rmtn

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brand new into the HiFi world

I picked up the Sennheiser HD 800S and the matching Sennheiser HDVD 800 amplifier. Do I need anything else to start enjoying my headphones? Should I change any of the wires? Do I need a hifi music player?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Welcome to the HiFi world! I hope you won't regret it as it can be a life-long journey and as you approach hi-end, prices increase exponentially and the rule of the rate of diminishing return applies here more than ever.

Fellippe's comment nailed it. The one part that I might not fully agree with is the disc transport. While I concur that the transport at "reasonable" cost level doesn't make much difference, there are nuances and the more hi-end one goes, the more apparent it becomes. Although it is technically just outputting zero's and one's, reading error, buffer size and beam precision do play a role in the sound. And. as always, compatibility will always play a role. Ans yes, certain transport does sound better with certain DAC. More on this later...

I would suggest you leave everything as they are for the moment. 1) You need to familiar yourself with the sound. It's likely safe to say that the "Sennheiser sound" (tonal signature) is your cup of tea and that's great. Get familiar with it and use it as your benchmark to any changes made (cable, source, power source etc...). Of course, you should always use live music as THE reference as every piece of hi-fi equipment has its own tonal signature. Some might actually sound "better" than live but that's also colouration and thus it's not accurate. 2) Like everything else, your headphone and your amp/DAC need breaking-in. I suggest you play them for at least 40hours; preferably 100hrs; before any serious listening. Once you "know" the sound from your gears, then you can start experimenting.

For cabling, I actually like the OEM cable that comes with the 800S. I concur with Fellippe that Cardas is a good choice as an alternate cable but I am not sure if that's for the better onthe 800S. The reason being the original 800 is a mellow-sounding headphones. Like all Sennhesiers, the mid-range is slightly emphasized so it has a warm and rich sound (and a side-benefit of less hearing fatigue after prolong use). Naysayers, however, find the 800 too relaxed and a tad "slow". I don't disagree with that but they are at acceptable level. Since other headphone manufacturers; including new brands; came out with new models, the 800 needed a refresh to catch up and the 800S was the result. The 800S does sound faster and livelier than the 800. But here is the dilemma, Cardas cable also has a tonal signatures of warm sound. So if you swap the Cardas into the 800S, it's would "slow down" the 800S and makes it having the 800 sound. I don't think you want to do that. There are a plethora of cables available for the 800/800S. I find most of them having compromises one way or the other. Most tune them to emphasize a certain frequency bump to create their own tonal signature. But as afore-said, you need to be sure what the OEM sound is first, then you experiment and make comparisons. I would leave the 800S cable as it is. You may want to experiment with the digital/USB cable. A general rule is that copper cable will result in a warmer sounding tone while silver cable will have more transparency. Again, balance is the key. Too much silver may make things too bright thus causing ear fatigue; while too much copper may muffle the sound and not having enough dynamics. If you are itching to experiment after becoming familiar with the OEM sound, I would suggest you try a different power cable that plugs into the 800HDVD. Electricity (as in AC), plays a huge role in digital music. The cleaner and purer the juice, the better the sound. The copper & silver material rules also apply here. And don't dismiss low-price AC power cord. Again, buy whatever sounds best for you so long as it's not too distant from true tonal accuracy.

If you are downloading/streaming music, then it's not an issue. If you are spinning discs (CD's, DVD's). Having a good solid transport would be nice but as streaming music becomes more and more popular, good transport is hard to get. You either get crappy stuff that's made in China or Korea, or you get the hi-end stuff that's made by Philips or Sony with heavy modifications. Both Marantz and Denon make good disc players (despite you would only need its transport part since your 800HDVD comes with a built-in DAC); they are actually owned by the same mother company. Philips is also great though that might be hard to find in North America. But honestly, any DVD player should be able to do a reasonable job at this stage. Just do the following please: make sure the player sits on a very firm and flat surface. The transport spins at high speed so you want to avoid as much vibration as possible (minimizing reading error). It should also be perfectly leveled for the same reason. If necessary, put something heavy on its top surface to add weight for stabilization. One effective way at minimal cost is to fill an empty butter/margarine plastic container with nails, pebbles or gravel and place it on top of the transport top plate. While a heavy book would also work, the container is small enough so you can move it around on the entire surface to find out exactly where it vibrates the most and damps it out as much as possible.

Lastly, I must confess that I am not a huge fan of headphones. Several members here had asked me before and I replied in the same manner --- it's almost impossible to create a proper sound stage with headphones and as one wears it on one's head, the music appears to materialize about 5inches above one's cranium; obviously, that's not what happens in real live music. Having said that, however, the HD800 is about as good as it can get in attempting to create the proper sounding stage rather than having the "all-happening-on-top-of-one's-head" effect. By the same physical limitation, headphones are not that accurate and transparent. The only exception (to me anyway) is the electrostatic headphones but those are $$$ and I don't like the working principles behind them --- essentially, one's head is in between a pair of electrostatic Mylar that carries hundreds if not thousands of volts. For that, I had never owned a pair of electrostatic headphones. I should also confess that I also like the Sennheiser sound and of all the headphones that I owned, the majority of them were Sennheiser's.

