Resurrecting Jalpa #359

Kerplop

Kerplop the reason why the thread is so enjoyable is because of your passion, keep up the good work!

Yes on the Huracan, I've ordered a Rosso Mars, counting the days until October.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kerplop the reason why the thread is so enjoyable is because of your passion, keep up the good work!

Yes on the Huracan, I've ordered a Rosso Mars, counting the days until October.

Congrats on the Huracan! I bet that is a fantastic feeling! Can't wait to see pictures!

Alright, called up an old autobody shop I worked for as a teen. The guy still has his shop open. He's cool with me dropping by and using his sand blaster. So later this week I'll gather up all the stuff that looks ancient that needs refreshed and take it in for a good sand blasting session :) I am off to work on the linkage and cooling system. I'll try and get more pictures.

Congrats on the Huracan! I bet that is a fantastic feeling! Can't wait to see pictures!

Thank you, I will post photos when I get it.

Well, I got a new coil installed on my trackday project 924. Burned up the last one due to my forgetting the resistor for it, hah. Went back out and finished getting the linkage disconnected on the Jalpa. There's no more shifter linkage in the car, it's 100% disconnected now.

Got the oil cooler out of the way as well, I forgot about that line. SO pending coolant/AC, this engine is ready to drop. I finished up the last few wires that were attached and moved things out of the way. Don't have enough containers to get the coolant out (and I think the capacity is something wild like 2-3 gallons if I remember reading correctly). I've given up attempting to get the damn carbs out with the engine in it due to all the old bolts and difficulty of reaching in the corners. It'll be a million times easier with the engine out.

As you can see, nothing that isn't attached to the engine is connected, minus AC/coolant. Should be out sooooooon. I'm legitimately amazed though at how incredibly simple the subframe appears to be to drop.

3-22-2014.jpg

Crazy how much room that area takes up with the oil cooler.

3-22-20142.jpg

The oil cooler looks to be in fantastic shape, but I'll still have it flushed and pressure checked since it's out. Also will sandblast the mount and repaint it since it looks like some of the edges have flaked with some rust. It's all about the little things.

3-22-20143.jpg

Linkage to the transmission. Will probably have it glassbeaded and go ahead and powder coat it so it's no longer "a thing"...

3-22-20144.jpg

Very nice! Getting things done for sure.

At least you didnt do like me...when my master cylinder was failing and i couldnt get the car into gear i just pulled as hard as i could and snapped the shifter in half lol.

Very nice! Getting things done for sure.

At least you didnt do like me...when my master cylinder was failing and i couldnt get the car into gear i just pulled as hard as i could and snapped the shifter in half lol.

OUCH! Now that sucks! I can see how someone could do it though when it's frozen up like that.

Those hose ends on the oil cooler look non oem.

Interesting. Any photos of an OEM hose end for them? My assumption would be that it was likely a screw on type with a screw on fitting? There's several ends on various hoses on this car that appear to be converted to this type of end. For instance, the AC lines. Someone left the ac fittings tightened to the AC pump, however, has the actual ac lines held down with hose clamps which is uhhhh, interesting to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...
Put your tools away before you lose them damnit

On this very note, I bought some stuff to organize my walls and sockets. So I'll do that on my next day off.

That said... I forgot the CV joints in the Jalpa. So they are all that's hanging between me and engine removal. However, they're being incredibly stubborn due to the metal dowels holding them in. My guess would be they haven't been off/out before. Next day off.

Is it finished yet? We should take bets.. what will be done first.. this or Wiggs car?

What's Wiggs doing? Did I miss something?

Odd as it sounds I havent spent a ton of time on the various subforums but did a quick search and found an sv thread.

1 month later... engine gaskets have arrived!

Did you ever find carbs?

Nope. I'm still somewhere bent between "Let's convert this mofo to EFI" and "I'd like to go with carbs" so engine rebuild first... carbs/efi later.

Feels like Christmas lol

Will REALLY feel like Christmas when I get the damn stubborn CV joint out and finally drop the engine so the real work can begin.

Kerplop, just came across this thread. WOW, seeing an old friend. My company did all of the custom work on that car for the original owner, a gold merchant client of ours in NYC. It's hard to imagine looking at the pictures, but that car was a James Bond Special. The give away (and there are many) is the proprietary alarm control box under the drivers seat. In its day, the work done to that car was "state of the art". We wowed crowds at the NY auto show with the array of electronics integrated into the cockpit, all of which were way ahead of its time and worked perfectly with the cars 12V power supply. Those were the Miami Vice days...... and this client wanted to do a Sonny Crockett "Lambo style" just not with a TR. Good Luck with your restoration.

Kerplop, just came across this thread. WOW, seeing an old friend. My company did all of the custom work on that car for the original owner, a gold merchant client of ours in NYC. It's hard to imagine looking at the pictures, but that car was a James Bond Special. The give away (and there are many) is the proprietary alarm control box under the drivers seat. In its day, the work done to that car was "state of the art". We wowed crowds at the NY auto show with the array of electronics integrated into the cockpit, all of which were way ahead of its time and worked perfectly with the cars 12V power supply. Those were the Miami Vice days...... and this client wanted to do a Sonny Crockett "Lambo style" just not with a TR. Good Luck with your restoration.

HOLY CRAP! Wow, I'm finally running across someone who knows the history of this car!

Interesting information. I suppose I'm too used to seeing the stuff of today's technology and sometimes forget the stuff that was available back in the day. You guys must have had some seriously incredible patience to wire this thing up. No doubt a lot of wiring to sort through. I couldn't find any labels are model numbers on the stuff under the seat so I could not tell if that was part of the alarm or phone system. How long ago was all of this done to the car? There is a ton of wiring in the car.

This car was at the NY Auto Show?!?!?!?!? Do you have pictures?

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it and hope to learn some more about the car.

Very cool that the car's electronics history can now be traced. Perhaps we now know what that device is/was located where the rear license is suppose to be.

Very cool that the car's electronics history can now be traced. Perhaps we now know what that device is/was located where the rear license is suppose to be.

I was told by the member of another forum that it is supposedly a reverse light? Perhaps 360challenge will let us know. I'm interested as well.

I was told by the member of another forum that it is supposedly a reverse light? Perhaps 360challenge will let us know. I'm interested as well.

It does look the part but why would a license plate be in the way then; unless Lamborghini was thinking purely Euro-plates.