2003 Murcielago Coolant Replacement

captain351

Greetings all. I have been so busy traveling lately and with no local lamborghini dealer my 2003 Murcielago is a bit behind in service now. For example I detected minor leak in the coolant overflow pipe (out of the top of the coolant reservoir) after taking the car for a short drive last week.

Easy enough to replace the pipe (well feeding it back under the inlet manifold was tricky), but I noticed this must have been there for a time (dry coolant residue on the back firewall) and the coolant level was down from where it should be in the reservoir. Being the cautious type this has prompted me to service the whole coolant system starting with a good flush and replace the coolant. Ordinarily I would just have this done at the next service, but having no local dealer is proving a pain.

Anyway looking at the owners hanbook the original coolant is stated as Agip ECO Permanant which is definitely not available in Australia. Has anyone flushed their coolant system on a 2003 Muci and can recommended an alternative brand and spec to the OEM Agip product. According to the Agip data sheet this was a Turquiose coloured coolant. My main concern is to get a suitable alernative with the same coolant properties that will also protect the engine components. A plus would also be some guide / instruction on the basic procedure to flush and replace the coolant on the 03 Murci :-) I would assume there is a specific set of drain and air bleed points on the car.

Taking a mental note, I must try an track down some sort of workshop manual to assist with these basic service tasks on the Murcielago. I would not even know if such an item is available or where to purchase one from a reliable source.

Hope someone can help with my coolant enquiry

It uses the same coolant as vw/Audi

It's called g12++ or g12+. There is some compatibility concern as there are multiple versions of it. Amazon has it but your vw and Audi dealer maybe more convenient.

Here is a thread on thishttp://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44046&hl=Coolant

It uses the same coolant as vw/Audi

It's called g12++ or g12+. There is some compatibility concern as there are multiple versions of it. Amazon has it but your vw and Audi dealer maybe more convenient.

Here is a thread on thishttp://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44046&hl=Coolant

Many thanks for the info and link reference.

• 1 month later...

Hey does anyone know how to drain the coolant system and bleed it afterwards. I need to find a good procedure to replace the coolant in the 2003 Murcielago. Even if there is a source where I can purchase the proper service manual which might include these steps would help.

• 6 years later...
20 hours ago, sprite said:

Bumping an old thread here. What are the rear aprons?  Is it the carbon fiber covers?

Not exactly sure, but they are referring to the paneling around that area. It may be the wheel arch liners in the rear wheels closest to the back of the car, or there are also some panels along the side of the exhaust system.

I didn't bother with the drain plugs, I just pulled the hoses from the bottom of the radiators and then stuck the hose from my 7qt suction brake bleeder into the radiators to suck out any coolant left at the bottom. I was changing all the coolant hoses anyway, so that was easiest.

I also got a lot more coolant out of the engine by putting the suction tube down the entry of the water pump.

The best way to refill the Murci (and just about any car) is a vacuum filler. You can get them on Amazon. It's not that necessary because the coolant system has self bleeding plumbing (the small hoses), but it goes a lot easier. When doing it without a vacuum filler, I had to wait for the system to burp itself before I could get all the coolant into it. I just let it sit for a while and I was then able to fill it up.