2008 M3 Sedan

HannibalACP82

The good and the bad? I know we have a few members on here with them. Work is going quite well and I may be in the market for a newer car. Right now I have a rental for work so I never put any miles on my 2 cars at home. I love to look and look and look without buying but the wife has started to get on my case a bit.

I love my S2K but I can never go out in the family with it. It is a blast but I am also thinking about getting something I can enjoy every day. What kind of mechanical issues am I looking at? Known faults and things to be aware of? Options or packages I want to have vs. those I really don't need? Open to any and all ideas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NAVIGATION-...ht_33000wt_1165

post-24965-1351043830.jpg

post-24965-1351043837.jpg

The wood trim would have to go RIGHT AWAY for the CF or Aluminum.

You have excellent taste!

If you buy it and need a local shop to work on it I have a friend with a performance shop that works almost exclusively on euro brands, and he could probably rebuild a BMW engine with his eyes closed. He is a huge fan of the BMWs, and I see a LOT of M3s at the track. That looks like a nice example.

It's not convenient to where you live - but not so bad from where you work.

I just bought a 2012 3 series xdrive wagon (Alpine White over gray) and I am LOVING it! Fun, sporty, practical, and you don't see them by the hundreds. I specifically wanted the wagon. It's my first BMW and so far I'm impressed. It is a bit of a slug in the regular drive mode but in sport mode it's plenty quick enough for street driving.

Love the wheels on the car you are considering. Nice!!

You have excellent taste!

If you buy it and need a local shop to work on it I have a friend with a performance shop that works almost exclusively on euro brands, and he could probably rebuild a BMW engine with his eyes closed. He is a huge fan of the BMWs, and I see a LOT of M3s at the track. That looks like a nice example.

It's not convenient to where you live - but not so bad from where you work.

I just bought a 2012 3 series xdrive wagon (Alpine White over gray) and I am LOVING it! Fun, sporty, practical, and you don't see them by the hundreds. I specifically wanted the wagon. It's my first BMW and so far I'm impressed. It is a bit of a slug in the regular drive mode but in sport mode it's plenty quick enough for street driving.

Love the wheels on the car you are considering. Nice!!

Thanks! If you look at the last 3 cars I posted here they are all White with Red Interiors. The RS6 Avant was never going to happen because well they don't import them and the 911 C4S with Aerocup Kit was nice but the timing wasn't right.

This BMW may be different. It is still more then I typically spend on a car but it is really nice and it fits the family much better. I also REALLY REALLY love wagons and kind of want something AWD. I have been looking at 3/5 series Wagons with xDrive as well as Audi A4 Avants. If I could get an S4 Avant in White with a red interior....TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

I also like diesels. Basically I am all over the place. I don't know what I want and I think I enjoy shopping and thinking about buying something far more then I like actually doing it. I know I can write a check and buy this tomorrow (vs a Lambo or something that is out of my price range) but I am just not sure I am ready for it.

Love mine. Great V8, suspension and still enjoy the 6 spd. Not a bad clutch for the city at all. Have about 23k miles on it and no problems. No reason to shy away from the early (08-09) cars either. Happy shopping

This BMW may be different. It is still more then I typically spend on a car but it is really nice and it fits the family much better. I also REALLY REALLY love wagons and kind of want something AWD. I have been looking at 3/5 series Wagons with xDrive as well as Audi A4 Avants. If I could get an S4 Avant in White with a red interior....TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Sewickley Car Store had an A4 Avant (white over tan) that I test drove. Pretty sure it's a 2011 with under 20K miles. It was nice but we walked after finding out it was their service loaner. IMO it was overpriced and they weren't willing to deal. For almost the same $ I got the 2012 BMW wagon loaded. Found it on BMW NA web site.

Have fun shopping! Looking forward to seeing whatever you end up with at a future C&C.

I have a M3 2011 Sedan, stock 19 inch wheels, loaded. I have owned a 98 M3 e36 coupe and 5 other BMW's. It is a comfortable and quick dd, however the car will default to the base mode which is annoying. In base mode a 335i is just as fast. I find it understeery (heavy V8 out front) more so than the same generation 328 and 335 (I have had both) and it rolls too much. The sport mode isn't hard core enough for me. The dual clutch gearbox is really good, though it can chug in stop and start traffic if you have it in one of the aggressive modes. I thought I would replace my Gallardo and X5 with this...looks like I am keeping the Gallardo and the M3, I dumped my X5. My wife likes it, but ultimately it is a boring quick car for me.

