gaming system/theater help?

SV-N-IT

im building a theater as we speak and i want to have a cool gaming system hooked up to the big screen.

i played gran turismo on a play station at Lambo PB and it was awesome! (so realistic)

is this pretty much the best option for car racing?

any input would be appreciated. im not familiar with the different systems available.

If you want a console PS3 is by far my favorite. BluRay, 3D, wireless, High GB internal storage, plays almost all video formats imaginable, and free online playing.

You can also do two, in which I would suggest running a PS3 and a full gaming PC build as PC's have a ton of REAL Simulator racing games. PC's are very powerful and will never be phased out, you need but upgrade your hardware every 4-5 years.

Best

Consider waiting a little bit. They are announcing the new Playstation and Xbox consoles this week. E3 is happening, so that's a good place to see what's coming out in regard to gaming.

Best in what sense?

Gran Turismo isn't bad overall, it probably does have the best graphics given the 200 or so Premium cars that comes with it. The cars do feel weighed so it feels more of a difference...in terms of a feel, a bit below that would be Forza for the Xbox, and with the new Forza coming out on Xbox One, that might actually be the system for you to get in a theatre set up as it would do everything in the end and Forza 5 is bound to be very good.

If you're, for some reason, needing that console now...PS3 might be a better bet, but I'd honestly say that the Xbox is a better console in the end because it has many more games for you to play that are all pretty good (Forza 4, Forza Horizon)...both consoles have a variety of Need for Speed games and other racers that you may enjoy.

The PS4, on the other hand of the Xbox One, also has Drive Club coming and PS3 is supposed to have the new Gran Turismo coming out....it's honestly more of a dependance if you have a fancy for a certain franchise, or for even the controller feel. I prefer the Xbox controller as my hands are larger and my hands tend to cramp up faster with the PS3 controller. Also I find the controller on the PS3 isn't as fun when it comes to racing games.

In the end, personally, I would say wait for the next generation if you can at this point...otherwise if you want it to do a lot of things and you have a lot of blue rays, the PS3...online IS free with the PS3 but is definitely more unstable....at least it is for me....The Xbox is 60 dollars a year, but it is more stable and will stream just like the PS3 can...so it comes down to games, controller and usage...

Consider waiting a little bit. They are announcing the new Playstation and Xbox consoles this week. E3 is happening, so that's a good place to see what's coming out in regard to gaming.

Didn't they already announce them?

The play station 4 and xbox1?

The Xbox 1 will not be backwards compatible. In your shoes Bill, I'd get one of each.

Didn't they already announce them?

The play station 4 and xbox1?

The Xbox 1 will not be backwards compatible. In your shoes Bill, I'd get one of each.

Xbox did already. PS4 is sometime this month I think.

dam! great info guys! it looks like ill have to get two systems to have the best of both worlds.

if i have a few people over can we race each other? or is it only solo driving?

thank you

You can also do two, in which I would suggest running a PS3 and a full gaming PC build as PC's have a ton of REAL Simulator racing games. PC's are very powerful and will never be phased out, you need but upgrade your hardware every 4-5 years.

Best

:iamwithstupid: You can build a powerful media PC for your PC gaming and TV needs. Hook up a wheel/pedal setup to it and subscribe to iRacing.

http://www.iracing.com/

:iamwithstupid: You can build a powerful media PC for your PC gaming and TV needs. Hook up a wheel/pedal setup to it and subscribe to iRacing.

http://www.iracing.com/

I've heard good things about iRacing and might give it a try when i get my computer finished. Could be a lot of fun!

If you want any heads up about dealing with the PS3 in a theater setting and things you can do, drop me a PM.

Have fun with the build.

MAC, they just released the trailer for the game 'The Crew' for the PS4. It looks AMAZING! Check it out.

MAC, they just released the trailer for the game 'The Crew' for the PS4. It looks AMAZING! Check it out.

The crew looks badass. GTA5 I"m looking forward to as well. I like that franchise.

The crew looks badass. GTA5 I"m looking forward to as well. I like that franchise.

Agreed. Very solid. Between 'The Crew' and 'Need for Speed' we have a nice selection for the next gens.

Best

Are you looking to do a big screen TV or a projector? Separate amps, pre/pro or a receiver? Do you want it just for gaming or theater too.

I have built a few theaters (all in different houses I owned or rented)

price range? or anything goes. Theaters are like cars you get a VW for a few grand or go full on Lambo for a few hundred thousand or more.

They did just announce gran turismo 6 will be coming out for the playstation 3 in November. Not for the PS4

It seems like Sony loves to release a revised or brand new version of Grand Tourismo in order to coincide with each of the Tokyo Motor Show.

Are you looking to do a big screen TV or a projector? Separate amps, pre/pro or a receiver? Do you want it just for gaming or theater too.

I have built a few theaters (all in different houses I owned or rented)

price range? or anything goes. Theaters are like cars you get a VW for a few grand or go full on Lambo for a few hundred thousand or more.

