Rolls Royce Corniche

RyanRo24

2014-rolls-royce-corniche-coupe-001-opt-1343161170.jpg

It's been over a decade since Rolls-Royce last offered a Corniche, which was the company's name for its unibody coupe and convertible models since the early 1970s. But from the looks of what our photographers recently snapped in Munich, that drought may soon be over.

What they've spied is the 2014 Rolls-Royce Corniche coupe, a forthcoming model based on the Rolls-Royce Ghost. Never mind the fake door handles and rear doors on the test mules, the production Corniche will have just two suicide doors like its big brother the Phantom coupe.

Powertrain will probably be carried over from the Ghost sedan, meaning a 6.6-liter V12. We suspect that BMW will roll out its new Roller at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2013. Until then, our spies will keep their eyes open for more prototypes, including the oft-rumored convertible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/25/cornich...potted-testing/

I'd like to hear VBoxKings thoughts on it. He LOVED his Phantom Drophead and loves his Ghost. I believe he said he would rather have the Ghost when he is driving (easier to maneuver) and the Phantom (sedan) when being driven. I wonder if he would like the Corniche more than the Drophead since it would be smaller and easier to handle.

If there isn't that big of a size difference between the Drophead and the Corniche why would anyone buy the Corniche other than to save a few bucks?

I'd like to hear VBoxKings thoughts on it.

The car isn't even out yet, just wait for it. It can drive totally different or have a different feel to it.

So people who buy the corniche will do it to save bucks? Where is the free will to choose what you want because you like it more.

According to RR's history, the name Corniche is bestowed only onto the convertible RRs. The Drophead changed that altogether. So now they are offering a "lesser version" of a RR convertible only to use the same esoteric Corniche name on it. Something just doesn't seem right here.

FWIW, the Ghost is a well-engineered car and drives very nice. But I just can't get over the fact that it's a shell-swapped BMW 7-series. So is this going to be a re-bodied BMW 6-series?

FWIW, the Ghost is a well-engineered car and drives very nice. But I just can't get over the fact that it's a shell-swapped BMW 7-series. So is this going to be a re-bodied BMW 6-series?

Why? Does it really matter that much?

Why? Does it really matter that much?

Well yes, it actually does. When you spend a lot of money you expect something bespoke, Meaning made from the get go to do what it was meant to do. When you spend $300k and realize that 70% of it is from a $120k car you feel uneasy. You question if your money went towards an actual product or towards a royalty, did that $180k justify the 30% difference? Only the depth of ones pocket and ego can answer that.

Well yes, it actually does. When you spend a lot of money you expect something bespoke, Meaning made from the get go to do what it was meant to do. When you spend $300k and realize that 70% of it is from a $120k car you feel uneasy. You question if your money went towards an actual product or towards a royalty, did that $180k justify the 30% difference? Only the depth of ones pocket and ego can answer that.

:iamwithstupid:

When I set out to buy a Rolls Royce, I expect to get a genuine Rolls Royce engineered from the ground up instead of a re-shelled, re-upholstered and re-badge donor car; even if the donor car is fundamentally an excellent one.

• 2 months later...

rolls-royce-cornish-coupe-628.jpg

While all the gory details surrounding the new Rolls-Royce coupe – including its true name, "Corniche" is just a savory-sounding best guess right now – are still shrouded in mystery, this new set of clandestinely foraged images proves that the car probably won't be a slouch in terms of performance.

The Ghost-based Roller was spotted on the Nürburgring Nordschleife recently, demonstrating its sporting chops at the same time it was showing off it's impressive patrician nose. Expectations are that, when the new coupe is shown off for real at the Geneva Motor Show in March of next year, that nose will belong to the fastest production car to ever wear the Spirit of Ecstasy.

Indications are that the Corniche will be rocking a turbocharged V12, making in the ballpark of 600 horsepower, and using an eight-speed transmission.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/10/rolls-r...esting-at-nurb/

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/rolls-royce...#photo-5351689/

Does $180K matter that much? Um, yes. If the underlying car is a 7 series, what the hell is the other $180K going towards?

Only 20% of the parts are shared with the 7 series, so my guess would be the $180k is going towards the other 80%.

Only 20% of the parts are shared with the 7 series, so my guess would be the $180k is going towards the other 80%.

Depends what the 20% and 80% is. 100 main components vs 400 trim pieces? I really don't know, but my guess is a large portion of that $180K goes towards badge.

Does $180K matter that much? Um, yes. If the underlying car is a 7 series, what the hell is the other $180K going towards?

Depends what the 20% and 80% is. 100 main components vs 400 trim pieces? I really don't know, but my guess is a large portion of that $180K goes towards badge.

I got my father a Ghost for his Florida home. I might get him another, or a Phantom for his house around here. The Ghost, albeit, the opposite of what I like, is amazing. It is so much more car than the 7 series. It is that much better for those who like extreme luxury. Trust me, this endorsement is coming from someone who hate luxury automobiles and doesn't understand why anyone would want to feel like they are on a couch in their car. But, if that is your bag, the RR Ghost is an amazing drivers luxury car. Worth the money if that is your thing.