Car show

megachad

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best stories I have heard is one from Sprite years ago. He posted that he was at a car show with his VI Murci, and after hanging around his car for a while, he walked away to go to a different part of the venue. He came back a while later to discover a line of dumbass people were taking turns jumping in and out of his car for pictures without a care in the world. When he went to leave, he realized someone had lost their cell phone between the seats while doing so. As I recall the words, "Karma is a bitch" :)

You should've just jumped in the car and leave.

I should have, and he wanted to. We were in a tough spot with a ton of people around. It would have been difficult to leave. However I should have anyways.

I take a certain amount of shit for not making our Cars and Coffee group more inclusive, but the fact is, nobody wants to park their car in a public place and have the masses fondle it. If you're the "type" to let people climb in for pictures and stuff, that's great, but most people aren't going to allow that. I have kept our group kind of small because I never want one of my members/friends/guests to have to worry about expensive and needless property damage associated with something I am hosting.

Yeah, I know him - but the question remains. What was the outcome? What did he do? Any recourse?

I don't remember. I'll have to ask him when I see him. I just remember he was pissed and he's one of those guys who's always in a good mood.

Haha. All you guys have me debating going to a Cars and Coffee tomorrow like I had thought about doing. Its 62 miles each way and while it is cool to see the cars and I feel pretty safe leaving the car unattended, I get bored of standing around after doing a quick walk around the lot and find myself looking at the watch after that. Maybe I'll just go for a drive around town instead.

Some truly unbelievable stories here. Wow. Never once in my life have I thought it would be ok to even open someone's $30K car and sit inside and touch everything, never mind a $200K vehicle. I don't own any cars worth showing (MX5 anyone? haha..), my passion mostly lies in motorcycles. In my time though I've owned a couple rare superbikes from a certain manufacturer in Bologna and had to deal with disrespectful people sitting on it, picking it up, asking for rides, followed, etc.

And that's all with a vehicle that costs far less than a Lamborghini... I don't want to know what would happen to me if I did own an Italian exotic car.

I take a certain amount of shit for not making our Cars and Coffee group more inclusive, but the fact is, nobody wants to park their car in a public place and have the masses fondle it. If you're the "type" to let people climb in for pictures and stuff, that's great, but most people aren't going to allow that. I have kept our group kind of small because I never want one of my members/friends/guests to have to worry about expensive and needless property damage associated with something I am hosting.

:iamwithstupid:

Haha. All you guys have me debating going to a Cars and Coffee tomorrow like I had thought about doing. Its 62 miles each way and while it is cool to see the cars and I feel pretty safe leaving the car unattended, I get bored of standing around after doing a quick walk around the lot and find myself looking at the watch after that. Maybe I'll just go for a drive around town instead.

If you are referring to Great Falls, you are totally safe. Best show and never seen one instance of this shit happening.

Some truly unbelievable stories here. Wow. Never once in my life have I thought it would be ok to even open someone's $30K car and sit inside and touch everything, never mind a $200K vehicle. I don't own any cars worth showing (MX5 anyone? haha..), my passion mostly lies in motorcycles. In my time though I've owned a couple rare superbikes from a certain manufacturer in Bologna and had to deal with disrespectful people sitting on it, picking it up, asking for rides, followed, etc.

And that's all with a vehicle that costs far less than a Lamborghini... I don't want to know what would happen to me if I did own an Italian exotic car.

fcuk... Im afraid to walk near a motorcycle... The damned things always look like a fart could make them fall over...

I am sorry to hear that your car was damaged. Nothing sucks more than going to an event to hang out with fellow enthusiasts and share your pride and joy only to have some inconsiderate, disrespectful individual (regardless of age) show absolute disregard for your property. I know that much of the general public has no idea whats involved with owning a exotic or collectable car and most could care less, but I have to agree that in recent years the utterly obnoxious, go out of my way to mess with you attitude has hit an all time high. I too am at a point where I don't even want to go to the local Cars and Coffee because it has become less about hanging out with like minded car enthusiast and more about hoards of people coming from all around to check out the cool exotics. There have even been recent comments from non-participants on the C&C Facebook page sharing their disappointment that the event was less interesting because not enough exotics showed up (I wonder why?). At two recent 'private' events I had uninvited guests attempt to open my cars to help themselves. The more recent occasion, I intentionally left the driver side door of the Aventador open so people could look in. I stood near the car to keep an eye out for people who are convinced that they need to look with their hands. A teenager walks up to my car after I saw him slamming the door on someone else's F360. Not knowing if he owned or knew the owner of the F360, I kept an eye on him as he approached my car. He walks around to driver side and looks in and doesn't touch the car, but then proceeds to walk around to the passenger side and starts forcefully pulling on the handle which was closed and locked. I walk up behind him and caused him to jump out of his skin when I told him in a very stern (i am about to knock your ass out) tone that I appreciate you not touching anyones car and there was nothing in my car that he couldn't see from the drivers side, which was open for that very reason. I think going forward I will keep my participation to get-togethers with small groups of friends and closed to the public events. Sad but it only takes one experience like this were something gets damaged to forever ruin your future experiences.

