HiFi/Highend/Audio Gear

rmtn

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the best headphone + amp combo I can get for $1,500-$2,000?

What are your music tastes?

If I know you well enough I'd say go with a dynamic headphone vs. an electrostatic...

Will make this simple:

Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 probably are the best all around phone I can think of < $500. Strong bass, good midrange, not too bright up top. There are a lot of other decent brands like Audeze, Audiotecnica, that I've yet to really audition, but I don't think it would matter much.

Grado RS1 is really nice....that's somewhere around $600-700 I think. I'd say that's probably their best headphone. I really like their lower end lines for their smoothness and tonal balance but they don't get as loud or have as much bass.

Headphone amp, I'd go with Earmax.

http://www.theac.co.uk/earmax.html

Keep in mind this is not a headphone amp on to go.

If you need portability Grado and I believe Sennheiser make smaller portable amps.

What are your music tastes?

If I know you well enough I'd say go with a dynamic headphone vs. an electrostatic...

Will make this simple:

Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 probably are the best all around phone I can think of < $500. Strong bass, good midrange, not too bright up top. There are a lot of other decent brands like Audeze, Audiotecnica, that I've yet to really audition, but I don't think it would matter much.

Grado RS1 is really nice....that's somewhere around $600-700 I think. I'd say that's probably their best headphone. I really like their lower end lines for their smoothness and tonal balance but they don't get as loud or have as much bass.

Headphone amp, I'd go with Earmax.

http://www.theac.co.uk/earmax.html

Keep in mind this is not a headphone amp on to go.

If you need portability Grado and I believe Sennheiser make smaller portable amps.

Thanks. I listen mostly to EDM and Hip-Hop. The amp doesn't have to be portable. It would be sitting in my office for when I'm working. I normally keep my music on my macbook pro. Am I better off using the analog out, or the mini-toslink to a DAC/Amp combo?

Sorry guys, currently on the road but will get back to you on this "about time" thread. :)

And looks like Fellippe & I are not alone on L/P that was bitten by the audio bug. :icon_super:

Sprite, didn't you asked the same questions a few years back? A number of us responded.

Countach-87, your set up brings back some great memories: I had a very similar setup --- Audio Research SP-11MkII & alternated a few ARC Classic-series pwr-amp for the HF & a pair of Krell KMA-100 for the LF. Had a Meridian CD player & a Goldmund Studietto then. Interconnects were mostly Cardas.

Sorry guys, currently on the road but will get back to you on this "about time" thread. :)

And looks like Fellippe & I are not alone on L/P that was bitten by the audio bug. :icon_super:

Sprite, didn't you asked the same questions a few years back? A number of us responded.

Countach-87, your set up brings back some great memories: I had a very similar setup --- Audio Research SP-11MkII & alternated a few ARC Classic-series pwr-amp for the HF & a pair of Krell KMA-100 for the LF. Had a Meridian CD player & a Goldmund Studietto then. Interconnects were mostly Cardas.

You are right, back in 2007. I had completely forgotten as I never ended up picking up any new gear. Found the old post.

You recommended the HeadRoom amps.

Since I normally will be listening from a computer is this http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/he...op-amp--dac.php worth the extra money over http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/he...m-micro-amp.php ? I will be getting the Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Also are there any tube amps in the same price range as the linked amps that would be better? Preferably something that's easy to find and order online from a US based store.

You are right, back in 2007. I had completely forgotten as I never ended up picking up any new gear. Found the old post.

You recommended the HeadRoom amps.

Since I normally will be listening from a computer is this http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/he...op-amp--dac.php worth the extra money over http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/he...m-micro-amp.php ? I will be getting the Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Also are there any tube amps in the same price range as the linked amps that would be better? Preferably something that's easy to find and order online from a US based store.

The more expensive one has a built-in DAC while the micro is a simple headphone amp. If you computer has music signal in digital output, then it's worth buying the DAC/amp version. Conversely, if your computer is outputing analogue music signal (i.e. "regular signal which you simply plug in the headphone and you hear music), then I think the micro version is enough.

