How do you like your Crispy fried... cars??

Wow...such a shiity situation. :( Sorry to hear about this Peak, I hope things get worked out.

First....LOL @ Allan's post!

Second, I recently made a car purchase and the dealer would not let me drive off the lot without having the car insured prior to driving it off the lot. Apparently it is a new law in California. Im not sure if this is accurate or not, but I had to wait on my insurance agent to fax over my policy on a Saturday evening.

That would not surprise me a bit (especially in CA but even in other states), but of course what they're worried about there is the driver not having liability insurance, not coverage for the loss of the vehicle. I'm sure you could have driven away with proof of just liability coverage.

Really sucks, i'd be pissed, what sort of company doesn't take cover that would cover the cost of their loads

50th Anniversary guys should probably check insurance cover if their cars havent been transported there or back yet.

I know my insurance (Allstate) has a 30 day grace period following purchase to add a new vehicle, so if you total it on the way home from the dealer and haven't added it to your policy yet you're protected. Peak, sorry to hear you got caught up in another episode of drama!

Be careful with that 30 day grace period....I know Geico excludes exotic cars on that 30 day grace period. It does not apply to exotics with Geico.

This is a very helpful thread...did not know carriers had such low level of coverage.

Dealer may not let you off the lot without a binder as a condition of the bank if the car is financed.

sorry to hear this. i had a bad experience with a transport company too but mine is nothing compared to yours. NTA Motorsports shipped my murci 2 months ago from Seattle to SF bay area. The trucker, Nick Bradshaw, scratched the wheel of my murci. He said he'd pay for the repair but he never replied to my emails/calls. So stay away from NTA Motorsports and the transport broker, Gold Point.

Double check their insurance policy.. I sell semi trucks and every finance company we deal with requires $1,000,000 policy. So there is a possibility there is another form of insurance they have you can go after. Of course only if they have their equipment financed still. If they own it outright they can lower it as much as they want.

Your car isn't insured until you call your company with a VIN and all the other pertinent info. Sadly, most uniformed buyers DON'T insure cars until they arrive.

So sorry Peak. And to add insult to injury this asshole is doing this?!

I made it a point to get insurance the same day I wired the money.

Peak, I hope you work this out in short order.

Your personal insurance carrier should cover it after the transport company's limit is exhausted. They will pay out under comprehensive coverage and then try to subrogate the loss (go after the transport insurance co).

This is the notice that went to the owners with sensitive names taken out due to legal action which has been filed... pretty pathetic...

I have received some phone calls inquiring about my previous broadcast e mail I sent you earlier this week. I apologize if I was not clear as to its purpose but l will try to explain its ramifications more fully…

1. We have completed inspections of the six damaged cars as of last weekend. I expect that we will be able to circulate the appraisal we did to each individual owner later this week. When you get those documents, please take a look at it to verify accuracy.

2. Although we presently do not have the dollar numbers to provide, it appears for certain that the total damages for all six cars will exceed policy limits of $350,000. When such situations arise, each car owner will incur a partial loss of their financial interest in their car.

3. Neither [COMPANY NAME REMOVED] nor my company have any ownership interest in your cars. Given that even despite the loss, some residual salvage value remains of the cars, you as individual owner(s) of the cars may want to protect that remaining financial interest. We have arranged to pay the tow shop in full for the tow and storage costs to all of the six cars. If some or all of you wish to pick up your car(s) from the tow yard, all you have to do is present documentation of ownership of the car and the car will be released to you. No tow or storage fees will be presented to you by the tow yard for any of the six cars.

4. If you choose to pick up the car or otherwise dispose or sell it, you will need to do so at your own expense with your own driver, tow vehicle or other means of transportation.

5. I have spoken to the owner of the tow yard about time tables as to how long he will continue to allow the cars on his premises to not be charged additional storage fees. He promised to be "reasonable" in this respect as long as the cars are picked up as soon as possible. The daily charge he would normally be charging for a car towed to his yard is $35 per day.

6. I know that the ownership interests involved collectively for the six cars is widespread across the USA so I want to make sure you have time to remove your car(s) if you choose to do so. We will not be allowing any additional storage fees beyond 4/25/2013 in recognition of that factor.

7. Please keep in mind that tow yard operators can and do file lien rights on vehicles that are abandoned on their premises. We just want to impress upon you that you should not look upon the tow yard as a rent free storage location on a long term basis. You do not want to be surprised if one day you find out your car is no longer at the tow yard and you find out it has been sold to other(s) for whatever reason.

Most of you in this memo are probably well versed in the ramifations of tow yards and how they operate. But I just wanted to be clear that removal of your car(s) requires actions on your part and by acting promptly you can avoid any later loss of value regarding salvage. If you have any questions, please call.

Thats fcuking bullshit right there.

thanks for all the comments and support guys... really is pathetic and the main lesson here is to take note of the little things that we take for granted... to be honest i rarely ever line up the transports for any of my cars leaving that up to the tuner or broker i am buying the car from... they take care of business and normally it is just fine...

to see how a company (companies) have handled this, followed by the email is truly adding insult to injury...

i think it would be good for the forum to start a blacklisted beware list of transporters and vendors to stay away from. i know i have been burned a few times and would have been nice to have somewhere that i could have checked for a warning label...

will keep you updated on the outcome...

Double check their insurance policy.. I sell semi trucks and every finance company we deal with requires $1,000,000 policy. So there is a possibility there is another form of insurance they have you can go after. Of course only if they have their equipment financed still. If they own it outright they can lower it as much as they want.

This is likely a liability policy. It covers in incident where if you kill / injure someone in another vehicle etc. In Ray's case, that's cargo insurance and I'm not surprised at all that they only had $250k. You should be able to pose the question to the transport company when you contact them to see what they have for cargo insurance limits.

Two years ago when I bought my Gallardo in D.C. I had listed the car on Central Dispatch (Paid site, not free) and of the 4 bids I received, one of the companies had no insurance what so ever!

Did you leave anything off the email that even resembled an apology?

The thing that gets me about the email is the simple matter-of-fact way they explain that you are S.O.L. - as if it's just a matter of routine that you should be shafted out of $XK'sss.

Regardless, I hope you can get some resolution to this in your favour.

Sucks this happened! We ship cars all over the world for our customers and something we have done from the beginning is get an insurance certificate and we get it verified before they take possession of the car. So anytime shipping a car, the best thing to do is call their insurance agent to verify and have the insurance agent email/fax you the certificate.

Fire probably started by the Ferrari! lol

Really sucks...That is just shady, shady business. I hope this a-hole loses everything he has for hauling loads above his paygrade and insurance limits.

Yikes! What a mess. I would go get your car out of that lot before they try to pull something else, like put a lien on it. So what about the guy's liability that brokered this? He ultimately had control & picked the carrier. Surely he has some responsibility, somewhere.

Really crappy situation, very sorry for this.

It seems to me that checking the carriers insurance policy has its limits, as you'd have no way of knowing the value of any given load your car would be apart of.

I check of this carriers policy would have shown a liability policy well above the value of the OP's GTR as well as being able to cover the total of the majority of the cars being shipped. As luck would have it, this particular load carried a couple of cars worth multiple 100's of $K. Would there be any reasonable way to learn of the trucks actual load...I guess I think that is something that could/would change day by day/hour by hour.

Touch situation for sure, and their followup treatment is poor for sure.

j

Ray that sucks man!!!!! I hate hearing stories like this. I always ship through UGR as the broker they use is very good about making sure the insurance policy covers more than the anticipated load. As a general rule $1.0M policy minimum.

• 1 month later...