Paypal is a criminal organization

joebiz

It was a figure of speech meaning you never link PayPal to an account with money sitting in it. They can't take your cash if it has a zero balance.

Well, I have paypal linked to my primary account and I've never had a probl.........aw crap.

D'OH!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for a company that has a portion of the business that deals a lot with Pay Pal. I brought this thread up to the person that handles PP purchases the most. He said we have never had problems and thinks its very extreme cases where problems arise. Is this true or not?

Also do they take more money than is set for the transactions? Say you have 100k in the account linked. But the purchase they say is disputed is for 20k, can(or do they) they take say 50k?

I work for a company that has a portion of the business that deals a lot with Pay Pal. I brought this thread up to the person that handles PP purchases the most. He said we have never had problems and thinks its very extreme cases where problems arise. Is this true or not?

Also do they take more money than is set for the transactions? Say you have 100k in the account linked. But the purchase they say is disputed is for 20k, can(or do they) they take say 50k?

I've been dealing with paypal since 1998 and have never had a single problem, ever. Well, notwithstanding consumer chargebacks which are by-and-large outside of the domain of paypal. That's another issue altogether.

But never had a single problem with them, until now.

There are varying problems- from requesting "reserves" on accounts to seizing entire accounts to actually dipping into the checking accounts. It's absolutely terrifying that they can do this with impunity. I've spent a little bit of time researching this, and it seems as though it is more prevalent than I thought. There are entire forums dedicated to the various crimes of this organization. I don't have time to read the sob stories - but if you ever want to learn how paypal can wreck a business, spend 30 minutes on those forums. It's terrible.

If you set up a holding account that's only purpose is to link with paypal, and the bulk of your monies are safe from being plundered, the next question is what can a person do to prevent the inevitable overdraft pings that paypal's machine will inundate you with if it drains your account and wants more. Any ideas? I'm not sure what measures a bank might offer to slam the door on repeated paypal requests that lead to overdraft. I guess that would mean the only advantage left is that you are then allowed to make paying paypal a conscious decision vice them taking it from you, correct?

If you set up a holding account that's only purpose is to link with paypal, and the bulk of your monies are safe from being plundered, the next question is what can a person do to prevent the inevitable overdraft pings that paypal's machine will inundate you with if it drains your account and wants more. Any ideas? I'm not sure what measures a bank might offer to slam the door on repeated paypal requests that lead to overdraft. I guess that would mean the only advantage left is that you are then allowed to make paying paypal a conscious decision vice them taking it from you, correct?

Your bank should be able to set the account to just deny anything over the existing balance.

If they won't, find a new bank.

Your bank should be able to set the account to just deny anything over the existing balance.

If they won't, find a new bank.

If you find that bank, please let me know. I think a small enough credit union could manage that process, but Chase, BofA and Wells Fargo all say the same thing: Once that have ACH they always have ACH. That's utter BS.

If you find that bank, please let me know. I think a small enough credit union could manage that process, but Chase, BofA and Wells Fargo all say the same thing: Once that have ACH they always have ACH. That's utter BS.

I'll check but I'm almost positive Chase can do this. I know recently I had an issue with a mortgage payment to GMAC where they attempted to take payment for literally 10x the proper amount. Due to us having a dedicated bill paying account that only keeps a couple hundred extra bucks in it, it was kicked back and we discovered the issue.

If they would have allowed the account to go tens of thousands into the red, fcuking heads would roll.

• 4 months later...

I just recently sold my first item on e-bay and realize paypal is only good for buying.

This article came up and I thought it was crazy, paypal has too much power, they are like a cartel.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57352627-...tion-of-violin/

PayPal dispute ends in destruction of violin

Counterfeit or the genuine article?

Quite the donnybrook is brewing on the Internet over PayPal's decision to order a customer to destroy a purportedly rare violin.

A Regretsy.com reader named Erica related yesterday how she sold an old French violin "that made it through WWII" to a buyer in Canada for $2,500. However, the buyer disputed the authenticity of the label and demanded his money back. When the buyer contacted PayPal with his concerns, the payment processor instructed him to destroy it and refunded the purchase price.

"Rather than have the violin returned to me, PayPal made the buyer DESTROY the violin in order to get his money back," Erica wrote. "They somehow deemed the violin as 'counterfeit' even though there is no such thing in the violin world."

He even sent the seller a photo of the destroyed violin ("The buyer was proud of himself," Erica wrote.)

"It is beyond me why PayPal simply didn't have the violin returned to me," she wrote.

So why didn't he? Apparently PayPal's user agreement includes a dispute resolution process for items "significantly not as described" that gives it the last say on items it suspects are fakes:

Further, if you lose a SNAD Claim because we, in our sole discretion, reasonably believe the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed).

In a media statement defending the policy, PayPal said the destruction of goods it suspects to be counterfeit is in accordance with many countries' laws. "The reason why we reserve the option to ask the buyer to destroy the goods is that in many countries, including the U.S., it is a criminal offense to mail counterfeit goods back to a seller," the company said.

Despite Erica's assertions that violin counterfeiting is nonexistent, experts at the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers point out that "millions" of "Stradivarius" violins have been produced by violin makers in Europe, while Antonio Stradivarius is thought to have created only 1,100 during his lifetime.

Even though Erica said she had the violin "examined and authenticated by a top luthier prior to its sale," it's unknown what persuaded PayPal that the item was not the genuine article. PayPal declined to comment on that point, citing the company's privacy policy. The company is reportedly reviewing the matter.

Updated at 3:35 p.m. January 5 with PayPal declining to comment on how it determined the violin was counterfeit.

• 4 weeks later...

So I need some advice. I have sold a pretty expensive bike on eBay. The guy wants to pay with PayPal for two reasons; one he gets some 6 month financing deal with a thing called pay me later and two he wants some "buyer protection" offered through PayPal. I told him I would not accept it. This is a pain in the ass. He can't afford to stroke the check, even though I am going to FL next week and offered just to bring it with me, and he wants to have the ability to ring up PayPal if there is a problem and dispute. I am ready to say fcuk that noise, I am not down with flushing 5k if he decides to just call PayPal at will and dispute the charge. Thoughts???

So I need some advice. I have sold a pretty expensive bike on eBay. The guy wants to pay with PayPal for two reasons; one he gets some 6 month financing deal with a thing called pay me later and two he wants some "buyer protection" offered through PayPal. I told him I would not accept it. This is a pain in the ass. He can't afford to stroke the check, even though I am going to FL next week and offered just to bring it with me, and he wants to have the ability to ring up PayPal if there is a problem and dispute. I am ready to say fcuk that noise, I am not down with flushing 5k if he decides to just call PayPal at will and dispute the charge. Thoughts???

1) expect a dispute (he already showed the handwriting on the wall)

2) you will never win a PayPal dispute

Paypal is a criminal organization which aids criminals to scam innocent victims!

Sell the bike for less for cash and be done with it.

For anything worth > $100? Not even on a cold day in hell.

"PayPal" is to transactions, as "herpes" is to casual sex...

Im guessing its an expensive road bike? I would first try to list it for sale on your local craigslist, you will get lots of time wasters (been there done that). you may also try to list it on the for sale section of bike forums, it helps to be an active users to make a quick sale. Another idea is to part it out; sell the components and wheels on ebay, and put the frame up for sale at your local bike shop on consigment. Best of luck with the sale

Paypal, schmaypal. Anybody here ever heard of "Gunpal"? Google that for a nightmare of all nightmares.

See, that is the rub. I don't have a problem shipping it through FedEx or UPS. That is fine. Two problems, one being that they are going to charge me 3% to get the money and that 3% also buys me the ability for the guy to fcuk me on the other end. He can't "buy it" per se, he needs to finance it through a credit card. I offered to drop the bike on his doorstep as I am heading down that way after a race next Sunday, but he still wants to pay with PayPal. I just don't think I am down with that. I think I am setting myself up to get burned. eBay and their fees and bullshit are bad enough, their sister organization is a Draconian empire that is so buyer oriented, anything can happen. This is what my buddy just posted to Facebook, he isn't telling a story. This is what scares the shit out of me.

"Wanted to share this not so pleasant experience with all of you and perhaps shed a light on how unfair dealing on Ebay and with Paypal can be towards the "SELLER"! Months ago I sold a item on ebay. Thought everything was fine. The item was as represented, the payment came through. Three months after the fact the buyer decided he no longer wanted the item. He filed a claim with Paypal who in turn contacted me. I disputed the return stating excess time had past and the item was as represented. I felt the buyer had plenty of time to try the item and assumed all was well. Well, Paypal turns it over to the buyers credit card company who in turn sided with the buyer. Now Paypal says I owe them the amount of the item. Kicker is, and get THIS, the buyer refused to return the item, said "He threw it out!" So bottom line, the buyer has his money back, he still has the item, I am out the shipping and ebay has taken their percentage out of my account. Paypal said ( and they agreed with this statement) that the buyers credit card company says he has no legal responsibility to return the item. So I am out! Out! Out! OUT! and Paypal and ebay, the supposedly safe way to sell online are OK with this! REALLY???

