Lamborghini Veneno

DrVertigo

i love the car, i love the design, i think it is , as the english say, the dog's bollocks!

BUT ... and I hate mentioning the price, but for $4.6mio I would hope they could atleast match the weight of a Zonda 760 RS. Its also a CF car, it also has a big V12 na engine. Especially as it is based on a CF tub car, which is somehow still heavier than the Murci SV! I do not understand why the Aventador and this Veneno are still so heavy. Crazy fast nonetheless, I am not disputing that.

I am a diehard Lamborghini fan, but all their weight figures are bullshit, and its annoying to keep hearing: Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre; when it still a fat and heavy beast

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same time elsewhere -actually in Sant'###### Bolognese- the local priest is forcing spirits to gather near Lamborghini plant and give Veneno it's core soul.

WOW! I wondered why this thread was so long so I took a peek. Congrats Kris! This is beyond exciting. I'm not sure I will be attending your events, I have a feeling you created a lot of enemies among the billionaire's and prince's of the world :D

Enjoy :D

What are the Green/white/Red switches? are them used to set the car in Strada/Sport/Corsa settings?

I meant to ask but in all the excitement I forgot to. I would guess it has to do with the driving modes. This car will have 5 driving modes. When you lift those colored switch covers there are mini toggles underneath, which felt really good (and very fighter jet like).

i love the car, i love the design, i think it is , as the english say, the dog's bollocks!

BUT ... and I hate mentioning the price, but for $4.6mio I would hope they could atleast match the weight of a Zonda 760 RS. Its also a CF car, it also has a big V12 na engine. Especially as it is based on a CF tub car, which is somehow still heavier than the Murci SV! I do not understand why the Aventador and this Veneno are still so heavy. Crazy fast nonetheless, I am not disputing that.

I am a diehard Lamborghini fan, but all their weight figures are bullshit, and its annoying to keep hearing: Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre, Carbon Fibre; when it still a fat and heavy beast

The Veneno is much lighter than the Murcielago SV.

The belief that Lamborghini is behind by not jumping on the hybrid train is silly. Is Ferrari behind for staying committed to aluminum when carbon fiber is a better material in some applications? You don't hear that. And you shouldn't, because they get the job done with aluminum.

The carbon fiber technology Lamborghini speaks of and shows off is not really understood by many, including myself until recently. They should explain it more. It is their own fault. Just like Ferrari has spent a fortune developing their advanced aluminum facility, Lamborghini has developed proprietary carbon fiber blends and techniques. It is easy to dismiss all carbon fiber as... carbon fiber, but not all forms are equal in strength, weight-savings, production cost, flexibility, durability, etc. Lamborghini is a leader in carbon composite research and already has multiple forms of carbon fiber that are patented and will prove to be very useful in the future. The monocoque of the Aventador is already proof of their research and development paying off.

The use of 4wd, better aerodynamics, and better power to weight seems to be Lamborghini's focus. While its main competition is focusing on hybrid technology to add additional HP, that technology also adds weight and the additional HP benefits are negated by the other factors I have listed. Lamborghini adds extra weight with 4wd instead of a 2nd engine powered by batteries.

Just like Ferrari's use of aluminum chassis' for 500k + brand new models in the year 2013 might seem out of date to some, it works. And no one mentions it, because its Ferrari. Again, no need to mention it beyond a side note to my point: it doesn't matter. They are all amazing. But what Lamborghini is doing is just as amazing as their peers. The technology is just not properly conveyed or marketed as well.

WOW! I wondered why this thread was so long so I took a peek. Congrats Kris! This is beyond exciting. I'm not sure I will be attending your events, I have a feeling you created a lot of enemies among the billionaire's and prince's of the world :D

Enjoy :D

Thank you!! I hope you will be part of the events!

I do not wish to create any enemies! I hope they decide to join or do their own super cars for super kids charity events too!

WTF? I don't know if this a good thing or a bad thing.

The Veneno project was in production for over 6 months. He may not have seen the final show car until the VAG unveiling, but according to the designers and the head of carbon fiber development, he was involved throughout the entire process.

The Veneno is much lighter than the Murcielago SV.

The belief that Lamborghini is behind by not jumping on the hybrid train is silly. Is Ferrari behind for staying committed to aluminum when carbon fiber is a better material in some applications? You don't hear that. And you shouldn't, because they get the job done with aluminum.

