Modern day future classics thread.

Robster Craws

This thread is for everyone to discuss what current cars or recent cars that have been built you believe in the future...20-30 years from now will be looked at as classics and will have their value potentially multiplied many times the amount they were when they were new or are currently.

The same way that for example a $15,000 Ferrari California 250 GTO now goes for $15Mil +

For me the Porsche Carrera GT is a car that can be bought for $350k now but based on it having 1200 total cars built,beautiful design and incredible construction & the fact it's the last all motor,gated shifter supercar Porsche has built before they have started implementing things like KERS and paddle shifted trans...in the future I think it will be remembered as a classic and will be in high demand.

Red-Carrera-7-a.jpg

I also think the Aston Martin V12 Zagato will be a rarity that collectors will want many years in the future. Low number built by a small,well known boutique builder.

aston-martin-v12-zagato-monterey.jpg

$450k now...who knows,maybe many millions decades from now.

How about you?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that given the production numbers of cars today vs the 50s and 60s we won't see quite the same appreciation that we've seen so far.

However, I do think they will go up a nice amount, the few lucky ones. Carrera GT is a good choice. I think the Ford GT will be worth a lot too.

Lamborghini probably nothing post Diablo. Ferrari, the super cars will always be worth something. The 288 and 599 GTO will probably be worth a ton.

Those might be the mega cars. It's possible cars like the Urracco, 3x8, Espada, Testarossa, etc. might be worth a lot more than they are today if the production numbers keep growing at the rate they are.

2011-ferrari-599-gto-2_800x0w.jpg

I'll throw the 599 GTO into the mix. Low production numbers, coveted badge, good looks, monstrously fast, the lot.

You're forgetting the most important part: the SOUND.

Without that it's just a very fast 599.

I think unmolested versions of the Integra Type R and the Mk IV Supra will undoubtedly appreciate in 20+ years.

They were the "it" cars to have during the soup-up-car-scene that the Gen Y-ers grew up with.

1997-Acura-Integra-Type-R.jpg

130_0904_10_z%20integra_type_r%20side_passenger.jpg

IMO production numbers of modern cars are just too high for them to realize the kinds of gains in value that your talking about.

Not only that, but the amount of electronics in modern cars will make them impossible to "restore" down the road. I think the rawest of road cars with the lowest numbers will remain the classics....

IMO production numbers of modern cars are just too high for them to realize the kinds of gains in value that your talking about.

You're most likely correct. Even the Carrera GT I mentioned at 1200 is still crazy compared to a classic Ferrari at maybe 30 or 40

:iamwithstupid:

I still think the 98' viper gets-r will be worth some money down the road. Only 100 made to commemorate the alms gt2 championship domination.

No, awful car.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, these cars may have not been the best performers but they were lookers for sure. It may not be $1mil+ in 20-30 years but I do see them $250k+ in 30 years.

What about an Alfa-Romeo 8C, it has the looks and limited production numbers.

The McLaren F1 will continue to go up in value. So will super hyper cars like the Veyron SS or anything with extremely limited production numbers that is met with high demand. The 250 GTO didn't always use to be as absurdly expensive as it is today- high demand (a ressurection of boyhood dreams perhaps) could even drive up the price of cars like the Diablo or Countach. Needless to say, high production numbers are not the friend of collectors. But then again, buying a car to collect it is a death wish. Those guys with '93 maroon Corvettes in automatic with delivery miles?! No thanks.

i have the same train of thought. but on the other hand, there are more people in the world today than yesterday and more people that can afford expensive rides, hence the demand might be able to offset the rise in supply and thus still increase the value of the vehicles.

Those saying about electrics and production numbers, these are ever increasing, generations ago were commenting on cars being produced then that would not be classics because of the technology and the production numbers.

A fine list. I'd also like to add the BMW E46 M3 (particalrly a clean CSL) and this guy:

Mercedes-Benz-CLK_DTM_AMG_2004_1024x768_wallpaper_03.jpg

The Mercedes CLK-DTM. A not-so-road legal race car with only 100 Coupes and 100 Convertibles built. This car will certainly fetch a nice premium in the years to come.

GT3 RS 4.0

Aside from Pagani, this was my first thought too. Also I'm inclined to say the mid 90's Maserati Ghibli / Ghibli Cup, it's cheap now but it's a really fun car and has been steadily increasing in value especially the latter variant, and maybe the 2006-2007 Bentley Brooklands.

Oh and I almost forgot, the Morgan Aeromax. It has all the qualities, only 100 ever produced, and it's certainly unique in today's world.

Diablo 6.0

Low numbers, like 130-160 us) and simple and easy to work on and not filled with computers than will be ancient soon.

If this and the cgt sky rocket, I might be rich some day :-)

Diablo 6.0

Low numbers, like 130-160 us) and simple and easy to work on and not filled with computers than will be ancient soon.

If this and the cgt sky rocket, I might be rich some day :-)

I wish I could agree with you here but I don't. The 6.0 is simply a diablo variant of which thousands were built so IMO, no dice. And the cgt? Way too many built. In order for the cars to go up the way rob has suggested I think they'll need to have some sort of race history as well as production numbers perhaps in the hundreds or less.