Hey D. Wiggs...

Kisco

Why the use of an x pipe design?

It's the best design available for reasons I'm not smart enough to explain in detail except it produces the best sound blending both engine banks together and maybe some kind of scavenging effect ?

I'm more curious about the diameter but it looks really cool

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:icon_mrgreen:

Just for you buddy...

And thanks, Bronze might look pretty cool!

Thanks very neat set-up, I saw an install where they installed the canisters in the front trunk :eusa_wall: I feel much better now, do you like the KW's?

Thanks very neat set-up, I saw an install where they installed the canisters in the front trunk :eusa_wall: I feel much better now, do you like the KW's?

Monarchy had installed his Moton canisters in the front trunk of his TT-G and also the rear engine compartment. Really not that big of an issue since Moton was able to dial in the suspension pretty well. The remote canisters just ran hosing back to the main shocks.

I know but I hate hacking up a new car when you could do a neat job as NASA did for D.Wiggs :icon_mrgreen:

You don't have to, in any case, good luck in whatever you decide.

epcp_0712_12_z%202006_lamborghini_gallardo_twin_turbo%20trunk.jpg

epcp_0712_04_z%202006_lamborghini_gallardo_twin_turbo%20turbocharged_engine.jpg

It's the best design available for reasons I'm not smart enough to explain in detail except it produces the best sound blending both engine banks together and maybe some kind of scavenging effect ?

I'm more curious about the diameter but it looks really cool

The simple explanation, is that after the X, you effectively double the volume of the exhaust pipe for the pulses to travel through. This in only useful in vehicles without paired cylinder firing, so it's totally pointless on a viper, as the left and right banks have cylinders firing together.

The key to this is remember, exhaust flow is not constant like a water pipe, everything comes in pulses. If those pulses alternate, one hits the X and is divided into two pips vs. a single, with a longer frequency between pulses. It's a bit of a scavenging effect, and does a little to smooth out the L & R banks in terms of sound.

On a turbo car, it doesn't do shit for anything but aesthetics.

For the pipes in the picture, it's quite odd that they decrease in diameter after the V-Band. Not sure if they do this from the factory to increase flow through the cats or what.

Sounds pretty good Emanon.

I definitely have to disagree on the x-pipe not helping turbo cars though, it did help me before. I ran just a straight pipe on a Turbo Porsche coming off each Turbo straight back and then ran a x-pipe configuration with nothing else changed and it changed the sound quite a bit and smoothed out the annoying resonance noise.

Sounds pretty good Emanon.

I definitely have to disagree on the x-pipe not helping turbo cars though, it did help me before. I ran just a straight pipe on a Turbo Porsche coming off each Turbo straight back and then ran a x-pipe configuration with nothing else changed and it changed the sound quite a bit and smoothed out the annoying resonance noise.

Sorry, by not doing shit I meant performance wise. But I also suspect in your case, it was attributed to a generally longer exhaust that. Merging the two, it converging sound pulses could have some effect.

Thanks! Absolutely LOVE them. Softer than stock over bumps, firmer through the bends. Very MP4-like in its handling. A must for a big power build.

I know but I hate hacking up a new car when you could do a neat job as NASA did for D.Wiggs :icon_mrgreen:

:lol2: Nice.

On a turbo car, it doesn't do shit for anything but aesthetics.

:iamwithstupid: Words to live by right there. It can only hurt; it cannot help (performance).

Thanks for the feedback D.Wiggs, looking forward to getting it installed.

No problem! Let me know what you think!

mounting them in the engine bay and boot make adjustments a lot easier and quicker.. there is no downside i can really think of (besides maybe having to cut some of the trim in the front trunk.)

• 5 weeks later...
No problem! Let me know what you think!

D.Wiggs I got the KW's but I now realize that the photo you've posted was of the rear set up, do you have a photo of the front setup, I want o see how you've dealt with the lift system canisters TIA.

D.Wiggs I got the KW's but I now realize that the photo you've posted was of the rear set up, do you have a photo of the front setup, I want o see how you've dealt with the lift system canisters TIA.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow when I'm in the shop. :icon_thumleft:

I'll snap a pic tomorrow when I'm in the shop. :icon_thumleft:

I booked to have the install done in two weeks when the Capristo gets here so take your time, much appreciated :icon_thumleft: