Adderall?

Robster Craws

I was on ritalin all through college and for a couple years after. Stopped it after a while as I didnt feel the mood highs and lows were a particularly healthy thing I do think it helped though with my ADHD which i still ahve issues with. But I really dont trust the stuff.

And I cant tell you how many times I experienced the anger related to interrupting concetration as Mike said. Its one of the most aggravating things in the world.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving this thread like it's Nikki Sixx (without the snorting)

I'm a crossroads in my personal life and going to go out on a limb and share this all with LP because fcuk it, life is too short.

As some of you may know I've been struggling to get my business started and get in shape for several years. I graduated college, have been through several family crises, had my fair share of relationship woes, and generally have felt like I've been trying to lift off the ground/break through the wall so to speak many times over.

As a kid I was diagnosed with ADD and given Ritalin/Adderall as well as Zoloft. I was fighting losing several close family members as well as just generally not giving a fcuk in school. I always tested high in everything but math, considered myself a smart kid, but just felt school was a waste of time. On Ritalin/Zoloft I always felt like a machine - I was doing well in school but crashed a lot feeling depressed as well as just "not myself." I think I was too fcuking young to be on the shit plus overweight/not exercising.

Now at 27, I feel like the years have flown by and I don't know where they went (or what I did). I keep going back to "It's been X number of years since I wanted to get my business started and X number of years (too fcuking many) since I've wanted to get in shape." Those two things permeate anything else I've been through and dominate my thoughts. I have had some great times and some real bursts of inspiration or motivation, followed by just a lull that just couldn't be shaken. I have a ton of ideas, feel the desire to get out and do shit, but then just lack the clarity or drive some days. Recently, I lost several pounds and am back on track to losing weight and eating healthy (thanks in part to some help on here as well as kettlebells). I have always felt my best though when I was either at my healthiest (for that time) or when I was well-rested, nourished, and had just worked out.

Sorry for the mini life story, but I know there are a lot of no BS, successful people on here who surely have either been through this or can spot my troubles from a mile away and figure out what the fcuk is going on. I'm in the process of self-diagnosing as ADD/ADHD and also in the process of finding a doctor to either prescribe some meds or work though my issues.

Edit to add link: I found this in a rampage Google search to self-diagnose and was truly frightened how I checked every single one of these. Check it out: http://www.simplywellbeing.com/20-questions-are-you-add-adhd

Is that ADHD or normal? I made similar excuses until I made firm decisions. In business we'll I have a primary business that keeps me very busy aside from not starting another business I made investment goals and met them. For exercise I saw other people getting in shape and so I stopped making excuses and got in shape.

Here's the only roadblock I found in the past, trying to reach goals too fast. I used to start day one trying to workout to where I hated it and inevitably quit. The. I decided this time to start slow and ramp up. It worked much better. I've been working out over 2 years straight now and really enjoy it. I'm in great physical shape and feel great because of it.

My advice, if others can do it you can to. Don't make excuses.

The biggest problem people have with getting in shape is the commitment. That first time you're not feeling like going to the gym, GO. Fight that urge and make it a habit. Same with dieting. I know those sounds stupid but there was a Jim Carrey movie a while back called Yes Man, and while it was a movie and a comedy, that really resonated with me to stop with the "no, I dont want to work out", etc. Start doing new stuff!

I've tried adderall about a handful of times. Since I don't have add, it makes my angry, irritable and completely unfocused. It's amazing how things affect different people so drastically.

Reviving this thread like it's Nikki Sixx (without the snorting)

I'm a crossroads in my personal life and going to go out on a limb and share this all with LP because fcuk it, life is too short.

As some of you may know I've been struggling to get my business started and get in shape for several years. I graduated college, have been through several family crises, had my fair share of relationship woes, and generally have felt like I've been trying to lift off the ground/break through the wall so to speak many times over.

As a kid I was diagnosed with ADD and given Ritalin/Adderall as well as Zoloft. I was fighting losing several close family members as well as just generally not giving a fcuk in school. I always tested high in everything but math, considered myself a smart kid, but just felt school was a waste of time. On Ritalin/Zoloft I always felt like a machine - I was doing well in school but crashed a lot feeling depressed as well as just "not myself." I think I was too fcuking young to be on the shit plus overweight/not exercising.