The carbon fiber technology Lamborghini speaks of and shows off is not really understood by many, including myself until recently. They should explain it more. It is their own fault. Just like Ferrari has spent a fortune developing their advanced aluminum facility, Lamborghini has developed proprietary carbon fiber blends and techniques. It is easy to dismiss all carbon fiber as... carbon fiber, but not all forms are equal in strength, weight-savings, production cost, flexibility, durability, etc. Lamborghini is a leader in carbon composite research and already has multiple forms of carbon fiber that are patented and will prove to be very useful in the future. The monocoque of the Aventador is already proof of their research and development paying off.

The use of 4wd, better aerodynamics, and better power to weight seems to be Lamborghini's focus. While its main competition is focusing on hybrid technology to add additional HP, that technology also adds weight and the additional HP benefits are negated by the other factors I have listed. Lamborghini adds extra weight with 4wd instead of a 2nd engine powered by batteries.

Just like Ferrari's use of aluminum chassis' for 500k + brand new models in the year 2013 might seem out of date to some, it works. And no one mentions it, because its Ferrari. Again, no need to mention it beyond a side note to my point: it doesn't matter. They are all amazing. But what Lamborghini is doing is just as amazing as their peers. The technology is just not properly conveyed or marketed as well.

Thank you!! I hope you will be part of the events!

I do not wish to create any enemies! I hope they decide to join or do their own super cars for super kids charity events too!

Interesting read, thanks Kris.

I hate all the hybrid stuff, but I am open to being convinced if it really does work, in the way it is used in the P1 and La; but I do not see the 918 as even standing a chance.

Question remains: how come (even with the added front shaft weight 'penalty' taken into account) Lamborghini is nowhere close to Zonda weight ?

I hate all the hybrid stuff, but I am open to being convinced if it really does work, in the way it is used in the P1 and La; but I do not see the 918 as even standing a chance.

Well, the power output of a hybrid system is usually more than enough to offset its weight in terms of pure speed, but with a sports car you want power and low weight, and in supercars, really we need no more of the former and great improvements in the latter. The one really good thing is that it will provide a big chunk of torque instantly regardless of revs, allowing it to minimise turbo lag and make naturally aspirated units punchier.

Something to keep in mind is that if the batteries are running low on the LäFerrari or P1, they won't be too much quicker than the Veneno. Lambo's engine is right up with theirs, and actually a bit more powerful than the P1's.

Question remains: how come (even with the added front shaft weight 'penalty' taken into account) Lamborghini is nowhere close to Zonda weight ?

The Zonda's a masterpiece of engineering, with every single component expertly crafted from the finest materials (not to mention that it doesn't conform to regulations for many countries), but I would love to know why the Aventador's weight is more than a steel-chassised, 1963-engined, similarly vast and 4wd Murcielago SV. The whole point of the ISR gearbox was to be lighter, smaller and better packaged than a dual clutch unit. Seems like that design ethos didn't extend to the rest of the car...

RB's been told by Lamborghini that the Veneno may exceed the quoted 125kg weight loss, so it'll be interesting to find out what they're doing to it.

The Zonda was never street legal by USA standards. There are no air bags and I am sure it would not pass the additional safety requirements of the chassis. Add in all the requirements to pass DOT and I bet the Zonda would be heavier than the Aventador. There is a reason why the Zonda has never been legal over here ;-)

The Zonda wasn't street legal in the USA. The Huayra is street legal in the US and has a dry weight of 1350 kg. The Veneno has a dry weight of 1450 kg, (and maybe less) and AWD. Without the AWD the weight difference between the two cars is less than 100 lbs.

To contrast this with other cars, the dry weight of a 458 is 1380 kg, the dry weight of an MP4-12C is 1300 kg, and the LP570-4 is 1340 kg.

The Zonda wasn't street legal in the USA. The Huayra is street legal in the US and has a dry weight of 1350 kg. The Veneno has a dry weight of 1450 kg, (and maybe less) and AWD. Without the AWD the weight difference between the two cars is less than 100 lbs.

To contrast this with other cars, the dry weight of a 458 is 1380 kg, the dry weight of an MP4-12C is 1300 kg, and the LP570-4 is 1340 kg.

The Huayra's weight was released before it failed to be approved for street legal use in the USA. I am not sure if the Huayra has since passed, but initially it failed due to not having proper airbags. I will wait to see the actual delivery weight in the USA after it has passed DOT. Again, I am not sure about the Huayra's current status regarding DOT approval and any related weight added (if any) to meet the approval requirements.

The Huayra's weight was released before it failed to be approved for street legal use in the USA. I am not sure if the Huayra has since passed, but initially it failed due to not having proper airbags. I will wait to see the actual delivery weight in the USA after it has passed DOT. Again, I am not sure about the Huayra's current status regarding DOT approval and any related weight added (if any) to meet the approval requirements.

Interesting! Good info! I wonder how much the ThethetheFerrari will weigh. Its dry weight is the same as the Enzo and the Enzo was 3200-3300 lbs curb weight.

Interesting! Good info! I wonder how much the ThethetheFerrari will weigh. Its dry weight is the same as the Enzo and the Enzo was 3200-3300 lbs curb weight.

They are all fast and light considering the power to weight.

They are all fast and light considering the power to weight.

:iamwithstupid:

+/- 300lbs. either way doesn't mean anything anymore, not in the face of 750hp+ engines.

It's always nice of course to go lighter, but we're not going to see something like the McLaren F1 showing up and being nearly a thousand pounds lighter than a Diablo VT or 512M at that time happen ever again.

The weight differences between all of the current hypercars, with the exception of perhaps the Veyron which is dramtically heavier than the rest (and serves as more proof that weight in the high-hp sector doesn't really matter that much thanks to brake/suspension tech improvements), are pretty trivial behind the wheel.

I would always take a lighter car with less HP over a heavier one with more HP, it's a totally different driving experience.

1250kg wet, 650HP and crazy aero would be ideal thank you very much :icon_mrgreen:

Because I know he is too modest to post it himself:

http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guys-who-paid...ini-v-453239246

Kris is in his thirties, and not afraid to joke around a bit. He gives credit to Volkswagen for creating the best car in the world ( the Bugatti Veyron) by marrying a Beetle to an Audi TT RS. He also owned Ferraris before, and tells us that the last ones he liked were the 430 Scuderia and the 16M, but still he would choose a Gallardo Superleggera or Performante instead of those. They don't like Ferrari's new headlamps. I'm onboard.

Kris calls Lamborghini's Chief Designer, Filippo Perini a modern day Marcello Gandini, a genius in short. He also begged Winkelmann to sell him the Estoque, and will buy the Lambo SUV as soon as it hits the showrooms.

I would always take a lighter car with less HP over a heavier one with more HP, it's a totally different driving experience.

1250kg wet, 650HP and crazy aero would be ideal thank you very much :icon_mrgreen:

So would I, but 300 pounds, or one car being roughly 7-8% lighter than the other, doesn't qualify for that "totally different" driving experience. It needs to be more than that to really produce a tangible butt-feel difference at high HP levels.

Good example: Gallardo TT owners have said that whether or not they have a 200lb. passenger in the right seat is largely irrelevant...the car feels nearly identical to driving it alone.

On track is different of course, obviously saving weight provides a shit-ton of advantages that translate into wins and lower times (better fuel eco, less brake wear/better brake efficiency, better acceleration, etc).

But even there the GT-R has shown that current tech can make up for a lot of the losses that "porker" cars traditionally have had previously.

It's different for everyone, but you have to go beyond 400-500 pounds of loss on a 3,700lb. car before you really start feeling a night/day difference behind the wheel imo.

Because I know he is too modest to post it himself:

http://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guys-who-paid...ini-v-453239246

Just saw this too, kudos to Kris on doing an interview. It really puts you out there, but what else can you expect when you buy the Veneno. Nice to get to see/read about the other gentleman as well. I only today got the update from this thread that 2/3 Venenos are coming stateside - and I'm much closer to the right coastline! :icon_mrgreen:

Mako I am not entirely up to speed with stats, numbers, etc therefore I don't know the exact real world weight differences between a 560 and a 570 but a 570 feels like a completely different car to drive, feels more nimble, planted, I am sure the HP difference is very insignificant and I believe it comes down to weight, now my ideal car with be a 570 with 100 extra HP and 300 kg less, I would not ask for anything else :icon_mrgreen:

You are spot on about the issues with the heavy cars, I am sure weight is much less of an issue in crazy HP Gallardos but those cars were repurposed for one task only, going fast in a straight line, yeah some would argue that isn't the case but I've had plenty of feedback which states otherwise.

GTR is the stand out, I've seen a few on the race track and I was very impressed, it still looked cumbersome but it carried its weight very well, now just imagine if it had to carry less weight :shock:

You will need the tech which comes along with the likes of Bugatti, GTR, Porsche 918, La.Ferrari, P1 in order to compensate for the added weight, the only car which excites me a the moment tech wise is the P1, I can't wait to see what these cars can do on the track, exciting times ahead.

Mako I am not entirely up to speed with stats, numbers, etc therefore I don't know the exact real world weight differences between a 560 and a 570 but a 570 feels like a completely different car to drive, feels more nimble, planted, I am sure the HP difference is very insignificant and I believe it comes down to weight, now my ideal car with be a 570 with 100 extra HP and 300 kg less, I would not ask for anything else :icon_mrgreen:

I would venture a guess that much of it could be attributed to suspension differences.