RWD Conversion

megachad

Sorry for bringing up an old thread - have any other egear owners done this? I'm very tempted now but I can totally understand that there's probably a difference in feel between manual and egear.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for bringing up an old thread - have any other egear owners done this? I'm very tempted now but I can totally understand that there's probably a difference in feel between manual and egear.

Look for comments by me on this topic, I've spoke in other threads on it, I have an egear car thats RWD.

Look for comments by me on this topic, I've spoke in other threads on it, I have an egear car thats RWD.

Haha Thanks Jon, I had seen your posts earlier and that's what made me nervous! Are you still enjoying the RWD or would you rather put it back to stock? My biggest concern is just having the car be harder to control if I do the switch. Not trying to go in launch mode at every stop light!

Haha Thanks Jon, I had seen your posts earlier and that's what made me nervous! Are you still enjoying the RWD or would you rather put it back to stock? My biggest concern is just having the car be harder to control if I do the switch. Not trying to go in launch mode at every stop light!

I think everyone who is 'all pro and no cons' haven't done it to a Egear car. I don't let my love for the car out weigh my sensibility and honesty, the Egear conversion to RWD is likely the 'least worthwhile' of the cars, BUT I still love it, and still would do it again.

The problem is, a stick car, you just relearn the touch points and your on and off engagement speeds, the Egear unfortunately doesn't have human learning capabilities, and it still drives it like a AWD car, which can lead to 'rocking' a bit at low speed. honestly I only ever have disappointment in the RWD part when I am in 1st or 2nd and just puttering around. If I am on the highway, or RIPPING it through the gears, the RWD conversion is perfection. It just doesn't like civilized driving so much in 1st and 2nd sometimes when it comes to engaging the clutch. Take offs are great though, so again its only when moving moderately in 1st and second. WOT it has no problems with.

Like I said, its something I have not reverted back to stock, because I enjoy it, but if I had to sell the car, I would likely put it back to stock to avoid any drama of the perspective buyer thinking there is something wrong with the car with its occasional jerkiness. (it doesn't do this when AWD). The conversion back to stock is easy enough to do, so I don't sweat it.

• 4 months later...

With all of the people praising this mod, how many were egear and how many were stick? Sounds like many were stick. Is this mod worth it for Egear?

thanks

With all of the people praising this mod, how many were egear and how many were stick? Sounds like many were stick. Is this mod worth it for Egear?

thanks

If you do a lot of city driving it sounds like it is kind of hard to drive slow and start and stopping.. If you don't, then it sounds like it is still worth it.. At least from all that I have read.. I would do it in a heart beat either way.

I have done it to both and it's even better with E-gear because of the fact the computer is controlling engagements instead of your left foot. Much more noticeable with E-gear and will save your clutch BIG TIME.

• 1 month later...

With all of this being said, does anyone have photos from underneath of this conversion? I might tackle this next weekend.

Hi Guys ,

I converted my Lp640 to rwd ,

When I drive it harder , i hear some sounds from the

back side , I think the trans. moves and hits somewhere ,

Do you have such problem with yours ?

I think just becouse we pull the shaft from the differantial

and it's now with no support , do you think do I have to fix it anywhere for making it rigid ?

So do I post it here, or do I start my own thread? I feel like it belongs here, but might be less 'pooping on Whiteouts new investment' if I did my own thread.

But here goes, and if I should move it elsewhere I will.

I have really hesistated and gone back and forth if I should post this, because going against the 'new hotness' sometimes gets you flammed. But here is my experience and you can take it for what its worth, coming from a guy who has been RWD for what, nearly 2 years? There are pros and cons, and now that I am back to AWD. I think I am in a better position to discuss, since the 'placibo effect' is not an issue (AWD, to RWD and back to AWD).

Pro:

*I have no direct data to support this, but everything I know tells me that it saves clutch life, especially in an Egear car.

*When you are ROLLING, say 100 mph+ its got more 'legs' then the AWD setup.

*If you like white knuck driving, turn off TCS, put it in sport mode, and roll this bitch hard, and you'll be sliding and fish tailing like a champ. If you have ever owned a Dodge Viper, you will LOVE this mode, I felt like I was finally home after doing this.

* Sun days, hot tires, who needs AWD!

Con:

*Its choppy, the Egear doesnt know that you went to RWD and its expecting to lug the AWD system so its a little more hurky jerky when its throwing the power to just the rear wheels.

*From a Dig, your going to spin if you floor it, AWD will hook and go.

*You MUST turn off TCS, otherwise, expect your car to be 'shut down' by traction control system CONSTANTLY. So if you like the safety net of TCS, forget it in this setup, out the window. Because with it on, the car is worthless.

*Rain, yes, we do get caught in it sometime, F THAT, you will be no where near as quick as you would be in AWD. Just this weekend, I rolled up on a Ferrari california in the rain, and made short work of him on the high way, he wasnt able to get the power down like i could.

