What's a decent price for this car?

MrDoctor

Sister is looking to buy a car, has cash for it, dealer went down to 10K, I personally know that is too much for this car, just wonder what LP thinks :icon_thumleft:

http://www.capitoltoyota.com/used/BMW/2000...ntory/index.htm

$10,000

BMW 323Ci

88k miles

Premium and sport package, 5 speed manual

1 owner

Really clean cosmetically, checked over the car, runs nice, good tires, etc.

Consider purchasing something a little newer with less miles. Replacement parts can get pricey especially if she's on a budget.

Good luck!

I had a 2000 328Ci for a couple of years. It needed every repair in the book and cost thousands per year to own above and beyond the normal costs. I advise you to run, not walk, from that deal.

Consider purchasing something a little newer with less miles. Replacement parts can get pricey especially if she's on a budget.

Good luck!

I had a 2000 328Ci for a couple of years. It needed every repair in the book and cost thousands per year to own above and beyond the normal costs. I advise you to run, not walk, from that deal.

Thanks fellas, I agree. She needs something asap and doesn't want a car payment, will probably keep the car for 1 year.

Why this car, I don't know. Also was looking at a 2001 330CI for 11.8k, don't know if that's any better...doubt it.

Gotta send her a link to this post!

Her next choice would probably be a mustang or vw beetle :icon_oak:

Hopefully she grows up soon :icon_thumleft:

I agree, and i know Bimmers. There is plenty of stock out there with fewer miles if she must have a Bimmer. There are some good solid new cars that will have warranty so you need to ask her why the Bimmer and not something as an entry level ride with some protection than a 12 year old car.

Because she's a girl and it's a BMW. She's thinking about outings to the mall and looking cute while driving. Not about repair cost and reliability.

19278298.jpg

the 80K plus mileage on a german car is right about the time when things start to get real costly. $1000 for this, $1200 for that a couple months down the road. Adds up quick. Go get a nice honda and by a bimmer down the road with the money she saves on service.

Terrible purchase. $10K for a shitty, 12 year old BMW with 88K miles? Are you serious? Do not let her buy this car.

Take her to the nearest Ford or Honda dealer and get her in a Civic or Focus. She'll thank you when she's getting 30-40mpg, has a warranty repair in 4 years, and can hook up a smartphone to it.

That car will eat her lunch in repairs. Fun little car, no power, dated interior, shat gas mileage and how is the clutch? Has she considered using the 10k she has towards a 3 year lease on a new one? 299 per month times 36 months is 11k with no repairs, no maintenance, service loaners et al. Just at thought. If not that, I would buy a pre owned Acura...

That car will eat her lunch in repairs. Fun little car, no power, dated interior, shat gas mileage and how is the clutch? Has she considered using the 10k she has towards a 3 year lease on a new one? 299 per month times 36 months is 11k with no repairs, no maintenance, service loaners et al. Just at thought. If not that, I would buy a pre owned Acura...

THANK YOU! I'm talking her into this. Or, at least taking out a small loan to get something newer/better.

She saw a 2002 Lexus IS that she liked, going to take a look at it today for her.

BUT, if that falls through, I don't see why she should NOT use this money as a down payment on something newer. IMO shes going to waste more $ long term going this route since she seems to be unhappy with everything she ever gets.

I have had quite a few BMWs over the years, never had any major issues, always liked the way the 3-series felt.

I always thought 3-series felt cheap :eusa_think:

That particular car is a touch overpriced, but to be fair I don't know the vert market very well.

If you must have a BMW, buy from an enthusiast who has done the preventative maintenance. Cooling system, suspension, subframe, vanos, valve cover gaskets, bushings and mounts, are the main ones.

If you are willing to do some work on it yourself, the parts aren't all that expensive. If you have to pay someone to do the work then you should really budget an additional $5k for a safety net/preventative maintenance.

Check out the BMW forums... e46fanatics, bimmerforums.