Now at 27, I feel like the years have flown by and I don't know where they went (or what I did). I keep going back to "It's been X number of years since I wanted to get my business started and X number of years (too fcuking many) since I've wanted to get in shape." Those two things permeate anything else I've been through and dominate my thoughts. I have had some great times and some real bursts of inspiration or motivation, followed by just a lull that just couldn't be shaken. I have a ton of ideas, feel the desire to get out and do shit, but then just lack the clarity or drive some days. Recently, I lost several pounds and am back on track to losing weight and eating healthy (thanks in part to some help on here as well as kettlebells). I have always felt my best though when I was either at my healthiest (for that time) or when I was well-rested, nourished, and had just worked out.

Sorry for the mini life story, but I know there are a lot of no BS, successful people on here who surely have either been through this or can spot my troubles from a mile away and figure out what the fcuk is going on. I'm in the process of self-diagnosing as ADD/ADHD and also in the process of finding a doctor to either prescribe some meds or work though my issues.

Edit to add link: I found this in a rampage Google search to self-diagnose and was truly frightened how I checked every single one of these. Check it out: http://www.simplywellbeing.com/20-questions-are-you-add-adhd

I might remind you that you are 27. You are young. You have a lot of time ahead of yourself.

Don't try to set the bar so high that you drive yourself nuts because it just isn't worth it.

Trust me, I will be 51 in 4 months. I had dreams and fulfilled a good portion of them.

However I often time look back at my youth as the most happiest times in my life.

ADHD diagnoses are way too frequent these days and just the easy way out for most doctors. Write a prescription for Adderall, Ritalin or amphetamine substitutes and throw the patient out of your office as fast as you can. If possible, stay away from all mood altering medications, they fcuk you up and most of the time, the side effects outweigh the benefits.

I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but I have had a few close to me say to keep a big distance from the amphetamine drugs that you mentioned at your age. I'm not afraid to ask just because and they all told me that past early 20's that shit is bad news. They are also the type that would be super hesitant to give it to young kids.

I'm with BMWRACER, in my non-professional opinion this shit is way too over prescribed, many times to mask parents that aren't doing their job. I mean lets be honest, can you find me a single 14yr old boy that isn't antsy to go fcuk around and do ANYTHING but sit in school or do homework? That isn't ADD, it's 85% of everyone I grew up with. Teaching the discipline to do it when you don't want to is a lot harder than handing out some pills.

I'm 34 and considering going to back to grad school, believe me it will be a fcuking stretch to balance that with a relatively demanding job. I put a lot of things on hold as well due to family issues and such in my late 20's. That has passed now and I'm back on track. If it's too hard, you just don't want it bad enough yet.

Watch This

I'm with BMWRACER, in my non-professional opinion this shit is way too over prescribed, many times to mask parents that aren't doing their job. I mean lets be honest, can you find me a single 14yr old boy that isn't antsy to go fcuk around and do ANYTHING but sit in school or do homework? That isn't ADD, it's 85% of everyone I grew up with. Teaching the discipline to do it when you don't want to is a lot harder than handing out some pills.

Couldn't find a clapping hands gif, so <insert here>.

Way too many people want to blame it on something else, other than themselves!

No self accountability now-a-days, what so ever.

Major thread bump though. This is past news.

Now, holy crap, my shitty parenting is due to all the chemicals in all of our god dammed food.

Gluten free, please :D

ADHD diagnoses are way too frequent these days and just the easy way out for most doctors. Write a prescription for Adderall, Ritalin or amphetamine substitutes and throw the patient out of your office as fast as you can. If possible, stay away from all mood altering medications, they fcuk you up and most of the time, the side effects outweigh the benefits.

This.

I would definitely stay away from adderall or anything similar. I've taken it probably 10 times in my life and you feel productive on it, but over the course of a long time it's pretty damaging. My girlfriend takes it you can tell when shes not taking it because her body is depending on it. When shes not on it shes almost like a zombie. When you take it every day because you think you need it, then your body actually does need it and it takes a while to feel normal while not on it.

STAY AWAY

Will give you some real life experience on this.

About a year and a half ago, I gave Adderral another shot. I hadnt taken it since high school, so I searched around and after looking pretty hard, I finally found a doc that was willing to prescribe (I had taken it previously for ADD). Was easy to get, but it is INCREDIBLY expensive now. WITH insurance, it was almost $600 for 90 pills. I figured it would help me get focused at work and lose some weight. I did end up losing about 8-10lbs, but I figured out that the new stuff is not as good as the old stuff, and with its incredible expense, its really not worth it.

