Rounding up investors and keeping your business safe.

MrDoctor

I'm currently working on starting my first business, and am going to start making rounds to gather investors.

What can I do to protect myself from my business idea getting stolen after explaining my business to a potential investor? Is a non disclosure agreement good enough protection? I have no business education what so ever. Any good information I can read up on, books, web sites, etc?

Thank You.

• 9 months later...
I'm currently working on starting my first business, and am going to start making rounds to gather investors.

What can I do to protect myself from my business idea getting stolen after explaining my business to a potential investor? Is a non disclosure agreement good enough protection? I have no business education what so ever. Any good information I can read up on, books, web sites, etc?

Thank You.

Professional investors don't sign NDA's.

There is no way to protect yourself. That is just a part of raising VC / early stage funding. Best of luck with the process.

Make sure you hire a excellent business attorney w/experience in start ups. Well worth the weight and will prevent alot of mistakes.

Make sure you hire a excellent business attorney w/experience in start ups. Well worth the weight and will prevent alot of mistakes.

+1

Thank You.

I invest in lots of start ups and this above scares me. Let me quote some of the things investors will pick up.

1. I have no business education what so ever.

I invest in lots of start ups and this above scares me. Let me quote some of the things investors will pick up.

1. I have no business education what so ever.

I am guessing he's talking about formal business education, business school.

If that's the case it means nothing, I have no formal business education and I am getting by :icon_mrgreen: , you have to judge everyone on their own merits, I would rather invest in someone who has the 'spark in their eye" than in someone who obtained a degree just because someone advised them it would be a good idea to get one. IMO

I am guessing he's talking about formal business education, business school.

If that's the case it means nothing, I have no formal business education and I am getting by :icon_mrgreen: , you have to judge everyone on their own merits, I would rather invest in someone who has the 'spark in their eye" than in someone who obtained a degree just because someone advised them it would be a good idea to get one. IMO

I agree schooling doesn't mean everything, but certain things need to be done to run a business. Things like licensing, profit and loss, taxes, marketing, budgets, and other experience. Obviously you don't get much from 2 sentences. However if you go onto a Lamborghini forum, there are a few people that spend money on here and are potential investors.