3D Televisions

Redlambo

I have the Samsung 8 and 9 series home in 55" and they rock! So good I wait for the new ones in 65" so I can STEP UP when they arrive in July :icon_thumleft:

And one other thing, they look thebest out there, only the new LG can compete in design imho, my 9 series is thinner than my iPhone..

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks so much everyone, this is the exact feedback and guidance that I was hoping to get.

A few more details about my application my living room is very long and relatively narrow, roughly 30' x 17' with 10' ceilings.

That being the case I needed to gobble up some wall space so I purchased a TV cabinet with an upper surround.

The upper surround more or less limits me to a 55" TV, plus the other limiting factor is the distance from the TV.

As I said the room is narrow 17' that puts us relatively 15' feet from the screen so anything larger than 55" might be too big.

As far as ambient light, the room does not get that much light other than sunset in the summer and noon in the winter.

The sunset in the summer is not a problem as I usually just close the blinds which makes the room very dark perfect IMO.

I am leaning towards the Samsung 8000 as everyone that has one seems to give it great praises.

Again many thanks Guys. Sincerely Vic

Get the 8000 over the 9000.

The 9000 is more expensive, but it is not as good as the 8000. They made it thinner, but the picture is worse. And in the end the thin tv is cool, but after the initial "wow look how thin it is", all that matters is the picture quality.

Get the 8000 over the 9000.

The 9000 is more expensive, but it is not as good as the 8000. They made it thinner, but the picture is worse. And in the end the thin tv is cool, but after the initial "wow look how thin it is", all that matters is the picture quality.

I have both and I disagree. Same quality. I do agree with you on the thin part though, I bought it since I loved the new technology (it really was/is mindblowing how thin it is) and its insanely good looks!

Soon it is time for OLED though :icon_mrgreen:

Look at the brightness on your two tv's. The 8000 is much brighter than the 9000. If you see them next to each other you will notice it right away.

That reminds me of why I try to actually stay away from the AVS forum now for that exact reason.

You've got nerds pouring over every pixel of a display or projection pointing out its flaws, and once I know they're there I always see them 100% of the time. :lol2:

Now I'm blissfully ignorant and enjoying every second. :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2:

This is interesting stuff, and is a good reminder that ignorance really can be bliss when it comes to enjoying a/v products you actually own (as opposed to those you are evaluating).

• 1 month later...

Well I had a problem with my sharp 60LE835, got a vertical blue line on the right side of the screen so now I have some options.

They will give me a free upgrade to the new hotness 60LE847U.

Or I can pay and upgrade to a 70. Waiting to hear back on the upgrade costs but wanted to get some feedback from the guys with a lot of experience here.

I have read not such great reviews on the 70LE745. So I'm looking at the 6400, or do I go all out for the 70LE847? Will report back with the upgrade costs.

Truth be told I'm not into the 3D aspect so don't even sweat that as a deal breaker. The 6400 should all but be a wash on the upgrade price.

Yes I have the viewing space for almost 17 square feet of TV Screen :eusa_dance:

Well I had a problem with my sharp 60LE835, got a vertical blue line on the right side of the screen so now I have some options.

They will give me a free upgrade to the new hotness 60LE847U.

Or I can pay and upgrade to a 70. Waiting to hear back on the upgrade costs but wanted to get some feedback from the guys with a lot of experience here.

I have read not such great reviews on the 70LE745. So I'm looking at the 6400, or do I go all out for the 70LE847? Will report back with the upgrade costs.

Truth be told I'm not into the 3D aspect so don't even sweat that as a deal breaker. The 6400 should all but be a wash on the upgrade price.

Yes I have the viewing space for almost 17 square feet of TV Screen :eusa_dance:

If you can get the 70" for a reasonable amount more, I would get that. I think 3D is gimmicky and wouldn't bother with it.

My GF and I just got the Samsung ES8005 LED SmartTV 55". Freaking AMAZING picture quality and minimal light bleed (even though it's LED). It has to be pitch black in the room to even see a little bit of it (with higher backlight settings).

Love the frame as well and the TV is VERY thin. Looks great on our Vogel THIN 345 180 degree wall mount. http://www.vogels.com/web/Consumer/Consume...lpine-White.htm

Can't see the wall mount when it's turned. Looks like the TV is floating in the air.

I just want to know when I can watch them without the glasses.

Samsung already make a 3D TV without glasses... its just not available to the general public (or at least I don't think?). I saw it in Vegas, you definitely get the 3D feeling, although it messes with your eyes really bad. Makes you feel like you're watching crosseyed, and you have to be directly in front of the tv to get the full 3D experience. But its only a matter of time..