I was there, and I feel the same way. Ian....we should just get a few other people together and do our own thing.

fcuk... Im afraid to walk near a motorcycle... The damned things always look like a fart could make them fall over...

Side stands are actually quite sturdy. Farting near one is still not advisable though haha.. the owners most likely won't appreciate it much and some bikers are complete a-holes.

Owning an exotic is quite a PITA, you have to deal with so much nonsense, I know people who don't own one would find this comment ridiculous but it really isn't and when/if they get to own one they will fully understand it.

I've been followed, asked to race pretty much every time I go out, have cars speeding around or behind trying to keep up to demonstrate their cars are faster, people hanging out of moving cars taking photos or videos,I had people sitting on, leaning on, touching, jumping in, laying flat on the hood at traffic lights, waiting outside my house, following me home, the most unpleasant thing ever happened, while waiting at he lights some low life for absolutely no reason spat on the car calling me a rich c**t then took off laughing with his buddy.

You have to plan your trips, you can't park it anywhere feeling comfortable with where you left the car, no public places where most of the above can happen.The car attracts unnecessary unwanted attention to yourself from pretty much everyone.I prefer not to tell anyone what I own and what I don't, the times when you are proud of your own achievements are long gone, replaced by jealous people who seek "equality" in everything, if you poke your head a touch higher it has to be slashed.

It's a complete circus!

I bought the car for my own enjoyment but I don't get to have fun in it, I have very few opportunities to take the car out without encountering some of the above, combine that with my general lack of spare time and when I do have spare time I spend it with my family, I haven't touched the car in more than 3 months and it's a real shame.

That's one of the reason GIRO was a massive hit, the public was EXTREMELY respectful and the cars were always guarded and monitored, you felt comfortable enjoying them with everyone else around you. It should be like that all the time, not your property look at it, ask for permission and if granted proceed to sit inside, touch, etc.

If you are referring to Great Falls, you are totally safe. Best show and never seen one instance of this shit happening.

Out at Reston Town Center a few months ago there was a Ferrari show with the streets closed off. For the most part, people were fine but there was one instance of an overweight lady nearly sitting on a friend's Pantera....with a carbon fiber hood would certainly have been big damage.

Man how the perspective of exotic cars have changed since I was 16-17. Back then wanted one thinking it was the greatest thing ever, it would make you cooler, people would like it, and everything would be great. :lol2:

Now it's "damn, how would people react to me owning this thing, will they be jealous, will I look insecure....where do you leave this car....man, a lot of worries". :icon_mrgreen:

I heard the best reply to the "he has a **** he can afford to fix it" line once some guy at a local car show had his diablo mirror broken by a young kid who backed into it on accident while photographing another car (to his credit he felt so bad he walked around to find the owner and apologize) and some bystander dropped that line loud enough for the owner to hear and he turned and said " and you have a pair of balls so you can make another kid too right" the dad grabbed his kid and walked very briskly out of there.

Yeah, I ended up going. Was a countsch there, early Murcie, couple Gs, and a ton of other stuff. Always love the variety there and I feel pretty safe with that crowd. It is tucked away enough that you don't really get the gen pop in there. If you're up that way sometime let me know. The only reason I rarely go is that it is such a hike at around 130 miles round trip. I left at 6 am and there were no good spaces left. Had to park around back

Not a Lambo story, but a friend and I had been riding our motorcycles around Toronto. Parked on a street downtown and went to grab a quick coffee. Got back right in time to find some random drunk club sluts sitting/taking pictures on the bikes and dropping them both over - cracked/rashed fairings.

Of course they promptly ran away, not before a crowd of people gathered to laugh at our misfortune (of course).

Not a single bystander offered a hand. Gotta love the general public.

I have been a number of car shows and seen the disrespect towards owners cars. It's disgusting.

I wish manners were taught in school as a mandatory course. My parents beat them into me from a young age.