Sister is looking to buy a car, has cash for it, dealer went down to 10K, I personally know that is too much for this car, just wonder what LP thinks :icon_thumleft:

http://www.capitoltoyota.com/used/BMW/2000...ntory/index.htm

$10,000

BMW 323Ci

88k miles

Premium and sport package, 5 speed manual

1 owner

Really clean cosmetically, checked over the car, runs nice, good tires, etc.

Good luck!

If you are 100% set on it ok, no sesne in talking you out of it but make sure you see the smog done in front of you. meaning you take it to any smog station, why if the dealer know's someone to get it passed then 2 years run buy call the dealer up on that car and ask how much the catalytic converters are on that car. Might not be worth it

as per the comment - get something - newer - i'd say 10000000% on that. you might end up with something you can not afford to fix, seen so many times cars get into a shop and i'd mention how clean it looks but failed smog.

That particular car is a touch overpriced, but to be fair I don't know the vert market very well.

If you must have a BMW, buy from an enthusiast who has done the preventative maintenance. Cooling system, suspension, subframe, vanos, valve cover gaskets, bushings and mounts, are the main ones.

Sounds like me. I've still got my 2002 BMW 325ci and it still runs well. Had new control arms, bushings, valve cover gaskets, steering pump, coolant system flush, and belts done, and an oil change - all in a few month span from October 2011 to February 2012. Milage is around 116K now and I'm sure it will last as long as I keep it up.

By that statement you will also see I agree that everything does tend to like to go around the same time which did suck. :aiwebs_022: Things have been fine with it and I also upgraded to a new (dealer leftover) 2011 328 xdrive coupe at the end of Feb.

Also I'd agree to look into something newer for her.

THANK YOU! I'm talking her into this. Or, at least taking out a small loan to get something newer/better.

She saw a 2002 Lexus IS that she liked, going to take a look at it today for her.

BUT, if that falls through, I don't see why she should NOT use this money as a down payment on something newer. IMO shes going to waste more $ long term going this route since she seems to be unhappy with everything she ever gets.

Here is where being big brother plays it part. Protect her from all those costly repairs that will come from owning a 12 year old BMW. She wants her cake, so get her into that lease if she can fully grasp the workings of it. Otherwise visit your local Honda/Toyota and get into something newer!

This reminds me quite a bit of my wife's friend. She has a 2006 Audi with 230,000 miles on it which she had bought new. She drives from her home in Port St. Lucie to Miami like its driving to her local Supermarket. So on one of our visits to her place last year I asked, since she puts almost 40,000 miles a year on her car-"Why dont you buy a civic or accord or prius when you drive that much?"

Oh I can't downgrade my car she said. She is a stay at home wife "no kids" and her husband makes about 40k a year. She does 300 mile trips once a month to Miami to get her hair done, and another 300 mile trip to get her nails done. Car breaks down all the time, and constantly needs repair. Drives 100-150 mile trips all the time to visit her mother.

I told her she is a fcuking idiot. I then told my wife she needs new friends

Moral of the story is-Dont buy a car that will give you headaches because it has a shiny emblem on the front. Especially one that is not a purpose built fast car-ie exotic. Sounds like she wants to look the part and she doesn't have the coin.

Nothing wrong with an accord or corolla for $10k with low miles and low maintenance. Hell, I make what I think is very good money for my age, and I may be buying one soon so I dont lose a ton of money on gas and maintenance, and give my nice shiny BMW to my wife that has a short commute.

I feel you pock, I'm rocking the same 1992 lexus sc 300 I bought as my first car...she doesn't take after me! Next combo I get is Gallardo/Honda..I don't care, give me my commuter car and weekend car...!

welp, she bought it. Just came back from driving it, fun little car. Oh well. :lol2:

Thankfully all maintenance is up to date and she doesn't drive very much. let's just hope this doesnt end up like the last bmw she had! she did nothing to that car, treated it like crap!