New year, new plans..

Kisco

For the past couple of weeks, I have been heavily contemplating a TT system for my LP560. As some of you may know, I have had my car for sale since July of last year and since then, I have not received one offer on the car that is acceptable to me. I think I counted a total of 22 offers at 150K, but I was not ready to sell my car at a record low, especially given its condition, color combo, etc. So knowing that I may not get what I want out of it and the fact that I am not going to just give it away, I decided to keep it and do the next best thing....put some TTs on it.. :icon_mrgreen:

Now I want to say that deciding on a tuner was not easy for me, at all. Kevin from UGR and Jason Heffner have both been so kind in answering ALL my questions. Jason was on the phone with me for an hour and a half the other day answering all my questions, and Kevin, well, I have been chit chatting with him about a possible TT set up ever since UGR exploded on the scene years ago. Bottom line is that both of them are stand up guys, both of them would offer exceptional service I am sure, and I'd label both of them as the two best tuners for turbo applications on a Gallardo. So, how do I, a person who has not had any experience with either, choose a tuner exactly?

I formed my decision based on two points. 1) Speaking to people that have had experience with BOTH tuners and 2) Staying aware of company history and track record. After doing so, I have come to a conclusion and decided to send my car to UGR. Let me elaborate a little..

Regarding the first point, I am not going to get into who said what. So don't ask, but I will say that people did have great things to say about Heffner. Regarding the next point, I am pretty sure UGR has built more TT systems than all tuners combined, or close to it. I counted 79 completed Gallardo builds on their site and that doesn't include my car or the dozens they have yet to complete sitting in their shop. They have also set every performance record imaginable for the Gallardo. Lastly, they are closer to me, but that was not a big factor on my decision.

So my car will soon be off to UGR for a stage 1.5 bolt-on kit which includes a Motec ECU, bigger turbos, and boost by gear. I will most certainly keep this thread updated with pics/dynos/vbox numbers, etc. as soon as I get some from Kevin.

I want to take a last moment and send out my profound appreciation to Jason for taking all the time he spent with me over the phone, and I wish him all the business and best in 2013.

And to Kevin, thank you for dealing with me for the past 2 years, lol. I am VERY happy to finally make it happen and officially become part of the UGR team!! :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! You made a great choice in keeping the car. Made a better choice in putting TTs on it. Look forward to keeping up with the build.

Awesome! You made a great choice in keeping the car. Made a better choice in putting TTs on it. Look forward to keeping up with the build.

Thanks man.

good choice keeping the car, and doing a TT set up. I think you will love it.

Thanks, Aaron. And thanks for getting back with me. I am very excited.

Forgot to ask. What turbos do they use for their stage 1 vs their 1.5?

You know, I am not so sure. I will let Kevin answer to the details.

Congrats! Looking forward for a write-up once everything is done and you've gotten time at the wheel! Do you have an ETA?

Thank you!

According to Kevin, ETA is 3-4 weeks, but I told him no rush given that the MI winters are brutal and long, and I can't even drive the car until end of March/April anyway. But I am sure I will have it before then. I will be sure to keep the thread updated whenever I get an update from Kevin.

Wow, nice Fadi, that's definitely what we call a happy ending to the story... :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks brother!

Thank you!

According to Kevin, ETA is 3-4 weeks, but I told him no rush given that the MI winters are brutal and long, and I can't even drive the car until end of March/April anyway. But I am sure I will have it before then. I will be sure to keep the thread updated whenever I get an update from Kevin.

It seems to me that over the years the bolt-on Gallardos have proven to be totally reliable without any of the blow-up concerns that most worried about when they first started appearing without internal mods.

Looking forward to this project...

It seems to me that over the years the bolt-on Gallardos have proven to be totally reliable without any of the blow-up concerns that most worried about when they first started appearing without internal mods.

Looking forward to this project...

I agree. From my understanding, the 560/570 internals are a lot more robust than the earlier Gallardos, and that says a lot given even the earlier Gallardos were reliable with bolt on systems.

Kevin knows I like to drive my car, it surely won't be a garage queen in the spring/summer months. :icon_mrgreen:

I agree. From my understanding, the 560/570 internals are a lot more robust than the earlier Gallardos, and that says a lot given even the earlier Gallardos were reliable with bolt on systems.

Kevin knows I like to drive my car, it surely won't be a garage queen in the spring/summer months. :icon_mrgreen:

Allan will know for sure, but I believe we've only heard of one problem with a bolt-on G-car blowing up ever, and it wasn't a UGR/Heffner kit.