* Braking, you take a hit, I dont give a SHIT what anyone else says, if you have CCBs (ceramics), and you have the ability to overwhelm the front tires with claming force, you WILL feel ABS kicking in a LOT more, becuase its missing that extra 100lbs of front end helf that helps the front wheels have more 'down force' My GTR used to brake better then my Murci in panic situations (people cut me off all the time), but now with the front differential back in, its indescribably how amazing my murci stops. Thats still on 2006 oem Rubber. (have stock wheels and tires back on the car currently).

* Putting the power down in a turn, and TCS off, is the car telling you 'hey you got this, good luck' and the rear is going to slide if your rolling hard on the power, its 'exciting' but its not quicker, exit speed is better with AWD.

So I know whiteout created all those sweet ass titanium conversion stub axles, and I do not want this to come across as any type of opposition to that. I've avoided writing this, becasue I actually have a good working relationship with Whiteout, and I didn't want to affect his 'sales' for those awesome parts. So please do what you like, I support whiteout completely, after all, he is who I went to when I did my RWD conversion, and he was awesome. I am giving you one guys perspective on what it was like to BE AWD, then go RWD and then back to AWD.

The true downside to AWD, is I know I pay the price with having sooner clutch replacements :( Otherwise I am far more fan of it now, then RWD.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your input because it is not biased and does give first hand experience to the e-gear people.

As far as braking, I'm used to non-CCB 4 piston Brembos. So I noticed better braking with less weight, but my cars have nowhere near the stopping power of yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember doing the RWD conversion on my 03 Murcie. You can right away feel the difference in straight line acceleration. I remember racing my friends 05 Murcie e gear and I managed to pull a 1-2 car lengths ahead of him in just over 400-500 meters. We pulled from first gear. Everything was good only every time I floored it, the car would nudge slight to the left for that brief instance when flooring it, according to my techs, its the characteristics of the Murcie? Can anyone confirm this?

Nonetheless I put it back to AWD after month due to insurance reasons. In Singapore the insurance companies will got ro any excuse just not to do a payout and to them, a mod is a mod and thats illegal.

I had my car lowered coz after all that weight removed the front was noticeably higher and set the suspension geometry settings just like the Diablo SV.

So does it effect handling? Nick's parts are the only reason I started considering this. Dropping what 300lbs. Is a huge gain. I don't want to sacrifice my car doing so obviously.

When I was a stupid kid I bought the wrong tires for my Porsche 944 and that resulted in the car getting totaled.

I just got my car so I'm still pretty cautious with it but as I drive it more I'll loosen up.

So does it effect handling? Nick's parts are the only reason I started considering this. Dropping what 300lbs. Is a huge gain. I don't want to sacrifice my car doing so obviously.

When I was a stupid kid I bought the wrong tires for my Porsche 944 and that resulted in the car getting totaled.

I just got my car so I'm still pretty cautious with it but as I drive it more I'll loosen up.

I've been saying this for 9 years now. It's THE BEST mod you can do to a Murci. RWD and exhaust saves you 300 pounds and picks up over 10% power to the wheels. I went from 433AWHP to 525RWHP after a new clutch and tuning.

The Murci was always meant to be RWD and loves being RWD. It's so much better to drive and so much easier to control at the limit.

Just set the car up to Diablo SV spec and lower it 3/4" in the front to compensate for the weight loss.

Oh, and Raj....you're welcome! :icon_mrgreen:

I've been watching RWD conversion topics for years and the consensus seems to be that it's great initially but most go back to AWD after the honeymoon period is finished, various reasons are quoted, still interesting to see.

I've been saying this for 9 years now. It's THE BEST mod you can do to a Murci. RWD and exhaust saves you 300 pounds and picks up over 10% power to the wheels. I went from 433AWHP to 525RWHP after a new clutch and tuning.

The Murci was always meant to be RWD and loves being RWD. It's so much better to drive and so much easier to control at the limit.

Just set the car up to Diablo SV spec and lower it 3/4" in the front to compensate for the weight loss.

:iamwithstupid:

I've been watching RWD conversion topics for years and the consensus seems to be that it's great initially but most go back to AWD after the honeymoon period is finished, various reasons are quoted, still interesting to see.

I haven't seen anyone IN A MURCI go back to AWD, have you? I wouldn't go back to THAT AWD for anything; especially with the power my car is making.

So question. There was the black wrapped one your shop did the conversion on that ended up Totalled soon after. Was the change to 2wd the reason?

I don't like much AWD.....

A RWD Murcie must be perfekt. But......

For few weeks a go, in Gemany was a deadly Murcie accident. The diver lost the control over the car on a straight highway. Speed was about 200km/h....

After investigation of the car, the expert say that the convertion to RWD makes a overloading of the drive shaft...

It was a technical malfunction.

I can' belive that the drive shaft are so weak...

I haven't seen anyone IN A MURCI go back to AWD, have you? I wouldn't go back to THAT AWD for anything; especially with the power my car is making.

Why would I say it if I didn't see it here? :icon_mrgreen: I will try to remember the screen names and do some search when I have a bit of time.