New Viper sales far lower than expected...

Mako

Don't know if it needs DCT. These cars have a personality not so congruent with that type of transmission. Violent car needs manual transmission with clutch.

Same applies to C7, C8 Chevrolet.

Marketing wise yes, otherwise Vipers have plenty of power.

The torque down low from the 8.4 has got to be to be the best this side of a Tesla.

The ZR1 might be faster in a drag race but probably doesn't feel as fast.

Cars sell on marketing and reviews from the mags. So marketing makes a difference in sales.

As far as the automatic. I think with the right auto it could make a huge difference. I am getting ready to install a TH400 in my Gen 2. Technology has made huge improvements in automatic transmissions, not sure why the viper folk feel that having a raw car with no "nannies", auto, launch control, and all of the rest make it any worse off. That is like sticking with AM radio and arguing it is the best.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on the "reality" of car sales.

However its obvious that srt will not be able to make a better car than Chevrolet C7, Porsche 911 gt2/3, Ferrari 458, etc playing by their rules. That much I'm very confident in.

Gotta make a stand sometimes. This was a car that didn't have AB-f'n-S brakes until 2002 or so. It was meant to be a crude beast with simplistic technology and that's what it should always be. The ACR vipers in capable hands are very competent on the track.

And we all see the manual is dead in Europe high end for the most part. Need to keep it alive.

It's not a car for everyone. the day this car becomes docile enough to not intimidate the drivers will be a sad day for the car world.

Its bad enough everyone can easily drive a modern Lambo.

Cars sell on marketing and reviews from the mags. So marketing makes a difference in sales.

As far as the automatic. I think with the right auto it could make a huge difference. I am getting ready to install a TH400 in my Gen 2. Technology has made huge improvements in automatic transmissions, not sure why the viper folk feel that having a raw car with no "nannies", auto, launch control, and all of the rest make it any worse off. That is like sticking with AM radio and arguing it is the best.

Btw I like the th400.

Love the concept of a vintage auto killing it in modern day.

The same reason people like diablos, f40s, and the carrera GT. It probably isn't as fast as it could be, but it also makes it a fcuk load more fun to drive.

Btw I like the th400.

Love the concept of a vintage auto killing it in modern day.

I am just a cheap bastard. I am tired of breaking stuff. Went through 3 built T56's, 2 rear ends, and a set of axles. Took it out Friday night and spun through every gear on drag radials on the street. I figure throw in an auto, not break anything and I can live with 7.6 - 8.2 1/4 miles all day long and then drive it home.

I am just a cheap bastard. I am tired of breaking stuff. Went through 3 built T56's, 2 rear ends, and a set of axles. Took it out Friday night and spun through every gear on drag radials on the street. I figure throw in an auto, not break anything and I can live with 7.6 - 8.2 1/4 miles all day long and then drive it home.

you'll love it. I went through the same thing in my TA, after 5-6 T56s, I put a TH400 in 5years ago, and never broke anything again, and the car is wayyyy faster with it...

you'll love it. I went through the same thing in my TA, after 5-6 T56s, I put a TH400 in 5years ago, and never broke anything again, and the car is wayyyy faster with it...

Yep. T56's are for the birds:)

I've been reading on the viper forum.

Sounds like a large majority of the viper guys really don't like this 5th Gen and knew it wouldn't succeed especially when the corvette offers so much for a lot less.

I've also seen them saying this current Gen they did something with the cars computer to lock them and it's made them unable to be modded...so if you buy one,the HP it has is where its going to stay.

SRT really missed the mark with this..

i have had 4 vipers i love them and wanted a new one but at the price range i bought the gallardo it was a no brainer. at 85k i would have bought a viper now after the lambo i will never own anything else. i know 5 others who have doe the same and will never go back

i have had 4 vipers i love them and wanted a new one but at the price range i bought the gallardo it was a no brainer. at 85k i would have bought a viper now after the lambo i will never own anything else. i know 5 others who have doe the same and will never go back

Looks like a lot of loyal Viper guys like you are jumping ship.

Also on autotrader there are 350+ new vipers listed for sale :shock:

I've been reading on the viper forum.

Sounds like a large majority of the viper guys really don't like this 5th Gen and knew it wouldn't succeed especially when the corvette offers so much for a lot less.

I've also seen them saying this current Gen they did something with the cars computer to lock them and it's made them unable to be modded...so if you buy one,the HP it has is where its going to stay.

SRT really missed the mark with this..

I've heard that SRT will be releasing their own in-house tunable pcm so that could be abrasion for the lock. Most guys went full standalone anyway.

I think if GM didn't have a lock on the super sport tires, lap times and press would have been a lot different. Aside from that the thing is just too fcuking much money.

As I said, my viper search starts at 12 yrs old.

I wonder what happened that so much incompetence occurred from pricing to the quality-control of the Motor Trend test model, etc...

yea, but they stuck a super long 1st gear in the car, my Ford GT has way more torque down low....

The torque down low from the 8.4 has got to be to be the best this side of a Tesla.

The ZR1 might be faster in a drag race but probably doesn't feel as fast.

yea, but they stuck a super long 1st gear in the car, my Ford GT has way more torque down low....

You can thank the blower for that.

I miss my FGT :eusa_wall:

You can thank the blower for that.

I miss my FGT :eusa_wall:

FGT did have ridiculous torque the one time I drove one.

I think the Viper's final drive is pretty tall...like 3.07. Swap to 3.73 and should be a big difference.

It's quite possible it's intentional because the torque might be too much.

FGT did have ridiculous torque the one time I drove one.

I think the Viper's final drive is pretty tall...like 3.07. Swap to 3.73 and should be a big difference.

It's quite possible it's intentional because the torque might be too much.

Yes sir.. 3.07 is the "standard" Viper rear gear ratio. A swap makes a world of difference.

Yes sir.. 3.07 is the "standard" Viper rear gear ratio. A swap makes a world of difference.

the Gen 5 has a higher ratio, 3.55 maybe?

the Gen 5 has a higher ratio, 3.55 maybe?

It is, but they also went from a 2.66 first to a 2.26 which pretty much negates the change, still a 60mph first gear.

• 5 months later...

I had a red 04 Viper SRT-10 and have to admit that this car made me feel happy. BUT time has changed and at the present time i would not take a brand new Viper because i prefer aristocratic cars. The Power is cheap.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got more info on these? They're starting to hit $85kish for new cars, seems like a lot of bang for the buck for a dd.

Anyone got more info on these? They're starting to hit $85kish for new cars, seems like a lot of bang for the buck for a dd.

I was thinking the same thing. At 85k I will take one to mess with for a bit..

What do.you want to know? Honestly they are great cars and with a tire swap will run circles around most anything, Plastic mess-06 included.