New Viper sales far lower than expected...

Mako

Bad reviews combined with a way-too-high-for-this-car MSRP equals poor sales. In other news, blue sky is blue.

Chrysler Cuts Viper Output Amid Slow Sales, Growing Inventory

Larry P. Vellequette

Automotive News

October 2, 2013 - 4:00 am ET

Chrysler Group has cut output of the SRT Viper by a third and will reassign scores of workers to other plants because of slow sales, growing inventories, and the onset of colder weather.

Workers at Chrysler's Conner Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit, where the car is assembled, were told of the production moves today. None will be laid off; instead they will be reassigned to other Chrysler plants in the Detroit area, a Chrysler spokeswoman said. The exact number of employees who will be reassigned is not yet known.

Chrysler had been building an average of nine Vipers per day. Under a revised production schedule, it will build six per day.

Ralph Gilles, head of the SRT brand, said that the Viper's delivery to Chrysler's 443 SRT-certified dealers was delayed earlier this year by difficulties in achieving internal quality standards set for the exotic sports coupe.

"We got off to a late start. We had hoped to begin shipping vehicles late last year, but we shipped the first 67 units in April," Gilles said. Chrysler lifted its self-imposed quality holds over the summer and shipped over 200 held Vipers to its SRT dealers in July and August.

"We typically do very well with the Viper in early spring," Gilles said.

The reengineered 2013 Viper was first shown in April 2012 at the New York auto show, but it wasn't available to dealers and customers until early this year.

The two-seat sports coupe is equipped with the automaker's most powerful engine, a naturally aspirated V-10 that produces 640 hp and 600 pounds-feet of torque.

Pricing for the 2014 model starts at $104,480, including destination, and each car comes with a "track day" of professional driving instruction included.

Gilles had originally said Viper production would be limited to 2,000 vehicles per year, but he said today that number proved optimistic.

"We're really looking at the reality of this type of car in this economy, as well as us controlling the market and making sure that we don't overbuild," Gilles said. The company built 805 Vipers during the 2013 model year, and has switched over to producing 2014 models now.

Gilles said that interest in the Viper remains strong, and that Chrysler received 2,000 dealer and customer orders for Vipers during 2013, including those for 2014 models.

Dealers were asked to pay a $25,000 fee and undergo special training in order to sell the Viper to retail customers.

In eight months on the market -- Viper's first sale was recorded in February -- Chrysler dealers have only sold 426 Vipers in the United States, and dealers have another 565 unsold units in stock -- a 289-day supply.Outside of the United States, the Viper is sold only in a handful of countries in the Middle East.

Even though the 2013 Viper now is now equipped with electronic stability control, which is required under federal safety law, the powerful rear-wheel-drive sports car is a slow seller in the winter months and its tires are not made for cold-weather driving.

Gilles said that most remaining unsold inventory is located in dealerships in warmer climates.

To boost consumer demand, Gilles said SRT would begin visiting Viper dealers in the Southeast in November to allow consumers to test-drive factory-owned Vipers. Some dealers have been reluctant to entrust the powerful and expensive sports cars -- which can retail at up to $160,000 -- to consumers with unknown driving skills. The program will spread north next spring with the return of warmer weather.

"We really have to focus on putting butts in seats," Gilles said. "A lot of people are unnecessarily intimidated by the car."

Vipers are hand-built at the Conner Avenue factory.

The plant was idled in July 2010 when the previous version of the sports car, which was then marketed under the Dodge brand, went out of production. It was reopened in December 2011 ahead of the production launch of the 2013 SRT Viper in December 2012.

Before today's changes were made, the plant had 171 employees, including 145 hourly and 26 salaried workers.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think they didn't prep the test the car correctly for Motor Trend or one of the other car mags. got bashed and results were less than stellar.

just like selling a house, you have to stage it. they didn't do their home work and then demand premium. poor marketing and execution. every other manufacturer brought a support team for best results.

i will always like viper's styling. i hope they learn their lesson and straighten themselves out. in today's market, you don't get many second takes.

I haven't seen any running around here, and I usually see everything.

:iamwithstupid:

It's a unicorn...haven't seen one yet. I saw three Ferrari's today and a truly hall of shame Gallardo, two tone purple and gold speckle paint job down by the Marina.

Guest Dereiter

True.

I've seen one in Northern VA and that's it.

