Really high mileage gallardo superleggera

OMG6AMG

Long story short, after a unexpected accident on the GTR, I'm currently out of nice car to drive apart from my DD. Was looking & considering a older year lambo around 110k, but surprise I found a 2008 Gallardo superleggera with 78k miles on it. I went look at the car in person today, the first thing I notice is when the owner start up the car there is smoke coming out from the engine bay. second, the rear bumper line doesnt match the body panel, they are slightly off. Third, the interior is not so good, has crack on the driver side cf and big neck on passenger; not only the driver side has a broke hole on it... but any how I would say it is acceptable for a almost 80k miles car. Forth, the hood doesnt close properly, it has a little gap you can feel when you push it.

So after I inspect the owner start the car for me and rev it up, it sounds really good and the owner keep saying there is nothing wrong with this car and he is confidence if I want to take the car to dealer for a PPI; out of my pocket though ;( My concern is that the car is locate in a body shop with exotic cars with serious damage, is there any hidden history on the car and of you guys are familiar with it? The buyer has offer me 100k for this 08 G SL.

However, when it comes to really high mileage exotics like the gallardo I'm not really sure how the maintenance price goes. Besides, the owner says he holds a dealer license so basically he bought this car to sell it to make money. So folks, what's your opinions? How's the maintenance will go on a car like this, will it be easy to broke and is there any other problem or things that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Car vin: ZHWGU43T78LA06625.

Internet link below:

https://usedcars.truecar.com/car/Lamborghin...WGU43T78LA06625

That car is well known. It was daily driven and not maintained. Apparently there hasn't been an accident but it will probably be quite a bit of money to make it right. I'm sure it has a lot of components that need replacement. The miles aren't the major factor, it's the fact that it wasn't cared for.

That car is well known. It was daily driven and not maintained. Apparently there hasn't been an accident but it will probably be quite a bit of money to make it right. I'm sure it has a lot of components that need replacement. The miles aren't the major factor, it's the fact that it wasn't cared for.

ditto. search and you will find answers. be prepared to pay $$$$$ to fix it up. it is a good TT candidate though.

I would stay away from ultra high mile Lambos. Its not worth it, and never believe anything someone says who bought the car to sell it.

Forget about this car and find something else.

I heard gallardos need a top end re-build around 60k miles usually.

Can you quote where you have heard this. What all needs to be done?. You have me worried as mine is at 40k miles now.

Sounds like it needs TLC. I agree, the miles aren't the problem but the lack of maintenance. Like folks here are saying, it could be an excellent candidate for a TT setup, but I'd walk away at that price.

If you're already stretching your budget, this isn't the car for you. Just the interior bits you mention are going to cost $10k to replace.

If you move forward, the person doing the PPI should be someone you know trust and implicitly. Forget local dealers. IME, they tend to pump up little things and and totally miss the big ones.

Thanks, I speak to the owner today, as we speak the owner says I dont trust him and wish my luck for what Im looking for. So he pretty much close this deal and Im not looking to move any forward.

However, I keep looking and I found out that Newport beach Lamborghini in Costa Mesa, CA offers Lease/Finance on the lambos, anyone has experience with them? And the advantages and disadvantages?

I think one should never buy thes exoctics if you have to spend bottom dollar just to get into one. Thats just my opinion and I say it very humbly. These cars are really high maintenance and a mistreated Lambo is sure going to become somebody's nightmare.

I heard gallardos need a top end re-build around 60k miles usually.

Not true

Can you quote where you have heard this. What all needs to be done?. You have me worried as mine is at 40k miles now.

Dont worry. Above statement isn't true

I think one should never buy thes exoctics if you have to spend bottom dollar just to get into one. Thats just my opinion and I say it very humbly. These cars are really high maintenance and a mistreated Lambo is sure going to become somebody's nightmare.

This brought back some memories, conversations I used to have with my friends, I remember saying, I will buy a Lambo even if I have to sleep in it :lol2:

Fortunately I don't have to do that because I can also afford the house.

Fulfilling a long time dream is always worth taking a shot, you only live once :icon_thumleft:

Not true

Dont worry. Above statement isn't true

I did not think so either. Mine is maintained very well with oil changes when it needs it. (Less than 7500 miles that the factory calls for). Anything else is taken care off when it needs it. Did a major at 29k. All fluids flushed, new fuel filters, new other filters, all running gear bolts torqued, new two piece rotors and pads. What did I miss?.

This brought back some memories, conversations I used to have with my friends, I remember saying, I will buy a Lambo even if I have to sleep in it :lol2:

Fortunately I don't have to do that because I can also afford the house.

Fulfilling a long time dream is always worth taking a shot, you only live once :icon_thumleft:

Yes, but if you are going to do it, do it right. Getting a shitbomb car or 12 year financing is not the right way.

I would stay away from ultra high mile Lambos. Its not worth it, and never believe anything someone says who bought the car to sell it.

Forget about this car and find something else.

:iamwithstupid:

From Simon the guy that owns the 250k+ mileage murci, he runs alot of cars so im guessing an excellent source of info.

"Not wishing to sound pompous but we run 6 Gallardos from 04's to a 560 on an 09 plate. All get a huge amount of stick from instructors and customers alike. This is my verdict.

There was well known clutch issues with early cars up to 05. All ours have had the later more robust clutches which completly eradicates this problem. What is vital is that the early cars have had the power steering hoses rerouted away from the cat mod because if not - and mark my words - sooner or later they will suffer a fire. Four of ours did. All on the track and since they carried extinguishers we were able to catch them.

Overall though they have been good, far more reliable than the fragile 360's we also run. Switchgear like door handles and window switches often fall off, and when the v10's get to 60k- like someone flicking a switch they need a top end rebuild. You will know this as they then smoke like a Chinese power station.

Gearboxes are generally robust but the V10's use a lot of engine oil so check the levels frequently.

In my experience a well built supercar which for road use only are pretty bombproof.

The 560's are even better. Rock solid, almost 911 like in fit finish and engineering. Nowhere near a 458 in terms of technology and outright speed but in my opinion way more fun."

I hear there are some good deals to be had if you are going to lease a new car. Might not be a bad idea vs buying a used one if you plan to leave it stock and really want the experience of owning a Lambo. Under warranty, only maintenance will be a factor and not repairs. Repairs on these cars are what really kills the wallet, not the maintenance.

Yes, but if you are going to do it, do it right. Getting a shitbomb car or 12 year financing is not the right way.

That I agree with :icon_thumleft:

So, should I put my 9 credit cards back into my wallet?

george-costanza-wallet-300x224.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Two words: Run away.

I talked to the guy in CL that is tying to sell it, and it sounds sketchy. It's at a body shop in Orange County, but he insists it doesn't have body work. After our conversation I decided it wasn't even worth going to look at. Now it appears DC Motors has it,Manichaeism is also in OC. Very strange.

Just as a general rule for ANY car, if it puffs smoke on cold startup then the valve guides/seals are toast. It's not the end of the world to repair, but the heads are coming off and it isn't going to be pennies even if you do the easy labor yourself.

Also, burning oil plummets the octane rating of the fuel, will make the motor knock and can do lots of damage only visible upon a full teardown. Pounding the rod bearings, hard on ring lands, and so forth. If it's smoking that bad he's effectively driving it around on 80-ish octane fuel and I bet it sounds like you dumped a bucket of marbles down the intake on full throttle. Otherwise, it's retarding the timing to compensate and the car will be way down on power.

Just as a general rule for ANY car, if it puffs smoke on cold startup then the valve guides/seals are toast. It's not the end of the world to repair, but the heads are coming off and it isn't going to be pennies even if you do the easy labor yourself.

Also, burning oil plummets the octane rating of the fuel, will make the motor knock and can do lots of damage only visible upon a full teardown. Pounding the rod bearings, hard on ring lands, and so forth. If it's smoking that bad he's effectively driving it around on 80-ish octane fuel and I bet it sounds like you dumped a bucket of marbles down the intake on full throttle. Otherwise, it's retarding the timing to compensate and the car will be way down on power.

Agreed with everything except remember some WHITE smoke is normal upon startup because of the condensation that builds up in the motor and exhaust over time and depending on temperature it may be more or less. Blue smoke in my opinion is not good and a definite sign of bad valve guide seals.

Agreed with everything except remember some WHITE smoke is normal upon startup because of the condensation that builds up in the motor and exhaust over time and depending on temperature it may be more or less. Blue smoke in my opinion is not good and a definite sign of bad valve guide seals.

True, I should have clarified its blue/ gray oil smoke and the smell is unmistakable. It will do it after sitting for a few hours regardless of ambient temp.