Public Perception of Us Lambo Owners

ToofDoc

OK, today Lambo owners comes in all shapes and sizes, walks of life, and are from a wide spectrum of socioeconomic classes especially the 2004-2008 Gallardos can be purchased well below $100K. It is not necessary for one to be a millionaire to own one. Agree?

I find it hilarious when I hear the following:

1) When I go get gas at Sams or Costco, people actually say to me "shouldn't you be getting gas somewhere else"

2) When I say "man, gas is getting expense!" when it was getting up to close to $4/gallon, people say to me "but you drive a Lambo and you're complaining about gas prices?"

WHAT, just because I own a Lambo, I have unlimited cash? I have a US Treasury $50 bill printing machine under my Lambo engine hatch?

Another thing is parts and service....some shops/vendors are great, they understand just because you own an exotic, you still care about money so they don't upcharge and assume you can afford it. Even if we can afford it, doesn't mean we don't like savings or discounts!

"C'mon"!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, dumb people breed faster than the smart ones. More in abundance.

You didn't earn your Lambo by NOT caring about your money :icon_thumleft:

OK, today Lambo owners comes in all shapes and sizes, walks of life, and are from a wide spectrum of socioeconomic classes especially the 2004-2008 Gallardos can be purchased well below $100K. It is not necessary for one to be a millionaire to own one. Agree?

I find it hilarious when I hear the following:

1) When I go get gas at Sams or Costco, people actually say to me "shouldn't you be getting gas somewhere else"

2) When I say "man, gas is getting expense!" when it was getting up to close to $4/gallon, people say to me "but you drive a Lambo and you're complaining about gas prices?"

WHAT, just because I own a Lambo, I have unlimited cash? I have a US Treasury $50 bill printing machine under my Lambo engine hatch?

Another thing is parts and service....some shops/vendors are great, they understand just because you own an exotic, you still care about money so they don't upcharge and assume you can afford it. Even if we can afford it, doesn't mean we don't like savings or discounts!

"C'mon"!

You seem to drive 2 cars that are pretty low gas efficient cars so I don't think you care about gas mileage as much as you think.

It is typically socially incorrect to complain about gas mileage and prices when you drive a lambo as there are obviously plenty of cars like the Prius out there you can get into. I see your point but the general public cannot decipher that a particular lambo gallardo is a $90k 04 gallardo as oppose to a 09 LP550 worth $200k they just see a lambo and assume your loaded.

Anyways have you found the Costco gas to be good quality? I have always been hesitant to fill my gas there as i would not want Kirkland gas in my low tolerance sports cars.

Anyways you have a nice collection of cars either way.

You seem to drive 2 cars that are pretty low gas efficient cars so I don't think you care about gas mileage as much as you think.

It is typically socially incorrect to complain about gas mileage and prices when you drive a lambo as there are obviously plenty of cars like the Prius out there you can get into. I see your point but the general public cannot decipher that a particular lambo gallardo is a $90k 04 gallardo as oppose to a 09 LP550 worth $200k they just see a lambo and assume your loaded.

Anyways have you found the Costco gas to be good quality? I have always been hesitant to fill my gas there as i would not want Kirkland gas in my low tolerance sports cars.

You're right, both my cars are not fuel-efficient cars, but.....

My G is not my DD and it takes about about $70 to fill it up once every 2-3 months (I put on about 2600 miles on my G this past year). I never once complaint about gas when I drive my G because one, I don't drive it much so I don' fuel up as much, and two, it's not that expensive to fill it up.

For my other car, however, GCSRT8 is my DD. Due to its gas tank size capacity, it also requires high octane gas (93 or higher), it costs about $100 to fill up once every 10 days! I'm actually in the process of getting rid of this SUV for a more economical DD. So when I mention how this SUV eats gas, that's when people say, "you drive a Lambo and you're complaining about gas prices?"

Lambo doesn't cost me that much money on day-to-day operations, this SRT8 SUV does!

Another point. this SRT8 needs new tires. Stock tires are also Pirellis. For 4 new Pirelli tires for SRT8 ($1800) costs more than 4 new Pirellis for my G ($1500)!

Yeah...Prius, here I come!! :eusa_dance:

C'mon Andy.... this is PITTSBURGH!!!

What do you expect? I agree with Ventador.....most people would love to have the problem of trying to afford gas for their Lambo and most people have no idea what they cost new or used - only that they are very expensive and exotic. Maybe if this was Miami or L.A. it would be a bit different (then again maybe not).

Do I take it from your post you filled up recently - or is this a historical reference? With the weather & road chemicals mine is tucked away....

C'mon Andy.... this is PITTSBURGH!!!

What do you expect? I agree with Ventador.....most people would love to have the problem of trying to afford gas for their Lambo and most people have no idea what they cost new or used - only that they are very expensive and exotic. Maybe if this was Miami or L.A. it would be a bit different (then again maybe not).

Do I take it from your post you filled up recently - or is this a historical reference? With the weather & road chemicals mine is tucked away....

Carol...I'm sure you experienced some remarks from others on how they assume you're Bill Gate's cousin because you own a Lambo!

No, those remarks are from the past, not recently. My G is also sleeping, but will be awakened to head to Columbus soon for some service and body work.

Carol...I'm sure you experienced some remarks from others on how they assume you're Bill Gate's cousin because you own a Lambo!

No, those remarks are from the past, not recently. My G is also sleeping, but will be awakened to head to Columbus soon for some service and body work.

The SRT is a cool car but I can see it being a bad DD especially if you care about gas mileage at all.

I personally drive a relatively gas efficient car as my daily beater park it anywhere I want to and not worry about it. I think it's a must to have a solid reliable DD along with a lambo.

Let us know what you end up with after you sell the SRT.

3 of my cars are V12's... At the gas station when people ask what kind of gas mileage they get.. I simply reply " Who gives a shit about gas mileage?" That ususually shuts them up and they no longer talk to me. That makes me happy.

It seems that the general public doesn't really know (or care) about the different Lambo models and/or what they cost. However, everyone knows the name "Lamborghini" and they automatically associate it with uber-rich people! I think when they see a Lambo, they automatically think it's a million dollar car, and that you must be a multi-millionare or billionaire! One time I had a person that saw my Diablo, and was convinced that it was an Aventador. Obviously a BIG difference in the car.......and price!

It's a good point... A lot of people expect you to be reckless with money because you drive a Lamborghini, they think it's weird that you are looking for a good deal on a TV etc.

In most cases you drive a Lamborghini because you don't waste money.

3 of my cars are V12's... At the gas station when people ask what kind of gas mileage they get.. I simply reply " Who gives a shit about gas mileage?" That ususually shuts them up and they no longer talk to me. That makes me happy.

Lol or you can go that route too just make sure they don't follow you when you park and key your car :(

I heard from a reliable source that Costco gas was actually supplied by Shell. However, that was quite a few years ago when I heard that, and they might have a new supplier nowadays.

/\ THIS /\

In Addition:

You seem to be forgetting that to someone who doesn't follow cars, Lamborghini's are just insane money. And they are. You forget that to somone who earns 36k a year, a 100k used car with no warranty as a 2nd car / toy is insane.

Having grown up without anything fancy, it is still insane to me. Everytime I look at my cars before I get in them I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment, only bettered by the feeling I get seeing some of my charitable efforts at work and the fact that I am able to provide a loving household for my happy child (not having anything to do with material items or money).

I mostly fill my gas at home because gas stations are the only place that I have dealt with extremely ignorant people. It has been different in the Aventador than any of my other cars. I try to avoid what could have ended in a bad situation on a few occasions. I am very friendly to friendly people, but when someone acts like an a$$ I respond accordingly. I certainly do not let them get away with anything inappropriate.

If you are going to drive a spaceship down the road that people rarely see, you have to be ready for a variety of reactions. I find most people are thumbs up and polite. If I see parents with their kids I invite them to get in it and I will take their pics, etc. I enjoy doing that for them, as I would have really appreciated it as a child.

I find the best approach is to not worry about what people think and enjoy yourself. Be prepared for any situation to occur and if you are going to a Costco in a Lamborghini, realize that you are inviting certain questions. Know where you are going. I drive my 612 everywhere. Wallmart, Wholefoods, Target, NYC, Philly, etc. I go anywhere I travel to in the 612 with no limitations. It is my DD. I forget that I am in a Ferrari. It is not as loud as other F-cars and certainly not as loud as any Lambo, and I haven't run in to any rude people in 13k miles over the past year. I drive it any and every where I go. Not a scratch or mark on it.

As far as public opinion goes, I am sure the people who have been polite to me have nothing but great things to say. The few who have been ignorant have opinions that no part of the respectable society / the majority would pay any attention to.

Allan I can just about picture you doing that and I"m laughing my ass off. :icon_super:

Lol or you can go that route too just make sure they don't follow you when you park and key your car :(

The lambos I dont take anywhere, only short drives. If they follow me to key the Bentley they are in for a long drive.

While I do agree with the majority of your post, you shouldn't complain to people who know you have nice cars about gas prices or about the poor gas mileage of your cars. That's just common sense :)

I tell them I get 8 gallons a mile. While they stand there with a dumb look, I just drive off

I could care less what people think of me or my car as long as they don't mess it up or get in my way.

Costco does not use shell gasoline. They buy it on the spot market.

"You saved up an bought a house, right? Well, I saved up and I sleep in this thing"

Try living in a country where these cars cost between $600k and $1 mil if you really want to experience retarded comments or behavior, getting chased down in traffic, followed in parking lots, have people parked near your house waiting for you to leave or come home.

The worse thing I've ever experienced was once while stopped at the lights some guy decided to spit on my car then proceeded to call me all sorts of names before he took off, never antagonized the guy, drove the speed limit, etc.

I have no idea what prompted his reaction, I guess no matter where you are idiots are everywhere also tall poppy syndrome seems to be the national sport around these parts.

My solutions are, never drive anywhere where you are forced to park in public places and leave the car unattended (I've found people sitting on my car taking photos), drive very early in the morning or late at night, at the gas stations when approached make your answers, short, polite and most importantly humble, never show or tell anyone what's in our garage, never talk to anyone about the car and when the conversation heads that way play it down and change the subject. I know it may seem extreme but trust me it gets annoying very quickly.

I am so sick of it to the point that I figured owning an exotic here is simply not worth the trouble.

Try living in a country where these cars cost between $600k and $1 mil if you really want to experience retarded comments or behavior, getting chased down in traffic, followed in parking lots, have people parked near your house waiting for you to leave or come home.

The worse thing I've ever experienced was once while stopped at the lights some guy decided to spit on my car then proceeded to call me all sorts of names before he took off, never antagonized the guy, drove the speed limit, etc.

I have no idea what prompted his reaction, I guess no matter where you are idiots are everywhere also tall poppy syndrome seems to be the national sport around these parts.

My solutions are, never drive anywhere where you are forced to park in public places and leave the car unattended (I've found people sitting on my car taking photos), drive very early in the morning or late at night, at the gas stations when approached make your answers, short, polite and most importantly humble, never show or tell anyone what's in our garage, never talk to anyone about the car and when the conversation heads that way play it down and change the subject. I know it may seem extreme but trust me it gets annoying very quickly.

I am so sick of it to the point that I figured owning an exotic here is simply not worth the trouble.

I've often thought about this, too. There are just certain parts of the country/world where owning an exotic is probably way too much of a PITA than it's worth.

For example, it's probably a major fcuking headache if you live in a small, redneck, hillbilly-type town...might as well be piloting a real-deal UFO in places like that. Bigger metropolitan areas where exotics are not uncommon are probably the best areas to own these cars...unless you're driving a VI Aventador - then it doesn't matter where you are...haha.

The ownership of my Lamborghinis is entirely in my gift. My decision. No one forced them on me. I never complain about the MPG. It would be irrational to do so.

The price of petrol is definitely not within my gift. I have no say or influence whatsoever. I am not happy about the price but complaining is only logical if there is an outcome. Since any amount of complaining would not make the slightest bit of difference then what would be the point. Consequently I don't complain. BTW - here petrol is $10.20/imperial gallon = $8.20/US gallon. We probably have twice the reason to be unhappy about the price than others.

As far as public perception of Lamborghini goes it is generally very positive. Lots of thumbs up's, blind spot hugging, mobile phone camera shots and small crowds that gather whenever parked up. Significantly better reaction to that which the Ferrari engenders.