RWD Conversion

megachad

I'll say... Its not THAT great. lol. Seriously. I've done it, and I'm entertaining the ideal of putting it back. For a few reasons, this mod is probably much better on NON Egear cars. The problem with Egear cars is that you cant modulate the clutch enough to release quickly or slowly based on need. The egear tries to do it, and it tries to do it with the only knowledge it has that its an AWD car. So there IS some herky-jerky or unnecessary clutch slipping with 2wd with egear cars. Also in the rain, or cold weather, the traction is noticeably reduced, and so its less fun. However, during the summer with hot pavement and warm tires, its much better. I am one of those rare types that actually like driving my cars as much as possible, so cold weather wouldnt stop me from getting the murci out, much like snow doesnt stop me from getting the GTR out.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if my car was 'stick'

just keep that in mind if your an E-gear owner.

Makes perfectly good sence.. Being I am manual i love it.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Modifying a car (in any aspect) has its ups and downs. Hence the reason that many manufacturers void warranties for 'modded' cars. Changing out the driveline is no different. However, swapping a Diablo VT/Murci to RWD is basically the same thing as an early Diablo or Diablo SV; the chassis is fine with the swap because it's designed to be RWD. The Gallardo/LP560/LP570/R8 swap is the same as an LP550, again the chassis can handle the conversion. I don't think that there would be a major concern on insurance based on the swap any more than doing an exhaust; swapping to larger wheels; or running a sticky tire.

With that said, it's obvious that an AWD car is going to have more traction than a 2WD car. In lower temperatures the tires have low grip, which makes the rear tires more likely to spin and the front tires less likely to grip for counter-steer. This is a common death for Vipers, and cars running summer tires in cold temperatures.

I'm sorry to hear of your friend and I hope that he is okey. A car is replaceable (even rare ones), people are not.

Just curious what the legal ramifications are of a aftermarket automotive shop recommending this procedure. Just this weekend I had a friend who had a 08 Murcielago that was converted. Needless to say the car is now toast. The main reason due to Extreme Reduced traction as it was rearwheel drive only. He was accelerating along approximately 35 mph. As he change lanes from the left lane to the right lane he noticed a driver coming up quickly so he accelerated, the next thing he knew the car was in a spin and slammed up against the curb which then made the car go airborne and he ended up hitting a fence. So if someone recommends you do this and there are insurance issues revolving around this situation and the car is now totaled, who is legally responsible for that alteration?

I can get my lawyer buddy to weigh in, however, if they did it with your DIRECTION (as the owner of the car, not talking directly to you Scotty), you (the owner) own the outcome. Only chance in hell you have, is if someone converted it to RWD, without telling or asking you. There is nothing illegal about doing a conversion to RWD, just like moddifying your car for more power. Do you blame the modification company that gave you more power, if you got a speeding ticket for going faster in less time? Or if you wreck your car?

Vipers have a lot more power and TQ then most Murci's do, and they are RWD and until this year, never had Traction control/active handling... so I think your buddies looking for someone to blame, he should look in the mirror.

Im guessing your friend was in the matte black roadster thats already been posted on wrecked exotics...

Have not seen that.

If he swerved to miss a car, and hit the accelerator at the same time, I don't care what rear wheel drive car he was in.. Same outcome.. Hell even awd might not have saved him..

It would be a good idea for anyone owning a car like this to get some professional instruction from a race track instructor.. I am not saying he doesn't know how to drive, but some of the fundamentals are sooooo much more important in a car with a ton of power.. The problems that can occur are exponentially increased with power.. Like not having the wheel straight when hitting the accelerator for example.. Big No No.. One of the first things you learn when driving a road course.. The further you have the wheel open, the more input you can give to the accelerator.. Same goes for braking... Get all your braking done in a straight line, if trail braking is required it can work as long as you didn't pop off the brake turn and then back on.. that will send you into a spin from weight transfer.. Etc. etc...

Hope your friend is ok.. Too bad about the car.

From Jalopnik:

MEANWHILE! IN OHIO! A Lamborghini Murciélago was trying to impress his Porsche Cayman S pal with a burnout round a corner at a busy intersection....

554850_10151335747602331_835393072_n.jpg

• 4 months later...

i´ve done this too and i can say, is the best thing who you can do with a Murcie.

completly a other car. the facotry had bouild the car from begin so, thats fact.

the only little zorro about this, is the german TÜV. I don´t know, if they tolerant the

conversion.

I just did this to my murcie...I will say that if you don't have a lift, it's going to take more than 3-5 hours. Also, the top two bolts that hold the torque tube to the front of the transmission, requires either some fairy dust or a minature hulk with a kung fu grip to get out cause they are a BITCH, especially laying under the car on a garage floor. I solved this problem with a 6" long 1/4" drive 6mm allen head socket from Sears, make sure it has the rounded edges as you'll never get it in there straight...add 2 mid length extensions and you've got just enough space to break em loose and rip that torque tube out of there.

I went the destroy your half shafts route to use the factory axle spline. I suspect both ways are equally as easy to install because once you break the half shafts loose they come out easily...Note to everyone and anyone doing this...break the axle bolt loose BEFORE you raise the car...this is the 36mm bolt...remember...BEFORE you raise the car.

Past that, it's all pretty simple and straight forward, the drivers side differential bolt is a pain in the ass to get a wrench on, but once you do it's two bolts and watch your head...lol...multiple low profile hydraulic jacks are helpful for the garage DIY guy.

Drove the car briefly and it's immediately apparent it is a BETTER animal. Feels like it should. Going to get some more miles in on it and see how much more I like it. No dash lights, no error codes, just pure fun.

Thanks to Nick (whiteout), Dwiggs, and Josh (lambo tech) for the pointers when I was about to take a torch to the torque tube!

I just did this to my murcie...I will say that if you don't have a lift, it's going to take more than 3-5 hours. Also, the top two bolts that hold the torque tube to the front of the transmission, requires either some fairy dust or a minature hulk with a kung fu grip to get out cause they are a BITCH, especially laying under the car on a garage floor. I solved this problem with a 6" long 1/4" drive 6mm allen head socket from Sears, make sure it has the rounded edges as you'll never get it in there straight...add 2 mid length extensions and you've got just enough space to break em loose and rip that torque tube out of there.

I went the destroy your half shafts route to use the factory axle spline. I suspect both ways are equally as easy to install because once you break the half shafts loose they come out easily...Note to everyone and anyone doing this...break the axle bolt loose BEFORE you raise the car...this is the 36mm bolt...remember...BEFORE you raise the car.

Past that, it's all pretty simple and straight forward, the drivers side differential bolt is a pain in the ass to get a wrench on, but once you do it's two bolts and watch your head...lol...multiple low profile hydraulic jacks are helpful for the garage DIY guy.

Drove the car briefly and it's immediately apparent it is a BETTER animal. Feels like it should. Going to get some more miles in on it and see how much more I like it. No dash lights, no error codes, just pure fun.

Thanks to Nick (whiteout), Dwiggs, and Josh (lambo tech) for the pointers when I was about to take a torch to the torque tube!

Glad you got it all done. It truly transforms the car.

I don't know, I like that hunkered down glue to the pavement feel you get with 4wd. Its part of the cars character, if I wanted that floating feel I would have bought a Ferrari.

I don't know, I like that hunkered down glue to the pavement feel you get with 4wd. Its part of the cars character, if I wanted that floating feel I would have bought a Ferrari.

Have you ever driven one without the AWD? I haven't 1 time felt less hunkered down. I have done 165mph and feels great. Going around corners actually feels way better to me. I feel like I can actually tell what the car is doing. I feel more in control not less.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never put AWD back into my car.

Have you ever driven one without the AWD? I haven't 1 time felt less hunkered down. I have done 165mph and feels great. Going around corners actually feels way better to me. I feel like I can actually tell what the car is doing. I feel more in control not less.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never put AWD back into my car.

No I haven't, but I would imagine it makes the car tail happy.

No I haven't, but I would imagine it makes the car tail happy.

Not in the least.. seriously the tail isn't any more happy than as awd... unless you popped the clutch at hi rpms and turned the wheel.. or turn the wheel sharply and floor it in any gear, then it could be a little different, however at least as RWD you could possibly control yourself out of it with feathering the throttle and steering input.. AWD once you lose traction in the rear in a corner its coming all the way around on you no matter what.

Going RWD does not change the feeling of the car being planted. However, it makes the car handle more neutral in turns vs. understeer.

Then by converting to RWD you can buy some r-compound tires (no worries about frying center diff) and the car will be far more "planted"

Converting the car to RWD is the best mod for the Murci. The Murci's AWD system is almost never used in any situation and, like was stated, if you do lose traction, you're much more likely to catch it in RWD than with AWD. I'd bet no one would ever know that the car was different under most driving conditions.

LOL at the liability question!!

Are there any parts you had to buy going this route? (breaking the half shafts)

Are there any parts you had to buy going this route? (breaking the half shafts)

I only had to buy the allen socket, bought a whole group of them from 4mm to 12mm for 49.00. Other than that, since I had no intention of putting my half shafts back in, it didn't bother me in the least to destroy the bearing housing on the inside to get it apart. Naturally if you have access to a press, you can actually take the shafts apart without doing much damage, there is no retaining clip on the inside of these like normal cv joints, they're press fit. It was just way easier for me and less time consuming to spend 15 minutes with a cutting wheel on a air dremmel tool and removing the bearings/braces that way, being careful not to damage the spline or spline housing of course.

The differential is heavy, so make sure you have some jacks handy, makes it easier to lower down. So for a day of my time and 50 bucks for a tool...well worth it to me.

Don't forget about the wonderful machined part that Whiteout sales that covers the shaft after the removal of the torque tube. Excellent part!