Personally I decided to go against the 3D because I don't want to pay $30 a pop for a DVD I'll watch one time, and I usually get my movies "for free," if you know what I mean. Also the 3D DVD's take a bit more time to come out (3-8 months) than the "free" movies I watch, and since I don't like watching a movie more than once it was kind of a deal-breaker for me. Just be warned with the non-3D Samsung TV's as their packaging is really misleading, I got a UN55D6050, which has the SmartHUB/SmartTV, but it comes without a web browser (which I found out later). The 6500 rage and above come with the web browser... But that was an easy fix, an old laptop, the extra wireless mouse/keyboard that's been laying in storage, and an HDMI cable, and I have a full blown computer on my tv for $0... The only reason I regret not getting the 3D is because of UEFA, from what I heard all the major sports are now supposed to be shot in 3D. Anyone watching the games in 3D by any chance?

Anyway while we're on the subject of TV's/OLED tech, anyone have their mind blown yet by the Samsung Smart Window?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rlTrdF5Cs

Saw this thread and had to chime in. On black Friday of last year, I bought a 60" Sharp Aquos LC-60LE6300U (LED) as it had great reviews and a great price. I put it on the wall in our living room and have been happy with it since (to be honest, I was upgrading from an old 55" HD rear-projection TV, so I knew I would be impressed with the new tech though matter what. I didnt think it could get much better).

Then, a few weeks ago, I visited my Cousin in Florida, who just bought a Samsung 55" LED (not sure of the model).

To say I was blown away is an understatement. I have NEVER seen a TV with a picture that good. When I came home and turned on my Aquos, I was blown away at how much better the picture on the Samsung was. Granted seeing them side by side might have changed things a little, but her TV was amazing.

I still love my TV and am very happy with Sharp thus far, but my next TV will most definitely be a Samsung.

Samsung already make a 3D TV without glasses... its just not available to the general public (or at least I don't think?). I saw it in Vegas, you definitely get the 3D feeling, although it messes with your eyes really bad. Makes you feel like you're watching crosseyed, and you have to be directly in front of the tv to get the full 3D experience. But its only a matter of time..

Personally I decided to go against the 3D because I don't want to pay $30 a pop for a DVD I'll watch one time, and I usually get my movies "for free," if you know what I mean. Also the 3D DVD's take a bit more time to come out (3-8 months) than the "free" movies I watch, and since I don't like watching a movie more than once it was kind of a deal-breaker for me. Just be warned with the non-3D Samsung TV's as their packaging is really misleading, I got a UN55D6050, which has the SmartHUB/SmartTV, but it comes without a web browser (which I found out later). The 6500 rage and above come with the web browser... But that was an easy fix, an old laptop, the extra wireless mouse/keyboard that's been laying in storage, and an HDMI cable, and I have a full blown computer on my tv for $0... The only reason I regret not getting the 3D is because of UEFA, from what I heard all the major sports are now supposed to be shot in 3D. Anyone watching the games in 3D by any chance?

Anyway while we're on the subject of TV's/OLED tech, anyone have their mind blown yet by the Samsung Smart Window?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rlTrdF5Cs

Cool, thanks. I'll wait. My old Mitsubishi DLP is six years old and still kicking ass. Every few years I go through a purging of A/V hardware and do an exorbitant amount of research into them, often involving A/V forums and WAY more than I ever want to know about anything. VCR on here was very helpful with his basic (yet very good) advice on getting a kickass audio system on a budget. So many people make it so difficult that it takes all the fun out of it.

Saw this thread and had to chime in. On black Friday of last year, I bought a 60" Sharp Aquos LC-60LE6300U (LED) as it had great reviews and a great price. I put it on the wall in our living room and have been happy with it since (to be honest, I was upgrading from an old 55" HD rear-projection TV, so I knew I would be impressed with the new tech though matter what. I didnt think it could get much better).

Then, a few weeks ago, I visited my Cousin in Florida, who just bought a Samsung 55" LED (not sure of the model).

To say I was blown away is an understatement. I have NEVER seen a TV with a picture that good. When I came home and turned on my Aquos, I was blown away at how much better the picture on the Samsung was. Granted seeing them side by side might have changed things a little, but her TV was amazing.

I still love my TV and am very happy with Sharp thus far, but my next TV will most definitely be a Samsung.

Which Samsung does she have? I can say there is a reason those D8000 60" sets are $3k and the Sharp 60 was $1k.

Dollar for Dollar it's hard to beat the Sharp, but if you want the best I agree it's hard to beat the Samsung.

Which Samsung does she have? I can say there is a reason those D8000 60" sets are $3k and the Sharp 60 was $1k.

Dollar for Dollar it's hard to beat the Sharp, but if you want the best I agree it's hard to beat the Samsung.

I just checked with her as I was curious myself, and she said shes pretty sure it is the UN55C6500 (55"). So it looks like its not even one of the real expensive models.

I agree with you 100% in that dollar for dollar, its hard to beat the Aquos though (heck that price for a 60" LED was what got me shopping that black friday in the first place LOL). I would buy it again in a heartbeat and have no complaints at this point. Having spent a few days at her house though, I can say whatever model Samsung she has definitely trumps

mine in terms of picture quality though. I was really impressed. :)

Like anything else, its good to see them getting better and better every year. Heck at the 10-year rate at which I generally upgrade TV's, I cant imagine what theyll have out by the time I'm ready for a new one again! LOL

I agree with you 100% in that dollar for dollar, its hard to beat the Aquos though (heck that price for a 60" LED was what got me shopping that black friday in the first place LOL). I would buy it again in a heartbeat and have no complaints at this point. Having spent a few days at her house though, I can say whatever model Samsung she has definitely trumps mine in terms of picture quality though. I was really impressed. :)

Sharp's 90" version of their 7-series LCD sets is shipping now, street price is around $9k.

Tempted to move the 70" I bought last year upstairs into the game room, which would then give me the justification to pull the trigger on this monster...

The 90" price is inflated right now because of its newness and size supremacy on the market, it will likely be $6-7k by Christmas as LG and I believe one other vendor will have 84"+ sizes on the market to help push pricing down, so I'll probably hold off for the savings.

Sharp's 90" version of their 7-series LCD sets is shipping now, street price is around $9k.

Tempted to move the 70" I bought last year upstairs into the game room, which would then give me the justification to pull the trigger on this monster...

The 90" price is inflated right now because of its newness and size supremacy on the market, it will likely be $6-7k by Christmas as LG and I believe one other vendor will have 84"+ sizes on the market to help push pricing down, so I'll probably hold off for the savings.

What 70 do you have and thoughts thus far? I'm still debating keeping the 60-847 or getting a 70 in some configuration. I've heard some mediocre reviews on the 70-745 so it seem like you go 6400 or all the way to the 845. As I mentioned, I couldn't give two fucks about 3D.

What 70 do you have and thoughts thus far? I'm still debating keeping the 60-847 or getting a 70 in some configuration. I've heard some mediocre reviews on the 70-745 so it seem like you go 6400 or all the way to the 845. As I mentioned, I couldn't give two fucks about 3D.

I've been very pleased with it so far, happy with the picture quality and featureset.

It's the 745 model and after extensively viewing/testing the various Sharp 945 and Elite models against it I would consider the 745 to be the minimum I would purchase in any size for HD/Blu-ray duty. Meaning nothing in the 6xx class or below.

Despite what I just typed however I do have a 60LE632 as well, but it's solely used as the Xbox/PS3/GamePC display in the game room, I don't watch movies/tv on it. For a game setup it's great (cheap too), but again I wouldn't press it into home theater duty as the spec isn't high enough imo.

It would be nice if the Sharp 90" had debuted in the 845 segment or higher, but the truth is that I've been happy enough with the 745 that the extra benefits are likely lost on me anyway.

• 2 months later...

I picked up a 55" LG LED last October for $798 on eBay and have never been able to find another deal like that. I need to pick up another TV in the near future too.

I'm sort of pissed.

I love the TV, insane pic quality and the design is top notch.

But, when I now look at pictures, there is a large black bar in top and the bottom when doing 16:9, going zoom or widezoom makes it fullscreen but the movie gets distorted and Batman looks like he thin as a toothpick.

Why the fcuk should one get a 65" over a 55" when the movie isn't played fullscreen!?

I'm sort of pissed.

I love the TV, insane pic quality and the design is top notch.

But, when I now look at pictures, there is a large black bar in top and the bottom when doing 16:9, going zoom or widezoom makes it fullscreen but the movie gets distorted and Batman looks like he thin as a toothpick.

Why the fcuk should one get a 65" over a 55" when the movie isn't played fullscreen!?

You need Philips Cinema 21:9 for the movies.

for example: Philips 58PFL9956T/12 58" Ultra wide Smart LED

You need Philips Cinema 21:9 for the movies.

for example: Philips 58PFL9956T/12 58" Ultra wide Smart LED

Ugly/weird looking TV, no thanks!

Why the hell does a 55" Samsung 8 series work flawless, and the new 65" 8 series screw stuff up? Seriously, what the hell is/am I doing wrong? any techguys mind helping?

i stream movies from my Boxee Box but nothing has changedin my setup except the TV itself, I'm pissed!