Hope this isn't too long-winded and it helps. Congrats again!

I would suggest you leave everything as they are for the moment.

This for a long time, enjoy music! Cheers! :)

• 1 year later...

Any recommendations on how to get good sound out of a computer for headphones?

Wanna buy an amp, good set of headphones, external sound card, to hook up to my notebook. Recommendations?

Wanna buy an amp, good set of headphones, external sound card, to hook up to my notebook. Recommendations?

I've never used more than a headphone jack direct when listening to computers. It's usually good enough for what it is, and I never sought the hi-fi experience that way.

If the external sound card has an output for a D/A converter ("DAC"), then I would get a decent DAC and start from there. I haven't played with a computer sound card in forever, so not sure if all of them have these outputs or just a select few.

The DAC will improve the analog output you will get as opposed to running the standard analog output straight to an amp or direct to headphones. You can choose to run an amplifier if you wish for greater quality, but of course this is up to you.

A Cambridge Audio DAC Magic is a nice starter DAC, costs around $500 I believe. It can take in coax, optical and even USB. I'd recommend that:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/...ma/dacmagic-100

With respect to the output connection itself....coax over optical if given a choice. A lot of lower end gear has eliminated coax, but if it's available it's better sound.

BTW, I recall now using a laptop at an audio show among other input sources. We just used USB to a DAC and it was fine.

Headphones? Provide a budget and/or goals, and we can go from there. If you have nice hardware, headphone quality is not as critical. If you run a nice DAC and amp, then a low end pair of headphones will usually sound better than high end headphones fed straight from the headphone jack. This is the same principle with speakers in general, not just headphones.

Amp? Not a ton of choices out there for headphone amps. I know Woo is popular, but I haven't listened to them to vouch for them.

This might be out of your budget, but it's what I'd use:

http://www.synthesis.co.it/roma-roma41.php

The Grommes PHI-26 headphone amp was a favorite about 10+ years ago when it was still around. That's another one I like.

^^^^^Got a suggestion for a more mid-level amp than the Roma to go with the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic unit? And any suggestions on mid-level (quality but not astronimcal price) headphones as well? I am looking to create a basic system in my bedroom that I can use for just headphones that has quality sound. Would not be using or adding any speakers to this set up as I have an existing system already in the main area of the house however I have a young son and would like to enjoy quality audio at night without disturbing his (or anyone else's) sleep, hence the need for headphones.

I've never used more than a headphone jack direct when listening to computers. It's usually good enough for what it is, and I never sought the hi-fi experience that way.

If the external sound card has an output for a D/A converter ("DAC"), then I would get a decent DAC and start from there. I haven't played with a computer sound card in forever, so not sure if all of them have these outputs or just a select few.

The DAC will improve the analog output you will get as opposed to running the standard analog output straight to an amp or direct to headphones. You can choose to run an amplifier if you wish for greater quality, but of course this is up to you.

A Cambridge Audio DAC Magic is a nice starter DAC, costs around $500 I believe. It can take in coax, optical and even USB. I'd recommend that:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/...ma/dacmagic-100

With respect to the output connection itself....coax over optical if given a choice. A lot of lower end gear has eliminated coax, but if it's available it's better sound.

BTW, I recall now using a laptop at an audio show among other input sources. We just used USB to a DAC and it was fine.

Headphones? Provide a budget and/or goals, and we can go from there. If you have nice hardware, headphone quality is not as critical. If you run a nice DAC and amp, then a low end pair of headphones will usually sound better than high end headphones fed straight from the headphone jack. This is the same principle with speakers in general, not just headphones.

Amp? Not a ton of choices out there for headphone amps. I know Woo is popular, but I haven't listened to them to vouch for them.

This might be out of your budget, but it's what I'd use:

http://www.synthesis.co.it/roma-roma41.php

The Grommes PHI-26 headphone amp was a favorite about 10+ years ago when it was still around. That's another one I like.

I have no idea what I'm talking about in this space, so when I mentioned an amp, I think I had it in my mind as a DAC.

For headphones I stick with Klipsch, but my budget would be under $300.

^^^^^Got a suggestion for a more mid-level amp than the Roma to go with the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic unit? And any suggestions on mid-level (quality but not astronimcal price) headphones as well? I am looking to create a basic system in my bedroom that I can use for just headphones that has quality sound. Would not be using or adding any speakers to this set up as I have an existing system already in the main area of the house however I have a young son and would like to enjoy quality audio at night without disturbing his (or anyone else's) sleep, hence the need for headphones.

I'm really happy with Woo Audio WA6 and Sennheiser HD650

Went to my local Hifi store at lunch time, tried a bunch of headphones and those Sennheiser HD650s are by far the best from what I tried. Going to go with those for sure, I can see why you like them so much. The sales guy mentioned that NAD has just launched this 3020V2 which has a built in phono as well so I can use a turntable (I have a large vinyl collection) so I am going go with that one over the Cambridge audio I think:

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3020v2...ital-amplifier/

Now I just need to decide if I need to add an amp in the system for some extra power, still not sure what to do there or if I even need it. Might start with just the headphones and the NAD unit and add the amp later if needed.

