RWD Conversion

megachad

I have been thinking of doing the RWD conversion. Looks like getting the front SV axles is the best way to go is that correct? Any idea where to get some and how much? Is there a thread on here anywhere showing step by step how to convert?

Wondering from those that have done it. Does the front end seem to float without the added weight up there?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been thinking of doing the RWD conversion. Looks like getting the front SV axles is the best way to go is that correct? Any idea where to get some and how much? Is there a thread on here anywhere showing step by step how to convert?

Wondering from those that have done it. Does the front end seem to float without the added weight up there?

I've been thinking about doing this as well. Hopefully those that have done it can chime in with their pros and cons.

I worry about the safety aspect as well. I would assume that you would have to turn off the TCS or it would constantly engage. Does the car then become a wild child?

I have some deletes available.

The front end does not float without the weight. I did 182mph, after converting to RWD and without lowering the car; it was very stable. Lowering the car after going RWD is very simple as well since the Murci comes from the factory with height adjustable coilovers. A nice perk, I didn't align my car after lowering it; the car tracks the same and does not have premature wear on the tires.

I've been thinking about doing this as well. Hopefully those that have done it can chime in with their pros and cons.

I worry about the safety aspect as well. I would assume that you would have to turn off the TCS or it would constantly engage. Does the car then become a wild child?

Pros:

Significantly faster

Better fuel mileage

Longer clutch life

Easier to drive at low speeds

Easier to get moving from a stop

More likely to launch/go WOT in 1st because there's no worry about killing the clutch

Drop 175lbs

Cons:

No longer good at driving in snow with summer tires.

TCS is more of a hinderance than help IMO. It will kick on in 4th gear. The car without TC isn't 'wild', but it will spin the tires in first gear if you go WOT, usually second will spin a little, and sometimes 3rd (cold out, wet, etc). I turn the TC off every time I get in the car. When there is tire spin, the car is very easy to control.

The biggest difference is the car doesn't understeer around turns anymore. It is more neutral with a tendency to oversteer, which makes sprited driving on windy roads more enjoyable. The car is very predictable in the turns. It doesn't bite like a Viper does when the tail end comes out; I just power through.

Nick

I have some deletes available.

The front end does not float without the weight. I did 182mph, after converting to RWD and without lowering the car; it was very stable. Lowering the car after going RWD is very simple as well since the Murci comes from the factory with height adjustable coilovers. A nice perk, I didn't align my car after lowering it; the car tracks the same and does not have premature wear on the tires.

Pros:

Significantly faster

Better fuel mileage

Longer clutch life

Easier to drive at low speeds

Easier to get moving from a stop

More likely to launch/go WOT in 1st because there's no worry about killing the clutch

Drop 175lbs

Cons:

No longer good at driving in snow with summer tires.

TCS is more of a hinderance than help IMO. It will kick on in 4th gear. The car without TC isn't 'wild', but it will spin the tires in first gear if you go WOT, usually second will spin a little, and sometimes 3rd (cold out, wet, etc). I turn the TC off every time I get in the car. When there is tire spin, the car is very easy to control.

The biggest difference is the car doesn't understeer around turns anymore. It is more neutral with a tendency to oversteer, which makes sprited driving on windy roads more enjoyable. The car is very predictable in the turns. It doesn't bite like a Viper does when the tail end comes out; I just power through.

Nick

Very nice assessment. I have owned a viper and know what you mean. However never had a problem with it and no TCS in viper either. The lambo has been a very controlable car to me, and I would imagine as a RWD it would be a little more predictable in a slide at least. The pro's sound nice. I am very mechanically inclined. Sounds pretty easy to do on a Saturday?

i've been running RWD on my murcie for several years now. i highly recommend it. just be more careful in getting on the power when not on the straightline.

it's easier to navigate and the steering feel is improved. and most importantly, the car is faster.

i don't know why you need SV axles and other stuff. the tech that did mine just removed everything: the propeller shaft, differential and axle. i didn't have to buy or replace anything.

Nick (whiteout) is definitely the man to talk to on this one. I've just spent a ton of dough on buying my car, and stereo system for it, but THIS is the very next mod for the car. At least for summer time, I think it will be a blast.

Maybe Nick will hook us up with a group buy :)

He includes a protective cover for the output shaft too, which is a 'nice to have' I think he also includes instructions on how to do it, and provides the whole thing for about the cost of what 'retail' SV hubs would cost. I think the price is $1300.