Here is another point to note: It was only really effective in small dosage, but small dosage doesnt curb your appetite or push you harder in the gym or get you to sit at your desk for 10 hours, so you generally keep upping the dosage. The side effects of higher dosage would be I would effectively work on a ton of things, and get things done, but I would miss things I normally catch when not taking the pill (which is counter productive since I work with legal documents). It also makes me spacy when speaking to people which is not good in a sales related job. I honestly feel like it also has residual effects afterwards as there are times when I should remember something quite easily, and I cant for the life of me think of it.

All in all it was counterproductive for my needs so I am off of it.

Will give you some real life experience on this.

About a year and a half ago, I gave Adderral another shot. I hadnt taken it since high school, so I searched around and after looking pretty hard, I finally found a doc that was willing to prescribe (I had taken it previously for ADD). Was easy to get, but it is INCREDIBLY expensive now. WITH insurance, it was almost $600 for 90 pills. I figured it would help me get focused at work and lose some weight. I did end up losing about 8-10lbs, but I figured out that the new stuff is not as good as the old stuff, and with its incredible expense, its really not worth it.

Here is another point to note: It was only really effective in small dosage, but small dosage doesnt curb your appetite or push you harder in the gym or get you to sit at your desk for 10 hours, so you generally keep upping the dosage. The side effects of higher dosage would be I would effectively work on a ton of things, and get things done, but I would miss things I normally catch when not taking the pill (which is counter productive since I work with legal documents). It also makes me spacy when speaking to people which is not good in a sales related job. I honestly feel like it also has residual effects afterwards as there are times when I should remember something quite easily, and I cant for the life of me think of it.

All in all it was counterproductive for my needs so I am off of it.

Typical example of one developing tolerance to a drug. Even though you haven't taken it in years, the body remembers and you end up needing higher and higher doses to get the same effect. And the rebound from Adderall is brutal, lethargy, anxiety, confusion. Nasty drug

A few years ago towards the end of some long exam preparation, I took it maybe 2 or 3 times to get the most of my last study days.

It was helpful for focus, which I needed a bit of a boost on.

Then on the day of the test (8 hours long) I popped one before walking in.

I passed, and everything was cool. Haven't taken it since, no interest in it. Was nice to use it a few times, get value out of it and not pay a price for it.

i took it once adderall,

this girl i knew who was a college girl, had a friend HOT friend, both we're hot-i had them do some modeling for the catalog i used to publish.

we became friends, the HOT friend asked me about adderall and if i took it for business so i'd have the "energy" to make $$, they had the $$ thing figured out-not me. I love roids, not pills. she gave me one pill the XL thing or something the time release one.

i put it in my pocket, got home tossed it into the top draw of the file cabinet where i kept the streoids, forgot about it.

about 2 years later the girls were long gone, one sunday morning before the gym, I was a bit tired and went to the roid drawer to get my shit-i always use sunday as day 1 for roids-they are great if they are done right. i opened the drawer and that little pill came rolling out from the back, hmmm she said it would wake me up. so i did my shots took the other pills and that pill i forgot i owned.

I get to the gym, i'm training with 2 guys, a pro bodybuilder and a plastic surgeon who is a performance enhancement drug expert for pro altheltes. I know these guys well. about 30 minutes into a hour long work out BOOOM!!!! that pill hit. WTF!?!?! i thought i was going to die. I told the doctor-whi im very close friends with what i took-he is a stoic person, he started laughing at me so hard, now i'm worried. i knew that was bad.

i go home wired out of my tree, i'm batshit crazy, cant think, talk, nothing i was going 300 mph; this is in 2002 i'd guess, my dad had a ton of meds left over from when he died a couple years prior, so i figured if i took some valuim, or xanax something it would counter act the aderall pill. I was fireing in the pills, nothing helped. i was out of my tree. I called the doctors cell, which i have only done 2 time-out of respect i go thru the ansering service. he always takes my call. fuk that no time, i call direct.

"what time did you take it?" "i told you around 9" he startes laughing at me again, "will any of theses'downers help?' " "nope enjoy the next 6 hours" click.....

he was wrong 7 hours, it was pure hell, nothing could stop that shit-how people take that and live as in stay alive is beyond me.

ive never done blow, speed, meth, hell i never smoked weed. I did pain pills cause i was in pain and stopped when i was ok.

That shit is the worst ever. in Japan all anphetmines are illegal.

sorry for the spelling,

thats my brush woith drug long version story.

Typical example of one developing tolerance to a drug. Even though you haven't taken it in years, the body remembers and you end up needing higher and higher doses to get the same effect. And the rebound from Adderall is brutal, lethargy, anxiety, confusion. Nasty drug

pain pills are the same way, once you cross that line when they stop working and your popping pills not to get dope sick-GAME OVER.

drugs are bad shit, i had lots of chemistry classes in college, 9 semisters and because i like roids i learned ton's about them. they are bad too unless you do blood work every couple weeks, and cycle on/off them with precision and under the supervision of someone who is qualified-very few doctors are they dont teach much about them in med school they are dismissed as dope. I used them for year no side effects ever.

i wouldnt take a aderall pill for anything ever again.

Eric, totally serious question. Do you consider any of your back problems as being attributed to roids? I don't mean literally the liquid caused it, but quick muscle mass changes before the supporting systems in your body could adapt?

No disrespect meant or even being a downer on roids, just genuinely interested in your thoughts on it.

I had a prescription for adderal and ritalin, never set right with me. It is amphetamine and my dr friends clowned me about it. It is a good high with some bad side effects, did not do my any good in the long term and maybe even in the short term. I probably took it about 10 times, and it was occasional. When I workout, I get a better focus mentally.

Someone started a thread a while back about mediation and I commented on it. Look it up, it is a worthwhile thread. I took the Transcendatal Meditation course that all the celebrities rave about it( lot of them do it) and it is good, very good. But no need to spend the 1k for the course. But if you want to calm your mind and want focus, TM is a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTDpJb_MZGY

this second vid shows the process last 10 minutes

Every book, every spiritual teacher encourages one thing, meditation. All of them.

Stay away from the drugs.

If you want to be happy long term, do it naturally.

edit:

http://www.tm.org/

site has some good info and if you have the money to spare, join a local network it is worth the support and the guidance on how to learn the process.

If you want to get grounded quickly, TM for 20 minutes, it is pretty fcuking good!!

I have to admit, best thing ever!

I took aderall 3 times in my life. First time I was in a middle of a project and was able to sit down and do a good amount of work. I wouldn't call it magic - I simply felt like I was in "the flow", which I usually get into after 10 mins of working, but this time I simply kept my focus a bit better - I had a better grip on my attention and kept to the task. The second time I took it as I was about to go to a coffee shop and do some more work. At this time in my life my anxiety was creeping up quite a bit, going to public places had become more of a challenge. So I get to the coffee shop, and it's packed. I figure the pill will help. So I find the only available space and it's across from two girls. After a sip of coffee I bought things started to go bad. I am worrying out of my mind thinking about what they're thinking, and trying to look normal at the same time. The pill isn't doing jack - I can hardly keep focus on my laptop screen. I start to feel sweat pour down my face, something that usually doesn't happen. I don't remember if I walked out or if the girls left first but man that wasn't fun. The third time I took it I was anxious about the next project and slacking on it, and I was able to do only 20 minutes or so because of the laziness and the resistance. So to sum this up - it wasn't magic focus pill, I could get into the same state normally myself if I really wanted to, and it made things worse when things went south.

Emanon had great advice on the previous page to the dude who bumped this thread - if you keep WISHING for a body and a business, but aren't making changes, then you simply don't want it enough to change into the person who COULD get those things accomplished. Either you don't know how or you don't want to. If you know how but don't, then you don't want to. So look at what you choose to do instead and ask what you're getting out of that, that keeps you content and talks you out of making specific changes in your behavior.

Never done drugs and don't plan to start now. Heck I hate taking OTC pain pills. When I had my knee surgery in 06 and my leg surgery last year I got off of the pain meds as fast as I could.

I've never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or anything of the sort so I hesitate to judge and say "suck it up". I will say that I certainly have days where I don't feel like working or focusing is hard to do but I have always pushed through it. I've changed up the routine, thrown some music on, moved rooms at work...basically whatever I could do to push the distractions away and force myself to focus.

I think it is human nature to want to take a pill to make it all better...whatever IT is. That being said it never works out that way. There is no pill I can take to add 30 pounds of muscle, 20 points to my IQ or allows me to sleep less that doesn't have horrible side effects.

All that being said I am glad that I do not suffer from a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes these issues. It is very easy to feel compassion for someone you see limping around because of a bad foot or in a wheel chair because of a missing leg...it is a lot harder to look at someone who appears "normal" and feel compassion for them when you can't see a physical issue.

Hang in there Stig! The fact that you can acknowledge that something isn't quite right and that you want to fix it is a big step!