What are u wearing

christiann

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imagine waking up one morning and not being able to find your $450k watch.

You just call your insurance broker and give him the bad news :icon_mrgreen:

Just picked up a Nautilus 5711 :) Wanted one for a while

post-22657-1453835965_thumb.jpg

Debating selling my Panera Pam0000, its mint so if anyone is interested. Great watch just never wear it

post-22657-1453835989_thumb.jpg

Let me know how much you want for the PAM

I dont want to be rude, but can we ban AP watches from this thread?

I just don't see anything nice about these watches. I mean the bezel with exposed screws..

I just don't see anything nice about these watches. I mean the bezel with exposed screws..

You don't mean to be rude :icon_mrgreen: if 99.99% of the people here like them why would we ban them from this thread?

What are you wearing?

Let's be fair. No doubt that AP's RO & ROO appear to be the members' choice here. But AP makes much more than just the RO & ROO. They were the first manufacturer to make an automatic tourbillon movement; the same remains one of the thinnest tourbillon movements ever made. Here is a trio-set. Those in the know know what these are especially the middle one with the side-lever. You seem to be an U.N./Patek watch guy so you must know. As to the exposed screws, szabo martin got it right. Question for you: the screws being hexagonal (instead of round), do you know how they are mounted/removed?

Fortis,

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine with the gold bracelet. Also the Ulysse Nardin Sonata. Patek 5036 in White gold, Rolex Presidential and Rolex GMT. Also Blancpain Flyback all rose gold with 07/50 engraved on the counterweight in the back. I posted pics on post #3 and #52 on this thread years ago.

Exactly 99% of the people are wearing these AP watches. Sorry but if I spend 30 or 50K on a watch I want to be the only one in town wearing it.

Sorry guys I dont want to come across as a hater. I am sure some people dont like UN watches and my collection is clearly biased towards those watches. I should be a little more open minded.

VCR, no I dont know how the screws are removed. Please share.

Fortis,

Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine with the gold bracelet. Also the Ulysse Nardin Sonata. Patek 5036 in White gold, Rolex Presidential and Rolex GMT. Also Blancpain Flyback all rose gold with 07/50 engraved on the counterweight in the back. I posted pics on post #3 and #52 on this thread years ago.

Exactly 99% of the people are wearing these AP watches. Sorry but if I spend 30 or 50K on a watch I want to be the only one in town wearing it.

Nice collection but not something which is attractive to me, it's the design of the AP which is attractive to me and that's why I am buying the brand.

I must comment on your last statement, I never understood why people feel that way, if you are buying the piece for your own enjoyment why would you care if anyone else on this planet has one also?

Granted it depends on the town :icon_mrgreen: but I am pretty certain that if you are only spending $50k on a watch you won't be the only one in town wearing it, increase that budget at least 10 times and you will have a better chance achieving your goal.

I also think Lamborghini owners are attracted to a certain design, look, hence a predominance of certain brands, there is no need to take the wind out of anyone's sail we are just sharing here :icon_thumleft:

fmari,

As an U.N. fan, you must know about the "freak" series. It's interesting to note that while the Freak does not have "bezel with exposed screws", just about everywhere else on its face have exposed screws since it was exactly designed to be that way. Do you like that series?

As to the screws of the RO/ROO, it's a very simple and ingenious design. The "screws" on/in the bezel do not turn since they are hexagonal. And they are actually bolts. Each bolt goes through the watch case entirely to the bottom plate. The bottom plate has the same amount of screw holes and at the same position as the bezel. In turn, a set of "nuts" (which are round and actually look and work like screws) goes on the bottom plate and screws onto the threaded hexagon bolt thereby securing the bezel and the bottom plate together with the casing and the movement sandwiched in between. The RO's designer, Gerald Genta, was a genius and he designed some of the most iconic modern time pieces ever. Among them AP's RO, Patek's Nautilus and the Golden Ellipse, IWC's Ingenieur and 0mega's Constellation just to name a few and in addition to his own Gerald Genta and Gerald Charles brands.

Here's a trivia for our Lambo/ROO owners: while Gerald Genta was the Royal Oak designer, he did not designed the Royal Oak Offshore. That title belongs to Emmanuel Gueit. And Genta was very upset by what Gueit had done to the original design. Does that sound familiar --- i.e. exactly what Marcello Gandini said to Chrysler on tweaking his original Diablo design.

Fortis,

Watches are like art so the taste is very subjective. . In my opinion, the ROO is one the most beautiful watches made but that is my opinion only. It is also my opinion that Patek's are way overrated and to top it up, the company is unbelievably condescending. I had a large Patek collection and divested myself of the entire collection with the exception of one piece that i really like, and this was over a dispute with the factory about quality control and fit and finish, which in my opinion again were unacceptable for a brand that considers itself the elite of the Swiss watchmakers.

Also, as Fortis said earlier, spending 50k on a watch does not buy you any exclusivity whatsoever, try 200k +

I wanted a Patek, I asked the SA to give me a price he said he has to make an application to request the price from Patek, I said ok cool lets just forget about it :lol2:

Contacted my dealer to place an order on the Tag Heuer Calibre 02 Tourbillon Phantom. It's limited to 250 numbered pieces. Still waiting on confirmation.

CAR5A8Z.FT6044-CAL-HEUER-02-PHANTOM-MOOD-PACKSHOT-2015.jpg

post-8895-1454513339_thumb.jpg

post-8895-1454513344_thumb.jpg

Yeah Patek has a bit of the snob factor, like Ferrari and Hermes. Thats one thing I never liked about Ferrari, is how they dictate who can own what and what you can do with it. Patek is kind of the same, they said of I turn around and sell the Nautilus I get black balled from buying another one from an AD. I guess you need to confirm it with your AD and such. I do think their finish is pretty top notch tho, I know there are others like Lang and Sohn but they still use a lot of old world hand crafting techniques. Sometimes I wonder if it's to keep an air of mystic.. make you feel privileged to be allowed to buy something. Had a falling out with Hermes over that... sales woman said you are very lucky, I said for being allowed to spend x thousand $'s on a bag? what a privilege!... needless to say they did not appreciate my sarcasm.

Contacted my dealer to place an order on the Tag Heuer Calibre 02 Tourbillon Phantom. It's limited to 250 numbered pieces. Still waiting on confirmation.

CAR5A8Z.FT6044-CAL-HEUER-02-PHANTOM-MOOD

How much is this ? Regardless of the discount you get, be prepared to own it for life as resale is very tough, especially if it pricey. A TAG Tourbillon is not a highly desirable collectible so if you ever get tired of it, you will pretty much have to give it away