I never understood the fascination of sitting on or laying on an exotic. No matter if someone worked hard or started from nothing and got the car, and understands being on the other side I still never get the whole "hey lets sit on this car" Did a drive to napa with some friends a bit ago. A few of us left early and 3 of my friends stayed after for dinner at one of the wineries. They left a black gallardo, a black r8 and a red 360 in the parking lot. When they came out 3 drunk bitches where sprawled all over the car taking pictures with those horrendous studded jeans.

as many of you stated it starts with parents when it has to do with kids, and when its adults its just a matter or having respect. unfortunately respect has gone way out the door for individuals that have more than others. Its a shame. Pisses me off everytime. I just dont understand why someone wouldnt just ask permission or better yet not sit on the fcuking car. Everyone is now just entitled to think that if its parked there they can do whatever. Wish there was an alarm system that would electrify them when they touch it.

Owning an exotic is quite a PITA, you have to deal with so much nonsense, I know people who don't own one would find this comment ridiculous but it really isn't and when/if they get to own one they will fully understand it.

I've been followed, asked to race pretty much every time I go out, have cars speeding around or behind trying to keep up to demonstrate their cars are faster, people hanging out of moving cars taking photos or videos,I had people sitting on, leaning on, touching, jumping in, laying flat on the hood at traffic lights, waiting outside my house, following me home, the most unpleasant thing ever happened, while waiting at he lights some low life for absolutely no reason spat on the car calling me a rich c**t then took off laughing with his buddy.

You have to plan your trips, you can't park it anywhere feeling comfortable with where you left the car, no public places where most of the above can happen.The car attracts unnecessary unwanted attention to yourself from pretty much everyone.I prefer not to tell anyone what I own and what I don't, the times when you are proud of your own achievements are long gone, replaced by jealous people who seek "equality" in everything, if you poke your head a touch higher it has to be slashed.

It's a complete circus!

I bought the car for my own enjoyment but I don't get to have fun in it, I have very few opportunities to take the car out without encountering some of the above, combine that with my general lack of spare time and when I do have spare time I spend it with my family, I haven't touched the car in more than 3 months and it's a real shame.

That's one of the reason GIRO was a massive hit, the public was EXTREMELY respectful and the cars were always guarded and monitored, you felt comfortable enjoying them with everyone else around you. It should be like that all the time, not your property look at it, ask for permission and if granted proceed to sit inside, touch, etc.

I sold my Murci last summer and I swore it would be the last exotic I would own.

You have perfectly exemplified the "why" behind it.

After years of ownership, the dream, the achievement, the freedom, and everything positive that these cars represented for me has become tarnished; destroyed by a society overrun with disrespectful morons, douche-bags, and haters who have been brainwashed to believe that they are poor because of someone elses' success.

I used to *love* driving these cars but after about 5 years, things started to change.

Every fucktard wants to race.

I've been paced and rev-runned for miles.

My gym has a parking lot the size of a football field; I've parked the car in the back, the farthest from the entrance and still some retard finds it necessary to park right next to me, not only next to me, but literally 6 inches from me where Lambo doors are a requirement just to get into the car!

I've had people follow me home (One time a carload of *thugs* straight from the hood in a rusty Caprice tried to follow me through the gate of my community)

I've had people in oncoming traffic hurl spit balls and throw empty soda cans into my roadsters' cockpit while driving.

I've had teenage idiots lean on the car to take photos, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. (Ya know, the cool kid with the studded jeans and chains hanging from his belt)

I've had a cigarette put out on the hood of the car, it left a permanent scar ...

I've had my driver side window smashed while on a nice peaceful roadtrip to Vegas -- someone smashed it while I took a 5 minute pit stop to get some snacks.

The snarky comments, and of course, the tailgating.

As an owner, I started modifying my behavior. No more rides at dark. I stopped taking the car out on Friday and Saturday nights. I stopped valeting when the photos fests became a moron magnet. I quickly learned as well that the car shows were complete fcuk fests. I stopped going. Suddenly, my driving excursions were reserved to early mornings.

Ultimately, my driving sessions became a painful reminder of how much things have changed. Instead of being inspirited by driving, it become disheartening. It was something I wanted to ignore, but found it increasingly difficult.

During the spring, we must have had weeks of sunny, 78 degree weather -- perfect Murci Roadster whether. During this time, I don't think I drove the car once.

That's when I knew it was time to sell and that something might have irrevocably changed for me.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Having a nice vintage car in the collection like an Alfa Romeo Giulia or an E30 M3 enables you to go out whenever you want and avoid the crowds but still have a bunch of fun.

Pretty sad how society thinks nowadays. All the young celebrities and music artists buy an exotic without any idea how to drive and objectify the cars.

Pretty sad how society thinks nowadays. All the young celebrities and music artists buy an exotic without any idea how to drive and objectify the cars.

Someone's profession and age has nothing to do with how others' treat your car. You don't need to be an accountant to enjoy a Lamborghini (or any other car for that matter). :icon_thumleft: