Catalyst overheat warning

topjay

Any ideas what would cause this, never seen it before.

Just cruising on the highway at 70-100 mph not hard use or accelerations, etc. Get that warning and total loss of power, stayed on for about 30 secs. Limped to the next exit, pulled over turned car off for 5 mins now all seems fine.

Going to send back to the dealer but should i be worried?

Also whilst talking problems here is a couple more if people have thoughts, very irritating:

Brake pedal goes totally hard, almost unuesable hard, as in you cant press it in enough to get the car to start if you leave it unused for about a week, ok if less than that. As soon as car starts goes soft again.

From cold start, misfire sounds like not running on all cylinders & runs real rough and not wanting to start even if used the day before. Turn it off and back on again immediately and it starts fine.

• 6 years later...

Took the bull out today after sitting for a awhile....(2016 Aventador: very low miles)

Had this message today: white "Catalyst overheat" message, cruising on the freeway cool temps (+10c : 50f).

Then I get a "Start Stop" disabled icon followed by a yellow ESC off. Shifted from 5th gear to 6th gear it all goes away...

Is this just spurious warning lights or a sign of something more?

Either a dodgy catalyst sensor or exhaust valve stuck closed I reckon, the start stop fault is usually a exhaust valve issue of some sort either stick open or closed. 

thanx topjay, that makes sense because soon as I shifted gears which changed the RPM, it all goes away. And now that I think of it the exhaust sound did change too.

Appreciate the input...RDW

14 hours ago, Destructo said:

Yeah,  I thought this was a circumstance that led to a few cars burning up. 

Are you referencing the fuel system recall that caused the fires was due to trapped fuel vapour? that recall was done awhile ago.

1 hour ago, RDW said:

Are you referencing the fuel system recall that caused the fires was due to trapped fuel vapour? that recall was done awhile ago.

Good! I knew a recall but I didn't think that was the one. I may have been the Murcielago issue more.

some nice vehicles went up in flames...I hope I'm not counted in that number (fingers & toes crossed)

My bet is a bad ignition coil. What is common on the Murci, is when the spark gets weak, the already rich fuel trims get even more rich, then excess unburnt fuel goes into the cats where the fuel is burned and the cats overheat and put the car in limp mode. The fact that your car misfires supports that it is likely not getting a strong spark. 

Been a while since I've been on guys and have since moved to another Lambo dealer on the east coast. Nonetheless, hopefully my input will help here. 9/10, this error is result of a faulty catalyst ecu and/or thermocouple. Each bank has a control unit that monitors the exhaust temperature. If the vehicle sees a variance of more than XX degrees between the two readings, it will trigger this error. Your stop/start malfunction message will appears anytime a fault is logged in the OBD memory. 

Please note if there is an aftermarket exhaust installed that consists of catalyst elimination or the fuel level is extremely low, this could also cause the warning. Typically if the fuel level is that low, you'll also get some misfires and rough running that occur. 

29 minutes ago, BHLambo said:

Been a while since I've been on guys and have since moved to another Lambo dealer on the east coast. Nonetheless, hopefully my input will help here. 9/10, this error is result of a faulty catalyst ecu and/or thermocouple. Each bank has a control unit that monitors the exhaust temperature. If the vehicle sees a variance of more than XX degrees between the two readings, it will trigger this error. Your stop/start malfunction message will appears anytime a fault is logged in the OBD memory. 

Please note if there is an aftermarket exhaust installed that consists of catalyst elimination or the fuel level is extremely low, this could also cause the warning. Typically if the fuel level is that low, you'll also get some misfires and rough running that occur. 

Good to have you back. PM me if you'd like a new Screen name.

3 hours ago, LamboCharlotte said:

excellent input, for me it happened only once so far and that was the last time out, car is parked for maybe awhile (wet coast weather up here). But just as you stated Catalyst Overheat then the associated start/stop malfunction, went away with a gear shift which I'm assuming changed the exhaust output. Will be watching for another occurrence when I get the car out, if it does then off to the dealership for a diagnosis (still under warranty)

There was a campaign to replace the thermocouples and ECUs which applied to just about all Aventadors up to and including '16 MY. I've still seen a few failures after the campaign has been completed. I'd recommend to monitor and take it in if it returns. Might not be a bad idea to shoot your service rep an email just to document that it occurred. I would recommend checking to see when your warranty expires to avoid any potential financial burden. With that being said, Lambo does a great job of backing their product. If the failure occurred outside warranty, personally I would request factory assistance for a customer given it's a known issue.