I own a lift, so the mod itself is going to be a breeze, its just getting the time and spare cash to do this mod (Stereo has taken up 3-4 weekends already. Doing it myself, I'm that kinda guy.

Jon

Quick question. TC being Traction Control is one thing, but does the car come with 'active handling'? Or is this simply a mechanism to stop wheel spin? After having a Viper with none of that shit, and then going to a GTR that had that and a ton more, makes me curious what the Lambo has.

Just Traction Control? But its not active handling? (I've not done anything stupid to engage the 2nd part if it exists)

Thanks,

Jon

i've been running RWD on my murcie for several years now. i highly recommend it. just be more careful in getting on the power when not on the straightline.

it's easier to navigate and the steering feel is improved. and most importantly, the car is faster.

i don't know why you need SV axles and other stuff. the tech that did mine just removed everything: the propeller shaft, differential and axle. i didn't have to buy or replace anything.

If you remove everything, the halfshafts must be torn apart and the hub spline re-installed into the car.

Nick (whiteout) is definitely the man to talk to on this one. I've just spent a ton of dough on buying my car, and stereo system for it, but THIS is the very next mod for the car. At least for summer time, I think it will be a blast.

Maybe Nick will hook us up with a group buy :)

He includes a protective cover for the output shaft too, which is a 'nice to have' I think he also includes instructions on how to do it, and provides the whole thing for about the cost of what 'retail' SV hubs would cost. I think the price is $1300.

I own a lift, so the mod itself is going to be a breeze, its just getting the time and spare cash to do this mod (Stereo has taken up 3-4 weekends already. Doing it myself, I'm that kinda guy.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Installing it with a lift makes life much easier. But it can be done with the car on the ground.

Quick question. TC being Traction Control is one thing, but does the car come with 'active handling'? Or is this simply a mechanism to stop wheel spin? After having a Viper with none of that shit, and then going to a GTR that had that and a ton more, makes me curious what the Lambo has.

Just Traction Control? But its not active handling? (I've not done anything stupid to engage the 2nd part if it exists)

Thanks,

Jon

It's only TC. Wheel spin from each side is controlled by each ECU. So if there is right wheel spin the right ECU shuts down the right 6 cylinders. It's a very basic system.

If you remove everything, the halfshafts must be torn apart and the hub spline re-installed into the car.

Thanks Jon

Installing it with a lift makes life much easier. But it can be done with the car on the ground.

It's only TC. Wheel spin from each side is controlled by each ECU. So if there is right wheel spin the right ECU shuts down the right 6 cylinders. It's a very basic system.

Thats what I figured.

OK, lets do a GROUP BUY! I'm down! Put me on the list!

I ran RWD for 5 1/2 years in my old Murci and converted my SV to RWD within 30 minutes of delivery. It's the best mod anyone can do to a Murci, hands down.

There are ZERO cons.

My .02 on the lambo traction control is that it is shit anyways. It completely takes power away from the driver at the absolute wrong time sometimes. Whether the car is all wheel or rear wheel I don't think it is a good system. I think at the time the car was designed 580hp was a scary amount to put into the hands of unexperienced drivers so they did the quickest fix possible and just took away power at any slip of the wheel. Hell Now you can get a mustang with 650hp.. Newer Cars like the GTR have a great traction control system that don't necessarily take power away from the driver, but manage the power to different wheels etc to keep the car on the road. I see a lot of Lambo videos where the driver snap oversteers and spins or looses control. I wouldn't doubt that the traction control taking the power away from the driver has a lot to do with the spins in the first place. Counter steering a slide without throttle response doesn't do a whole lot of good. I would imagine a Murcie in RWD without traction control would actually be a pretty managable car. The traction control system is so bad that if you drive the car to the limits, it isn't going to correct anything anyways. Sadly it just takes away your ability as a driver to feather the throttle and get out of a hairy situation.

My .02 on the lambo traction control is that it is shit anyways. It completely takes power away from the driver at the absolute wrong time sometimes. Whether the car is all wheel or rear wheel I don't think it is a good system. I think at the time the car was designed 580hp was a scary amount to put into the hands of unexperienced drivers so they did the quickest fix possible and just took away power at any slip of the wheel. Hell Now you can get a mustang with 650hp.. Newer Cars like the GTR have a great traction control system that don't necessarily take power away from the driver, but manage the power to different wheels etc to keep the car on the road. I see a lot of Lambo videos where the driver snap oversteers and spins or looses control. I wouldn't doubt that the traction control taking the power away from the driver has a lot to do with the spins in the first place. Counter steering a slide without throttle response doesn't do a whole lot of good. I would imagine a Murcie in RWD without traction control would actually be a pretty managable car. The traction control system is so bad that if you drive the car to the limits, it isn't going to correct anything anyways. Sadly it just takes away your ability as a driver to feather the throttle and get out of a hairy situation.

Ok, so then your IN! Tell Nick you want one of the setups (I'm first on the list) and we'll get the group buy pricing.

BTW, is there a way to FULL time DEFEAT the TCS? I'd hate to get in the car and forget to turn it off, best to just have it off all the time. I'm guessing it can be 'tuned' out ?

I have a 03 and this is tempting....

Just do it, its only money. And I hear you can't put a price on fun :)

IF you did it, along with MegaMan we'd have the 3 we need to save about a hundo on the deal.

Ok, so then your IN! Tell Nick you want one of the setups (I'm first on the list) and we'll get the group buy pricing.

BTW, is there a way to FULL time DEFEAT the TCS? I'd hate to get in the car and forget to turn it off, best to just have it off all the time. I'm guessing it can be 'tuned' out ?

I've installed a traction control module in my 07 lp640 after the 2wd conversion. It memories the last setting on the TCS button before you pull the key out. www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4

I've installed a traction control module in my 07 lp640 after the 2wd conversion. It memories the last setting on the TCS button before you pull the key out. www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4

Slick! I like it! Seems simple enough, and certainly very inexpensive. For a minute I thought you actually installed a different traction control, but effectively its a traction control MEMORY module. Cool thanks for sharing.

Curious, what happens/how does the car behave when TCS kicks-in when you are spinning tires in 2WD mode? Does it cause an imbalance or a panic situation? Given that it cuts power immediately what does that feel like in the 2wd mode when it activates? Unstable? skittish?

Yesterday was high 80's here, I went WOT, from a roll in 1st gear and had no wheel spin.

This is when it was about 60 out and I went WOT, from a roll in 1st. My girlfriend is at the beginning of the marks.

9df3f1c5.jpg

f219e44e.jpg

The PZEROs suck, I cannot wait for them to wear out and get some PS2's on the car. The PS2's will definitely give more traction.

Nick

The PZEROs suck, I cannot wait for them to wear out and get some PS2's on the car. The PS2's will definitely give more traction.

Nick

Ha, I was soooo going to say, that one of the advantages you forgot to mention is that if you are stuck with those crappy pzeros on your car, then this is a great mod to help get rid of them quicker (at least the rears).

Excited to do this, just need the other two guys to confirm, so we have our large 3 person group buy :)

Here's my car with the RWD conversion...

Best mod you can do to the car.

Uh, the first part of the video was way cool. The rest.. well I couldnt bring myself to finish. Hope thats not you rappin ;-) Guy looks like a young Arsinol Hall at least. As much as I love the murci, watching two guys just rapping in front of it, does nothing for me. Get back to burning the tires.

So who else, besides me, is in on this infinitesimal 3 person group buy ? :)

I need this already, before summer is up! Anyone living in Chicago land, wanting to do this on my 2 car lift can join me :)

Jon

• 2 months later...

I finally made the jump to RWD. My front diff started having issues and my CV joints were going bad so it wasn't a hard decision, but man am I glad I did it.

Anyone out there that has an AWD Lambo should really consider doing this. D Wiggs and Whiteout consistantly talk about this and say it is the best upgrade you can do to these cars. I am here to agree with them.

If you are thinking of doing it, but can't bare the thought of taking out $15000 of equipment in the car, just think of it like this. Taking out the crappy front wheel drive systemt is like adding $30000 worth of upgrades to the car for a minimal amount of $.

It is a win win win all the way around. The feel of the car alone has changed so dramatically. The car feels 500lbs lighter. Throttle response is better, clutch engagement is better, steering feedback and steering input are better and more precise. This car should have never came with AWD imo.

Special thanks to Whiteout who helped me with a ton of different things, a million questions, and became a friend over the phone instantly. While my car was on the lift I had my mechanic change the brake fluid as well. Whiteout's blog really helped save my tech time and me money. Thanks Whiteout! http://lambodiy.blogspot.com/