Countach VS Testarossa

Allan-Herbie

From the driver of the Countach:

A good friend Danny has a yellow anniversary Countach and was invited to take part in a kids program called "girls not allowed". They wanted to race a Countach against a Testarossa. Danny was up for it but not having any race track experience he asked me if I would drive the car. Don't get me wrong Danny drives the anniversary hard but race track experience is another ball game.

So I arrive at the Rockingham Race Circuit in the UK to find that the Testarossa is driven by a real nice guy that races it in the Ferrari Classic Championship. The cars trailered there, has a roll cage, Pirelli race cut slicks, big 6 pot AP brakes, modified suspension etc.etc. Danny's car is bog standard other than a straight through exhaust. Anyway to cut a long story short the guy in the Testarossa goes first, does eight practise laps neither of us have been to this circuit before and then does the standing start flying timed lap. Then its my go. I drove Danny's car once four years ago for about a mile on a dual carriageway. I only do four practice laps as by lap two I'm already having to pump the brakes to stop for the corners, on Danny's advice I dump the clutch at 4000 rpm and were off. I cross the start finish line lift off and still can't stop for the chicane but no problem just go straight through the cones and turn around. The time for the Testarossa was 1 minute 29.6 seconds, the Countach 1 minute 28.2 seconds. Danny had a grin from ear to ear and so did I. The biggest laugh was with the guy who was there with an Enzo. He'd done about forty laps that day as they did a lot of filming with the car. His best lap was only five seconds quicker than I managed in the Countach.

Danny has often talked about upgrading the brakes on the Countach and if we had some good brakes and I could have done the eight warm up laps before the timed lap we'd have beaten the Enzo time. Ok when all said and done its all down to the nut behind the wheel. For those of you who are interested "girls not allowed" is shown 10.30am on a Saturday morning on channel 5. Our bit will be shown somewhere within the next four weeks. Hope they don't show my spin on lap two when I tried to slow the car down on the gearbox, it did not work and I ended up going backwards. cheers Graeme

http://racingvideos.ultimatestreet.com/car...rari-testarossa

As history teachs, the Bull always defeated the Horse... :icon_mrgreen:

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

ciao

So let me get this straight...

That was two guys driving one car, never swapping?

LOL, very scientific. Says more about driver than car, ESP the Enzo guy and his blistering lap time with all that extra power, grip, and shifting advantage. :icon_mrgreen:

In all fairness I'm hearing that the gap in straight line speed between a good TR and good downdraft Countach is not much at all if any. I wouldn't doubt the CT having some advantage in handling, but the idea that it's like diablo vs 512 tr is overblown IMHO.

So let me get this straight...

That was two guys driving one car, never swapping?

LOL, very scientific. Says more about driver than car, ESP the Enzo guy and his blistering lap time with all that extra power, grip, and shifting advantage. :icon_mrgreen:

In all fairness I'm hearing that the gap in straight line speed between a good TR and good downdraft Countach is not much at all if any. I wouldn't doubt the CT having some advantage in handling, but the idea that it's like diablo vs 512 tr is overblown IMHO.

There is pretty substantial difference between a good QV and a good TR...

There is pretty substantial difference between a good QV and a good TR...

Considering i ate a guys lunch that was in a F360, i would agree with this.

Considering i ate a guys lunch that was in a F360, i would agree with this.

A TR on a decent roll will take down a 355/360 as well. I wouldn't let the 0-60 #s cloud judgment here.

BTW, for all the trillions of race videos between GTRs, Gallardos, 911s, Chevrolet Z Cars, is there even *1* good race between a good downdraft and a good euro TR/512??

That's the only race that matters. :icon_mrgreen:

A TR on a decent roll will take down a 355/360 as well. I wouldn't let the 0-60 #s cloud judgment here.

BTW, for all the trillions of race videos between GTRs, Gallardos, 911s, Chevrolet Z Cars, is there even *1* good race between a good downdraft and a good euro TR/512??

