Public Perception of Us Lambo Owners

ToofDoc

I have owned my Lambo 6 1/2 years and driven it 23,000 miles. I honestly have never had a problem. You get the occasional asshole on a motorcycle/prius that won't pull over on a mountain road, but generally that's it. Mostly camera phones and questions at gas stations. I have had numerous teachable moments revolving around work hard and how you can achieve or exceed your goals. One of the oddest, was at light on pch driving home with the groceries on the passenger seat. There was a family that was obviously from out of town next to me. Dad winds down the window and asks - my daughter wants to know what your job is? I told him I was self employed...he turned to his daughter and said I told you so. Maybe it will motivate her. Auctioned off passenger drives for my son's school fundraiser.

But then again the car rarely leaves civilized areas.

The unexpected upside beyond owning a fcuking cool car, is I have met a lot of really cool and interesting people and had some great times because of the shared bond of Lamborghini ownership. Never happened when I owned my 996tt or my NSX.

Case in point...put close to 400 miles on it yesterday. AMX put a fraud alert on my card due to repeated fillups!

post-13077-1357522205_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dereiter
My solutions are, never drive anywhere where you are forced to park in public places and leave the car unattended (I've found people sitting on my car taking photos), drive very early in the morning or late at night, at the gas stations when approached make your answers, short, polite and most importantly humble, never show or tell anyone what's in our garage, never talk to anyone about the car and when the conversation heads that way play it down and change the subject. I know it may seem extreme but trust me it gets annoying very quickly.

You are totally right.

I share your opinion.

P.S. The haters will hate.

OK, today Lambo owners comes in all shapes and sizes, walks of life, and are from a wide spectrum of socioeconomic classes especially the 2004-2008 Gallardos can be purchased well below $100K. It is not necessary for one to be a millionaire to own one. Agree?

I find it hilarious when I hear the following:

1) When I go get gas at Sams or Costco, people actually say to me "shouldn't you be getting gas somewhere else"

2) When I say "man, gas is getting expense!" when it was getting up to close to $4/gallon, people say to me "but you drive a Lambo and you're complaining about gas prices?"

WHAT, just because I own a Lambo, I have unlimited cash? I have a US Treasury $50 bill printing machine under my Lambo engine hatch?

Another thing is parts and service....some shops/vendors are great, they understand just because you own an exotic, you still care about money so they don't upcharge and assume you can afford it. Even if we can afford it, doesn't mean we don't like savings or discounts!

"C'mon"!

As somebody who would most likely say (or at least think) the same thing as some others you run into I would think that once you have so much money that you can afford a Lamborghini some life expenses stop being a day-to-day worry. One of them being the gas price. Logic dictates that at the time of the Lamborghini purchase you were aware how much gas was, how much gas mileage you would approximately get from your Lamborghini and were prepared to deal with that expense... It's completely normal, IMO, to be surprised by a complaint about gas prices from somebody who's driving a Lamborghini. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to show you a different perspective.

I also don't think that comment is on par with the other hateful comments mentioned in this thread, it could just be honest curiosity. :icon_thumleft:

I have owned my Lambo 6 1/2 years and driven it 23,000 miles. I honestly have never had a problem. You get the occasional asshole on a motorcycle/prius that won't pull over on a mountain road, but generally that's it. Mostly camera phones and questions at gas stations. I have had numerous teachable moments revolving around work hard and how you can achieve or exceed your goals.

The unexpected upside beyond owning a fcuking cool car, is I have met a lot of really cool and interesting people and had some great times because of the shared bond of Lamborghini ownership.

Case in point...put close to 400 miles on it yesterday. AMX put a fraud alert on my card due to repeated fillups!

Very similar to my experience in the two years, 12,000 miles so far. Very few a-holes. The most surprising outcome is the occasional marriage proposal from some guy at a car show, or some teen/20 something who pulls up next to me (I'm mid-50's so there is no question it's ALL about the car :D but it makes me smile anyway)

I even had a teenager approach me at the track (along with his two friends - all probably 16 years old) and ask lots of questions about the car. Let them sit in it for photo ops, and one said, "Gee - I wish you were my Mom!!" Gotta say....coming from a teenager it was quite a compliment. And at least he didn't say GRANDMOTHER!!! :icon_thumleft:

We usually call the credit card company in advance when traveling/doing lots of fill-ups to avoid the inconvenience of a fraud alert.

unless you're driving a VI Aventador - then it doesn't matter where you are...haha.

