for $350K? Wery likely since that is a lowbody Bravo-wheeled LP400S1, of those there are few, and the most sought after, that collectors want. As for the 1979 Bravo car I found here in Norway, I have had over 20 inquieries of interested people. Everybody wants a Bravo-car! Prices move up and down all the time, but most upwards for these sought after cars.

In the long run, 100K is shortsighted yes, but we talk of selling price now, not what it might be in 5 years time. Nobody know what the future brings.

+1 did same to me when Patrick and I were think about this car.

Which 78 sold?

Ok guys.

I would appeal to everyone to let private messages remain private and to use the same gentlemanly condut online that we strive for in the real world.

Again, if you own one of these cars be happy that anyone feels they are worth more

Put it this way... You should sell everything you own, for whatever you can get and go spend all the money on lottery tickets.. Cause you have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting 350K for that car.

And btw, when you report posts about sayiing that PM was private, the report goes to ME!

And btw, Inmo your car isnt worth even low 100's..

Which 78 sold?

I don't know, nut being a -78, it might be one of the latest LP400 's or a S1. But if it was a S1 at that price, it should be nice. Maybe Chaparall can tell/ have a link?

Which 78 sold?

It was some one-off car I think that was doing the show circuits. I can't remember the history but know the owner well!

the 78 that sold it is 1038

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joesackeyclas...57626660172841/

a very nice S1 with all the cool stuff: bravos, SW gauges and even a mega rare original Wolf-like adjustable wing

it was for sale around 130k$ before the resto and i thought it was a great deal

LP400S 1038 has everything it was needed to bring a lot of $$

has also a great and rare color combo (thaiti blue with blue and white interior ) and fresh from a complete engine rebuilt and body-interior restoration (where eveything was put back to OEM spec.... and i mean everything to the FIAMM battery)

i do not know the amount of the worcks involved but i think over 100k$ were spent on the car to put in the condition it is today

the car was not a one off, but i bet is one of the best S1 in the world

and we should not forget its selling price is the record price for the model-variant!

not all S1 are worth 350k$ and not even all 78 are worth that much

but most important the price this car sold has little to do with the price of a 5000S FI

later cars are worth less or much less depending on conditions, version, FI or carbed etc...take in consideration a lowbody LP400S S2 is around 200k$ for the BEST cars

i got an offer of 150k$ for my LP400S series 3 from US

unsolicited offer but to be realistic this is the value today imo .... may be with time and luck i could find someone payng 160k$...but that's it!

nobody is going to pay 200k$ for it today (even if it has cannonball wing, it was used for posters, cards, etc...it does not make it worth much more than any good S3)

and for sure nobody will pay 300k$ or more

(300k $ is S1 territory and JUST for a perfect - show winner car!)

150k$ is its price today ( and taking in consideration the conditions! ... almost perfect, 32500 Kms from new, just got an engine rebuilt....)

a good S3 is around 130k$, while a low to average conditions is under 100k$

i think the 5000 FI is low 100's now (if it is perfect) and less than 100k $ if it needs few things

believe me: i like your car!! it is a nice car with some special history and in great colors, but today is worth roughly that amount

i agree with you tomorrow it will be worth some more, that is for sure

the fact is the first FI car is interesting and for sure worth some $ more over a later FI 5000S

Oh, Joe Sackey's ......old news ;)

FYI 1979

Ok guys.

Joe's car is a 1979.

With all due respect. Your car and this this car are not in the same catagory in the Countach family tree. Please compare apples with apples.

One of 2 things is going to happen.........He's winds up selling OR comes on here and says sold for asking price but that won't mean it actually did. When this car does sell, we will never know the real price and no way to prove it.

In conclusion, we will have to dismiss this sale when and if it happens as it will not be believable.....no matter who buys, even a member.

My sincere advice, keep it, it's a great Countach....as they all are.

i got an offer of 150k$ for my LP400S series 3 from US

unsolicited offer but to be realistic this is the value today imo .... may be with time and luck i could find someone payng 160k$...but that's it!

nobody is going to pay 200k$ for it today (even if it has cannonball wing, it was used for posters, cards, etc...it does not make it worth much more than any good S3)

and for sure nobody will pay 300k$ or more

(300k $ is S1 territory and JUST for a perfect - show winner car!)

