06 Range Rover Sport

Falken

is it a nice ride for the price you pick one up these days?

or

is it a rolling hunk of problems?

whats the consensus?

is it a nice ride for the price you pick one up these days?

or

is it a rolling hunk of problems?

whats the consensus?

Don't do it...we had an 07 SC, unreliable, combined with the worst service possible departments. Newer ones maybe be better. Lots of problems with the air suspensions. The earlier ones have pretty cheap interior parts. The Nav is from the stone age and very slow. Lots of creaks and rattles. They did an update recently on interiors, engines and minor body mods. Much improved from what I hear. It's still built in England so I suspect reliability will always be an issue (I'm English).

They drive nice for a very heavy vehicle. I wouldn't own one without a warranty especially an early one. Eats brakes pads, we went through pads every 6 months Awful gas mileage, we averaged 14 to 15 mpg, though the engine is a good one. It's small inside considering the exterior dimensions. Awesome off road and in the snow, unstoppable. If you really have to have one, I would lease a new one, rather than buy an old one used. That way you can throw it away in 3 years and not worry about it.

I think you will either hear people love them or think they are nightmares. I would go for a 2010 if you can swing it. An 06 will surely have some maintenance at this point unless you're lucky

I think you will either hear people love them or think they are nightmares. I would go for a 2010 if you can swing it. An 06 will surely have some maintenance at this point unless you're lucky

06 was the first year, it's not a honda....

They are complicated and not cheap to fix. I would get the newest one you can afford.

I inquired about an extended warranty, they offered me 25,000 miles for $4,500, I think it speaks volumes about what they think about the cost to maintain them is after the warranty expires. I was stunned, naturally we declined.

We've had two 06 Rover Sports and they've both been fine. Actually they were bullet proof. We've heard stories of unhappy owners however we've been fine.

I was in the same boat not long ago, ended not getting one, they are so cheap so its hard not to get one

I saw how troubled they are and heard too many horror stories..

Like most British-made cars, results are at opposite ends: either you get lucky & it's trouble-free; or you don't and it's an absolute nightmare.

MY06 was the 1st year & it had many many software problems particularly the SC model. I would avoid and look for at least MY09 onward. To be on the safe side, you would want a car that's still under factory warranty.

By why a Range Sport which is essentially a LR3 with a Range Rover shell? Why not get the real thing: MY09+ full size Range Rover.

Like most British-made cars, results are at opposite ends: either you get lucky & it's trouble-free; or you don't and it's an absolute nightmare.

MY06 was the 1st year & it had many many software problems particularly the SC model. I would avoid and look for at least MY09 onward. To be on the safe side, you would want a car that's still under factory warranty.

:iamwithstupid:

The Sport has been a really popular model down here since its introduction, and everyone I know that's owned one seems to fall into one of the two camps you mentioned Al, either it was a total shit bomb or it ran flawlessly.

When did they do the interior change over to the new style? MY2009? Whenever that was that would be the year I'd target and nothing prior.

Unless you're in love with the looks, I think you're buying a big POS with respect to modern cars. Buying an old, regular SUV that 6 years old doesn't make much sense. Buying any 6-year old luxury car at a premium to a modern, lesser car doesn't make sense. It would be like spending 70K on a Bentley CGT when you could get a brand new BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Lexus with way more luxury. Sure, you have a Bentley, but at the end of the day your car gets shit gas mileage, has a lot of miles, expensive parts, no warranty, a terrible navigation system, no integration with modern smart phones, outdated everything and the list goes on. It's not like an exotic where even years later you have some high performance. With a 06 RR you get an 06 SUV and a body style.

Regardless of whether or not you have problems with it, you're getting a shitty old car that really excels at nothing in comparison to something of the same price and lesser badge. Something like a 2013 Ford Escape or an Evoque is probably a bit smaller but also 10x the SUV.

We've had two 06 Rover Sports and they've both been fine. Actually they were bullet proof. We've heard stories of unhappy owners however we've been fine.

:iamwithstupid:

my wife has a 2010 with zero issues. The 2010 drives better and has a nicer interior than the 2006-09 version.

If you want a premium SUV from the '06 era based on a "most bang for the buck" approach a Cayenne Turbo is a much better choice IMO. Different look admittedly, but much more reliable and a much better performer on the street.

My buddy has a Turbo Cayenne and he does love it but I haven't fallen in love with the looks of it. I just sold my Range Rover Sport Supercharged truck. It was a tank, no issues what so ever and I loved it except for the crappy gas mileage I'd get at 80-90mph :(

I think Abolfaz has a pretty awful ownership experience with a Sport. Something about the car locking up in gear

Something about the rear control arm braking, and the dealer telling him "happens all the time" didnt sit well.

Do not do it. 2006 is the first year and I've had my share of nightmares with Range Rovers. I had the Sport SC a few years back and I lost count how many times I had to call a flatbed to rescue me. Also, since it's a 2006 the truck is out of warranty and that is a big NO NO.