Where did ethics and morals go? I have sold lots of items with 100 percent perfect feedback from all the buyers. This just blows my mind. Please like this if you agree and lets make it go VIRAL by sharing it with all your friends and hopefully save others from this very very unjust decision by both Ebay and Paypal. This IS a true story that ACTUALLY is happening to me!"

See, that is the rub. I don't have a problem shipping it through FedEx or UPS. That is fine. Two problems, one being that they are going to charge me 3% to get the money and that 3% also buys me the ability for the guy to fcuk me on the other end. He can't "buy it" per se, he needs to finance it through a credit card. I offered to drop the bike on his doorstep as I am heading down that way after a race next Sunday, but he still wants to pay with PayPal. I just don't think I am down with that. I think I am setting myself up to get burned. eBay and their fees and bullshit are bad enough, their sister organization is a Draconian empire that is so buyer oriented, anything can happen. This is what my buddy just posted to Facebook, he isn't telling a story. This is what scares the shit out of me.

"Wanted to share this not so pleasant experience with all of you and perhaps shed a light on how unfair dealing on Ebay and with Paypal can be towards the "SELLER"! Months ago I sold a item on ebay. Thought everything was fine. The item was as represented, the payment came through. Three months after the fact the buyer decided he no longer wanted the item. He filed a claim with Paypal who in turn contacted me. I disputed the return stating excess time had past and the item was as represented. I felt the buyer had plenty of time to try the item and assumed all was well. Well, Paypal turns it over to the buyers credit card company who in turn sided with the buyer. Now Paypal says I owe them the amount of the item. Kicker is, and get THIS, the buyer refused to return the item, said "He threw it out!" So bottom line, the buyer has his money back, he still has the item, I am out the shipping and ebay has taken their percentage out of my account. Paypal said ( and they agreed with this statement) that the buyers credit card company says he has no legal responsibility to return the item. So I am out! Out! Out! OUT! and Paypal and ebay, the supposedly safe way to sell online are OK with this! REALLY???

Where did ethics and morals go? I have sold lots of items with 100 percent perfect feedback from all the buyers. This just blows my mind. Please like this if you agree and lets make it go VIRAL by sharing it with all your friends and hopefully save others from this very very unjust decision by both Ebay and Paypal. This IS a true story that ACTUALLY is happening to me!"

I had an issue where I purchased something that was not as described. I had to take it to my CC company. They wanted proof I returned the item to the seller before refunding me. That seems really odd to me.

Are you only concerned about PayPal, or are you worried about credit cards as well? If you are ok with a credit card, you can pick up a card reader for your phone, like square card. I think they charge a percentage as a processing fee, but you could avoid PayPal and he could still "finance" with his card. Of course he can still dispute with his card company...

I use pay pal all the times buying stuff off ebay. And I don't recall any issues. I did have an issue with something I sold but that was more so due to the buyer and eBay. Just because he uses bill me pater doesn't mean he doesn't have the cash for it. I used that same thing to buy a Dyson vacuum a couple months ago since it is interest free.

Yeah, I am out. He can pay cash or he can find another bike. The bike is 9 grand new, he is getting it for 5,550 with zero miles on it. I am not willing to risk it, not at all. Paypal is a fcuking scam of all scams that is perpetrated by eBay now that they own them. I'm done. Too good of a deal for the buyer and he is not flexible so he is going to be out. I don't care if he dings my eBay acct either as it is one I had set up to sell cars on the side, not worried about not completing a sale on a bicycle.

Yeah, I am out. He can pay cash or he can find another bike. The bike is 9 grand new, he is getting it for 5,550 with zero miles on it. I am not willing to risk it, not at all. Paypal is a fcuking scam of all scams that is perpetrated by eBay now that they own them. I'm done. Too good of a deal for the buyer and he is not flexible so he is going to be out. I don't care if he dings my eBay acct either as it is one I had set up to sell cars on the side, not worried about not completing a sale on a bicycle.

Did you have in the ad that you dont accept Pay Pal? If so I dont see how he could ding you. I know that doesnt matter and people ding everyone for everything, but technically he shouldnt if you say you dont accept pay pal.

I'm done. Too good of a deal for the buyer and he is not flexible so he is going to be out

The fact that the guy refused your personal delivery is pretty shady... I'd bail too.

Does ebay even allow you to NOT accept paypal? I seem to recall them really ramming the paypal thing down your throat, especially now that they've got skin in the game.