Another Sad Day for the Lambo Community

Andrew R.

Scotty, I cannot agree with you more.. Charlie was one heck of a guy.. met him in 2005 at Italian Cars at Pocono when has asked if he could check out my Diablo, explaining that he had been looking to get a roadster - about a year or so later he had his dark blue one. Charlie fit right into the lambo crew from the day I met him.. always helpful to anyone where he could be. This past April when you met Charlie and I at Applebees for lunch next to Evans Auto we had just dropped off my Miura - just two days before that I called Charlie to ask advice on the area the car was in, and which airport to fly into. Charlie explained that it was just a couple hours from him to and forget hiring a transport, he told me to fly into Baltimore airport, stay at his place for the night, the next morning we would take his truck and trailer to pick up the car, and take it where ever it needed to go. And that's what we did.. the guy didn't want to even take gas money, he loved spending time with cars and his car friends in his retirement.

Like many other things this year, another tragic loss.

As I am sure many of you feel.. our car friends often become extended family.

What a neat story. I hope to be that type of guy when I am retired! RIP

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The member you are thinking of is probably N5TM (or something like that) but iirc he had a rosso andromeda LP640 coupe.

Super sad....RIP

Charles was one of the nicest people you could ever know. He was not only a client of ours at Evans Auto, but he was a dear friend. Him and his wife Janie would always come down to the house whaen they were in town. So much fun to be around. They helped us every year at our Charity car show, The Itailan Gathering, Charles won serveral peoples choice awards with his Blue Roadster and his Rossa Vic Murci Roadster.

He will be sadly missed by many but especially this person. My heart goes out To Janie and his family for such a tradgic lose, especially around the Holidays.

RIP Charles.

The member you are thinking of is probably N5TM (or something like that) but iirc he had a rosso andromeda LP640 coupe.

You are correct, my apologies.

Oh man, this is sad news. :(

Have had the pleasure of meeting Charlie a few times at various events and he was always a class guy. One of my favorite moments was driving behind his blue Diablo roadster in the rain...what an awesome sound that car made. When he added the Murci roadster to the stable, I remember him going on a rant about his escapades trying to figure out how to put that Murci soft-top on...lol

Really great guy and my condolences to his family, friends, and loved ones. May he rest in peace.

Here are some pics of his blue Diablo roadster and Murci roadster:

ca08175.jpg

4b446a9.jpg

I can not express my grief. Even though I only spoke to Charlie once a year at Pocono we spent untold hours together at the show. A truly good soul. Last year he showed up with his red Murci roadster with all his brothers so they could all play golf together. A true loss to both the community and to humanity. We will be spending the xmas holidays with my wife's family in the northern VA area so we will be going to his viewing on the 26th.

Can anybody tell me even by PM what the surgery was for or any other circumstances surrounding what append. I am truly devastated.

Charlie and I met at the the Italian Gathering in 2008, it was a click right away. We spend every fall planning our get togethers since that meeting, planning dinners, drives. Etc. You could not meet a nicer couple, we had planned to o the Toys for Tots drive in Miami one year together. He has a place in Ft. Lauderdale so we planned to hang out at his place for he weekend. He will be missed. Here is a note from his wife Janie that was sent out to a few of us......

Thank all of you Prayer Warriors for a spectacular job on behalf of Chuck in his fight against cancer.

Never underestimate the power of prayer for without it I doubt we would have this positive outcome.

I pray thanks that this young man, Dr. Dean, was born into this world, was a serious student and found

his way to Baltimore to be there for us twelve days ago. He said as surgeries go, this was right up there

as one of the most difficult he's had to perform. The MRI did not show the size of the tumor or the fact that

it was wrapped around the Renal Artery, although they suspected it was somehow involving the Aorta or Vena Cava.

The first day they removed a piece of bone from his hip to use for bone grafts. They next screwed in the rods to the

vertebra above and below L1. They cut a channel in L1 but could not turn and lift it off of the spinal cord, so they

did some preliminary work for the next days surgery, found the problem at the Renal Artery and made the decision

to instead of entering from the front, to enter from the right side. They closed him up. Surgery lasted a bit over 5 1/2 hrs.

The next day they cut between the two lower ribs, removed the bottom rib, collapsed the right lung and moved his

internal organs out of the way so they had room to work.

Two hours into the 2nd surgery the computer that monitored the nervous system crashed. They tried to troubleshoot

it but had to wait for another computer and program to be installed before proceeding. Parts of this surgery are done

blind, Accupuncture needles are inserted up and down his arms, legs and body. They are attatched to wires that feed

info to the computer and warn of any nerves are being traumatized so the surgeon knows to approach from another angle.

Since the most dangerous part for a patient is coming out of Anesthesia, it was decided to just allow him to remain under

while the problem was worked out, so close to 3PM surgery continued. The tumor had grown its own blood supply.

Thats what tumors do and why they are so successful in overtaking things. The veins in this one were a tangled mass, like

spaghetti, and too big to cauterize so each had to be severed and tied. The bleeding necessitated a transfusion (not uncommon)

but became overwhelming and they could not suction it out fast enough. The decision was made that they had to get the tumor

out now or he would bleed out. Unraveling this thing was a true challenge but with the Grace of God, was accomplished.

About the size of an orange, it filled the container they brought to put it in. A prosthesis vertebra was secured in place, organs

replaced where they belonged, lung reinflated and the wounds closed. Surgery was over at 10:30PM.

When they took him up to CCU, the tube was still in his throat but by 1:30 he was breathing on his own and it was removed.

The drugs made him sleep so soundly that he's forget to breathe and the alarm brought in an army of nurses who started yelling

at him to wake up, slapping his shoulder and face, and he'd awake and say "okay" and start to breathe. These God Blessed

women worked in unison, with precision and capability that inspired confidence in me. All through the night they calmly tended

to his needs knowing just what to do in answer to any alarm that went off. I am in awe of them and grateful beyond measure.

The days have passed slowly, tubes have been removed, tubes put back in, medicine doses adjusted, careful monitoring daily

with new challenges and progress to be happy about. Saturday he sat up on the edge of the bed for almost 5 minutes,

Sunday for 10 AND he put his feet on the floor, the next day he stood too. Tuesday he was able to walk to the chair. He had

been going to Physical Therapy but has not since Thursday. Small setbacks are not alarming as they are expected but it is a

bit discouraging to the patient. He is weak. He has little appetite. He is alive and can move all his limbs. It was anticipated

Chuck would be in the hospital 7 to 10 days. Right now, it looks like he will possibly be released on Monday and will go to a

Sub Acute Care Center that has yet to be determined, hopefully one in our area will have space for him at this time. There are

a number of good facilities here. We here in Baltimore can complain about the weather, the Orioles, the Ravens but cannot

possibly complain about a lack of superior, world class hospitals and health care available to us. We are so blessed!

I hear a fox yipping in the woods, our family symbol, funny how comforting I find that. I went out to investigate but could not

see him. Maybe Santa will bring me some night vision binoculars. A gentle rain is falling, refreshing the Earth for another day

of spinning through time. The things you can count on. Like I counted on all of you to help us pray our way through this

ordeal. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and ask God's Blessings on each of you too.

Please pass the word of Chuck's progress. I do not have everyones email programed into my computer and some even come back with a

"Mailer Demon" message so I've put them in wrong. Someday I'll get around to fixing them but not in the near future.

Love to all! j

=

RIP