:iamwithstupid:

Perhaps I am being too hardcore but IMO, you cannot calibrate the projector for both; it's either for theatre or for gaming or a compromise between the two. I find most game consoles have pretty lousy sound (i.e. not talking about how loud it gets but how it gets loud); ironically, the ancient Sony PS1 is actually a fairly good CD player for sound quality. With each iteration of the PS, the video quality took a giant leap but the sound is about the same (i.e. surround sound does not translate to better sound quality; in fact, sometimes it backfires). XBox audio quality is barely passable at best.

A good projector will have multiple memory settings. For gaming you have to go DLP and NOT L-COS, SXRD, or LCD. If you want the best of both worlds...i.e the colors from an SXRD / LCOS like JVC projectors go with an LED powered DLP projector like the Runco Q-750, Q-1500 or the 3D D73D.

I have the Q750 and it does work well for gaming and movies... just not bright enough with the lights on... that is where the Q1500 or the D-73 take over. There is a D-73D for sale on EBay from a dealer for 20K. It retails for 50K! He is a nice guy and I have bought from him in the past.

I know the next gen (XBOX ONe and PS4) will have very good sound and might be worth sending through a pre.pro or receiver. I use an Anthem AVM50V. I also like the brand new McIntosh and Denon's ultra high end are very nice for the price... there are better, but the price starts getting really crazy... ADA with built in room correction can go for 20K plus. etc etc.

rovingtravler, I have a JVC X95RKT for regular use and a Barco Galaxy 4K-23 for some special applications (it needs a 240V AC mains to work). As you probably know, these do have multiple memory settings. The 4K-23 should be bright enough but I still don't think it's the best of both world --- 3-chip DLP is still relatively in its infancy. I am a more serious sound guy than the video guy so for sound, I have the Anthem Statement D2v (which is about to get upgraded for 3D) feeding some Krells. Theatre surround sound is getting better but far from getting to esoteric hi-fi boundary. And it's more for sound effects than regular sound so I tend not to go too crazy. The cabling alone is a serious 5-figure sum if not careful. (But just getting the dialogue to sound "right" is driving me nuts.) 2-channel is another matter and, perhaps, another world; the sky is then the limit for that.

Anyway, MAC-N-IT, what are your room size, budget and needs/expectations? Direct view or projection? And do you need a "theme" HT?

im using the 240 80" sharp flat screen w/integra, JL audio, and revel.

i watched the heat game last night in HD and the sound/picture was amazing IMO! (im no professional AV guy) lol

im thinking PS3 or wait for PS4 and get all the accessories etc..

thx for your help guys! great info here.

im using the 240 80" sharp flat screen w/integra, JL audio, and revel.

i watched the heat game last night in HD and the sound/picture was amazing IMO! (im no professional AV guy) lol

im thinking PS3 or wait for PS4 and get all the accessories etc..

thx for your help guys! great info here.

Ok, how about just a bit more info. pls? :)

i.e. Integra receiver or Integra processor + pwr amps? What model? JL Audio for subs? What type of Revel's?

If you want to keep most of what you have now, I would change the power amps: i.e. if you are using a receiver, keep it as a processor, take out the jumpers at the rear and connect the Integra into some power amps. If you have separate processor and amps, just switch to some new amps.

That should be it if you are happy with what you have. Otherwise, it really really depends on what your budget is. That applies to the pwr amps too. E.g. you really get go wrong by using Mark Levinson amps on the Revels (although they tend to sound a bit "dark"); but that's serious $$. Lexicon would be a more relevant choice subject to, of course, what type of Revels you have. Levinson, Lexicon & Revel all belong to the same mother company. But the best bang-for-the-buck choice would be Bryston.

Pls don't take this the wrong way but to upgrade on what you have, you probably need to start another system altogether. If that's the way you want to go, that's fine. But if you are content with what you have, then what I posted above should be more than sufficient.

Hope this helps.

With all the knowledge of our LP members we can move away and start our own country :icon_mrgreen:

VCR is the AV guru :turboalex:

VCR for my new house, yay or nay?

image.jpg

Ok, how about just a bit more info. pls? :)

i.e. Integra receiver or Integra processor + pwr amps? What model? JL Audio for subs? What type of Revel's?

If you want to keep most of what you have now, I would change the power amps: i.e. if you are using a receiver, keep it as a processor, take out the jumpers at the rear and connect the Integra into some power amps. If you have separate processor and amps, just switch to some new amps.

That should be it if you are happy with what you have. Otherwise, it really really depends on what your budget is. That applies to the pwr amps too. E.g. you really get go wrong by using Mark Levinson amps on the Revels (although they tend to sound a bit "dark"); but that's serious $$. Lexicon would be a more relevant choice subject to, of course, what type of Revels you have. Levinson, Lexicon & Revel all belong to the same mother company. But the best bang-for-the-buck choice would be Bryston.

Pls don't take this the wrong way but to upgrade on what you have, you probably need to start another system altogether. If that's the way you want to go, that's fine. But if you are content with what you have, then what I posted above should be more than sufficient.

Hope this helps.

wow great info! my theater is not completed yet, but so far it sounds great! im picking up PS3 today with racing bundle!

ill probably leave it the way it is for now. they just finished wiring for the savant home automation and it is truely spectacular! an iphone is built in to the remote, very cool!