double wing countach

emilio

i am trying to compile a list of the countach with the front wing and rear boomerang bumper configuration.

these cars were essentialy euro cars, modified in US by Lamborghini America ( the official US importer then, the biggest name behind this company was "Jas" Rarewala) in the early 80's to meet period US safety regulations.

i know there were some cars with these features, from my researches all LP400S (series II and III).

any additional infos and help appreciated

in this pic you can spot Rarewala with one of the countach he imported to US

post-4328-1351501266.jpg

the most famous double wing car is without a doubt the "Cannonball" movie star

this car was born in the black-naturale combination

it is a LP400S SII

VIN 1121112

the car has the usual equipment: front wing, rear boomerang bumper and US side markers

it also spots a 12 tips exahust and additional lights under the front wing (but i think those were "owner's modifications" and not part of the "original" Lamborghini North America package-applications)

this countach S was recently restored by AutoItalia and there is site dedicated to the car and the restoration worcks

http://www.cannonballcountach.com/

post-4328-1351502703.jpg

post-4328-1351502738.jpg

As Fortis, I do not like the double wing very much too, but it's a feature that reminds very much the cannonball car so it's a plus for who is searching a cannonball like car.

I do not like the LP400 narrow wheels too, but it still costs twice or three time my car... so maybe it worths more money than a standard LP400S or LP5000S.

ciao

I was talking about the front wing, I love the look of the Countach :icon_thumleft:

what i mean is that in some way all the countach after the LP400 have a look that is "ridicolous" in some ways....the flares, spoiler, rear wing, skirts...to some they are all "too much"...to some extent countach could be considered a caricature of a supercar! ;)

we should remember even the "holy" LP400 was not elegant enough for many car collectors till few years ago! :eusa_think:

The countach is a love-hate car, it is just a question of where one draws the line of the "too much", the moment where the car is not more appealing but exagerated .

to some it is the flares , to some the rear wing, the skirts ...etc

some goes for the anniversario....many loves them, but to some countach fan it was "beyond the good taste"

same goes for the front wing...love or hate, as usual with the countach :)

personally i think it looks better in person

i am sure the main reason i like it is because of the CANNONBALL RUN....that movie is part of the countach history today :icon_thumleft:

Wish i could help you with the VINs.... i love the look. I also am glad it was not done to many cars. For the longest time i thought

the "Cannonball" car was the only one and was excited when i found out it wasn't.

_T2eC16F___kE9s4Z_URLBQH9_t2tn___60_12.JPG

lp400s19.jpg

I like the double wing!

Looks silly looking at it now, but in the over indulgent 1980's why have one wing when you can have 2. When I saw it in the 80's i was drooling.

Some people are always pontificating on here about the authenticity of the CT design.....once fat wheels and wheel arches were added they all look beefed up from there on in....and imho look better for it. The only major aesthetic change is the side skirts, which everyone slags the 25th for, and yet the 88.5 gets utmost respect for ??? The changes to the fan ventilation on the 25th are a vast improvement over the earlier more dated design, and the same with the front spoiler. The rear lights are simply a design, and one isn't more crude than the other but for sure one looks more modern than the other, and that was the sole purpose.

The LP400 was the first, and had the impact hence, but holy grail ?? I personally don't think it looks anywhere near as good as the later cars....if they were the same value which would you take ?

IMHO the only thing that takes away from the CT is a wing (let alone two)....it goes from a classic design to an RC silhouette. Look at the side profile and the change with or without is one that completely alters the cars persona.

Would you do it to your car?

It doesn't seem to work on other models besides the S2 or S3... maybe since those are the ones that originally had them

it just sems to fit on them better. A few later cars, like the some QV's (Allens in fact), have had a few different front wings added and they just don't look good. Not sure why but it is really good looking on a lowbody imo. With it sticking up from the

front end it visually "pushes" the front down making it Seem even lower.

DSC06697.jpg

If you restoring the car and you want to stay true to the original I understand, personally I dislike it and I wouldn't have it on my car but we all different and that's the beauty of it.

back on topic

i am sure there was one white S2 with darck interior with 2 wings

as well as at least 2 red cars

i am looking for VINs

Old picture of one.

Is this one still sitting in a warehouse? Or did they restore it/sell it?

I like the wing on the early cars, but to be fair probably only because of the Cannonball car. It would be awesome to have one of the few that came with it (or rather had it added in US). Personally I would not put it on a car that did not get the treatment, nor would I remove it from one that did.

There was a guy that used to have a white one that posted on the boards way back when... I will try to see if I can find the postings. I think it was white with red interior.

Is this one still sitting in a warehouse? Or did they restore it/sell it?

I like the wing on the early cars, but to be fair probably only because of the Cannonball car. It would be awesome to have one of the few that came with it (or rather had it added in US). Personally I would not put it on a car that did not get the treatment, nor would I remove it from one that did.

There was a guy that used to have a white one that posted on the boards way back when... I will try to see if I can find the postings. I think it was white with red interior.

My first Countach was white/red and had the front wing. As mentioned elsewhere it was done to satisfy regulations as a 'front bumper' lol. I always liked it as it was done to a mini exact match of the rear and it was more outrage on an already outrageous car! Aloha here, haven't been around much as I am Lambo-less and not much talk here about the other marques I've drifted into. Hope you are all well amigos.

It doesn't seem to work on other models besides the S2 or S3... maybe since those are the ones that originally had them

it just sems to fit on them better. A few later cars, like the some QV's (Allens in fact), have had a few different front wings added and they just don't look good. Not sure why but it is really good looking on a lowbody imo. With it sticking up from the

front end it visually "pushes" the front down making it Seem even lower.

My car was not the one with the front wing fitted. There was an identical car in NYC with one.