Also you need a P.H.D. to activate LC.

But if you have 2 kids and a wife...and don't want to drive our other X5 on the weekends...it's a great car. Just get a Gallardo too.

Personally the best 3 series I have owned was a base model 07 328i sport without the folding rear seat, 335i wheels and spacers. I thrashed that car. The M3 needs to revved to hell, the 335 had a little lag, the 328 was just such an honest car. You got what you paid for.

I really think the folding rear seat destroys the stiffness of the car...my M3 suffers from this too.

post-13077-1351050666.jpg

Kinsella, have you driven the 1 series?

I'd like to go out on a limb and say its more of a drivers car than the current 3.

Probably too small for the OP, but curious what you think.

As far as the M3s, I've heard this sorta thing for years. They make them faster in a straight line, faster around a track, but at the expense of purity each generation.

I think it's really a problem more for the long time BMW guys than the new to the brand guys.

I have a M3 2011 Sedan, stock 19 inch wheels, loaded. I have owned a 98 M3 e36 coupe and 5 other BMW's. It is a comfortable and quick dd, however the car will default to the base mode which is annoying. In base mode a 335i is just as fast. I find it understeery (heavy V8 out front) more so than the same generation 328 and 335 (I have had both) and it rolls too much. The sport mode isn't hard core enough for me. The dual clutch gearbox is really good, though it can chug in stop and start traffic if you have it in one of the aggressive modes. I thought I would replace my Gallardo and X5 with this...looks like I am keeping the Gallardo and the M3, I dumped my X5. My wife likes it, but ultimately it is a boring quick car for me.

Also you need a P.H.D. to activate LC.

But if you have 2 kids and a wife...and don't want to drive our other X5 on the weekends...it's a great car. Just get a Gallardo too.

Personally the best 3 series I have owned was a base model 07 328i sport without the folding rear seat, 335i wheels and spacers. I thrashed that car. The M3 needs to revved to hell, the 335 had a little lag, the 328 was just such an honest car. You got what you paid for.

I really think the folding rear seat destroys the stiffness of the car...my M3 suffers from this too.

Did not know you got the SL wing, looks great, only needs ti callistos now :icon_thumleft:

And regarding the M3, a great car for the money, nice colorcombo to (after the awful woodtrim is removed)

Kinsella, have you driven the 1 series?

I'd like to go out on a limb and say its more of a drivers car than the current 3.

Probably too small for the OP, but curious what you think.

As far as the M3s, I've heard this sorta thing for years. They make them faster in a straight line, faster around a track, but at the expense of purity each generation.

I think it's really a problem more for the long time BMW guys than the new to the brand guys.

You are probably right, I never considered it because I need a four door with the kids. I agree, I am liking BMW's less and less. So much so that I actually test drove an Audi A4 and A6 before picking up my M3. I liked the Audi's even less. Engines weren't as smooth or torquey, even less steering feel. The new 5 is pretty good, just too big for me personally. The new 3 series electric steering is truly awful and the stop start feature is really annoying. I won't buy one until they get it fixed. I hope is that for the new gen M3 they stick with hydraulic steering.

On a side note my M3 was in for a service yesterday and I got a Mini Countryman S as a loaner car. Was prepared to hate it, it's an fugly little bugger. For what is it, it is a really good little car if you can ignore the odd ergonomics. I was talking with my service adviser regarding the new 3 series, the consensus among the advisers was they hate the steering too.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys!

Yes I am back on my feet. I am still considered a contractor with Westinghouse but they treat me very well and I can't complain at all from the compensation or benefits perspective.

It isn't a solid as a Full Time position but even those are hard to feel secure in anymore. We were never in a bad place financially (thanks pops for all the financial advice and how true it was even if I hated it growing up) but it is nice to have some breathing room again.

As for the M3 vs. the base cars I have given consideration to getting a 328xi. I could keep my S2K for fun while having a car that when it is time to go out with the family or more then 1 friend isn't a total turd. Part of me wants to get something nicer since we are doing well and part of me is still scared shitless that at any moment it could coming crashing down again. I think that being laid off was one of the best things that happened to me as it taught me that anyone at any time is replaceable. Even though we never had to worry about putting food on the table or being able to making a mortgage payment it makes you consider how much worse it could have been.

