Diamonds as an investment?

05LSV

A very close friend of mine has been hedging diamonds for some time, this was her most recent transaction. Not a joke.

photo__8_.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very close friend of mine has been hedging diamonds for some time, this was her most recent transaction. Not a joke.

I can see why women love those things.

That's a gorgeous stone!!

This article is pretty old and times have changed along with the market. Many factors no longer apply.

I realize it's old, but would be curious to learn how and what has changed.

My thoughts are that any diamond that can be easily sourced has very little liquid value. Meaning, even large® diamonds that usually seem pretty spectacular, like 2 ct. stud earrings, won't be an easy sell for decent money when multiple jewellers in any medium sized city will have something available.

Something like what MODO's friend has that can't easily be sourced is a whole other story...

I realize it's old, but would be curious to learn how and what has changed.

Debeers is no longer the powerhouse that they once were. They are now DTC for diamond trading company and is using the Debeers brand to open retail stores that sell to the end user. Diamonds can now be sourced through Canada and Australia so one doesn't need to worry about directly supporting the "cartel".

The days of selling diamonds with huge markups are gone since we now have the internet to compete with which wasn't the case 20 years ago.

The main thing is that information is so readily available and more consumers are able gain knowledge by researching before they buy.

My thoughts are that any diamond that can be easily sourced has very little liquid value. Meaning, even large® diamonds that usually seem pretty spectacular, like 2 ct. stud earrings, won't be an easy sell for decent money when multiple jewellers in any medium sized city will have something available.

You are correct about the easily sourced diamonds being of lesser value. Basically Collection grade stones are going to range in D-F colors and Flawless-VVS clarity. Finer quality stones should not be hard to sell but expect to take a hit if your selling after a couple months of purchasing. I wouldn't consider Diamonds or Gemstones as merely investments because that same money can be put into properties or other means and they would generate income. But it could be something that you get to use and enjoy and have the potential to make a little on if you buy right.

Something like what MODO's friend has that can't easily be sourced is a whole other story...

Yes that's like an Enzo!

Debeers is no longer the powerhouse that they once were. They are now DTC for diamond trading company and is using the Debeers brand to open retail stores that sell to the end user. Diamonds can now be sourced through Canada and Australia so one doesn't need to worry about directly supporting the "cartel".

The days of selling diamonds with huge markups are gone since we now have the internet to compete with which wasn't the case 20 years ago.

The main thing is that information is so readily available and more consumers are able gain knowledge by researching before they buy.

You are correct about the easily sourced diamonds being of lesser value. Basically Collection grade stones are going to range in D-F colors and Flawless-VVS clarity. Finer quality stones should not be hard to sell but expect to take a hit if your selling after a couple months of purchasing. I wouldn't consider Diamonds or Gemstones as merely investments because that same money can be put into properties or other means and they would generate income. But it could be something that you get to use and enjoy and have the potential to make a little on if you buy right.

Yes that's like an Enzo!

Thanks for the replies!

In my mind, you've kind of reinforced the basic idea of the article... the vast majority of diamonds are still over-valued when you buy them, if only because of their lack of scarcity and relatively worthless if you try and sell them. This is only worsened with online sites like Bluenile... They can be great for the consumer, if for nothing more than research and keeping prices in line from the brick and mortar stores. But they've also highlighted the sheer volume of stones available which leads to questions about value in the first place.

I know it's not what the OP had in mind, but an interesting topic nonetheless...

• 1 month later...

White diamonds may not be worthy investments but colored diamonds are.

There are a handful of red diamonds in the world, going for millions per carat. red is the rarest of all colored diamonds, next in rarity would be blue and green diamonds and then pink diamonds.

For every 100 thousand carats of D flawless diamonds found, only one carat of quality colored diamond is found in comparison. Colored diamonds are great investments, just look at the last few Sotheby's and Christie's auction results on colored diamonds....the price per carat for colored diamonds have gone thru the roof.

• 3 months later...
Diamond value is artificially propped up by DeBeers. Waste of money.

Exactly

And they are shinny itty bitty pebbles that de beers has convinced dumb people that someone doesn't love them unless they spend a lot of money for them.

Never have spent a dime on a diamond, and never ever will :-)

Exactly

And they are shinny itty bitty pebbles that de beers has convinced dumb people that someone doesn't love them unless they spend a lot of money for them.

Never have spent a dime on a diamond, and never ever will :-)

foreveralone.png

foreveralone.png

lollol...that's what I was thinking...lol..

I don't understand diamonds so much, my wife doesn't understand supercars so much...we agree to disagree.

foreveralone.png

Lol don't hate :-P

Hal the guys on here know very well if their money drys up, and thus all the luxeries they bestow upon their women, their women would go just as the cash did.

I told my gf ill never buy her a ring, but would consider an audi (4rings) as its something of value, worth, and praticallity. If she want to go make her girlfriends jealous she can go buy her own ring.

Neither of us want to get married anyways, so it'll be an "engagement audi" and we will be engaged to be happy forever, together every day cause we want to be, not cause we have to be. I could kick her out tomorrow with zero consequences, if we are married I'm trapped...well till I want to spend months getting out, endless $$$$ on lawyers, then in the end I've lost have my shit.

But u knew all this already kevin ;-)

Hal the guys on here know very well if their money drys up, and thus all the luxeries they bestow upon their women, their women would go just as the cash did.

I told my gf ill never buy her a ring, but would consider an audi (4rings) as its something of value, worth, and praticallity. If she want to go make her girlfriends jealous she can go buy her own ring.

Neither of us want to get married anyways, so it'll be an "engagement audi" and we will be engaged to be happy forever, together every day cause we want to be, not cause we have to be. I could kick her out tomorrow with zero consequences, if we are married I'm trapped...well till I want to spend months getting out, endless $$$$ on lawyers, then in the end I've lost have my shit.

The Audi will depreciate a lot faster.

That would imply selling it.

Any car worth buying, is worth keeping forever :-)

She likes the s5 or rs5

You haven't owned an Audi out of warranty have you?

Timing belts/water pump (routine maint at around 80k miles) and a tranny that starts having trouble, all of a sudden you're 70% the value of the car into repairs.

The blow job you get when you slap 5 carats on her is vastly different then the handy you'll get driving off the lot.

The blow job you get when you slap 5 carats on her is vastly different then the handy you'll get driving off the lot.

For 5 carats she'll be doing things that make Team Salamone blush.