Oklahoma Tornado's

pockmark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 children killed when their elementary school got hit... Absolute tragedy.

Yeah I read that after I posted it. Crazy.....may they RIP

Yeah I read that after I posted it. Crazy.....may they RIP

85 casualties... almost all children.

damn. I remember when a tornado hit while I lived in Nebraska (I was 8 at the time). All of us rushed into the school's gym, brick walls and all, heads ducked under our arms for what seemed an eternity. Was surely the scariest time of my life. RIP

Aren't all these schools built in tornado alley built with storm shelters?

If not..why not?

Im hearing the victims drowned.... So maybe they were underground and their shelter flooded when the pipes burst...

I read that the kids at the school were in the hallway which was supposed to be their safe zone, so apparently no storm shelter for them...with a direct hit by an F4 or F5, the building or anyone in it would be in deep trouble. Tornados are scary as heck...

2AlNaMr.gif

The dark red isn't precipitation being picked up by the radar....it is debris.

That is an absolutely textbook hook echo. I have been a storm spotter for a few years now in the upper planes ( did research chasing tornadoes with mobile doppler assistance for a month in OK a few summers ago) and these things demand respect. The issue is that when someone makes a call on the safe side and then nothing happens people tend to not pay attention any more but the consequences are so high you have to listen. I find these storms fascinating in their power but am always appalled by the destruction

Aren't all these schools built in tornado alley built with storm shelters?

If not..why not?

When you are dealing with an EF5 anything short of an underground fallout shelter isnt gonna do a whole lot and unfortunately most schools dont have underground structures. And with tornadoes of this magnitude happening once every 5 ish years the likely hood of it happening to you is extremely low. much like an east coast earthquake it has happened but do you buy insurance for it?

That is an absolutely textbook hook echo. I have been a storm spotter for a few years now in the upper planes ( did research chasing tornadoes with mobile doppler assistance for a month in OK a few summers ago) and these things demand respect. The issue is that when someone makes a call on the safe side and then nothing happens people tend to not pay attention any more but the consequences are so high you have to listen. I find these storms fascinating in their power but am always appalled by the destruction

When you are dealing with an EF5 anything short of an underground fallout shelter isnt gonna do a whole lot and unfortunately most schools dont have underground structures.

Im with you... tornados are fascinating.... The idea of that much power all focused like that... And when you think that its caused by nothing more than hot and cold air....

The power of these huge storms is mind-boggling.

Seems like that with climate change (man-made, natural, whatever), these storms are getting to be worse and worse every year.

Sometime back, I had done some Googling on could a person tie themselves down so as to prevent a tornado from pulling you away. It said that the scene in the movie "Twister" where Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton tie themselves to the pipes, then the tornado comes over and pulls away the shed they're in and pulls them up and they get to see inside the tornado is completely fake---that in reality, the forces of that tornado are so strong that it would physically pull them through the belt they had around their waist or pull them in half in the process, but it would pull them out of it. The forces of the tornado are phenomenally strong.

Sometime back, I had done some Googling on could a person tie themselves down so as to prevent a tornado from pulling you away. It said that the scene in the movie "Twister" where Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton tie themselves to the pipes, then the tornado comes over and pulls away the shed they're in and pulls them up and they get to see inside the tornado is completely fake---that in reality, the forces of that tornado are so strong that it would physically pull them through the belt they had around their waist or pull them in half in the process, but it would pull them out of it. The forces of the tornado are phenomenally strong.

I would think that the bigger 'reality' would be that you would be crushed and pulverized by debris long before you hit the center.

Such a tragedy. May all the victims families find peace but especially the parent's of those who died at the elementary schools.

This is from a different tornado but gives you an idea of what that wind speed can do...

post-679-1369135554_thumb.jpg

The power of these huge storms is mind-boggling.

Seems like that with climate change (man-made, natural, whatever), these storms are getting to be worse and worse every year.

They aren't really though.... The WORST, WORST, WORST tornado ever was in 1925... Then there was the 74 outbreak, that had several 30 EF 4 & 5s one that cut across most of the Ohio River valley- like 100 miles long...

The reason they SEEM to be getting worse, is because there are a lot more people living in their paths than there were before... 50 years ago, this tornado would have torn up bob's farm, population 5... Now Bobs farm is a subdivision in a major suburb of Oklahoma city with A POPULATION OF 55,000. (In 1960 Moore Oklahoma had a population of 1700 people... Today its 55,000).

They aren't really though.... The WORST, WORST, WORST tornado ever was in 1925... Then there was the 74 outbreak, that had several 30 EF 4 & 5s one that cut across most of the Ohio River valley- like 100 miles long...

The reason they SEEM to be getting worse, is because there are a lot more people living in their paths than there were before... 50 years ago, this tornado would have torn up bob's farm, population 5... Now Bobs farm is a subdivision in a major suburb of Oklahoma city with A POPULATION OF 55,000. (In 1960 Moore Oklahoma had a population of 1700 people... Today its 55,000).

Great food for thought as always Roman, I hadnt thought of that.

Thoughts and prayers are with the victims today. I cant imagine how terrifying going through something like that must be. :(

This is from a different tornado but gives you an idea of what that wind speed can do...

Tornado's are really strange in what they can do. Few years back a Tornado hit my uncles farm. Walking around there seeing what happened was strange. There was strands of hay sticking out of trees.