What's a GT worth now?

abolfaz

There is no reason for the pricing to climb on these like they have. Two years ago you could buy these cars for 150k with whatever miles, low or high, didn't seem to affect the pricing too much. Wholesale was even less. Heritage cars then, stuck around 200k. But, for some reason the FGT parallels the CGT in perceived value or asking prices. COuld be that both cars were only produced for 2 year and fairly limited production numbers.

On the other hand, I know some Heritage cars now are priced over 350k...so that puts you in CURRENT price points of a CGT...something I'd much rather have over a FGT. A lot of the FGT cars did get exported, a small percentage wrecked, and unfortunately for Mike, the people that have the ones with miles on them, they're keeping them and driving them...think about it as it only makes sense. Buy a FGT 2 years ago for 140-150 with 5k miles on it, drive it for 2 years putting 10k miles on it...and the thing is NOW worth 175-200k...for whats supposed to be a depreciating asset, that's not too bad...and if people believe they will continue to climb in value, then they're going to keep driving and keep holding them.

Time to buy was about a year ago when they were priced right still. Now, they really aren't changing hands much anymore....stale inventory for some. I know someone with two of them, I'd be happy to give him a call and see if he wants to unload one of them for you Mike. You have my number, feel free to call anytime.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two years ago i bought the zr1 instead of a FGT, as the POS has more space. what a killer in depreciation difference!! the penalty of being too tall.

that was my situation ~2 years ago, I had enough of my Viper ACR and was going to get my first POS, the ZR1, then got to thinking why not just put up some more cash and go with a true american exotic...

fiksegts-1340504278-d_pic.jpg

two years ago i bought the zr1 instead of a FGT, as the POS has more space. what a killer in depreciation difference!! the penalty of being too tall.

Imo, way too many built to justify the current ask prices. With that said, I passed up a red theft recovery fgt 18 months ago, clean title, bad car fax with 22k miles for $100k. I should have grabbed it and just painted it the color I wanted.

I have seen pics of your car on other forums. It sits perfect and looks fantastic. These cars are long term keepers , no doubt! I miss mine and look forward to the day of repeat ownership of one.

Thanks brother.

I agree with everyone else, its crazy how much they have appreciated. What an awesome investment for anyone who bought one a few years ago and who has basically been able to drive it for FREE all this time!

I remember years ago, the Ford dealership in my hometown (little town in North Jersey that no one has heard of) had a white one with blue stripes on their showroom floor, and every car guy in town seemed to be buzzing about it. After hearing about it for 8 months to a year, I finally stopped into the dealership on my way past one day so I could check out the car myself. They had a sticker on it for $136 or 138k, and the salesman that I spoke to about it said the dealership owner had kept it around just to draw in customers. If it wasnt sold by the end of the month, it was getting transferred to another dealership.

Instead of losing money in the stock market that year, I should have just schemed a way to buy that car! LOL

Imo, way too many built to justify the current ask prices. With that said, I passed up a red theft recovery fgt 18 months ago, clean title, bad car fax with 22k miles for $100k. I should have grabbed it and just painted it the color I wanted.

How many did they build exactly?

They could have built twice as many FGTs as Murcis or Gallardos and they should still be worth more.

i love the FGT , the looks, its mid-engined... but above $200k i find it a bit crazy. I would prefer to save up some more till i can afford a Carrera GT. However, I do agree that they will likely continue to appreciate. Its just that at that entry price lvl i prefer to buy smthg else (CGT) at a steeper price. $150k i'd have one in a blink of an eye!

Let's cut to the chase.

It's not a Lamborghini, it's not a Ferrari. Hell, it's not even a Porsche.

That's what all this pricing concern is about.

It's a better driving car than most of what's out there. Has a ton of character with the interior, doors, styling, engine sound, shifter/clutch feel. That a newer Lambo or Ferrari might outperform it means very little.

For my sake and others, I hope it never becomes astronomically expensive but this car still does not get the respect it deserves in the enthusiast community.

Let's cut to the chase.

It's not a Lamborghini, it's not a Ferrari. Hell, it's not even a Porsche.

That's what all this pricing concern is about.

It's a better driving car than most of what's out there. Has a ton of character with the interior, doors, styling, engine sound, shifter/clutch feel. That a newer Lambo or Ferrari might outperform it means very little.

For my sake and others, I hope it never becomes astronomically expensive but this car still does not get the respect it deserves in the enthusiast community.

on the contrary, i think it has tons of respect from the enthusiast community. the car won't appreciate so much if people didn't like and respect the car. it's soo good that owners rarely sell them or even buy multiple units which causes the price to go up.

and as to a newer ferrari or lambo outperforming it. this is very much arguable. even if you get the factory pulley and tune upgrade, it's going to leave behind modern ferraris and lambos.

I talked to Sprite about the Ford GT last week, his theory is that half of them are probably crashed now and that affects value and might be the reason you don't see them around anymore. I've never seen one in traffic my entire life.

I've see one. That was 3 years ago. It had Michigan plates and was passing through the state on the toll road. I'm a huge fan of the GT. It looks like nothing else. I can't remember that last time I saw a Heritage for sale. I'm sure some digging around would find one, but they're not readily for sale like they were just a year ago.