This is very true. I couldn't take mine anywhere at all without being followed, stalked, hassled, mobbed etc!

Not so much refering to haters at us Lambo owners...

My whole point is just because I have a Lambo, that doesn't mean I "rich"! I realize "rich" is all relative and subjective, but I don't consider me as "rich" at all!

I work 5-6 days/week year around, 8 hours/day, still need to budget, shop around for the best prices, still enjoys discounts if available, eating at Denny's, and I just shopped at KMart today!

Don't get me wrong, I also some Brand name stuff and have dined at fancy places in town, but definitely not "rich".

Not so much refering to haters at us Lambo owners...

My whole point is just because I have a Lambo, that doesn't mean I "rich"! I realize "rich" is all relative and subjective, but I don't consider me as "rich" at all!

I work 5-6 days/week year around, 8 hours/day, still need to budget, shop around for the best prices, still enjoys discounts if available, eating at Denny's, and I just shopped at KMart today!

Don't get me wrong, I also some Brand name stuff and have dined at fancy places in town, but definitely not "rich".

Well you own a Lamborghini..you must have some disposable income. Enjoy the car, embrace the relationships that can be made and ignore the noise....enjoy life. Don't waste energy on what others think. I love to drive my Gallardo to school to drop off my kid (I remember what impact cars like these made when I was a child).....it pisses off all the tree huggers in their Priuses and Jetta TDI's, the kids love it. My neighbor takes his R8 and gets the same response. Sometimes we coordinate a double drop off just to really screw with them.

I don't think it's a rediculous perception or assumption, that someone driving a Lambo is wealthy. I think it is rediculous to expect them to assume otherwise.

The most surprising outcome is the occasional marriage proposal from some guy at a car show, or some teen/20 something who pulls up next to me (I'm mid-50's so there is no question it's ALL about the car :D but it makes me smile anyway)

It's not about the car. It's about the car plus the fact that you are a track day instructor, ride motorcycles, shoot guns and are a pretty enjoyable person to be around.

:wub:

Hide's before Capt finds me. :fsniper:

Gas prices suck no matter who you are or how much you make. All of you that own a Lambo/exotic got there because you were good with your money and managed it carefully. Part of being careful with your money is making wise financial decisions whether it is looking around for the best gas price, taking a second look at the cell phone bill/cable contract or shopping your car insurance. Just because you can afford $5 a gallon gas or the package with 500 channels and every movie channel doesn't mean you want to spend that.

Now on to more important matters...What DD are you getting Andy? Please tell me it is NOT a Prius. :puke:

Gas prices suck no matter who you are or how much you make. All of you that own a Lambo/exotic got there because you were good with your money and managed it carefully. Part of being careful with your money is making wise financial decisions whether it is looking around for the best gas price, taking a second look at the cell phone bill/cable contract or shopping your car insurance. Just because you can afford $5 a gallon gas or the package with 500 channels and every movie channel doesn't mean you want to spend that.

Only distinction is you can choose a cheaper cable TV or cell phone plan but we all have to pay the same prices for gas at any given location. The choice to pay for more gas is made when you decide to take either the 8 mpg exotic that will only run on 93 octane out for a drive or the 40 mpg econobox. If you decide to take the exotic out, it doesn't make much sense to complain about gas prices.

1003349[/url]']

I don't think it's a rediculous perception or assumption, that someone driving a Lambo is wealthy. I think it is rediculous to expect them to assume otherwise.

:iamwithstupid:

I wouldn't get near a Lambo if the cost of fuel would be a concern, it would not make financial sense for anyone to purchase an unnecessary toy if that was the case.

I was in the car with my wife the other day and as we were driving by a gas station she mentioned that particular station always has very cheap fuel, when she said that I thought to myself damn I don't even know how much fuel usually cost, I know it's over a 1$/L but I had no idea how much exactly in order to compare if they had a good deal going or not.

It's an inevitable expense which is out of my control, it isn't negotiable so I do not worry about it, I have two choices, I will either fill up or I don't, if I save $5 a tank each time I fill up by chasing "deals" and fill up once a week $260/ year won't make me or break me so I simply do not care enough to even think about it.

I wouldn't get near a Lambo if the cost of fuel would be a concern, it would not make financial sense for anyone to purchase an unnecessary toy if that was the case.