1 hour ago, LamboCharlotte said:

There was a campaign to replace the thermocouples and ECUs which applied to just about all Aventadors up to and including '16 MY. I've still seen a few failures after the campaign has been completed. I'd recommend to monitor and take it in if it returns. Might not be a bad idea to shoot your service rep an email just to document that it occurred. I would recommend checking to see when your warranty expires to avoid any potential financial burden. With that being said, Lambo does a great job of backing their product. If the failure occurred outside warranty, personally I would request factory assistance for a customer given it's a known issue.

Thank you again, I'm going to do just that...

I'm good until May 2019 warranty wise

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Its an older tread, but I am also experiencing this issue now, and thought check in. I have a 2013 Aventador, no aftermarket exhaust, 9000 miles now, and did the recall 6 months ago (related to the cold junction repositioning), and a 1000 miles later i all of a sudden got the catalyst overheat warning. My reader stated 3 codes, P11EB, (manufacturer defined) P11ED, (manufacturer defined) and P0546 (exhaust gas temp sensor high). See attached

I called the dealership here in Texas, they stated the normal "have to take it in to have a look and assess". Been waiting for almost 2 weeks now, and still not able to get an appointment with these guys, so started to explore other routes.

My local (exotic) workshop has stated that it looks like all the cat temp codes for one cylinder bank is defaulted.

This the ECU or the exhaust gas sensor(s) / thermocouple that needs to be replaced? Anyone have any input on the going prices / time for having these repairs done?

I fear they messed up something during the recall, never had any issues with my car ever before.

Pleased to hear

Brdgs Andre

Aventador error codes.pdf

6 minutes ago, Niko's Car said:

Hello everyone,

Its an older tread, but I am also experiencing this issue now, and thought check in. I have a 2013 Aventador, no aftermarket exhaust, 9000 miles now, and did the recall 6 months ago (related to the cold junction repositioning), and a 1000 miles later i all of a sudden got the catalyst overheat warning. My reader stated 3 codes, P11EB, (manufacturer defined) P11ED, (manufacturer defined) and P0546 (exhaust gas temp sensor high). See attached

I called the dealership here in Texas, they stated the normal "have to take it in to have a look and assess". Been waiting for almost 2 weeks now, and still not able to get an appointment with these guys, so started to explore other routes.

My local (exotic) workshop has stated that it looks like all the cat temp codes for one cylinder bank is defaulted.

This the ECU or the exhaust gas sensor(s) / thermocouple that needs to be replaced? Anyone have any input on the going prices / time for having these repairs done?

I fear they messed up something during the recall, never had any issues with my car ever before.

Pleased to hear

Brdgs Andre

Aventador error codes.pdf 153.29 kB · 0 downloads

Just to be clear, the recall was completed by the authorized dealership, and then they are pushing you off two weeks with the new error?

Myself, I'd be raising hell about it, because  if you're a good customer and having a potentially serious issue, it should be taken care of, ASAP. I understand a backlog due to COVID bullshit, but still. They should get you squared away.

I'd keep hounding the dealership. 

Its Lamborghini Houston, they are a nightmare.... Most people around here dont use them as they constantly f&*^*&% up our cars.... As this is a recall, I kind of had to take it in with them.

In fact, they claimed they had changed out a lot of the mechanics as well as general service staff to "repair" their broken image, but so far they are still providing same disappointing service. 

More than likely they will give me a repair bill if i take it in with them, but my even greater fear would be that they mess up something else while doing it.

When I received my car after the recall, my window tint was damaged. They just dont car for cars, other dealership like BMW, Audi, Porsche are miles ahead of Lamborghini Houston.....

Those codes are clearly not normal. I. just had a video on this (see below). My car is back & repaired. There should be no way that they replaced the sensors & relocated & the issue is back again.   If you car has been serviced, the campaign should have been done but maybe it is like my case where somehow it was missed. The issue is related to 2 sensors one for each bank that are located in a place where they can get too hot and basically puts the car into limp mode.  My Anniversary Aventador is back for relocation of the sensors and car is all good.

If they in fact replaced the sensor and they are bad again at 1000 miles, Lambo corporate needs to hear about this and the service you're getting. No BUENO!  Good luck man. Hope this gets solved quickly. Not a good feeling being without the use of your car.

Perhaps try contacting William Gonzales of Lamborghini North America?  He’s the after-sales manager.