For tube headphone amps, try this one:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

There is a more expensive (and better sounding) version but it is quite a bit more than the regular version as above:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa6se.html

Both are just amps, no DAC. And beware of those options; they do offer better sound (slightly, as the rate of diminishing return applies here) but are somewhat $$. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I listen mostly to EDM and Hip-Hop. The amp doesn't have to be portable. It would be sitting in my office for when I'm working. I normally keep my music on my macbook pro. Am I better off using the analog out, or the mini-toslink to a DAC/Amp combo?

You should be able to configure the sound card settings to be digital out through a USB. Seen it done a PC laptop, so shouldn't be a big deal.

The V Link USB to coax adapter is about $180. Then get a decent DAC like DAC Magic.

Or you can do Sonos for a little more money, and get a DAC too.

IMO if you are going to spend nicely on a tube amp with decent phones, you should be running it through a decent DAC.

Btw I heard HD650s on WA6...pretty nice. Also heard them with the WA2 and the phones came alive more. A few hundred more but worth it to me. Some of the more expensive Woo amps (not sure which model #s but $$$), I have not heard good things about.

You're gonna have a decent headphone setup either way.

Btw I heard HD650s on WA6...pretty nice. Also heard them with the WA2 and the phones came alive more. A few hundred more but worth it to me. Some of the more expensive Woo amps (not sure which model #s but $$$), I have not heard good things about.

Agreed Fellippe. Although the WA2 is a bit big & serves more than what Sprite needs. I will also pass on the more $$$/higher-end Woo's; not worth it for what they are or sound.

I'm going to get to order the Woo WA6 + DacMagic and some HD 650s. What are some decent but not too pricey cables I can order online to go between the DacMagic and the amp?

I'm going to get to order the Woo WA6 + DacMagic and some HD 650s. What are some decent but not too pricey cables I can order online to go between the DacMagic and the amp?

IMO, I think Kimber cables should match well in this set up. Their selection is wide but not huge which is good. I personally think the PBJ line is the best deal in the highend hi-fi world. Anything above would be "better" in overall tonal quality but at some point the rate of diminishing return applies.

Everyone ENGLISH please :icon_mrgreen:

You can all ask VCR what my set up is, I still don't know, the only thing I know that it sounds awesome and definetly did not break the bank.

I got the hi-fi bug pretty early in life, and mowed enough lawns to buy myself a pair of Magnepans when I was 14. Things have only gotten worse since then. I really am pretty happy with my current system, though I do plan on a few upgrades in the near future. Here's my setup:

post-47348-1346685129_thumb.jpg

If you dont mind, what components you have, I don't recognize any of those? :)

ps great view from your windows.

If you dont mind, what components you have, I don't recognize any of those? :)

ps great view from your windows.

Audio Aero Capitole MKII

Lamm M2.1

Revel Ultima Studio

Nordost Frey and Shunyata King Cobra cables

The Capitole is an upsampling CD player that has a full complement of digital inputs and an integrated tube preamp. I run that direct to the Lamm amps, and use its digital inputs for computer audio and video sources. The whole system is pretty much unchanged in 7-8 years and I'm still pretty damn happy with it. I do plan on getting the newer Revel Ultima Salon2 sometime, but it just isn't a priority yet.

For video I went quite a bit cheaper... I just have an Epson 8350 and a 106" screen that drops down in front of the window. The projector probably has been used more for playing PS3 hockey games than anything else, so I don't really worry too much about anything beyond a reasonable level of quality there.

I'm sure there are plenty of serious audiophiles who would never set their systems up in front of a window, but I like having the view. The ability to listen to music and watch thunderstorms off in the distance is easily worth whatever sound quality the window might cost me.

Thanks Chef!

The whole system is pretty much unchanged in 7-8 years and I'm still pretty damn happy with it.

This is the great thing with audio gear, new products are created all the time, but unlike in tech, say in computers or mobiles, the newer is not neccessarily better or even neccessary items at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of serious audiophiles who would never set their systems up in front of a window, but I like having the view. The ability to listen to music and watch thunderstorms off in the distance is easily worth whatever sound quality the window might cost me.

I knew that

I was going to ask how the window adds to the sound but had I the same view I would not care that much about the sound.

And to me also these are more feel good things than finding the last drop of sound.

Have heard a nice setup in a hotel with a big window behind it, agree it can be done.

Just don't try to put in a system in an all glass room. Sorry Fortis. :icon_mrgreen:

I knew that

I was going to ask how the window adds to the sound but had I the same view I would not care that much about the sound.

And to me also these are more feel good things than finding the last drop of sound.

The window does cause some treble issues, but my speakers have tweeter level adjustments. Switching the rear tweeters off completely and dropping the front tweeters by 0.5 db took care of that well enough. I used to want a dedicated listening room loaded with acoustical treatments, but at this point I'd much rather do the best I can in my living room, where I can enjoy it much more often.

Have heard a nice setup in a hotel with a big window behind it, agree it can be done.

Just don't try to put in a system in an all glass room. Sorry Fortis. :icon_mrgreen:

You should hear the sound bouncing off the glass :icon_mrgreen:

The window does cause some treble issues, but my speakers have tweeter level adjustments. Switching the rear tweeters off completely and dropping the front tweeters by 0.5 db took care of that well enough. I used to want a dedicated listening room loaded with acoustical treatments, but at this point I'd much rather do the best I can in my living room, where I can enjoy it much more often.

A lot of it is a compromise for sure.

What I don't get though is the real low percentage of dedicated rooms out there considering the money some people in this hobby spend. Plus if you build your own house, you can already build your room for a lot less than doing it from scratch.

An ideal room could be worth $50k, maybe more in gear and it obviously is not gonna cost anywhere near that much in construction costs.

Alright my Lambo brothers who also share the passion for hi-end audio gear. Sorry to have you waiting; as afore-said, was on the road. So, came home & snapped some quick pics; regrets for their so so quality.

Anyway...

Front end:

Analogue:

Goldmund Studio turntable (the black one) + Goldmund T3F linear tracking arm + MC cartridge (the one mounted is some cheap but ok-sounding Sumiko. The one on the plinth is a Clearaudio "Goldmound").

"Zend" turntable (the silver one) + Graham Phantom II Supreme tonearm + Lyra MC cartridge (not a big fan of the Lyra, most likely replace it with a Benz-Micro). This turntable was special-commissioned and is an one-of-a-kind. (The same custom-manufacturer also made turntables for the US Library of Congress for archival purposes).

Digital:

Sony SCD-1 as a driver (about to be replaced), Dodson DA-218Mk II Palladium DAC.

Pre-amp:

Matisse Reference Final Edition w/tube PSU upgrade

a special-commissioned Artemis Labs pre-amp + phono amp.

Pwr amp:

Artemis Labs swiss cheese (with upgraded tubes)

Conrad Johnson ARTsa

Loudspeakers:

Custom-made 4-way full-sized 2-cabinet per channel floor-standing type (about to be replaced)

Cables:

mostly Silversmith Palladium

And before yes guys say it, yes, there should not be a cover on the Goldmund. I knew that; just that I was out of town and didn't want dust on the piano wood. The cover goes when the LPs are spinning. And yes, those are Megablocks that are "elevating" the cables. You hi-end guys should know why they are like that.

The room was constructed according to the Golden Ratio with high ceiling. Front & side walls are reinforced concrete with double-studs + heavy insulation. Rear wall is double cinder block + double-studs with insulation (to create a live end/dead end for the room). Front wall & ceiling is plastered with textured wall paper while side walls are acoustically treated with reflective/adsorbing sound panels. Medium-weight wool carpet + heavy padding for the floor. Solid-core wooden door. All lighting is of traditional incandescent bulb only (no ballast, no transformers, no LEDs, no dimmer switch) and is dedicated & isolated on a separated circuit. 3 other separates, dedicated and isolated AC wall circuit each: one for front end, one for pre-amp and one for pwr-amp respectively. All AC outlets are heavily-plated with reinforced contacts and cryogenically treated. Additional isolated & filtered AC power supply added for power cables.

As far as esoteric hi-end goes, the room itself becomes part of the component and room treatment opens up a brand new chapter (or a brand new can of worms depending on how one looks at it). And, of course, there are plenty of snake-oil-like products around that claim to improve sound in a more-than-weird way. Cheers.