Could be a candidate for good value car down the road. These things are good for the non fanboys.

I read the Motor Trend best driver's car test yesterday. The viper was dead last behind a Focus ST. The exhaust was melting the paint off the side of the car. The drivers seat bolts weren't even finger tight and one of the front hood grilles flew off and hit the windshield. Loud interior rattles and several other complaints. Hopefully the workers they transferred were the ones responsible for the shoddy build quality...doubtful.

I read the Motor Trend best driver's car test yesterday. The viper was dead last behind a Focus ST. The exhaust was melting the paint off the side of the car. The drivers seat bolts weren't even finger tight and one of the front hood grilles flew off and hit the windshield. Loud interior rattles and several other complaints. Hopefully the workers they transferred were the ones responsible for the shoddy build quality...doubtful.

Yes that was a particularly bad review, when a Ford Focus beats you you've got issues...

And you didn't even mention the serious problem they experienced with the brakes. Apparently some part of the motorized pedal adjustment broke, causing the brake pedal to go to the floor while they were doing the figure 8. They said if that had happened while they were on the track or the street it could have been disastrous. They also said that even if they ignored all the reliability/quality issues, they were only going to rank the car 8th out of 12. These things are going to depreciate like a rock.

I know a couple guy who have the cars and they love them, but it's a Shit ton of money for what it is.

I'll keep my search capped off at a 2001 model.

Saw a dark grey with white stripes in Hialeah today. Car just looked off somehow, imo at least, it didn't look nearly as good in person as it did in the pics

I think the Viper is in real trouble..... if they don't sell these coupes, the vert may never come and that could be the end....

I think the Viper is in real trouble..... if they don't sell these coupes, the vert may never come and that could be the end....

I hadn't thought of that, and you're right. Makes me wonder if the decision has already been made to axe the convertible already, because those numbers are really below expectations by a wide margin.

I think SRT might have been trying too hard to make the Viper something it is not.

Car companies need to stop this one size fits all styling, engineering, and personalities with their cars. Nobody bought the viper as a cheaper version of a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche and never will. And they certainly weren't looking for a POS clone in different bodywork.

Should have never stopped the last gen, and just used the 911 philosophy of evolving.

Based on that MT article it looks like it has been rushed to market.

Quality control seems non existent. They couldn't bother to send them the version they requested and the one they did send had 2 different types of tires on it. Plus all the aforementioned issues.

Polar opposite of the old days when manufacturers would send tuned cars to tests.

We are so far behind the times. Too many old men calling the shots. The future is the DCT trans and a car that doesn't smell like fiberglass and has the fit a finish of a kit car.

It also looked WAY to much like the old Viper.

Even though I have never been a fan of the Viper I am still sad. I would hate to see it go.

I know several people who own them and I have ridden in several of them. There is a story behind the Viper they sent for that article, I don't remember what it was, but it is not how the production cars are being made, it was a demo/return/unfinished car.

The big problem for the Viper isn't those little issues, because nobody that I know has had them. The problem is that it is underpowered, when it first came out in 1992 it blew everything away, there was nothing close. They should have came out with 700 HP, they should have had DCT or at least an option for DCT. It should be priced lower. It is just now middle of the pack.

I think the C7 is stealing all of the headlines as well it should. Once the ZR1 comes out with more HP it will be the hot thing for that market.

We are so far behind the times. Too many old men calling the shots. The future is the DCT trans and a car that doesn't smell like fiberglass and has the fit a finish of a kit car.

It also looked WAY to much like the old Viper.

Even though I have never been a fan of the Viper I am still sad. I would hate to see it go.

Don't know if it needs DCT. These cars have a personality not so congruent with that type of transmission. Violent car needs manual transmission with clutch.

Same applies to C7, C8 Chevrolet.

The big problem for the Viper isn't those little issues, because nobody that I know has had them. The problem is that it is underpowered, when it first came out in 1992 it blew everything away, there was nothing close. They should have came out with 700 HP, they should have had DCT or at least an option for DCT. It should be priced lower. It is just now middle of the pack.

I think the C7 is stealing all of the headlines as well it should. Once the ZR1 comes out with more HP it will be the hot thing for that market.

Marketing wise yes, otherwise Vipers have plenty of power.

The torque down low from the 8.4 has got to be to be the best this side of a Tesla.

The ZR1 might be faster in a drag race but probably doesn't feel as fast.