That's the only race that matters. :icon_mrgreen:

Back in the day I had several races with a few TR's, including one that I owned for a few months.. The Countach would win everytime. A TR will lose to a good 355, or 360 aswell. A 512TR is a different story. I think a good QV will put up a good fight, but once into higher speeds (150) the 512 will pull simply due to aerodynamics.

When my Countach comes, I will vbox it.. :icon_mrgreen:

Back in the day I had several races with a few TR's, including one that I owned for a few months.. The Countach would win everytime. A TR will lose to a good 355, or 360 aswell. A 512TR is a different story. I think a good QV will put up a good fight, but once into higher speeds (150) the 512 will pull simply due to aerodynamics.

Nice!

I hope to live enough to see the result... :icon_mrgreen:

ciao!

This was the TR guy posting on FChat after it in '94;

Thank you for all your support guys (and gals). The whole thing was a bit of a miss-mash when it was being recorded, but I must admit I did have a lot of fun doing it! I had the Castle Combe circuit virgually to myself all day (a tank and a half of fuel) for 30 seconds of footage on the programme!

The guy in the lambo had not even been to the circuit when they recorded the programme.

I spent two days, one at Caslte Combe and one at Beaulieu and didn't even get a letter of thanks or a video/cd of the footage as they promised me.

As I said before, I did enjoy it but I would not rush to do it again.

For those of you who have asked about the polish I use on the car, I have prepared the car over the winter with Zymol, starting with the Klay, then de-greaser, finishing with Vintage Polish. It's a natural product, doesn't take ANY paint, whatsoever, off the car. I've also done the 360 with it, and that too looks amazing! It's not cheap, it's hard work, but well worth all the money and effort.

Thanks also for the PM's and emails of support.

RAY360M

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthrea...5439&page=2

According to them it was a 512....i'm confused.

Thank you for all your support guys (and gals). The whole thing was a bit of a miss-mash when it was being recorded, but I must admit I did have a lot of fun doing it! I had the Castle Combe circuit virgually to myself all day (a tank and a half of fuel) for 30 seconds of footage on the programme!

The guy in the lambo had not even been to the circuit when they recorded the programme.

I spent two days, one at Caslte Combe and one at Beaulieu and didn't even get a letter of thanks or a video/cd of the footage as they promised me.

For those of you who have asked about the polish I use on the car, I have prepared the car over the winter with Zymol, starting with the Klay, then de-greaser, finishing with Vintage Polish. It's a natural product, doesn't take ANY paint, whatsoever, off the car. I've also done the 360 with it, and that too looks amazing! It's not cheap, it's hard work, but well worth all the money and effort.

RAY360M

Ha..typical Fcrap bullshit.. Countach look outdated against a TR.. LOL Their shit got smoked and they cried like little pussies.

RAY360M

The video Allan-Herbie posted was at Rockingham. This is about something at Castle Combe.

Maybe a Countach beat a Ferrari at Castle Combe too…

I have a 91 TR, 2 CT (LP400S and 5000S) and a 78 BB (carb).

The TR is a little bit faster in straight line speed over my LP400S and the BB. The CT easily handles the best. None have trackworthy brakes. If I had to track one (if my life depended on it - I am not a car track guy, I ride bikes on the track) I would try to find some rubber and pads for my 400S. Mind you, I did passenger once in my TR at a Corse Clienti day with a Ferrari test driver who managed to pass a few 430s and 360s in my old TR so they can hustle if used right.

What is the most amazing is how some of the F car people cling to the idea that the BB is a better pure sports car than the CT. I love my (mint) BB, but it is a vintage bit of kit on tall Michelin XWX rubber and likes to be driven accordingly.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381106

I have not had the pleasure of a DD QV, but suspect it would close the power gap on the TR (455 hp vs. 380). I have driven a 512TR, pretty damned fast and a smidge better handling than my TR. Still, my bet is on the QV...

DD is faster on the straight line than any LP400S, quite a bit faster

i am sure it is faster than a testarossa and not far from a diablo