Again I appreciate all of the advice on the car and the concern on my well being! Means a lot coming from a group like LP. I will keep you guys posted on what I do and don't mind me posting every White/Red car I find on ebay.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys!

Yes I am back on my feet. I am still considered a contractor with Westinghouse but they treat me very well and I can't complain at all from the compensation or benefits perspective.

It isn't a solid as a Full Time position but even those are hard to feel secure in anymore. We were never in a bad place financially (thanks pops for all the financial advice and how true it was even if I hated it growing up) but it is nice to have some breathing room again.

As for the M3 vs. the base cars I have given consideration to getting a 328xi. I could keep my S2K for fun while having a car that when it is time to go out with the family or more then 1 friend isn't a total turd. Part of me wants to get something nicer since we are doing well and part of me is still scared shitless that at any moment it could coming crashing down again. I think that being laid off was one of the best things that happened to me as it taught me that anyone at any time is replaceable. Even though we never had to worry about putting food on the table or being able to making a mortgage payment it makes you consider how much worse it could have been.

Again I appreciate all of the advice on the car and the concern on my well being! Means a lot coming from a group like LP. I will keep you guys posted on what I do and don't mind me posting every White/Red car I find on ebay.

I dont know much about new BMW's, but I actually test drove 4 different 328xi's in the last week (coworker friend of mine is looking for one), so we have been to a couple dealerships already. I was surprised at how much I liked them and how "zippy" they felt, as I wasnt expecting much at all. I thought you had to go up to the 335i's to get some of that "fun to drive" factor, but I liked them alot. :icon_thumleft: Was not a powerhouse or anything, but scoooted and sounded so good that I found myself constantly stomping on the gas from light to light.

Cant help you with the M3 advice buddy, as I have actually been curious about them myself! (enjoying learning about them in this thread!). Best of luck in your search! :)

Dude my wife's 335i has no folding rear seat, and it is SO stiff I hate to take it on road trips! I enjoy driving it for 10-20 minutes but after that, my back takes a beating. Love the torque though

I bought my '11 BMW 328xi coupe in Feb '12 as it was a new left over on the dealer lot and I have been loving it. I originally wanted a 335xi and test drove both cars to get a comparison. In the end, I couldn't justify paying the extra $7000 for the turbo engine in the 335i. That is all it came down to for me because it was going to stretch my budget a bit. I need to be able to save some money as well. (That's why my name is Ryan335 - I had my mind set on my next BMW being the 335, but things worked out differently :aiwebs_004: )

At first, I thought I was settling for the "lower end" but soon realized that the 328xi is just fine for me. I hardly even get to use the horsepower the 328 has, and I'd be in the same situation with the 335i so I saved myself some money. For when I do get to use it, this car is fun to drive and really gets going quickly. Sport mode feels very responsive and it handles great. I am liking the AWD a lot too. I have no issues about traction in wet and although I've yet to see any real snow in it, I'm confident it will handle its own. On dry roads, it comes close to feeling RWD because the power is distributed accordingly.

The 328xi is a great car and I am happy with my purchase. Of course I'd love to have an M3, and hopefully someday I can enjoy one. If that's what you go for, I don't think you will be disappointed with it either. Its an awesome car, and the white/red is a great combo. Good luck with the vehicle hunting!

One thing I will say is though the M3 is awesome the 335 platform is no slouch. We just got a '13 335 vert. Car is fun out of the box. Daily is fine for my wife, sport mode for me when I drive it. If it were my daily just drop in a juice box and you are good to go.

Hannibal,

Just as an fyi, if you are considering another BMW like a 335i convertible (6-speed manual, black exterior, black interior), I'm ''considering'' selling my 2008 335 vert.

This is EASILY one of the hottest 335 verts out there, if I may say so myself. :D

Here's some pics: http://razzi.me/a/1650

Love the car, but just don't drive it that much anymore, so might decide to sell it.

It's got sweet mods, including full Brembo Gran Turismo BBKs, KW V3 coilovers, Eisenmann Race exhaust, E93 M3 suspension parts, etc.

One thing I will say is though the M3 is awesome the 335 platform is no slouch. We just got a '13 335 vert. Car is fun out of the box. Daily is fine for my wife, sport mode for me when I drive it. If it were my daily just drop in a juice box and you are good to go.

Have the fixed the fuel pump yet on the 335/535s?