I've see one. That was 3 years ago. It had Michigan plates and was passing through the state on the toll road. I'm a huge fan of the GT. It looks like nothing else. I can't remember that last time I saw a Heritage for sale. I'm sure some digging around would find one, but they're not readily for sale like they were just a year ago.

I see plenty of F-cars and Lambos, but last time I saw a FGT was on the Golden Gate bridge a couple years ago.

I'm 35 minutes, give or take, from Chicago. I see the run of Fcars, Lambos, R8s, Carrera GTs, Phantoms, Astons...you name it. Only seen the one FGT.

This one says it is priced to sell fast and only has 1750 miles on it. However they are asking 15mil. I think it is a typo and they are probably asking 150k which leads me to believe it probably has an accident on it's title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=221267257465

The car looks the business. Saw one with gulf livery on I-684 here in NY, and it still is an eye-grabber.

Are these cars reliable? Regardless of the experience Jeremy Clarkson had (or claims to have), I feel the car should be pretty easy to maintain, between the Ford V8, manual transmission, lack of serious technology (correct me if I'm mistaken).

I have seen a few in south florida, but I see WAY more Lambos, Ferraris, etc.

It is actually one of the cars in most recent memory that made me catch up to it in traffic to listen to it go.

That was a red with white stripes car in Miami, with what sounded like exhaust/tune/no cats/headers...

Was loud as shit, but sounded INCREDIBLE. Likes Sprites old black car.

It is what an american exotic should should like (as funny as that sounds).

Oh and the prices are the way they are since Peak has 3450 of the 3500 in his hangar...

i think a new record was set for a Heritage that sold for 417K a couple of weeks ago... and there are a lot of other high $$ ones out there as the availability of the cars has become more scarce...

200k seems to be the going price now especially with sub 1000 mileage cars going in the 220-230k most of the time.

i sold a red/white bone stock 4 option car with 1500 miles on it for 190K a month ago to a friend of mine and he could easily flip it for a bunch more

if you find a car for MSRP and it has no stories buy it or let me know :D

This one says it is priced to sell fast and only has 1750 miles on it. However they are asking 15mil. I think it is a typo and they are probably asking 150k which leads me to believe it probably has an accident on it's title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=221267257465

THat price is just so they don't have to deal with bids and can take offers.

There's a definite and obvious reason the cars are going up in value. No more production, no successor model and a fairly high rate of attrition for existing cars. The window of opportunity on a "next" GT that would materially affect the value of 05-06 cars is closed. Likelihood of anything remotely GT related is very, very slim. Cars continue to get wadded up. Some people go around claiming 2,000 have been totaled. Um, no. I would say more like 500 wiped from the earth, maybe double that with some kind of ding, and I get to see a whole lot of GTs in crashed condition with the VINs taped over.

I think the prices have gone up too fast recently, and there's some definite stupidity in the auction mania. But I don't think you're ever going to see them plummet back to MSRP. GT holds up well against cars nearly 10 years newer and it's just a fun car to drive/own. Part of the pricing is driven by the massive amount of people that own multiple. Guys that own them love them, and because they can't get a new one, they hoard the old ones.

I would say true market on virtually all cars is about what Shelby at Elite Autos asks. He's generally within a couple percentage points of what they sell for on his asking prices. He usually sells the lower mileage stuff (sub 10k), but I will say the higher mileage prices are what blow my mind. I've seen some pretty beat cars with 20k+ miles go for MSRP+. I thought a buddy of mine overpaid at $150k on a car that took a pretty heavy hit. Now I've seen similar cars go for $20k more. Wouldn't have called that one.

There's a definite and obvious reason the cars are going up in value. No more production, no successor model and a fairly high rate of attrition for existing cars. The window of opportunity on a "next" GT that would materially affect the value of 05-06 cars is closed. Likelihood of anything remotely GT related is very, very slim. Cars continue to get wadded up. Some people go around claiming 2,000 have been totaled. Um, no. I would say more like 500 wiped from the earth, maybe double that with some kind of ding, and I get to see a whole lot of GTs in crashed condition with the VINs taped over.

I think the prices have gone up too fast recently, and there's some definite stupidity in the auction mania. But I don't think you're ever going to see them plummet back to MSRP. GT holds up well against cars nearly 10 years newer and it's just a fun car to drive/own. Part of the pricing is driven by the massive amount of people that own multiple. Guys that own them love them, and because they can't get a new one, they hoard the old ones.

I would say true market on virtually all cars is about what Shelby at Elite Autos asks. He's generally within a couple percentage points of what they sell for on his asking prices. He usually sells the lower mileage stuff (sub 10k), but I will say the higher mileage prices are what blow my mind. I've seen some pretty beat cars with 20k+ miles go for MSRP+. I thought a buddy of mine overpaid at $150k on a car that took a pretty heavy hit. Now I've seen similar cars go for $20k more. Wouldn't have called that one.

DBK,

I see that you have a FGT TT in your sig. Do you think that throwing the turbos on it will hurt the long term resale value versus just keeping it stock? Could you rip them off easily and take it back to stock if you wanted?