Just buy this, forget any of the hi-fi consumer stuff:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet

It's a professional unit designed by recording industry experts, you can't do better for this kind of money. And you can hook it up many different ways, the headphone jack is on the front within easy reach. It sounds superb, I use mine constantly with desktop monitors: Genelec M040s with Hsu Research dual 10" sub units under the desk. It uses the USB interface to take the digital stream and process it with its own DACs, and if you really want to get into recording it'll do that as well. As for headphones, it's your call, they all sound different, but the Sennheiser HD650 is a known standard that has an excellent reputation.

Just buy this, forget any of the hi-fi consumer stuff:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet

It's a professional unit designed by recording industry experts, you can't do better for this kind of money. And you can hook it up many different ways, the headphone jack is on the front within easy reach. It sounds superb, I use mine constantly with desktop monitors: Genelec M040s with Hsu Research dual 10" sub units under the desk. It uses the USB interface to take the digital stream and process it with its own DACs, and if you really want to get into recording it'll do that as well. As for headphones, it's your call, they all sound different, but the Sennheiser HD650 is a known standard that has an excellent reputation.

Thanks for the recommendation! Love the size of that unit. Gonna start laying down some EDM tracks with that as a bonus :D

Slightly off-topic. I've been in search of some GOOD Bluetooth over the ear headphones for quite some time now.

Think I may have found the perfect pair.

Grabbed the Bowers & Wilkins PX and my god do they sound good!

What are you guys using for your on the go music? I'm open to trying out any recommendations that may be better than the PX's.

Please don't say Beats lol!

Current PX http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/W...headphones.html

Slightly off-topic. I've been in search of some GOOD Bluetooth over the ear headphones for quite some time now.

Think I may have found the perfect pair.

Grabbed the Bowers & Wilkins PX and my god do they sound good!

What are you guys using for your on the go music? I'm open to trying out any recommendations that may be better than the PX's.

Please don't say Beats lol!

Current PX http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/W...headphones.html

noise cancelling are almost never good on me, tell me, do these give your ear that numb feeling like you spent the day at the beach and are listening to everyone through tin cans?

noise cancelling are almost never good on me, tell me, do these give your ear that numb feeling like you spent the day at the beach and are listening to everyone through tin cans?

I can't say that these do. They are very natural sounding, like being at an acoustically balanced concert hall.

I love epic orchestra type pieces i.e Two Steps From Hello / Thomas Bergersen and their pieces sound so detailed.

The noise canceling can be turned on or off via the app. I usually leave it off. There are three different modes I believe depending on your environment.

No numb feeling imo!

Sorry but I must agree 100% with TestShoot on this one.

I had expressed my opinion on headphones on numerous occasions; no need to say more. For noise cancelling, it reminds me of Dolby NR (for those who are old enough to know what it is). It's effective to a certain extent but it has its compromises and those are rather substantial. It's like an abrupt frequency cut off not unlike amputation.

That being said, it is effective on long-haul flights and under harsh listening environment where it's impossible to appreciate the full audio spectrum. But if we are following the title of this thread which involves highend hi-fi, then there is nothing hi-fi about the noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds. And that's including top brands like B&W, B&O, Sennehisers & Sony etc... While NC works, it just isn't natural enough and something more than noise is definitely missing. I have been searching for an "ideal" pair of NC headphones for in-flight use for the past 3 years, none can come close to my satisfaction...unfortunately.

....NC headphones for in-flight use for the past 3 years, none can come close to my satisfaction...unfortunately.

NC for being on a flight to clip jet noise is one thing, but i don't like them for audio. You get a numbing effect, but it helps cut fatigue.

NC for being on a flight to clip jet noise is one thing, but i don't like them for audio. You get a numbing effect, but it helps cut fatigue.

I fully concur. I do trans-oceanic flights rather often so numbing and fatique take on whole new meanings.

I have a pair of Bose QC35 II that I mostly use for flights, they have 3 settings for NC: high/low/off. With NC off they don't sound any worse than I would expect a pair of mid grade wireless bluetooth headphones to sound.

On a flight now and the NC is good for this use case. With NC off I don't notice any degradation in audio at all. I prefer it off in regular listening cases. Do NC headphones degrade audio even when off?

My apologies if off topic!

On a flight now and the NC is good for this use case. With NC off I don't notice any degradation in audio at all. I prefer it off in regular listening cases. Do NC headphones degrade audio even when off?

My apologies if off topic!

To be fair, I wouldn't call it "degradation" as B&W knows how to make proper speakers. But headphones do weird things to the imaging, soundstage etc... and that's even with NC off. With NC on, something just gets abruptly cut off. It is a compromise I know as they do have their limitations. I guess it's like driving a Lexus; nothing wrong with it in all fairness but it just isn't as fun as driving a Lambo. :)