I love the dual clutch setup on the M3 but hate the cheap plastics in the car. Interior on the M3 is a real disappointment. The CF trim is just a CF clothe, not made with resin. I was like, what is this?

The earlier year M3 are mostly stick shift. If this is the family car, make sure that's what you want.

Lastly, congrats on getting back to your feet. :)

They have not from what I understand.

I have gone through only one thus far but mine is a 2007 sedan.

My wife drives it like a granny during the week and I drive it on the weekends generally.

Really fun car. Also you can have M3 performance with Intake/DP/Tune which is under $2000 new

and installed

They have not from what I understand.

I have gone through only one thus far but mine is a 2007 sedan.

My wife drives it like a granny during the week and I drive it on the weekends generally.

Really fun car. Also you can have M3 performance with Intake/DP/Tune which is under $2000 new

and installed

they have not fixed it, i had a 335i and went through 3 fuel pumps, it got lemoned. 2 were of the newer design. A lot of it has to do with your usage. I would drive it 4 days a week and have it sit 3...the pump is under high pressure, for a fast start for emissions and the seals fail if the car sits.

i think they changed the supplier in the newer car and also it's now a single turbo instead of a tt, but has some different engineering for the turbo system (i'm not sure of specifics). Either way whereas my 09 535 had significant turbolag, I feel none in the '13 335 vert.

Funny story, when my 535 finally went into limp mode from that problem it drove like a 1983 civic and it happened on my way to Beverly Hills to pick up Adam76 at the SLS hotel to go to the Aventador unveiling in Santa Monica. So I go to pick him up and I was horribly embarrassed because the car felt like a piece of shit despite being a new bimmmer with about 5k miles on it. Adam was like, "yeah, I've never had a BMW and after seeing this I don't think I'll be getting one."

My 335i does have some lag, but when that turbo hits, the torque is pretty significant. I have to drive an E90 m3 to see if its worth the premium

TONS of great advice in here guys. I really appreciate all of the info! I am a bit bummed to hear that they still haven't fixed the issues with the High Pressure Fuel Pumps yet. I knew of that from before and figured they would have sorted it out for sure already.

I think I am going to hold off for now on the car. I have been talking about going back to school for my MBA for awhile now and I think I want to ear mark the money towards that. Maybe M3 Money + MBA = Lambo....

Work is still going well and I should be on the next project (Brahka Units 1-4) which will free up plenty of extra spending money for a car or an education. If work goes south or I get bored I'd rather be able to step out in the summer and get ready for a fall enrollment schedule and have the cash on hand then have to sell the car to free it up.

As always this group is the best for solid advice! Thanks a ton.

TONS of great advice in here guys. I really appreciate all of the info! I am a bit bummed to hear that they still haven't fixed the issues with the High Pressure Fuel Pumps yet. I knew of that from before and figured they would have sorted it out for sure already.

I think I am going to hold off for now on the car. I have been talking about going back to school for my MBA for awhile now and I think I want to ear mark the money towards that. Maybe M3 Money + MBA = Lambo....

Work is still going well and I should be on the next project (Brahka Units 1-4) which will free up plenty of extra spending money for a car or an education. If work goes south or I get bored I'd rather be able to step out in the summer and get ready for a fall enrollment schedule and have the cash on hand then have to sell the car to free it up.

As always this group is the best for solid advice! Thanks a ton.

School is always good, especially when you are considering a change in path. It is very expensive though. I did mine part time while working and got my employer to pay about 1/2 of the tuition. There are a lot of EMBA programs out there. You may want to consider that too. GL!

i think they changed the supplier in the newer car and also it's now a single turbo instead of a tt, but has some different engineering for the turbo system (i'm not sure of specifics). Either way whereas my 09 535 had significant turbolag, I feel none in the '13 335 vert.

Funny story, when my 535 finally went into limp mode from that problem it drove like a 1983 civic and it happened on my way to Beverly Hills to pick up Adam76 at the SLS hotel to go to the Aventador unveiling in Santa Monica. So I go to pick him up and I was horribly embarrassed because the car felt like a piece of shit despite being a new bimmmer with about 5k miles on it. Adam was like, "yeah, I've never had a BMW and after seeing this I don't think I'll be getting one."

The fuel pump issue is specific only to the tt 6 cylinder, the newer single turbo design is fine. If you have a problem on the older engine BMW extends out the warranty to 100,000 miles.