3D Televisions

Redlambo

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

VCR, I was hoping you would give your thoughts on the new set I'm considering. :)

Oh, ok. :)

First, I find it odd that your Sharp would fail in such a short time. Is it under warranty though? Sharp makes some of the best screen in the industry although they have fallen on hard times lately. You should contact Sharp to see if a replacement or some kind of credit is possible.

As to the Panasonic, as you may know, I am not a great fan of plasma since it is an obsolete and inherently more dangerous technology. That said, however, plasma does offer superior black rendition and Panasonic is one of the last, if not the very last, manufacturers that still makes plasma and they are not bad at it at all. Pioneer was the best but they had since departed from making tv. Regrettably, I had never seen the Panasonic set that you had mentioned but I had seen similar smaller-screen versions of it. It's good but not great --- has some tendency to colour-bleed (different colours sometimes "smear" onto each other) which decreases sharpness & contrast but given the price, it's not bad at all. They do run rather hot so make sure you have plenty of space behind the set --- 6" clearance at the very least, or else its lifespan will be significantly compromised. And don't turn it on & off repeatedly within a very short period. I.e. once you turned it off, give it at least 5mins before turning it back on.

Wheels, bring a Blu-Ray disc known to have quality video that you are familiar with to a tv store and ask them to play the disc on a few sets, the A/B comparison would be obvious. You can also buy DVD/BD video calibration discs to test the tv. And if a tv store refuses to play the disc for you, then they aren't worth patronizing anyway.

Thankyou for the information, I appreciate it :)

Old tech tv involving picture tube and/or tubes to drive the circuit require extremely high voltage and amperage; many also have large capacitors which can store plenty of current. Consequently, the circuits have to be well designed and stringently manufactured in order to tolerate such high power; any sloppy job would yield "explosive" results...literally.

Very interesting; I have read that people would always look at light bulbs and televisions sets in the Soviet Union to see when they were made in the factory. The Soviets did not have much quality-control at all in the factories and to the extent that they did, it went totally out the window when the workers were rushing near the end of the period to fulfill their quota, so you most definitely did not want one from near the end of said month!

Samsung has a very good verity of 3D televisions at a very affordable prices so if you want to purchase a 3D electronic than you should prefer them. Also i have an other suggestion for you that if you have craze about the 3D than you should purchase the 3D glasses.

Thankyou for the information, I appreciate it :)

Very interesting; I have read that people would always look at light bulbs and televisions sets in the Soviet Union to see when they were made in the factory. The Soviets did not have much quality-control at all in the factories and to the extent that they did, it went totally out the window when the workers were rushing near the end of the period to fulfill their quota, so you most definitely did not want one from near the end of said month!

No problem. :)

People in this part of the world used to say the same thing about American cars made on Mondays and Fridays. :icon_mrgreen:

OT but nowadays, tube manufacturing are having a Renaissance. Most of the defunct tube manufacturing plants in China and Russia (during the USSR-era) are being revived to make tubes for audio use. The new private companies are hiring former plant managers and technicians to restart the manufacturing. And since these are for hobby use (as in hi fi) and are relatively in low volume, careful QC are implemented. So far, the results are very promising: quality materials for glass, filaments and sockets yield great quality which provide superior sound and reliability. But as with all good things in life, they don't come cheap.

Samsung has a very good verity of 3D televisions at a very affordable prices so if you want to purchase a 3D electronic than you should prefer them. Also i have an other suggestion for you that if you have craze about the 3D than you should purchase the 3D glasses.

:eusa_wall: :rolleyes:

No problem. :)

People in this part of the world used to say the same thing about American cars made on Mondays and Fridays. :icon_mrgreen:

What part of the world are you in? Quality control regarding American cars did used to be really lacking. Edward Deming, a quality control expert and pioneer, went to Japan and taught them in-depth about how to do quality control, then when the Japanese companies started competing with American companies in the late 1970s, people saw how lousy-quality the American cars really were (one big problem was a lack of competition for the Big Three).

OT but nowadays, tube manufacturing are having a Renaissance. Most of the defunct tube manufacturing plants in China and Russia (during the USSR-era) are being revived to make tubes for audio use. The new private companies are hiring former plant managers and technicians to restart the manufacturing. And since these are for hobby use (as in hi fi) and are relatively in low volume, careful QC are implemented. So far, the results are very promising: quality materials for glass, filaments and sockets yield great quality which provide superior sound and reliability. But as with all good things in life, they don't come cheap.

Are tubes for audio like what record players are for playing music, i.e. more primitive technology, but superior quality when done right?

What part of the world are you in?

Are tubes for audio like what record players are for playing music, i.e. more primitive technology, but superior quality when done right?

Same part as yours but different coast.

Personally, I wouldn't call it primitive but I suppose you can say that.

@VCR i can't get your meaning what you want to say??

Seems like you don't get a number of other things: among those who makes a quality TV & policy on spamming.

Oh, ok. :)

First, I find it odd that your Sharp would fail in such a short time. Is it under warranty though? Sharp makes some of the best screen in the industry although they have fallen on hard times lately. You should contact Sharp to see if a replacement or some kind of credit is possible.

As to the Panasonic, as you may know, I am not a great fan of plasma since it is an obsolete and inherently more dangerous technology. That said, however, plasma does offer superior black rendition and Panasonic is one of the last, if not the very last, manufacturers that still makes plasma and they are not bad at it at all. Pioneer was the best but they had since departed from making tv. Regrettably, I had never seen the Panasonic set that you had mentioned but I had seen similar smaller-screen versions of it. It's good but not great --- has some tendency to colour-bleed (different colours sometimes "smear" onto each other) which decreases sharpness & contrast but given the price, it's not bad at all. They do run rather hot so make sure you have plenty of space behind the set --- 6" clearance at the very least, or else its lifespan will be significantly compromised. And don't turn it on & off repeatedly within a very short period. I.e. once you turned it off, give it at least 5mins before turning it back on.

So Sharp basically told me to pound sand in the most polite way possible :crybaby2: .

Would you be kind enough to give your thoughts on the Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U as well? Possibly any recommendations you may have in the <$2,000 range? The reason I was thinking of giving plasma a shot, is because I have yet to see an LED without various clouding issues due to non-uniform lighting and I find it pretty annoying.

Vyce, dude! Something has to be up. I have the 60" 3D 240hz Sharp Quattron and love it. Also, I can't believe Sharp told you to pound sand. I have two friends that work for Sharp in customer relations and I doubt they would agree with what the tech/customer support person told you. If you would like, send me your Model # and Serial # and let me give it to my friends and see if they will hook you up. I know for a fact that Sharp gave a close friend a credit for 70% of their sets purchase price to buy a new set after it had an issue 4 months out of warranty.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Best

PS- I think my buddies issue with his TV was self induced by not having a surge protector inline, so not even their equipments fault.

So Sharp basically told me to pound sand in the most polite way possible :crybaby2: .

Would you be kind enough to give your thoughts on the Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U as well? Possibly any recommendations you may have in the

That blows.. I had an 845 which developed a vertical blue line after about 3 months, but luckily still well under warranty. It took them almost 8 months to a replacement in stock which ended up being the 847u. I raised hell and got upgraded to the 70 for $400 out of pocket :icon_thumleft:

Thus far it's been great. My father in law has a 70-632 which has also been working very well. Not quite as slick as the samsung sets but overall it's hard to argue with the price.

Vyce, dude! Something has to be up. I have the 60" 3D 240hz Sharp Quattron and love it. Also, I can't believe Sharp told you to pound sand. I have two friends that work for Sharp in customer relations and I doubt they would agree with what the tech/customer support person told you. If you would like, send me your Model # and Serial # and let me give it to my friends and see if they will hook you up. I know for a fact that Sharp gave a close friend a credit for 70% of their sets purchase price to buy a new set after it had an issue 4 months out of warranty.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Best

PS- I think my buddies issue with his TV was self induced by not having a surge protector inline, so not even their equipments fault.

That would be greatly appreciated! I'll PM you the info. Thank you

Primitive implies inferior......these technologies are just older, but still superior when done right.

It's hard to find a parallel in other industries/products to draw a comparison. Perhaps film vs. digital camera could be one...

I thought I read somewhere that Plasma offers a more "film like" experience compared to LCD.

VCR, any thoughts on that?

Plasma does offer superior colour especially black --- nothing else comes close. OLED is getting there but it's only 40" at the moment. Perception of depth in plasma is superior to LCD by far. But the working principles of plasma disturbs me (but that's a matter of personal view and preferences); the fact that they get so hot bugs me even further. To be fair, I almost bought a Pioneer Kuro plasma as, to me, that is (was) the best flat screen I have seen in colour rendition. Yes, it's exaggerated at factory setting --- MSG-laced so to speak but given the correct calibration, it truly was a reference set. But it heated up the wall that was 8 inches behind the set and I can feel the heat coming off its screen a foot away from the front. Couldn't live with that so I passed. Still kind of :eusa_wall: today as that was the last model that Pioneer made.

Vyce77, I too find it appalling that Sharp told you to pound sand --- that is very unlikely behavior but I do believe you. Perhaps you should link up with PCow and see what he can do. The set that you mentioned is pretty safe. Nothing spectacular; nothing specific that excels; but likewise, nothing to fault either. It's a bit less vivid and tends to have a slight magenta hue to it but a quick calibration should do the trick. I am rather shock to hear that other Sharp tv's had failed. The ones that I had seen had been trouble-free but as said before, Sharp had fallen on hard times lately; perhaps their QC is slipping due to business decline.

VCR the Pioneer Kuro plasmas are infamous for heating rooms but are nothing like the new generation Panasonics. Just a quick look at the power consumption ratings will tell you this.

I have a 60" Panasonic plasma, 2012 ST range, one down from the GT, heat is not an issue, though it still needs a bit of room between it and the wall. Also it's not just the inky blacks, but a good plasma will perform exceptionally well at low light details of dark scenes and shadows. If you watch TV or movies in a dark room, plasma is the only option IMO.

I looked at a lot of sets and the only ones that performed better were from Grundig. The Samsungs and Sharps looked impressive in the store, but the colour settings were way off and just couldn't get a natural looking picture out of them, they made everything look fake. Top of the line Sony was closest. Also I found Panasonics upscaling of low resolution sources such as TV broadcasts and DVD to be the best or equal best.

VCR the Pioneer Kuro plasmas are infamous for heating rooms but are nothing like the new generation Panasonics. Just a quick look at the power consumption ratings will tell you this.

I have a 60" Panasonic plasma, 2012 ST range, one down from the GT, heat is not an issue, though it still needs a bit of room between it and the wall. Also it's not just the inky blacks, but a good plasma will perform exceptionally well at low light details of dark scenes and shadows. If you watch TV or movies in a dark room, plasma is the only option IMO.

I looked at a lot of sets and the only ones that performed better were from Grundig. The Samsungs and Sharps looked impressive in the store, but the colour settings were way off and just couldn't get a natural looking picture out of them, they made everything look fake. Top of the line Sony was closest. Also I found Panasonics upscaling of low resolution sources such as TV broadcasts and DVD to be the best or equal best.

Thanks, I know about the Kuro; that's why I didn't buy one. I am not too concerned about power consumptions --- if it yields better picture quality, who really cares how much power it uses. I just don't feel comfortable about the working principle of plasma tv's. Your depiction of "low light details of dark scenes and shadows" is what I meant about depth on my last post. Unfortunately, we don't have Grundig at this part of the world. But don't you find the Grundig a bit shy in defining green?

Loewe, not Grundig. I didn't notice anything lacking in the greens. A good friend has a Kuro. Beautiful but a bit small.

If you are after a Kuro like picture, check out the Panasonic VT 50 series and their new top of the line 60 series. Some engineers moved to Panasonic after Pioneer stopped their plasma division. My ST doesn't go as black as the VT but I don't watch much TV or many movies, so doubling the price for hardly any viewing time was a bit if a waste for me.

Plasma vs LCD, what does it matter how the picture is achieved?

I've bought 3 Panasonic plasmas over the last 2 years. 46,50,& 60. They have been great especially for the money. Had them all calibrated and have no complaints

Loewe, not Grundig. I didn't notice anything lacking in the greens. A good friend has a Kuro. Beautiful but a bit small.

If you are after a Kuro like picture, check out the Panasonic VT 50 series and their new top of the line 60 series. Some engineers moved to Panasonic after Pioneer stopped their plasma division. My ST doesn't go as black as the VT but I don't watch much TV or many movies, so doubling the price for hardly any viewing time was a bit if a waste for me.

Plasma vs LCD, what does it matter how the picture is achieved?

Loewe? Ok, now we are talking. Yes, they make good hardware but, again, we don't have that at this end of the planet. I usually use a Barco LDX-series but that's likely too small for you. I use front projection for anything larger.

It matters to me on how the picture is achieved as plasma runs very hot; any inferior components on the PC board or the board itself will not last in the long run. They might not fail entirely but their quality nosedive after about 20 months and that doesn't sit well with me.

I know what you mean but I don't trust LCD's either just from a manufacturers QC point of view. I don't have any screens, LCD or plasma, purchased with any less than 5 years warranty as failures are just too common, though a gradual degradation of quality probably would not be covered. I had a Hitachi plasma blow up after 6 or 7 years of light use and I was not very impressed, although being just a SD screen it was out of date anyway.

No doubt plasmas run warmer than their LCD competitors, but they don't generate anywhere near the heat of plasmas 5+ years ago. That old Hitachi was a heater.

I just bought a 60" LG LED Smart TV. I'm no videophile, but the picture looks good to me. I thought the price was fair, no issue within the blacks or the 120hz.