Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Not the same car, but still motivation for how it'll be when finished! I like the red interior, it's wild!

Yes, I could tell by the wing. I think alot of them where painted all white, as the white out look was big in the 80s.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Engine lid release cable is sticking. Had it open once, now it won't open :lol2: oh well. I don't feel like dicking with it tonight. Do you have any pointers on that?

With P300 and Silhouette there are two releases. One in the driver's door jamb the other in the trunk top left. Don't know if this is the case with a Jalpa but maybe worth a look...

With P300 and Silhouette there are two releases. One in the driver's door jamb the other in the trunk top left. Don't know if this is the case with a Jalpa but maybe worth a look...

Yeah I found the trunk cable. Well, I should say, my friend found it and pointed it out as we were looking in the trunk. I pulled it, *pop* and the engine lid was free. Feels kind of ghetto to me, so I'll probably replace the main cable.

Been working hard on the Jalpa all day. My wife says I'm just horsin' around. Manely I'm just having fun.

y8Yx3PJ.jpg

Funny dude....funny dude lol

Been working hard on the Jalpa all day. My wife says I'm just horsin' around. Manely I'm just having fun.

y8Yx3PJ.jpg

I don't know, you look more like a Ferrari guy in that pic.

I don't know, you look more like a Ferrari guy in that pic.

That's what happens when a ferrari horse is caught in a lambo, the look on his face... caught with his pants down!

Sort a like the Jalpa woke up with you were sleeping in the drivers seat..

post-37-1383331592.png

I'll hopefully have it figured out soon, but does anyone know how the center console that comes from the front to the firewall comes out? Feels like it's bolted it UNDER the car. Guess I'll find out shortly. Don't want to damage anything prying it out, figure I'll take my time.

This is pretty much how things are going right now.

pdwah.jpg

I'll hopefully have it figured out soon, but does anyone know how the center console that comes from the front to the firewall comes out? Feels like it's bolted it UNDER the car. Guess I'll find out shortly. Don't want to damage anything prying it out, figure I'll take my time.

Do you have a part manual for the Jalpa? I would say that is essential as you go forward. The exploded part views give you an idea of how things go together and come apart. If you do not have one, there are almost always copies available on ebay and they can be found at various places on the net.

Congrats and good luck..... Hope you know what you got yourself into :)

You probably should PM the Jalpa owners....ie Joey, Raymond, even Mike with the Countach who had the Japla, etc.....

Do you have a part manual for the Jalpa? I would say that is essential as you go forward. The exploded part views give you an idea of how things go together and come apart. If you do not have one, there are almost always copies available on ebay and they can be found at various places on the net.

Congrats and good luck..... Hope you know what you got yourself into :)

I have most of the interior apart. Right now I'm working my way down, but there is no way to get all of it out without getting that center console out. I've been quite careful putting pieces away, keeping the hardware with them, etc. The largest issue here is the clusterfuck of wires from all the stereo stuff. It's absolutely insane how much wiring went into that. I'll be happy to simplify it.

(edit) after some searching on the internet, found a thread where someone was dealing with the same, looks like I need to remove the leather shelf cover on the back of the dash as I have the other screws undone. Will take pics. Quite literally the rear of the interior is all out, just need the center console out and the carpet and everything can start coming out. Wasn't hard to figure out but the center console has been kicking my ass. Wish I'd known about that screw.

Alright, carpet is pretty much all out, center console is almost all out (hanging from heater cables). Deadening off the firewall is out, seat belts disconnected, leather panels in the rear are out and safely stored, trim as well. It's pretty stripped down on the inside. Aftermarket stereo stuff is almost all gone. The center plating on the under side of the car is also out so I could inspect brake lines and coolant lines as well. Tomorrow I'll keep on keepin' on. Will try and get some pics but it's too dark right now. Not bad for a day of work.

Step one. Turn on flash.

Step two. Take picture.

Step three. Post to LP.

Step four. Remain in everyone's good graces!!!

Damn, I was gonna say is it done yet to joke around but it sound like you're getting down :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I hate flash, makes it look way worse than it really is :lol2: I promise, pics tomorrow :)

Uh, are you going to tell everybody about the engine?????

Yes. It's really an LS1! :eusa_dance: AWWWW YEAH!

Just kidding. Yeah it looks like the engine got flooded with gasoline a bit. The fuel line is cut to the carbs. So my assumption is the fuel pump malfunctioned or the floats were messed up and it just puked gas. Although gas doesn't really worry me since it shouldn't cause rust. I pulled the oil cap and the top end looks clean as a whistle (albeit with a strong strong odor of gas). Put a flex mirror down it and looked around, clean as a whistle. Will flush it tomorrow and see what the bottom end looks like. I suspect the same. Made me cringe at first though. :repuke: Long as it looks clean and I can flush it, I'm not concerned.

Keep your fingers seriously crossed as I have seen fuel pumps the cause of a valve job.

Keep your fingers seriously crossed as I have seen fuel pumps the cause of a valve job.

If it is then it is. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. One thing at a time :)

If it is then it is. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. One thing at a time :)

That's the right attitude. No sense in getting overwhelmed and frazzled, just break it down into manageable sections.

So here is where the interior started

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

I cleaned the seats up today. The leather and everything is in amazing shape, just super dirty since the car sat for a while.

DSC_0155.jpg

Driver side is obviously not perfect, but it's still nice.

DSC_0154.jpg

All of this bullshit came out of the car today.

DSC_0173.jpg

I put it in a box, I doubt I will use it again.

DSC_0176.jpg

Interior as I was taking it apart.

2013-11-01160310.jpg

State of the interior now. Looks rusty but that's actually glue from the carpet and insulation. I plan on stripping the rest of it off tomorrow. There's no way to properly get to all the wiring harnesses without getting the carpet and covering out of the car. I figured the carpet looks like crap anyway, so I just tore it out so I can go through it properly.

DSC_0175.jpg

Got the engine lid open with the spare cable.

2013-10-31145735.jpg

Took the center plates off. They're in good shape. Needs new hardware, old hardware is old and rusty (not surprising).

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Carpet is all out. It's old, grungy, messed up in some places. Measured it so I can order new carpet and make my own.

2013-11-02143636.jpg

I think that's enough for today.

DSC_0178.jpg