Awesome Fadi! Glad to see you keeping the car. I look forward to seeing some more race vids!! :)

Thanks man! I look forward to creating the vids and sharing them with everyone.

Andy, you have all the show, now it is time for some GO.. :icon_mrgreen: :eusa_think:

I know, after the 570 bumper and side skirts, I'm done with the "show"! I'll do the "GO" some day, I'm sure! :turboalex:

Congrats brother!!!!!!!

Just please stay off the drugs you where on when you planned on selling the car :thefinger:

I cant wait untill we take this car out when its done. :icon_super:

I know, after the 570 bumper and side skirts, I'm done with the "show"! I'll do the "GO" some day, I'm sure! :turboalex:

If you plan on coming to MI in the spring/summer, let me know.

Congrats brother!!!!!!!

Just please stay off the drugs you where on when you planned on selling the car :thefinger:

I cant wait untill we take this car out when its done. :icon_super:

Thanks Habeebi. Now maybe, JUST MAYBE, I will get a phone call from you more than once every 6 mths..:thefinger: :icon_mrgreen:

I am definitely looking forward to getting together in the spring time.

just do a stage 2 or 3 now while it's there. I bet you would end up sending it back to upgrade, you can thank me later. :)

This "hole in the wall" Engineer can't play with you big boys..:rant:

But who knows, maybe next year..:icon_mrgreen:

Yea, my biggest fear is hurting the stock motor. Not due to ANYTHING UR does, but just it being a possibility. But I'm also speaking for myself having an earlier Gallardo. I'd just feel like I couldn't drive it as hard. But maybe I'm overthinking it?? For me it's send it now for a stage I or wait for a Stage III... I feel like I'd be perfectly content though with 650whp on mine just for being a cruiser. BUTTTT, I'd always be worrie of popping a stock rod bolt. Just thinking out loud...I was actually 2 seconds away from buying your last DLM TTG a couple years ago...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm sure the newer LP's are more stout. Congrats on pulling the trigger! I'm jealous!:)

Awesome news Fadi! :) Cant wait to hear your review when shes done! Best of luck with her.

I don't think you will run into much that your car will not be able to destroy :)

I wouldn't go that far. This car will see pump gas 90% of the time meaning it will be on 650-700 whp 90% of the time. While 700 whp is fast, there are plenty of cars out there that are faster. Just maybe not around my neck of the woods.. :icon_mrgreen: Now on race gas, it is going to be an animal and trust me when I tell you, the car WILL see race gas. I opted for MS109 just for the extra octane and added safety. I am not going to abuse race gas, but I will run it here and there.

Yea, my biggest fear is hurting the stock motor. Not due to ANYTHING UR does, but just it being a possibility. But I'm also speaking for myself having an earlier Gallardo. I'd just feel like I couldn't drive it as hard. But maybe I'm overthinking it?? For me it's send it now for a stage I or wait for a Stage III... I feel like I'd be perfectly content though with 650whp on mine just for being a cruiser. BUTTTT, I'd always be worrie of popping a stock rod bolt. Just thinking out loud...I was actually 2 seconds away from buying your last DLM TTG a couple years ago...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm sure the newer LP's are more stout. Congrats on pulling the trigger! I'm jealous!:)

Let me tell you, I beat my DLM car to all hell and I didn't have a problem with it for the entire 13K miles I had the TT on it. That was back when I was REALLY into racing. I mean I made it my job to go out and find races and capture them on video. It's just what was exciting to me back then. Now, that is definitely not the case. Things start to take a turn quickly when kids start to come into the picture. My mind set has totally changed and while before I didn't give a shit about going 200 mph on the dark public HWYs, I am now paranoid to go 120 without thinking twice about cops, other cars, possibilities to run over an animal and get hurt, etc.

The point I am trying to make is this: If I drove my DLM car as hard as I did without any issues for 13K miles, then I have no doubt in my mind this car will last an infinite amount longer given that I am not going to run it as hard, as often, the internals of the 560 are much more robust, and, of course, the master tuners have their hands on it. :icon_mrgreen: It was actually my past experience with a bolt on kit on the earlier Gallardo that constituted a worry free decision for my bolt-on TT kit for my 560.

Awesome news Fadi! :) Cant wait to hear your review when shes done! Best of luck with her.

Thanks a ton, Mike!