150k$ is its price today ( and taking in consideration the conditions! ... almost perfect, 32500 Kms from new, just got an engine rebuilt....)

a good S3 is around 130k$, while a low to average conditions is under 100k$

i think the 5000 FI is low 100's now (if it is perfect) and less than 100k $ if it needs few things

believe me: i like your car!! it is a nice car with some special history and in great colors, but today is worth roughly that amount

i agree with you tomorrow it will be worth some more, that is for sure

Emilio got this right IMO. Joes S1 and this 5000S FI are not close in being in the same class. The S1 has a following crowd and is next in value to the 400. $340K is in the lp 400 range. For that price, I'd rather get a good 400 than a 5000FI no matter how nicely packaged.

That being said. This FI is the gentlemen's car and he can set the price that he wants.

Unfortunately there is a case to be made that too many adds like these make the Countach crowd look like a bunch of nutty greedies and as Joe puts it and turns the real market with money off from Countach. I guess that is why so many people in the know get frustrated to see that kind of stuff. Cars sit and dont sell and at the end, would be buyer turn to other models.

All we can do here is kindly try to present a correct picture of a car's value with of course a good range. The advice can or cannot be taken. That car, being in no need of anything, is worth in the low $95K-150K to be broad in the pessimistic and optimitics way. This is not to insult anybody but that is my honest evaluation. If I were to buy that car

I want to point out that lately, there is worries about countach advertised price. look at the $500K euro LP400 that is not original and the italian DD at 260K $ or euro (i lose track) in the market for 3 years. That is not good. Just like the housing maket where people still think their 1MM house is now worth 2MM. The glut builds up. Something will give and if that goes on, it will not give nicely.

I could understand pushing the envelope, let say 10-20% and be flexible. But the current going baffles me unless people are fishing for whales. this is not particular to this car. Are we seing the same situation with other famous marques?

In addition, this thread has made the mark of what is a prototype car and a milestone car. A milestone is desireable over the same breed in the series but is far from commanding the same premium as a factory prototype.

As far as the Wallace TT, this is not even a milestone as the factory had nothing to do with this. this is just about an S1 to be rescued at great costs. the Wallce TT bring nothing of value. The new owner of the lp400 TT actually had it taken out and the engine brought back to factory and that car is in the hands of heavyweight knowledgeable guys.

I think something to consider is access to information about these cars on the web. I would be shocked if someone in the market for a countach is not a member of one of these forums (or all three major ones) to gain knowledge about them, which includes the current market price. So what happens when they see a car listed for sale, they take an interest, then they come on here, LChat and L..talk and get opinions and read what everyone else thinks? When they read from owners and guys who have been enthusiast/members for years that the price is WAY off then what will happen? Nobody wants to deal with a perceived "unreasonable" seller. Everyone loves the color and it seems to be in great shape. It also gets a bonus for being the first FI car but it is a limited market for selling F.I. cars so that only goes so far (15grand imo). Owners DO like when prices go up of course but we would rather see the car "SELL" at a good price then be listed forever. If you listed it for 135 (for example) you might actually get some people sniffing around and it might sell at 125. That would benefit the model better imo.

Such an argument... And a worthwhile one to have, truly.

My vantage point was pricing it as a milestone car in Lamborghini history. That which it is.

Let's start here...

The car was originally a carburetted Euro version 1982. At the least, with no history, it is worth what a nice carbbed '82 5 litre is. That being said, it is also a milestone car which at the least would command a premium.

My thoughts... It is the first fuel injected Lambo. That is a serious stone in the Lamboghini family tree. You must look beyond just Countachs.

A comparison. Let's say one could buy a late 70's 4 litre 2 valve car for 350K. Great.... It is the same basic thing as mine with a smaller engine and no history.... You say, they made less of those than the injected.... I say, really? They made less than one?

Look, I am not here to argue. Lord knows I have other things to do and I am sure you as well. I am only giving a look into the logic behind it. My feelings that a milestone in the Lambo family tree has value is in no way a detriment to the marque nor is it insulting to any example of that marque.

Worse comes to worse, I have a milestone Lamborghini that is a blast to drive! There is a lot to be said for having the first fuel injected Lamborghini period.

Thanks for all your help thus far guys. I have enjoyed learning more about our cars and have generally had a great experience.

Casey

Put it this way... You should sell everything you own, for whatever you can get and go spend all the money on lottery tickets.. Cause you have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting 350K for that car.

And btw, when you report posts about sayiing that PM was private, the report goes to ME!

And btw, Inmo your car isnt worth even low 100's..

There are no words.....

The internet and forums are a crazy place. Regardless of your thoughts or opinions. I thought some of you may enjoy this comedic video.

