Best older 911's?

lambolp400s

Of those that have experience, what older 911 (Early -70 to -89) would you choos as a driver? Older lighter cars with 2.7 (only if cam-tensioner is installed), or a 3.0SC with more power, or a late car from after 1984 with the 3.2 engine and a much better transmission, even if this engine does'nt sing like they used to do? I know the 993 is way better in any way, but they are to new..

70_100000950_xl.jpg

3.2 With a G50 if it's in your budget. I would not ever buy a 2.7 (74-77) 911 myself as they are the red headed step child of the air cooled 911 cars (Heavy and slow). If not, an earlier 3.2 or SC. Alternatively, you could go with an early 911 (72-73 2.4) but those are going to be more $ than all the other cars mentioned. All can be drivers, but it really depends on your budget.

3.2 With a G50 if it's in your budget. I would not ever buy a 2.7 (74-77) 911 myself as they are the red headed step child of the air cooled 911 cars (Heavy and slow). If not, an earlier 3.2 or SC. Alternatively, you could go with an early 911 (72-73 2.4) but those are going to be more $ than all the other cars mentioned. All can be drivers, but it really depends on your budget.

Budget is adjustable.. I just want to know what I should expect to be most satesfied with, and exect the least hassel with. Will be used a lot.

Motronic G50 car. Better engine, better tranny, better clutch and bigger vents on the dash (the last few years) and nicer interior (85 and newer).

SC 3.0 cheaper but not as nice IMO.

2.7 NO WAY. Not just the engine, I'm not a fan of the non flared quarters.

Car in the photo is a perfect example of all the things right with a 3.2. Front lower valence, recessed fog lights, etc. just right IMO.

Car in the photo is a perfect example of all the things right with a 3.2. Front lower valence, recessed fog lights, etc. just right IMO.

:iamwithstupid:

I love my SC and all, but a 3.2 G50 is definitely a better driver. The other problem is running into finding parts for the CIS system if things go bad. The G50 feels more smooth than the 915 trans. Although my 915 isn't too finicky, and it's still pretty smooth. But it definitely shows a little age.

On the flip side to this, I think working on the SC is way easier because things are pretty easy to get to. I do not like the tighter feel in the engine bay of the 3.2. But if you're having someone else do the work then it won't really matter as they get to deal with that and not you. In which case I'd say go with the 3.2.

Agreed though with Luis and Abolfaz, yuck on the 2.7. I'd love a 2.7 to own and drive as maybe a weekend car, or a once in a while car, but for daily driving? I don't know if I'd want that.

If you do any winter driving, get some blizzaks or winter extremes on that bad boy and go have some fun :)

by the way there is everything right with the car in the first post, I love those cars :)

by the way there is everything right with the car in the first post, I love those cars :)

Even the wheels are right as the car pictured has 8 & 9" fuchs, essentially a 911 rear wheel (or 86 944 turbo rear) up front and a 930 turbo rear out back. If you can find this set up (especially if the front Fuchs are 8" and have recessed lug nuts) then you've hit gold.

No brainer....the 911's in question are simply earliest to last design of the same model of car....last 3.2 is best.

Motronic G50 car. Better engine, better tranny, better clutch and bigger vents on the dash (the last few years) and nicer interior (85 and newer).

I thought G50 was on '87 cars and newer?

Or was that "US Spec", and Europe got the G50 earlier?

No brainer....the 911's in question are simply earliest to last design of the same model of car....last 3.2 is best.

So an '89 then.

What do you guys think of the '93 RS America? Not a huge fan of non turbo 964s, but I think this one would be nice.

My personal experience with a non turbo 964 has been nothing but good. Easy to add HP (small gains) and easy to use as DD. It has a modern feel without the 993 price tag.

post-13029-1340901568_thumb.jpg

My personal experience with a non turbo 964 has been nothing but good. Easy to add HP (small gains) and easy to use as DD. It has a modern feel without the 993 price tag.

Looks nice!

What do you guys think of the '93 RS America? Not a huge fan of non turbo 964s, but I think this one would be nice.

Fantastic car if you can find one. As with all 911 variants, but the newest one you can, early 964's were chock full of problems that were very expensive to fix. By the end of the run in 1994 most if not all of the cars faults were worked out.

• 3 weeks later...

:iamwithstupid:

Arguably the most popular 911 of the 90's. Anyone who has driven one will tell you it feels just right. Strangely, they sold an awful lot here in the UK, except we called them the RS touring & Club Sport / lightweight. Blueprinted engines, shorter throws, better suspension, geometry set up etc.... In good condition they still fetch silly money.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4059447.htm

Beautiful car. I wouldn't mind having a 964. Although I do not know much about the fuel system and what not. Granted, it may not be too hard to learn. I hated CIS for the longest time but I'm getting used to it more and more.