RWD Conversion

megachad

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah yes, I forgot to mention I too had help from Whiteout and his parts are amazing.

Got his PM. I have a pretty well equipped garage. Lift, impact wrenches etc.. so hopefully I can pull it off on my own.

Have you been pretty happy with the change?

Got his PM. I have a pretty well equipped garage. Lift, impact wrenches etc.. so hopefully I can pull it off on my own.

Have you been pretty happy with the change?

Happy is an understatement. I kid you not, it is the best thing you can do. The car awakens. :eek3dance:

Sweet.. You'll love it. I am currently trying to find someone to trust to lower the height a little and align here in Utah. If I find I'll post.

Yes, those are 19s all the way around and they stay within the TCS parameters!

D. Wiggs, do you mean that you're running: 265/30/19 front, 345/30/20 rear and they do NOT throw TCS off at all? May I know what kind of tires you're running?

D. Wiggs, do you mean that you're running: 265/30/19 front, 345/30/20 rear and they do NOT throw TCS off at all? May I know what kind of tires you're running?

265/30/19 front and 345/30/19s (hence my 19s all the way around comment). They are Super Sports! :icon_thumleft:

265/30/19 front and 345/30/19s (hence my 19s all the way around comment). They are Super Sports! :icon_thumleft:

Must admit I'm surprised that it doesn't trigger the traction control warning...

Agree 100%.

Also agree 100%

I converted my Diablo roadster to RWD after driving my Murcie with RWD

No way would I ever go back.

Funny misconception some have is....that you do the conversion so you can drift it or get it all loose in the corners.

Not the case for most ....it turns easier, it shifts easier and saves the clutch. I also lost vibration and noise too.

It handles so much better and lightens up the steering also.

Of course this is all just my humble opinion.

I did save all the parts and it can all be put back to AWD in just a few hours....if the next owner wants it stock again.

Ahh, I though you wrote AWD (skimming the thread).

TC doesn't care about the different sizes in tires, or AWD/2WD, it cares about slip.

But isn't true that when you're fitted w/ wrong sizes of tires, the traction control will then mistakenly think that you're slipping hence activate the power cut-off?

But isn't true that when you're fitted w/ wrong sizes of tires, the traction control will then mistakenly think that you're slipping hence activate the power cut-off?

I think I recall Wiggs saying it does.. Or at least the stupid thing will kick in even easier than it already does. Solution if you understand how to put the power down... turn off TCS everytime you get into car.. It's junk anyways. :icon_thumleft:

• 4 weeks later...

I did the conversion on my 94 Diablo when I had it.. it made a BIG difference on the feel of the car, felt less sluggish and didn't fight you when making a tight turn. Took out the usual stuff, then put the SV axle pins in.

On the Murci, the car felt better and had more power... so the awd cons were not as noticeable, so I never changed it. (perhaps I am missing a whole new world, but I don't think the Murci suffers as bad from it)

Regarding my mods, my two top favorites were the MACarbon steering wheel, and the LOC exhaust. (the oem steering wheel is junk compared to the macarbon replacement, and the stock exhaust is way too heavy)

I did the conversion on my 94 Diablo when I had it.. it make a BIG difference on the feel of the car, felt less sluggish and didn't fight you when making a tight turn. Took out the usual stuff, then put the SV axle pins in.

On the Murci, the car felt better and had more power... so the awd cons were not as noticeable, so I never changed it. (perhaps I am missing a whole new world, but I don't think the Murci suffers as bad from it)

In what it seems all the guys say, I wouldn't doubt the Murci suffers more. If it is a percentage of power, then a more powerful car will have a higher percentage of effect.

I'll say... Its not THAT great. lol. Seriously. I've done it, and I'm entertaining the ideal of putting it back. For a few reasons, this mod is probably much better on NON Egear cars. The problem with Egear cars is that you cant modulate the clutch enough to release quickly or slowly based on need. The egear tries to do it, and it tries to do it with the only knowledge it has that its an AWD car. So there IS some herky-jerky or unnecessary clutch slipping with 2wd with egear cars. Also in the rain, or cold weather, the traction is noticeably reduced, and so its less fun. However, during the summer with hot pavement and warm tires, its much better. I am one of those rare types that actually like driving my cars as much as possible, so cold weather wouldnt stop me from getting the murci out, much like snow doesnt stop me from getting the GTR out.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if my car was 'stick'

just keep that in mind if your an E-gear owner.

I'll say... Its not THAT great. lol. Seriously. I've done it, and I'm entertaining the ideal of putting it back. For a few reasons, this mod is probably much better on NON Egear cars. The problem with Egear cars is that you cant modulate the clutch enough to release quickly or slowly based on need. The egear tries to do it, and it tries to do it with the only knowledge it has that its an AWD car. So there IS some herky-jerky or unnecessary clutch slipping with 2wd with egear cars. Also in the rain, or cold weather, the traction is noticeably reduced, and so its less fun. However, during the summer with hot pavement and warm tires, its much better. I am one of those rare types that actually like driving my cars as much as possible, so cold weather wouldnt stop me from getting the murci out, much like snow doesnt stop me from getting the GTR out.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if my car was 'stick'

just keep that in mind if your an E-gear owner.

Does it make any difference in "sport" mode for the egear shifts?

Does it make any difference in "sport" mode for the egear shifts?

I would highly advise against that. Think about it, RWD pretty much requires you to turn TCS off, because otherwise you spin easily and the system instantly cuts down on the fun, so if ON TOP of that you put it in SPORT mode.... then your 1 brief mistake away from doing a 4,500 clutch dump.

Remember, TCS OFF, AND SPORT mode, means if you EVER go WOT from a DEAD stop, your car is going to do a 4500 clutch dump. (talking EGEAR only of course). I leave sport mode off. Sorry.

Jon