Beware the internet trolls.... they bait you and feed on negative reactions :)

Such an argument... And a worthwhile one to have, truly.

My vantage point was pricing it as a milestone car in Lamborghini history. That which it is.

Let's start here...

The car was originally a carburetted Euro version 1982. At the least, with no history, it is worth what a nice carbbed '82 5 litre is. That being said, it is also a milestone car which at the least would command a premium.

My thoughts... It is the first fuel injected Lambo. That is a serious stone in the Lamboghini family tree. You must look beyond just Countachs.

A comparison. Let's say one could buy a late 70's 4 litre 2 valve car for 350K. Great.... It is the same basic thing as mine with a smaller engine and no history.... You say, they made less of those than the injected.... I say, really? They made less than one?

Look, I am not here to argue. Lord knows I have other things to do and I am sure you as well. I am only giving a look into the logic behind it. My feelings that a milestone in the Lambo family tree has value is in no way a detriment to the marque nor is it insulting to any example of that marque.

Worse comes to worse, I have a milestone Lamborghini that is a blast to drive! There is a lot to be said for having the first fuel injected Lamborghini period.

Thanks for all your help thus far guys. I have enjoyed learning more about our cars and have generally had a great experience.

Casey

I HAVE TO make a comment now!!!

" ...Itis the same basic thing as mine with a smaller engine and no history..." You compare your market-corrected car to a LP400?!? Your is a one off, and as such rarer?

In that case, the Ferrari 288GTO is the same basic with a smaller engine to a 308GTB? So because your car is/at that point was a not factory "one-off" makes it unike? There is no denying it was a US-importer project, possibly made by the assistance of Lambo-engineers to work out the problems they could not solve them selves. Does that make it a milestone car? Not in my eyes. Please tell me exactly what you think make a car wothy of being a "milstone". In general, that regarded is a car that brings the marque to a new level in design and exellent engeneering. And as such, the hole family Countach's is a milestonecar, but to put it above that........?

A milestone car in the Countach family tree exept the the prototypes would be cars like the Wolf'cars and its likes done in full at the factory.

"The car was originally a carburetted Euro version 1982. At the least, with no history, it is worth what a nice carbbed '82 5 litre is. That being said, it is also a milestone car which at the least would command a premium."

Actually no. It WAS a carbed car, now it is not present original. Find the original parts, put them back on, and it would be. Lets say it actually deserve being called a milestone car. It should put the bar on a new level and have enthusiasts trilled to actually command a premium. Sounds like I'm not the only person that question if this cars modifications brings trills into the equation...

"Look, I am not here to argue. Lord knows I have other things to do and I am sure you as well. I am only giving a look into the logic behind it. My feelings that a milestone in the Lambo family tree has value is in no way a detriment to the marque nor is it insulting to any example of that marque."

Please let me inn on your logic, and I allmost see it as an insult on people with perfect QV DD eurocars that YOUR, and yours only oinion on the changes to this car make you think it is twise the value.

You have recived feedback for some of the most active members on the Countach-forum here (and possible the more knowledgeable... PeterK, Emilio, Allan, me....) and still, you seem to not care for the arguments.... As for myself: i have had ONE major interests in my imersive carinterest since I bought my first carmag with a Countach on the cover in 1983, and that is THE Countach. I have read all the books that has been possible to get hold of on the mark, read all roadtests, im on the board of the Norwegian Lamborghini-club, I have made a register of ALL Lamborghinis past and present in this country and looked most of them over, I have followed as far as one can all sales of cars for the last 6-7 years, e-mailed sellers all over for years, watched all the resaults from auctions, and all other things Countach there is, and tries to keep me updaten by having contact with enthusiasts from all over europe and may in the states off the forums, and I have spent the last 3 years vacuming the market in search of the right car at the right price for me when I bought mine some months ago. I am confident that when I have a meaning on this subject (Countach), I have slightly over average knowledge, and when I am not totally certain, I ask before I conclude. I expect others to do the same, and not trying to be a champion all on their own. This is a complex market.....

I think a forum like this is a good plase to ask, and give feedback, buth good and less good to people that need/seek information, and when one brings up a subject, one should be aware that the responses might suit ones needs, and maybe one should conform to the responds... As before noted here, pricing a car like you have done, might produce some waves and writing on the sensational chasing Internet, but that some sites take up on the add does not makes it a truth. There have been stupid kits priced as a Veyron written about by ignorant writers as if it was the ultimate, and so, the next day nobody cares. You came to this forum, asked for inputs, and when they pop up, you ignore them. That my friend is close to being ignorant....