Not a good start to Diablo ownership ...

phxdiablo

Well I haven't had this car yet a week and I am having problems.

I backed the car out of my garage today so I could clean the garage. When I started the car back up to pull it in, I noticed an odd engine noise, almost like metal on metal when your brakes are bad. It wasn't scorching loud but it was concerning and was new. It sounded like a noise a bad alternator would have.

So I pulled the car back into the garage and popped the hood to see if I can determine the location of the sound.

About 30 seconds later the car just dies out. (While in neutral).

Now, it won't even start or turn over.

Anyone experience this in their 6.0?

If this is what Lambo ownership is all about, I'm probably gonna be a short-lived owner even though I love the car. I am anti-Drama and 1 week in, its been all drama.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark m

Starter may have stayed engaged, Does the key spring back to on, after starting?

The car wont start. It died out when I had the engine running in the garage. Then upon trying to re-start, nothing happens. The interior warning lights go on, a click, then nothing.

Starter may have stayed engaged, Does the key spring back to on, after starting?

When attempting, yes, the key goes back. But nothing happens.

How many miles does this car have? Id suspect it is low mile car, that hasnt been driven often, most likely sat around for quite sometime. I always tell people, buy cars that have been driven and maintained, you will be alot more happy. But the same holds true for all cars, not just Lambos.

Well I haven't had this car yet a week and I am having problems.

I backed the car out of my garage today so I could clean the garage.  When I started the car back up to pull it in, I noticed an odd engine noise, almost like metal on metal when your brakes are bad.  It wasn't scorching loud but it was concerning and was new.  It sounded like a noise a bad alternator would have.

So I pulled the car back into the garage and popped the hood to see if I can determine the location of the sound.

About 30 seconds later the car just dies out. (While in neutral).

Now, it won't even start or turn over.

Anyone experience this in their 6.0?

If this is what Lambo ownership is all about, I'm probably gonna be a short-lived owner even though I love the car.  I am anti-Drama and 1 week in, its been all drama.

Did this car come from the dealer in Scottsdale, AZ??

Let's start with the easy stuff:

Check the oil, see if there are signs of shavings or coolant conatmination.

Check the coolant overflow reservoir tank to see if there are signs of oil.

What we're looking for is the possibility of a catastrophic failure of a head gasket, which, although unlikely, could have seized the motor.

Of course, this is very unlikely. If I had to guess, I'd say that the starter was still partially engaged when the car was running and now it is busted, hence no turn over.

For more peace of mind, you could pull each spark plug (no easy job on a 6.0, but not impossible) and examine each plug tip for signs of plug breakage, or cylinder contamination.

Again, I'd guess a starter was killed.

I'd guess a starter was killed.

Great. Thats an 8K job from what I hear. The starter is under the engine and requires the engine to be removed. :(

Who is your mechanic? Where are you and the car located?

I am hardly the mechanical type, but if the car started at first, and was running, why would the starter still be in play? And, why would the car die as a result of a bad starter, once it was idling? (Excuse my complete ignorance if there is an obvious answer).

One thing that has fascinated me about the engine in the 6.0 is the "Carter" motor. It apparently has something to do with the start up sequence, throttle position on start-up and it travels, mechancially, along a shaft. Just wondering if this little motor tanked, could it kill the car at idle, and then prevent it from restarting?

Oh, yeah, and one other thought. While it might not have anything to do with the noise you heard, or be the real culprit, if the battery is anything less than absolutely fully charged up the wazoo, you could have a problem starting the car. When mine was delivered, it had a battery that was 2 or 3 weeks old, but the car had been sitting, then was on a truck to me, then sat in the mechanic's garage, then back on a truck to my house. So, the car wouldn't start simply because there was not enough juice, even though the electricals, etc. would operate. A battery tender ultimately solved that, which may be a secondary problem, nothing dramatic.

Hope your solution is undramatic. This is my first Lambo, after alot of other exotics (mainly Ferrari) and so far so good- one bad shock after 2k miles, 'cest la vie. It's a wonderful car. (BTW, i had endless problems at first with a 550 M due to the dealer's failure to properly go over the car- a slightly used one at the time- before it was delivered to me. It broke down several times, all chicken-shit stuff for the most part, and once it got fettled finally, it was a solid runner. Don't get too distressed yet- ....

Thx for everyone's feedback. I actually bought a 6.0 because it came well recommended and supposedly is the most reliable Diablo out there.

Whart, I do not have a mechanic yet ... I've had the car 1 week and I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale Arizona. Motorsports Scottsdale is the authorized Lambo dealer and I heard bad things about them ... I fear having to take it there. The dealer I bought it at does have a mechanic who used to work for Symbolic in La Jolla so may need to bring it there.

So that is problem #1 - I don't have a trusted mechanic to take this to (yet).

As for this problem, Craig's explanation seems logical although it doesn't explain the sudden engine kill. I checked the oil and it is cleaner than expected. No metal shavings, nothing out of the ordinary.

I have a heavy set of keys; perhaps when I started it, the ignition wasn't full put to the ON position and the weight of the keys was slowly pushing the ignition toward a start position. Can this thing be that temperamental?

If so, that would explain the metal type noise I heard on idle - I'd speculate it evolved within the starter or alternator vs the engine. If so, then why the F*CK would the engine just flat out and die? Ughh .... what was going to be a nice, enjoyable weekend just turned sour ... :(

Could the sound you heard at startup been a belt by chance? Did you pop off the the cover and inspect the belt?

You can access the starter by removing a little cover (3 screws) on the driver side rear part of the car and could easily test it to make sure it is working. You can purchase a remote starter at Kragen's or Pep Boys for about $20 and try it out. This would certainly determine if the starter is a culprit.

Good luck!

BTW- did you purchase an extended warranty with your car. When it comes to exotics, I always think it is a no-brainer to get an extended warranty. I purchased one last year when I got my 6.0, and it added value to the car when I went to sell it because it was transferable....

If it was me just to be at ease, I would put the car in gear and try to push it. Not to start it, but to see if the motor turns over. I wouldn't be able to rest not knowing if the motor is locked up or not.

Ironically, Bob Wallace, the ultimate Lambo guy, is near you, i think, but i'm not so sure he takes work, or even works on the newer cars- but, there have got to be some first rate people in your area. Perhaps that's what you should focus on; put up a separate posting for recommended L mechanics in your area on the general section of this board- also, I have had great experience with Wil de Groot in NJ; you might give him a call, at my recommendation, and simply ask him who he'd recommend in your area.

Obviously, if the car is just one week in your hands, i would think your dealer would help you get to the bottom of the problem with minimal pain- even if warranties, express or implied were disclaimed, only to maintain goodwill with you, and others in the community who you might otherwise turn against that dealer. I know you posted elsewhere here about your purchase, but who did you buy from, and have you talked to them about this? FWIW, I am a relatively new 6.0 owner myself, and i feel for you- so if there is anything i can do to help, i will certainly try.

One other dumb idea- when i first got the car, nobody explained the electronic disabling system so i was baffled when i tried to start the car, even though i had not activated the alarm or lock-out system. Turns out you have to push that little button on the key fob, even if you did not activate it- before i learned this, the car wouldn't start a few times, and once, i did get it started, but alot of functions were locked out- like the power windows. Hmmm- just checking in case it's something really stupid, which could be a good thing....

Could the sound you heard at startup been a belt by chance? Did you pop off the the cover and inspect the belt?

Yes, they are fine.

No I didn't purchase an extended warranty. I didn't buy the car new, nor was I aware that a warranty could be bought.

So how do I remote start this thing specifically? I'm a mechanical novice and suspect that its something I could not do myself.

Or do I just chalk it up, call a tow-truck, and get it over with?

Ironically, Bob Wallace, the ultimate Lambo guy, is near you, i think, but i'm not so sure he takes work, or even works on the newer cars- but, there have got to be some first rate people in your area. Perhaps that's what you should focus on; put up a separate posting for recommended L mechanics in your area on the general section of this board- also, I have had great experience with Wil de Groot in NJ; you might give him a call, at my recommendation, and simply ask him who he'd recommend in your area.

Obviously, if the car is just one week in your hands, i would think your dealer would help you get to the bottom of the problem with minimal pain- even if warranties, express or implied were disclaimed, only to maintain goodwill with you, and others in the community who you might otherwise turn against that dealer. I know you posted elsewhere here about your purchase, but who did you buy from, and have you talked to them about this? FWIW, I am a relatively new 6.0 owner myself, and i feel for you- so if there is anything i can do to help, i will certainly try.

One other dumb idea- when i first got the car, nobody explained the electronic disabling system so i was baffled when i tried to start the car, even though i had not activated the alarm or lock-out system. Turns out you have to push that little button on the key fob, even if you did not activate it- before i learned this, the car wouldn't start a few times, and once, i did get it started, but alot of functions were locked out- like the power windows. Hmmm- just checking in case it's something really stupid, which could be a good thing....

Shart Thanks -- I actually did make a post a few weeks back asking for Lambo mechanic recommendations in Arizona -- Mr. Wallace was the only one recommended and it was told that he no longer accepts work.

I bought the car at Lotus Scottsdale who does have a mechanic on staff that is experienced with Lambos as he used to work at Symbolic in CA. I have yet to speak to the dealer about this -- they didn't answer their phone today as I suspect they are closed due to the holiday. Problem is, I don't know if I can trust them -- their post sale service has not been the best thus far.

As for a problem with the FOB, I only hope this is something stupid! However, I don't think it is - my intuition tells me its the starter.

I'll be the first to say, youd be the first starter failure id ever heard of. The first thing id do is make sure the motor is not locked up. Second, check the starter, very easy to do with the remote starter. Third, i would change from the heavy set of keys. Its not that the Diablo is tempermental, but all cars are. I had an ignition go out on a Cadillac due this same scenario. Also, check the battery. Have you tried starting it again?

I know Eric at Scottsdale lotus. Im sure i can talk to him for you.

I'll be the first to say, youd be the first starter failure id ever heard of. The first thing id do is make sure the motor is not locked up. Second, check the starter, very easy to do with the remote starter. Third, i would change from the heavy set of keys. Its not that the Diablo is tempermental, but all cars are. I had an ignition go out on a Cadillac due this same scenario. Also, check the battery. Have you tried starting it again?

I know Eric at Scottsdale lotus. Im sure i can talk to him for you.

Thx Allan. I've already changed the keys -- the Diablo will have its own set from now on!! Yes, I've tried starting it again, and again, and again. Same result. All lights go on and then just a click. Nothing.

As for checking the starter by using a remote starter, I don't have the slightest clue how to do this. I could probably do it on my Toyota but on this car? I don't even know where it is and how to set it up. With my luck, I'd short the entire electrical system.

I think I'm gonna have to wait until Tuesday and call Lotus Scottsdale cuz I don't think I'm going to learn Mechanics 101 in a few days.

Just a click? My guess, is battery. Do you have a battery charger? You can jump the car without getting to the battery. On the drivers side there will be a little black box, pull it up, and youll see a positive ground. Hook up the positive charge there, and the other anywhere you find a place. Then try starting it. If the battery is weak, it could cause the ECU to shut the car down.

Just a click? My guess, is battery. Do you have a battery charger? You can jump the car without getting to the battery. On the drivers side there will be a little black box, pull it up, and youll see a positive ground. Hook up the positive charge there, and the other anywhere you find a place. Then try starting it. If the battery is weak, it could cause the ECU to shut the car down.

I don't have a charger.

The battery seems logical, however why would a bad battery cause the abnormal noise I heard prior to engine shut down? This was all preempted by an odd metal noise I heard when I started the car -- 5 minutes later, the car went dead.

Nonetheless, Ill go buy a charger and give it a shot.

Guest mark m

If the starter remained engaged, it would cause a huge drain on the elec system, dropping the voltage, soon the ign system would shut down, stalling the car.

Did you try pushing the car in gear?  Is the motor locked?

So I put the car in first gear and push it out of the garage? If it moves, the motor is ok. If it doesn't move, the motor is locked?