I was in the car with my wife the other day and as we were driving by a gas station she mentioned that particular station always has very cheap fuel, when she said that I thought to myself damn I don't even know how much fuel usually cost, I know it's over a 1$/L but I had no idea how much exactly in order to compare if they had a good deal going or not.

It's an inevitable expense which is out of my control, it isn't negotiable so I do not worry about it, I have two choices, I will either fill up or I don't, if I save $5 a tank each time I fill up by chasing "deals" and fill up once a week $260/ year won't make me or break me so I simply do not care enough to even think about it.

This is exactly how I look at gas prices.

The way I see it, I need gas to get to work so I can make money. It is inevitable.

For this reason, I don't concern myself with the price. It is what it is, and I'll have to pay for it either way. If they day comes that the price I pay per week for gas is an issue, then I'll get a car that consumes less gas. Not worth worrying about it otherwise, there's more important things to do with your time then drive around looking for the best gas deal.

Gas prices are killing me! Instead of a W12 Bentley I may need to get a W8!

You just want a V8 because of the great lease deals they are offering. ;)

I've often thought about this, too. There are just certain parts of the country/world where owning an exotic is probably way too much of a PITA than it's worth.

For example, it's probably a major fcuking headache if you live in a small, redneck, hillbilly-type town...might as well be piloting a real-deal UFO in places like that. Bigger metropolitan areas where exotics are not uncommon are probably the best areas to own these cars...unless you're driving a VI Aventador - then it doesn't matter where you are...haha.

Um, jupp..

We have like 50-100 Lambos in total in my country and I am the only one to ever had a Lambo in my city (Gotham) and I got my first one when I was 25.. Imagine the UFO-factor around town when you have a G with testpipes and the second coolest car in town is your friends granddads almost new M5...

Well you own a Lamborghini..you must have some disposable income. Enjoy the car, embrace the relationships that can be made and ignore the noise....enjoy life. Don't waste energy on what others think. I love to drive my Gallardo to school to drop off my kid (I remember what impact cars like these made when I was a child).....it pisses off all the tree huggers in their Priuses and Jetta TDI's, the kids love it. My neighbor takes his R8 and gets the same response. Sometimes we coordinate a double drop off just to really screw with them.

Would love to see a reaction video of this! :lol2:

3 of my cars are V12's... At the gas station when people ask what kind of gas mileage they get.. I simply reply " Who gives a shit about gas mileage?" That ususually shuts them up and they no longer talk to me. That makes me happy.

Exactly. You can't engage in conversations about stupid shit that makes no sense isn relation to the car you are driving, I love when some whipped dad comes over and asks me where do I put my children? I say the same " who gives a shit you are missing the point"

The price of gas sucks no matter what you are driving, but if I was to complain I wouldnt when I have the Lambo out.

When people say stupid things because of the car, I just reply back in a different langauge and laugh.

The problem with that is that other parents would get jealous/feel inferior so they might take it out on your children directly or indirectly (talking negatively about your kids or you to their kids, and so on).

Very well said! I feel the exact same way. I get embarrassed at times when people ask me if I know how much cost of gas is. Like you said, it is an inevitable expense in which we have no control over pricing.

Um, jupp..

We have like 50-100 Lambos in total in my country and I am the only one to ever had a Lambo in my city (Gotham) and I got my first one when I was 25.. Imagine the UFO-factor around town when you have a G with testpipes and the second coolest car in town is your friends granddads almost new M5...

Yeah baby! As a friend of mine once said, "drive it like you stole it." Not sure exactly what he meant, but I interpreted as drive it hard and fast. I agree with all of the comments re: fuel. I put 5500 miles on my STS over the last 6 months, and I could not tell you what the price of fule was at any point during that time. I'm guessing around $4.90/gallon, but that's because NYS taxes the sh*t out of fuel. During the post-Sandy fuel lines, I received a nuber of disdainful looks, as if to say "you pig you, how can you drive such a car?" I just smiled.

The least expensive part about owning a Lamborghini is the fuel you put in it. LOL.. It still sucks however :icon_mrgreen:

The problem with that is that other parents would get jealous/feel inferior so they might take it out on your children directly or indirectly (talking negatively about your kids or you to their kids, and so on).

That's my point. Don't live your life in fear of what others think. We have lots of good relationships with other parents and kids at his school. If you that insecure about the type of car I drive, I have no interest in knowing you. Apart from the car I own, I am an extremely low key person and not in your face at all.